• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 8, 2011

nli10

Kirby will do better in 2nd week. Not much better mind, but it should go up in the Wii chart.

Frankly I haven't played the 2 Wii games I got for Xmas yet so great as it looks I'd just be buying more clutter.

Pokemon next week. Will people prefer Black or White?

In a heavily competative FPS market of today even the smallest amounts of design faults are heavily punished, sales-wise. KZ3 needed more dev time. It got rushed, thus the failure to match prequel's sales

BTW - how many days did KZ2 have week 1?

newjeruse

Lagspike_exe said:
In a heavily competative FPS market of today even the smallest amounts of design faults are heavily punished, sales-wise. KZ3 needed more dev time. It got rushed, thus the failure to match prequel's sales
Eh, I really doubt that has anything to do with it. MoH had a shitload of issues and sold fine.

I need solid NA numbers to come to any conclusions about KZ3. I think it will outsell KZ2 in its first month by a good amount.

newjeruse said:
Eh, I really doubt that has anything to do with it. MoH had a shitload of issues and sold fine.

I need solid NA numbers to come to any conclusions about KZ3. I think it will outsell KZ2 in its first month by a good amount.

I agree we need the USA numbers to make the final conclusion. For the reference, KZ2 did 300k first month and another 300k the second month, but it only had a few days of sales, while KZ3 will have a total of 6.

Psychotext said:
On a random note, I've noticed in the past few weeks that GT5 and Kinect Sports were tracking very close to each other, but GT5 took a fairly big tumble this week.

GT5 / Kinect Sports
Week 1: 04th vs 06th
Week 2: 04th vs 03rd
Week 3: 08th vs 06th
Week 4: 13th vs 12th
Week 5: 17th vs 16th
Week 6: 22nd vs 23rd
Week 7: 26th vs 22nd
Week 8: 34th vs 24th

Meaningless, obviously. But it caught my eye.

I thought it was interesting that Joy Ride outsold GT5 this week.

Lagspike_exe said:
I agree we need the USA numbers to make the final conclusion. For the reference, KZ2 did 300k first month and another 300k the second month, but it only had a few days of sales, while KZ3 will have a total of 6.

I think even LBP2 did more than that first month. KZ3 will probably be a decent amount higher than KZ2 for the first month in the US.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
szaromir said:
Killzone 2 was 4th at the time, only GT5 had a stronger debut in the meantime. I know three games that sold stronger than KZ2 in week 1 (GT4, GT5P, GT5), what's the fourth one?

The actual gap between KZ2 and KZ3 might not be that big though, something like 100k vs 70k might be the case...
GT4?
It says "this generation". sorry I'm fucking blind, I misread a comment, my mistake!

Also, I don't want to be rude or anything believe me, but please don't pull numbers out of your ass since we don't appreciate that in sales-age.

szaromir

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
GT4?
It says "this generation".
Also, I don't want to be rude or anything believe me, but please don't pull numbers out of your ass since we don't appreciate that in sales-age.
Where?

I didn't mean to mislead anyone and really wasn't suggesting that they are real numbers, just that they might not be far apart. Anyway, the upper boundary for KZ2 week 1 sales is 130k (GT5P sales).

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Italian Charts, Week 7

From 14/02/2011 to 20/02/2011

1) Kinect Adventures + Kinect (XBox 360) Microsoft
2) Just Dance 2 (Wii) Ubisoft
3) Mario Sports Mix (Wii) Nintendo
4) Wii Fit Plus + Balance Board (Wii) Nintendo
5) Wii Party (Wii) Nintendo
6) Art Academy (DS) Nintendo
7) Little Big Planet 2 (PS3) Sony
8) Gran Turismo 5 (PS3) Sony
9) Fifa 11 (PS3) Electronic Arts
10) New Super Mario Bros (Wii) Nintendo

GreatSage

Banned
szaromir said:
Where?

I didn't mean to mislead anyone and really wasn't suggesting that they are real numbers, just that they might not be far apart. Anyway, the upper boundary for KZ2 week 1 sales is 130k (GT5P sales).

Btw I asked somebody at work, and they said the other PS3 title that had more sales than KZ2 in Week 1 was Grand Theft Auto 4 ("99 per cent sure").

GreatSage

Banned
szaromir said:
Not Sony published.

Duh - ask the wrong question, get the wrong answer

The Getaway did ~240K in sales in the UK between release (Dec 11) and Dec 24.

It still holds the record for fast- selling (Week 1) new IP on all-platforms in the UK. The next best is Assassins Creed (X360 + PS3).

That should give you enough data to roughly extrapolate its Week 1 sales -- it's gonna be pretty close to the GT5P figure (probably more).

dabra

2up4lc5.png

Germany:
Week 8, 2011

01 (__) [PS3] Killzone 3 (Sony)
02 (01) [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo)
03 (__) [PS3] Dead Space 2 (Electronic Arts)
04 (__) [WII] Kirby's Epic Yarn (Nintendo)
05 (02) [WII] Donkey Kong Country Returns (Nintendo)
06 (__) [PS3] Killzone 3 - Collector's Edition (Sony)
07 (08) [PS3] Fifa 11 (Electronic Arts)
08 (__) [PS3] Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (Electronic Arts)
09 (__) [NDS] Art Academy (Nintendo)
10 (05) [NDS] Mario Vs Donkey Kong: Mini-land Mayhem! (Nintendo)

Dash Kappei said:
Italian Charts, Week 7

From 14/02/2011 to 20/02/2011

1) Kinect Adventures + Kinect (XBox 360) Microsoft 
Freaky, never would have imagined the 360 doing anything in Italy.

That said, you'd have thought Dance Central would appear somewhere given the popularity of Just Dance 2.

Kenka

dabra said:
2up4lc5.png

Germany:
Week 8, 2011

01 (__) [PS3] Killzone 3 (Sony)
02 (01) [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo)
03 (__) [PS3] Dead Space 2 (Electronic Arts)
04 (__) [WII] Kirby's Epic Yarn (Nintendo)
05 (02) [WII] Donkey Kong Country Returns (Nintendo)
06 (__) [PS3] Killzone 3 - Collector's Edition (Sony)
07 (08) [PS3] Fifa 11 (Electronic Arts)
08 (__) [PS3] Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (Electronic Arts)
09 (__) [NDS] Art Academy (Nintendo)
10 (05) [NDS] Mario Vs Donkey Kong: Mini-land Mayhem! (Nintendo)

jurgen-klopp.jpg

I thought De Blob 2 came out and there was a big push...must have been mistaken.

Yoshiya said:
Tactics Ogre :/ Top 40 would have been encouraging.
Its the number 1 selling PSP game this week in the UK...the fact theres only a PSP top 10 probably means it sold the best out of stuff that sells nothing...which kind of proves the point, sadly.

Ushojax said:
Anyway, disappointing start for Epic Yarn but I'm sure it will be a low burner and do alright in the end. NoE have to take some of the blame if it doesn't though, they fucked around with the release date just like they did with Superstar Ultra. Staggered launches are so antiquated a practice.
I'm just pleased it wasn't 51 weeks later, with no distribution and no marketing this time...

I find it delicious that the reason for delaying it was "hey SMAS and DKCR, thats enough Kirby would wind up canibalised in the 2D platformer market" and what happened in the UK. The eternal NSBW (though uncelar how many are from bundles) and DKCR ended up outselling it anyway. I'm sure is SMAS wasn't this silly limited edition malarky it would have also...

Then again DKCR was a slow burner so maybe Kirby still has a chance.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Not surprised that Kirby isn't doing so well. NOT because it's a Kirby game, but because it's the "Yoshi's Story" of the Kirby franchise —some might also call it "Kirby's Dreamland 3 part deux"—: too cute for its own good, too easy, and it just feels different from other Kirby platformers. In essence it's just "What would Kirby play like if we turned it into a kiddy game". By kiddy I don't mean "for ages 6 and up", I mean "for 6 year olds period". Yeah, I like the artstyle too (heck, I might even pick the game up at some point if I can find it for a low price), but that's a purely subjective thing, and in this case it only aggravates the kiddiness of the game. Make games that appeal to a broad age range like you usually claim to, Nintendo, not just for toddlers.

(Also make Kirby's Pinball Land 2, but that's just for me, alright?)

Hammer24 said:
Was there some kind of discount?

This... i heard about a very special price on Mediaworld or another great chain for some anniversary.

But i don't think a single offer can be some much in a chart!

Shiggy

Kilrogg said:
Not surprised that Kirby isn't doing so well. NOT because it's a Kirby game, but because it's the "Yoshi's Story" of the Kirby franchise —some might also call it "Kirby's Dreamland 3 part deux"—: too cute for its own good, too easy, and it just feels different from other Kirby platformers. In essence it's just "What would Kirby play like if we turned it into a kiddy game". By kiddy I don't mean "for ages 6 and up", I mean "for 6 year olds period". Yeah, I like the artstyle too (heck, I might even pick the game up at some point if I can find it for a low price), but that's a purely subjective thing, and in this case it only aggravates the kiddiness of the game. Make games that appeal to a broad age range like you usually claim to, Nintendo, not just for toddlers.

I believe that NoE didn't really advertise Kirby over here and even shoved it into one of the slower months. They hadn't much faith even at the beginning.

Kurtofan

dabra said:
87m2hiv.png

France:
Week 7, 2011

01 (__) [PS3] Marvel Vs Capcom 3: Fate Of Two Worlds (Capcom)
02 (03) [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision)
03 (04) [WII] Just Dance 2 (Ubisoft)
04 (__) [360] Marvel Vs Capcom 3: Fate Of Two Worlds (Capcom)
05 (01) [PS3] Test Drive Unlimited 2 (Namco Bandai Games)
Haha yes!
Had no idea Marvel was so popular here :)

BritBloke916 said:
If you're a PS3 owner in the mood for an FPS this week, are you really going to choose Bulletstorm (relatively crappy port of a game that's pretty divisive to start with) over Killzone 3 (first-party exclusive triple A goodness)?

Bulletstorm.

Kilrogg said:

Why does Sean Malstrom have a GAF account?

Road

UK January Top 10 (Chart-Track / Enterbrain)

1 [WII] Just Dance 2 - 95,000
2 [PS3] LittleBigPlanet 2 - 88,000
3 [WII] Wii Fit Plus - 65,000
4 [360] Call of Duty: Black Ops - 52,000
5 [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 - 50,000
6 [360] Kinect Sports - 49,000
7 [360] FIFA 11 - 48,000
8 [360] Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - 41,000
9 [360] Dead Space 2 - 39,000
10 [NDS] Art Academy - 38,000

December 2010

Road said:

7 [360] FIFA 11 - 48,000
Good job.

I think Kirby is one of the most beautiful games I've laid my eyes on. IMO it looks far more attractive than LBP and it's on the Wii no less. I'm hoping it does well as I'll do anything for a proper 2D platformer revival.

szaromir

Banned
Chart-Track said:
This is Sony’s 2nd All Formats No1 this year, after ‘LittleBigPlanet 2’ on PS3 back in week 3, which showed similar week 1 sell-through to ‘Killzone 3’.
Week 1 sales for LBP 2 are around 58k.

Kenka

Road said:

7 [360] FIFA 11 - 48,000

Good showing for the PS3 exculsives. I am a bit disappointed about Dead Space 2 sales though.

dabra

Nordic Chart
Week 7, 2011

01 (02) Call Of Duty: Black Ops
02 (03) FIFA 11
03 (08) The Sims 3
04 (06) New Super Mario Bros
05 (01) Test Drive Unlimited 2
06 (05) Battlefield Bad Company 2
07 (04) Littlebigplanet 2
08 (__) Marvel Vs Capcom 3: Fate Of Two Worlds
09 (07) Dead Space 2
10 (__) The Sims 3 : Late Night
11 (20) NHL 11
12 (16) Medal of Honor
13 (12) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
14 (09) Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
15 (14) Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga
16 (10) The Sims 3: Outdoor Living Stuff
17 (11) Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
18 (__) Toy Story 3
19 (18) Mario Kart
20 (15) World Of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Week 8, 2011

01 (__) Killzone 3
02 (__) Bulletstorm
03 (01) Call Of Duty: Black Ops
04 (02) FIFA 11
05 (03) The Sims 3
06 (04) New Super Mario Bros
07 (06) Battlefield Bad Company 2
08 (11) NHL 11
09 (16) The Sims 3: Outdoor Living Stuff
10 (13) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
11 (10) The Sims 3 : Late Night
12 (15) Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga
13 (17) Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
14 (07) Littlebigplanet 2
15 (12) Medal of Honor
16 (05) Test Drive Unlimited 2
17 (14) Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
18 (__) Lego Batman
19 (__) MASS EFFECT 2
20 (20) World Of Warcraft: Cataclysm

KingDizzi

Banned
Bye bye GT5, expected better legs but I also expected a better game. Killzone 3 legs depend on the quality of the game, it has been advertised more than enough here in the UK and continues to be advertised.

Well, Kirby did go up. So I was right about the ads pushing it upwards in the 2nd week.

Shame it wasn't by much though.

OMG Aero said:
Suck it Black. Winning White reigns supreme.

Zekrom>>>Reshiram It was inevitable

Pooya

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=1047&s=1111
Nintendo storm the top of the charts this week in what is by far the biggest ever launch of Pokemon games across one weekend in the UK.

‘Pokemon White Version’ becomes the 2nd fastest selling DS game ever (behind Professor Layton and Pandora’s Box), debuting at No1, 13,000 sales ahead of sister title ‘Pokemon Black Version’ which enters at No2. If you combine their sales together they become Nintendo’s third biggest ever UK launch (behind Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii). Last week’s No1 ‘Killzone 3’ (-58%) falls down to No5, making way for both Pokemons as well as EA’s latest boxing title ‘Fight Night Champion’, new at No3, ahead of EA’s ‘Bulletstorm’ (-46%) which slips from No2 to No4. In the wake of half-term week, sales across all games in the Top 20 are down with ‘Black Ops’ (-54%) falling from No3 to No6 (its lowest ever chart position), while ‘Just Dance 2’ only falls 2 places to No7 with a respectable 20% drop in sales. EA and Nintendo occupy the remaining positions in the Top 10 with ‘FIFA 11’ (-40%) and ‘Dead Space 2’ (-59%) at No’s 8 and 9 and ‘Wii Party’ (-43%) at No10. There are not only new entries in the Top 10; two new PC titles also make the cut with THQ’s ‘Dawn of War II: Retribution’ launching at No17 and the MMORPG ‘Rift’ from newcomer Trion Worlds debuting at No19

szaromir

Banned
So ummmm what's the difference between Black and White? Aren't the differences superficial, just to suck money from collectors who want to have all versions?

Top Bottom