• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

One little panorama today, which won't be posted on the blog 'till I get some more of them. Consider it a sneak peek.

I think I was feeling kind of romantic when I made this. :lol

Oozer3993

I don't think the power weapon situation on Highlands is that bad. The snipers can stay. There's plenty of cover for infantry and vehicles to avoid them. There just needs to be fewer of them, and with longer respawn times (ditto for the rockets). And I agree with Ghaleon, the shotguns need to be moved away from the teleporters. The laser is essentially superfluous since there's already a wealth of anti-vehicle weaponry, so that can go.

Blue Ninja said:
One little panorama today, which won't be posted on the blog 'till I get some more of them. Consider it a sneak peek.

Gorgeous. Just needs a Corona sitting on the crate ;)

xxjuicesxx said:
I feel like in Highlands you got plenty of vehicles and theres plenty of anti vehicle weapons (grenade launcher, rockets, and laser) so its lots of vehicles and lots of anti vehicles. Then you have snipe really stopping any infantry flow on foot. I think it would be more frenzied without the caution of having to worry about a snipe at all. Its just so deadly compared to everything else.

Plus when did we decide that every single map needs a damn sniper?

I guess all of my games have been fun as is, and the sniper has not caused me a whole lot of trouble.

How about we replace it with the focus rifle.

MrBig

A27_StarWolf said:
I guess all of my games have been fun as is, and the sniper has not caused me a whole lot of trouble.

How about we replace it with the focus rifle.
Why are you posting on gaf and not forging with me

MrBig said:
Why are you posting on gaf and not forging with me

You asked!:

I went home for the weekend, left my college, got home only to find out at midnight what my housing was here at RIT. It was wrong and I was misplaced so I had to come allll the way back up here for the day and set everything straight. I don't have a car so I have to get rides from my father.

My HD is at home... :/

Dax01 said:
This is so cool. Really great of them. Maybe we can get a GAF/343i thing going? Will it be with all of them at once?

Actually, just yesterday I had a similar idea. What would you guys think if I tried to setup a very informal cross-community customs league?

So each community would build a roster of 1-2 teams of 4-6 players, depending on the level of interest and population in each community.
Then maybe on an agreed date two of those teams would playthough the set, say
1 game of Team Slayer on Condemned
1 game of CTF on Hemorrhage
1 game of Grifball
etc.

And then I could do a writeup with screenshots, videos.

Kind of like the old Humpday Challenge, but organized by the community instead of Bungie.

Just an idea. I think we could get maybe teams from NeoGAF, HBO, the Waypoint forum, GrifballHub, etc. Maybe even 343i or Bungie.

Do you guys think that would be doable? I'd be up for trying to organize it, I'm trying to keep contacts in most of the different communities already...

Miggytronz

BUNGIE is selling $5 embossed wrist bans proceeds to the red cross. I just ordered one. Hit up the BUNGIE STORE. Do something people.

31EFnOMEduL._SL320_.jpg

Karl2177

ncsuDuncan said:
Actually, just yesterday I had a similar idea. What would you guys think if I tried to setup a very informal cross-community customs league?

So each community would build a roster of 1-2 teams of 4-6 players, depending on the level of interest and population in each community.
1 game of Grifball
etc.

Kind of like the old Humpday Challenge, but organized by the community instead of Bungie.

Just an idea. I think we could get maybe teams from NeoGAF, HBO, the Waypoint forum, GrifballHub, etc. Maybe even 343i or Bungie.

Do you guys think that would be doable? I'd be up for trying to organize it, I'm trying to keep contacts in most of the different communities already...
The folks in charge of the Community Carnage for bungie.net are looking at doing the same thing. In fact they even want a match against NeoGAF. If you're a member of bungie.net the group is The Community Carnage, and the thread in particular is here. (You have to be a member of the group to see the thread)

GhaleonEB

Random thought: I wish Unearthed had a Ghost laying around on it, as Beachhead does. So far every game I've played on it in matchmaking has resulted in everyone fighting over the Hog; I have yet to have anyone get in it with me, they just start lobbing grenades to get me out of it. Maybe that will blow over as everyone gets enough of it, but a Ghost to occupy one player, while the other grabs the (three-shot) Target Locator and two others ride the Hog would work out well.

GhaleonEB said:
Random thought: I wish Unearthed had a Ghost laying around on it, as Beachhead does. So far every game I've played on it in matchmaking has resulted in everyone fighting over the Hog; I have yet to have anyone get in it with me, they just start lobbing grenades to get me out of it. Maybe that will blow over as everyone gets enough of it, but a Ghost to occupy one player, while the other grabs the (three-shot) Target Locator and two others ride the Hog would work out well.

Your post last night made my day.

Blue Ninja said:

You know, honestly I wouldn't be lounging at a time like that. Would you really want to watch a huge Covenant ship glass a planet? :lol

Besides that, it's an awesome picture. :)

feel

Meanwhile on halogaf "Did I just hear someone say GAF vs halo developers customs?"
18my5y.jpg

FourDoor said:
Where is this gif from? LOL
I think it's a catholic church and they were lining for one of those round little pieces of edible styrofoam that are supposed to represent bread, that for some reason are handed out in the middle of their ceremonies and people line up like it's tshirts being given away. But more seriously, I wish I knew the source of the gif, no idea.

Ramirez

Dax01 said:
Also: I agree with Juices that Highlands and Condemned could do without the sniper. They just cause me frustration on the new maps.

Excellent. Yeah, I don't really like this new system either. I don't understand the new fascination with neutral spawn points in Reach.

*sigh* It's true, sadly (as I am about to demonstrate). Many Ghosts and 'Hogs have fallen to the wayside against my Pro Pipe.

Speaking of which, I have some Pro Pipe™ action on Highlands for you guys.

1. The Pipe of Highlands.
2. Pro Pipe vs Ghost.

Enjoy.

Baaaaah, bow before my +210 spread with the pipe to your measly +82. Seriously though, anyone higher than that? I feel like a master with that thing, and I just watch everyone pass it by on pretty much every map. It's the main reason I love Sword Base, heh.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
GhaleonEB said:

Try jacking a wraith instead. I did that a few times when I played a custom firefight unlimited game. I think I had 2-3 deaths over the course of 30 minutes (didn't quite finish 3rd round).

GhaleonEB

LunaticPuma said:
Try jacking a wraith instead. I did that a few times when I played a custom firefight unlimited game. I think I had 2-3 deaths over the course of 30 minutes (didn't quite finish 3rd round).
I don't enjoy using the Wraith. Lobbing mortars into packs of enemies gets old after about ten seconds and then I want to be afraid again. I do like taking them down, though. Often to the chagrin of my team mates.

I should note that I'm perfectly happy prowling around on foot, especially on Unearthed as there's plenty of room - and bad guys - to spare. And my reflexive nuking of a certain Rocket Hog wasn't one of my better moments. I just want to find a game where I get to try romping around in the Hog for a while. I'm sure people will chill out sooner or later.

Which reminds me, I have a flowchart to finish.

Toddler

Blue Ninja said:

Some men just want to watch the world burn...

My poor broke ass finally got the maps and UNEARTHED is unbelieveably great for FireFight I just wish they had a ghost on it for my many Score Attack rounds.

I've only played Condemned twice but it seems like blue armor might be at a slight advantage due to the blending with the background. This is the first map that seriously made me stop in my tracks and just stare at the background when I came across that window with Reach in the background.

Jury is still out on Highlands but I got my 800 Ms points worth on UNEARTHED alone so its all bonus thereafter.

TOM T 117

Neo Member
Karl2177 said:
ncsuDuncan said:

1 game of Grifball
etc.

The folks in charge of the Community Carnage for bungie.net are looking at doing the same thing. In fact they even want a match against NeoGAF. If you're a member of bungie.net the group is The Community Carnage, and the thread in particular is here. (You have to be a member of the group to see the thread)
We certainly had our sights on playing with Waypoint once or twice a month. I have been busy but when my workload calms down I will be sure to continue trying to extend our reach. If NeoGAF would also like to play against the bungie community it is absolutely doable, I certainly like the concept of different communities gaming together. bungie.net does get a bad reputation, with its regulars sometimes seen with contempt or sympathy, but there are a lot of great guys amidst the carnage who I am sure would enjoy a friendly rivalry. Please get in touch if you're interested; I can't claim to be a frequent gaffer, having made an impressive 7 posts in 2 years.

TOM T 117 said:
We certainly had our sights on playing with Waypoint once or twice a month. I have been busy but when my workload calms down I will be sure to continue trying to extend our reach. If NeoGAF would also like to play against the bungie community it is absolutely doable, I certainly like the concept of different communities gaming together. bungie.net does get a bad reputation, with its regulars sometimes seen with contempt or sympathy, but there are a lot of great guys amidst the carnage who I am sure would enjoy a friendly rivalry. Please get in touch if you're interested (preferably via bungie.net); I can't claim to be a frequent gaffer, having made an impressive 7 posts in 2 years.
The civil war will start again.

Toddler

GhaleonEB said:
I wouldn't say that's random... seems a lot of people feel the same.

Unearthed is frustrating. It's like they took Lost Platoon as an inspiration (good starting point IMO), but forgot to sprinkle the magic on top. How's that? Let's see:

1) I like the weapon's supply in the garage, but the one at center of the facility seems a bit close to it. Put one on the far side of the vehicle depot, or under the crane. Speaking of the crane, wouldn't it be bad ass if you could get to the top of that thing and make it rain death? Ceiling cap says no though.

2) Pretty much gonna echo Ghal's post. All of this room for vehicle combat (it is what CI said the map was designed around), but just one vehicle. If you're not in a party of friends that play fair, pretty likely that you're gonna get assed out.

inerinidelbuio said:
hey nockz, are there any plans to put new maps into the grifball playlist? i saw that pipe-like map of yours (i don't remember the name) and it was lovely
nockz said:
Yes, we are planning on replacing the traditional rectangle shape for an oblong trapezium.
I lol'd. I am totally Nokyard...

Mizzou Gaming said:
Wait, is there really people that refuse to play FireFight? Wtf is wrong with these people? : )

Excellent read, thanks.

Yep, most of my RL friends that play Halo hate Firefight. Shocking to me.

Tunavi said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA that's great!

Tashi gave me mod status on my first day as a junior.

neoism

Dani said:
Just read your post on HBO and was going to reply there. =P

Funny thing, many of your suggestions follow the exact changes I have made to the map.

Here's the run-down I have made to a particular variant.

- Changed variable spawning to fixed spawning for Slayer. Teams spawn on one side of the map only - corresponds to your starting base side.
- Slightly altered position of Ghosts to be equal distance from each base
- Ghost spawn timers increased to 120
- Added two sticky grenade spawns on team base
- Rockets in middle of map with two spare rounds, 180 respawn timer, only 1 Rocket Launcher on map at any time
- Replaced original Rocket spawn with Pro Pipe, 5 ammo and 180 respawn - only two on map at any time
- Shotgun moved to back of bases, increased respawn timer to 180
- Laser and Plasma Launcher replaced by moving Sniper to their respective locations
- Sniper spawn time increased to 180, only two Snipers on map at any time
- Extra Warthog added to each base (for BTB)
- Warthog respawn timer increased from 45 to 60
I have to admit I've been getting a lot of sniper kills. but this is perfect.. :O

neoism

D: A BTB map without a sniper rifle is ridiculous... they most definitely need to be gimped but removed lol... 180 seconds with a 8 shot clips, and no more than 2 will be just fine. Highlands has so much cover it isn't even funny. Standoff was different. I'm of course only defending it because its my favorite weapon in the game .:p

Top Bottom