• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 8, 2011

StuBurns

Banned
BritBloke916 said:
If you're a PS3 owner in the mood for an FPS this week, are you really going to choose Bulletstorm (relatively crappy port of a game that's pretty divisive to start with) over Killzone 3 (first-party exclusive triple A goodness)?
This shit enrages me.

It's a crappy port because it's missing a few 'god rays'? Seriously?

test_account said:
How much did it sell?

Less than KZ2 by at least a decent amount. Even if it isn't by much it has to be disappointing. The install base has went up heaps since then and sequels are usually more frontloaded.

BritBloke916 said:
If you're a PS3 owner in the mood for an FPS this week, are you really going to choose Bulletstorm (relatively crappy port of a game that's pretty divisive to start with) over Killzone 3 (first-party exclusive triple A goodness)?
Bulletstorm is only one point lower on Metacritic than KZ3, so not really any more "pretty divisive" than KZ3 from a critical standpoint. But I get it, it's not exclusive, not first party, so it can't possibly be as good.

Why can't people be pleased that a new IP has done well? Especially given the endless sequels we're faced with at the moment (and from first parties at that). Bulletstorm is the only new core IP in the entire top 40.

GreatSage said:
GoW3 sold 1.2M in its first week. snip...

You might want to edit that shit out. Chartzzz is banned and a bannable offence I think.

Anyway, GoW is a much stronger franchise in the US than in Europe, Uncharted is strong everywhere.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
StuBurns said:
This shit enrages me.

yes, seriously. They were hyping up god rays since the game's unveiling and even did a blog post about them recently on PCF official site. You don't fucking hype features that are absent.

StuBurns said:
This shit enrages me.

The Digital Foundry comparison also wasn't favourable on all sorts of other points (tearing, framerate, you name it). Admittedly, that was a comparison done by Digital Foundry.

smh at some of the comments in this thread. Wouch and it's not even the jnrs...

Anyways, great to see Killzone 3 on the top spot, no suprise to see Bulletstorm PS3 a lot lower down the list than it's counterpart and you can't blame people for that.

Interesting to see no Kirby though and possibly Tactics.

Monty Mole said:
Bulletstorm is only one point lower on Metacritic than KZ3, so not really any more "pretty divisive" than KZ3 from a critical standpoint. But I get it, it's not exclusive, not first party, so it can't possibly be as good.

Fair enough, for what it's worth I'm not especially interested in either. I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of an FPS fan with only a PS3 (an unlikely scenario, I'll grant you). I utterly despise what I've seen of Bulletstorm (to me, it seems to be an unfunny parody of the genre) and the GAF threads had led me to believe that I was far from alone - but if the critics and the majority of shooter fans are lapping it up, then more power to them.

StuBurns

Banned
BritBloke916 said:
The Digital Foundry comparison also wasn't favourable on all sorts of other points (tearing, framerate, you name it). Admittedly, that was a comparison done by Digital Foundry.
Essentially though it's a content completely port at the same native resolution, same lack of AA and basically 30fps, it's not a perfect port, but it's not a bad one, and I seriously doubt it affected the performance of the game in any way. The gap in quality is nothing compared to something like Black Ops which has SKUs side by side.

GreatSage

Banned
KingDizzi said:
I assume you mean the chartzz in which case ioi's magic number farm, I can also pull numbers out my arse so yeah, best not to bring figures from his site up on this forum.

Meh. We only use them for hardware sales data, and only for collaborative purposes. Had no idea their software figures were fudgy. We only picked up their subscription cos they were cited in an industry analysis survey. I'll be sure to pass on the message to my superiors.

confuziz

Banned
GreatSage said:
Meh. We only use them for hardware sales data, and only for collaborative purposes. Had no idea their software figures were fudgy. We only picked up their subscription cos they were cited in an industry analysis survey. I'll be sure to pass on the message to my superiors.

It's the internet dude. Make your own judgement.

GreatSage said:

I'm not sure how much their subscription fees are but we pay over £20k per month for various consumer sales data including games and electronics, I suppose it won't be that high.

GreatSage said:
You pay money to ioi? Like, real usable paper currency?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Acheteedo said:
That's a big drop... although... the measurement is sort of skewed because Killzone 2 will not be 5th now, two years later, we need hard numbers. We saw LBP2 have a small drop in launch numbers compared to LBP, but in that case LBP launched in the holiday season so was understandable. Nonetheless, these trends are weird with the constantly increasing userbase of the PS3. It'll be interesting to see what happens to Infamous 2 and Uncharted 3.

Within the context of Sony's first-party games, Uncharted 3 is going to be big, I imagine. After all, the franchise is Sony's biggest excluding that one which begins with 'Gran' and ends with 'Turismo'.

GreatSage

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:
I'm not sure how much their subscription fees are but we pay over £20k per month for various consumer sales data including games and electronics, I suppose it won't be that high.

I have no idea what we pay for that. We generally rely on IBISWorld, which is quite comprehensive but unfortunately it is not updated as often as we need.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
You pay money to ioi? Like, real usable paper currency?

Me personally? No.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
BritBloke916 said:

To be fair, Leadbetter is only unreliable when he jumps the gun and begins assuming shit and/or presents his findings with a skew of bias. A great example of this is when he did his analysis of the PS3 FFXIII demo and spent a good chunk of the article going into detail of why many aspects will translate better to the 360, only to later discover he was utterly wrong (and boy, the damage control in the retail face-off was delicious).

Personally, I find Leadbetter's articles rather uninformative unless he has a helping hand from the developer of the game he is analysing, as he can regurgitate all the in-depth detail of the toolset particulars. A great example being the Uncharted 2 'making of'.

GreatSage said:
I have no idea what we pay for that. We generally rely on IBISWorld, which is quite comprehensive but unfortunately it is not updated as often as we need.

Yeah, that's a lot cheaper than NPD/GfK/Neilsen/VideoScan reports.

jorma said:
hmm i had gotten the impression that the historical data on ******** was usable.

Only because they adjust their 'data' and steal from NPD and GfK. The blanket ban works well, the less they are legitimised the better.

GreatSage

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:
Yeah, that's a lot cheaper than NPD/GfK/Neilsen/VideoScan reports.

Is it? I saw one of their industry reports online for about $1000.

What kind of analyst are you, if you don't mind my asking?

GreatSage said:
Is it? I saw one of their industry reports online for about $1000.

What kind of analyst are you, if you don't mind my asking?

I would prefer not to say, PM me if you really want to know.

The reason IBIS is cheaper is because you can buy reports out of subscription. We get them as well, some a really well done, but generally the subscriptions are better as you get regular updates and you can track the progress of certain products and certain industries.

[Nintex]

Haha paying for ioi's shit lol. Here have some numberzsx: Call fo Duty: 49 units, 3DS Japan Launch: 765k, Kinect: 1 unit(lol), PS3: 8 billion.

GreatSage

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:
I would prefer not to say, PM me if you really want to know.

The reason IBIS is cheaper is because you can buy reports out of subscription. We get them as well, some a really well done, but generally the subscriptions are better as you get regular updates and you can track the progress of certain products and certain industries.

Some their content requires a higher-level of subscription which is a pain in the ass, actually.

Their analysis of the home console market is a bit on the broad side. One of our clients thought it was "rubbish" (their words, not mine), so we drafted a 35 page document providing the entire history of this generation. Fun times.

Dabanton

Majine said:
Gears 3 Beta.

Only Game and gamestation were selling The Epic edition. A lot of people i knew who picked up the 360 version had the normal version.

Though that giant gap between versions is hilarious.

Not great starts for either of the shooter games, especially given how frontloaded core games usually are.

It's fairly obvious that Sony and GG are going to have to have a rethink on how they handle Killzone if they want it to become a bigger system seller rather than just a middle of the pack franchise. They need to take some chances, put stuff out there that immediately doesn't look like the Killzone we've all come to expect. Looking at what they've shown of the NGP version though it looks like they've dug themselves into a particular style, but I think limiting themselves to the Hostile Enviroment/ Heavy Industry aesthetic is having diminishing returns. And if the narrative and lore is restricting them from changing up the Helghan enviroment too much, then they need to take the setting away from Helghan.

And then you have Bulletstorm opening even lower, even on 3 platforms. Chart placings aside, I can't see either SCEE or EA being particularly thrilled with these openings.

Die Squirrel Die said:
Not great starts for either of the shooter games, especially given how frontloaded core games usually are.

It's fairly obvious that Sony and GG are going to have to have a rethink on how they handle Killzone if they want it to become a bigger system seller rather than just a middle of the pack franchise. They need to take some chances, put stuff out there that immediately doesn't look like the Killzone we've all come to expect. Looking at what they've shown of the NGP version though it looks like they've dug themselves into a particular style, but I think limiting themselves to the Hostile Enviroment/ Heavy Industry aesthetic is having diminishing returns. And if the narrative and lore is restricting them from changing up the Helghan enviroment too much, then they need to take the setting away from Helghan.

And then you have Bulletstorm opening even lower, even on 3 platforms. Chart placings aside, I can't see either SCEE or EA being particularly thrilled with these openings.

Or they could quit making Killzone and do something different.

offshore

Die Squirrel Die said:
They need to take some chances, put stuff out there that immediately doesn't look like the Killzone we've all come to expect.
A thousand times this.

Guerrilla's tech is just utterly wasted on the Killzone in its current style. Even their jungles look like Killzone jungles. I bet GG could create environments more diverse and better looking than Uncharted 2 if they weren't so focused on this Killzone "look".

NHale

Die Squirrel Die said:

They can't abandon Helghan when the Helghasts are the main core of the franchise. If they do it they might as well abandon the franchise.

And if this game ends up selling less than KZ2, I believe the future of the Killzone franchise will depend on the sales of the next Guerrilla game (new IP). But from that cover story on 1Up, it seems they already have plans for KZ4 (PS4 launch title?).

Loudninja

Die Squirrel Die said:

How can you come to any sort of conclusion without numbers?Why do people keep doing this very single time?

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Or they could quit making Killzone and do something different.

There is always the chance the someting different will perform worse. Killzone's a solid enough performer that it's probably more worthwhile for Sony to keep making them rather than put those resources into a new unproven IP.

V_Ben

Banned
Guerilla is currently working on a new IP folks. The next KZ game is the NGP one, from Cambridge. We probably won't see a PS3 killzone again for a couple of years, or perhaps the next one will be on PS4. Who can say.

Die Squirrel Die said:
There is always the chance the someting different will perform worse. Killzone's a solid enough performer that it's probably more worthwhile for Sony to keep making them rather than put those resources into a new unproven IP.

The problem is that Sony are the platform holder and shouldn't be interested in solid performing franchises, they should be trying out new stuff and testing waters with new IPs. It is up to them to show third parties that there is a viable market outside of the normal markets and increase the diversity of the platform. If they don't, no else will.

offshore

Loudninja said:
How can you come to any sort of conclusion without numbers any numbers? Why do people keep doing this very single time?
You don't need numbers to know that KZ3 being down on KZ2, despite releasing on a larger PS3 install base and in one of the most important software markets is not the best news ever.

Facism

i can imagine the open beta for KZ3 put a lot of people off. Good few of my friends were "fuck this shit" and ended up not bothering with it.

So what should we blame Killzone 3's sales on?

• Gutting of features from Killzone 2 in the name of "accessibility"
  • A bad taste left in people's mouths after Killzone 2
  • A much busier release schedule, surrounded by BS, LBP2, and DS2.

I hope GG assumes it's the first, but it's probably more likely a mix of all three. I know a few that passed on the game because it removed much of what they loved about Killzone 2, and I know at least one person that is waiting on the game because they're lost in LBP2.

Facism said:
i can imagine the open beta for KZ3 put a lot of people off. Good few of my friends were "fuck this shit" and ended up not bothering with it.
I talked a couple of my Call of Duty loving friends into getting the beta. They all loved it.

Then they all went right back to playing Black Ops when it ended. =/

Carl

GT5 took a hell of a tumble this week. Suppose it's done well to stay in the top 40 since November though.

Good to see Killzone 3 at the top, great game. Surprised by the massive difference between 360 + PS3 versions of Bulletstorm though

Carl said:
Surprised by the massive difference between 360 + PS3 versions of Bulletstorm though

Why? PS3 had a first party shooter released on the same day and the 360 LE came with a Gears 3 beta code. Next week will probably be closer to the normal 60/40 split, but in the week where one of Sony's premier IPs is launching a competing game will always do better as gamers opt for the established first party franchise.

Kusagari

Bulletstorm was pretty much always a 360 only game as emphasized by the Gears beta. They just put it on PS3 and PC for some extra sales from a cheap port.

kamil

Neo Member
szaromir said:
Killzone 2 was 4th at the time, only GT5 had a stronger debut in the meantime. I know three games that sold stronger than KZ2 in week 1 (GT4, GT5P, GT5), what's the fourth one?

The actual gap between KZ2 and KZ3 might not be that big though, something like 100k vs 70k might be the case...

The 4th game was actually The Gateway from 2002, which debuted with around 140k.

GreatSage said:
Probably God of War 3.
zomgbbqftw said:
Doubt it. Uncharted 2 is a more likely candidate.

Obviously it can't be either of those titles as they were both released after Killzone 2. There were 3 titles that sold better in first week than Killzone 2 when it was relased in February 2009. Since then only GT5 joined the list.

Top Bottom