• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woffls

AceBandage said:
Constant Data streaming to another device would certainly eat up processing power.
I mean, the machine has to render two different displays for two different devices.
What else could it even be? It's a feature that can just be switched on or off, and I really don't know what else consumes power on that level like real time rendering.

Aside from it actually being a coffee machine... god that would be hilarious. And I do kinda want a coffee machine.

M74

From The Dust said:
prolly "stream to tablet" feature
If so, I retract my prior statement. As I stated about 100 pages ago, I have no use for streaming to my gamepad. I'm pleased sitting in front of my TV. I can only hope it's something else fantastic.

J-Rock

Banned
"I'm not allowed to say anything, but I'm pretty sure that Nintendo's market dominance will not fade away with their next machine. Of all the speculations and rumors circulating the internet, please forget all the ones telling that the machine is on par with the 360. These are based on the specs sheet Nintendo gave to a selected few developers right after the e3 in 2010. Not the latest development kits.

Let me tell you this. It will not be a step forward like the transition from PSOne to PS2, but it blows the current competition out of the water with it's chosen chipset. At the moment there isn't a console on the market that could run Crysis like the PC does. I'm sure that Crysis will run on Nintendo's new baby without any diffculties. But like the 3DS and it's 3D, that raw power only counts if you leave it's main feature off."

tumblr_lcayitSYnG1qziuglo1_500.gif

Instro

But like the 3DS and it's 3D, that raw power only counts if you leave it's main feature off.

Dunno what to make of that, regardless though sounds great.

Effect said:
That right there makes no sense to me.

I believe he means that it wont be a full generational leap.

antonz

Effect said:
Depends how you look at it. PS1 graphically was very blocky and primitive. The jump to PS2 changed the idea of graphics drastically. The Wii 2 even while significantly more powerful than the others wont change the idea of graphics. It will just improve it.

Raide

antonz said:
The strategy is more

Look at this we have a serious machine here that can crap all over the other guys.

By getting the hardcore excited at the idea and rushing out to buy the Wii 2. Sure all these multiplatform games are coming out around launch time. But if you just spent a wad of cash to buy the Wii 2 you are likely gonna want to fill its library with those games stealing sales from the others. Get that kind of base going and people suddenly start to only buy for that new shiny machine

It is certainly interesting to see Nintendo expand the gaming market and now, seemingly, jump ship to try and grab the hardcore. It could make E3 a really mixed message type of event. MS's event could feel a little like that this year too.

They have spent a good chunk of the Wii's life ignoring the Hardcore gamer and now they have to work again to drag them back. I hope it works out, since more competition means better games but Nintendo then have the possible issue of not really grabbing what they want and not doing enough to grab the casual Wii owners.

Graphics Horse said:
Rendering detailed graphics to extra screens, the same reason as 3DS? Or it could be something more mindblowing, but I couldn't guess.
In case it wasnt read maybe is this:

Like i commented in a previous post lets say Nintendo wants to send output frames to both the TV and the 6´´ screen at the same time. The supposed integrated camera on the screen could have a less obvious use. That camera could be used to track fingers positioning near the screen surface. Set it like this you won´t need to constantly be focusing attention between the TV and touch screen.

So basically this could turn a TV screen of any size in a touch screen. For some games the Wii pointer method could make more sense and be more inmersive. For others this type of direct touch method applies.

This way it doesnt depend of line of sight and you can reach the hole screen space with just your fingers.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Sadist said:
Via David Perry, Escapist Magazine
A "main feature" so taxing that turning it off would enable the console to run Crysis? I'd love to hear Amir0x's thoughts on that.

Effect said:

Might be because of diminishing returns. People on GAF insists nothing on the PC can blow away Killzone 2 or Uncharted 2, and it might not be that far from the truth in their eyes due to diminishing returns of graphics. For me, the newest UE3.9 (or whatever) demo only shows more complex geometry, but most of the other new effects are things I don't understand enough to appreciate how much power it takes to pull them off.

For example: Let say the 360 can run at 30fps with 20 real-time lights illuminating the scene. On Wii 2, the same scene would have 40 real-time lights illuminating the scene while running at 60fps. Real-time lights are still very taxing on the hardware, but most people wouldn't know that. Hell, we still have people that can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps.

Majine

Banned
What is so frustrating right now is that we don't know the "main feature" yet. It's the missing piece of the puzzle. They said they are not interested in bigscreen 3D, so I really have no idea now. It'll probably blow people's minds tho, as usual.

M74 said:
If so, I retract my prior statement. As I stated about 100 pages ago, I have no use for streaming to my gamepad. I'm pleased sitting in front of my TV. I can only hope it's something else fantastic.

if there is a benifit, I'll use it. that's up to the developers though

Majine said:
What is so frustrating right now is that we don't know the "main feature" yet. It's the missing piece of the puzzle. They said they are not interested in bigscreen 3D, so I really have no idea now. It'll probably blow people's minds tho, as usual.

If true, surely its the streaming stuff.

Instro

civilstrife said:
So... if Nintendo does announce it this month, when? Do they have any kind of event in the next couple of weeks?

Theres an investor briefing next week, the assumption is that if they do plan to announce it before E3 they will do it there.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Majine said:
What's pretty frustrating is that rumor is encouraging me to turn off the "main feature" even before it is revealed.

apana said:
Also it's like we guessed from the very beggining, it sounds like roughly half a generation leap.

Which would be perfect, provided it can run the next gen engines that aren't out yet, even toned down.

antonz

Raide

From The Dust said:
if there is a benifit, I'll use it. that's up to the developers though

As long as its not like Motion+ which gets ignored by most developers and only used in a few Nintendo titles.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
AceBandage said:
Constant Data streaming to another device would certainly eat up processing power.
I mean, the machine has to render two different displays for two different devices.

Yep. To me, Perry's comment confirms the touchscreen/streaming rumors.

With the news about the graphics, though...whoa. If 3rd parties jump aboard and the online is fixed this is huge.

M74

Of course, we shouldn't overlook the wording of this guy's statement. It blows the "current competition" out of the water with its current chipset. Meaning, the next generation of the current competition could trounce it eventually. He's still comparing N6 to what we have right now, not what we could be looking at prospectively for the next generation.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dave Perry or David Perry? One and the same?

Escapist Magazine? I can't find this on their site at all (in their news section anyway)...anyone got a link?

Touch

Opus Angelorum said:
So GAF, what significant feature (assuming it's not 3D) can be turned off to offer much greater performance?
Maybe it's something like Life with Playstation or Home that's runs all the time. Doesn't that kind of fit the the codename "cafe"?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
M74 said:
Of course, we shouldn't overlook the wording of this guy's statement. It blows the "current competition" out of the water with its current chipset. Meaning, the next generation of the current competition could trounce it eventually. He's still comparing N6 to what we have right now, not what we could be looking at prospectively for the next generation.

Well, duh. Why wouldn't they? The new MS and Sony consoles won't hit until late 2012 or 2013 and Nintendo isn't the type of company to throw out a $600 system.

antonz

M74 said:
Well yeah its possible they could still get a decent lead over the Wii 2 if Nintendo does a half generation leap. But Nintendo would be in a strong enough position to still greatly benefit from the PS4/Xbox3.

If anything Nintendos move will make the others decide just how far they want to go

M74 said:

Right, but no one knows what Sony and MS are going to do next gen. Or how far ahead they'll be.
The fact that the N6 "blows the 360 out of the water" is encouraging regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom