• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free Excitebike with 3DS May Update?

thechemist

CVG said:
Nintendo's set to give away a free classic game via Nintendo 3DS's upcoming eShop.

According to reports out of Nintendo's Japanese investor meeting this morning, Nintendo plans to add an incentive for 3DS owners to update their systems next month, by distributing a 3D version of Excitebike free of charge.

The firmware update will add, among other things, the eShop and a 3DS internet browser.

Iwata reportedly told investors this morning Nintendo plans to start by releasing Game Boy and Game Boy Colour games on the 3DS shop, but after that it wants to add more classic formats to the service (GBA?)

We'll hopefully have more on this for you shortly.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/299266/news/nintendo-to-give-away-free-3ds-excitebike/

Plasma

Banned
Nice, I'm actually looking forward to the update I just want something else to play on my 3DS, kind of bored of the launch games I have already.

YES YES YES! YEEESSSSSS!!!! NINTENDOOOOOO!!!!!

Seriously though, the 3DS launch portal deals have been awesome!

1. $25 credit towards a 3DS game.
2. $10 credit with purchase of a 3DS game.
3. Early registration club Nintendo points.
4. Excitebike 3D free.
5. Free 3rd party accessory
6. OK GO Music Video (I'm just trying to list things).

Luigiv

MrMister said:
Sweet! Looking forward to it, hope the update comes early May!
Unlikely. Nintendo said "late May" last time they talked about it. I don't think they'll change the plan. Here's to hoping "late May" at least doesn't mean "the very end of May".

FaidSint

This would be great if Nintendo did this. It's time to reward the early adopters!! 250 bucks has bought me about 10 hours of Street Fighter 4 and uhh.. that's basically... it.

KaYotiX

Banned
FaidSint said:
This would be great if Nintendo did this. It's time to reward the early adopters!! 250 bucks has bought me about 10 hours of Street Fighter 4 and uhh.. that's basically... it.

lol same here. I have been playing DQ 4-6 though :) But as for 3D games, just SSF4 and some pilotwings

AceBandage said:
They didn't give a date for the eShop?
Damn.
Hopefully it's closer to the beginning/middle than the end of the month.

IIRC they said it would be at the end of May. Pretty sure I read/heard that a few times.

The tune followed by minutes of "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmp" is now stuck in my head. Love Excitebike, looking forward to this but more importantly the 3DS shop in general. Bring it ON

beje

Banned
JustAnotherOtaku said:
IIRC they said it would be at the end of May. Pretty sure I read/heard that a few times.

I think the "end of May" part is either missinterpretation or just viral preventive damage control to avoid getting the forums filled with "bawwwwww Nintendo didn't update my console, trading in my 3DS asap" at 00:01AM on May 1st. I'm pretty sure all official sources just mention "May".

Glass Joe

elektrixx said:
So is this the original or the remake I have on WiiWare?
3D ExciteBots would be cool.

I'm pretty sure we can count on this being the original NES version. Weren't they showing off an "NES Classics" style line @ E3? They sounded like the same games as before but 3D-ified.

moozoom

Mockingbird said:
YES YES YES! YEEESSSSSS!!!! NINTENDOOOOOO!!!!!

6. OK GO Music Video (I'm just trying to list things).

I'm jealous of this. We got a clip in europe, but Ok go videos are awesome... it was the one with the dogs I think ?

I wonder what content will be available at the opening of the store... let's hope there are a few games to browse in each section. Link's awakening will surely will be my first purchase on this.

mclem

If you're not aware, Excitebike is one of the visualisers in the music section, so you can get a feel for what it could look like. It's simple but impressive.

swerve

Half-assed. If you want people to go to your store, don't give them a game that only 5% of the audience knows about.

You know what would have driven people to the store? A free 3D Pokedex which uses the save data from your Black/White save and renders the caught pokemon in 3D, and Donkey Kong GBC 3D.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
KaYotiX said:
lol same here. I have been playing DQ 4-6 though :) But as for 3D games, just SSF4 and some pilotwings

Anybody who remotely likes tactics-like games should get Ghost Recon 3DS.

Neo Child

Banned
elektrixx said:
So is this the original or the remake I have on WiiWare?
3D ExciteBots would be cool.

3D excitbots would basically be acid. still gutted the game never came to europe. freeloader am win.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
swerve said:
Half-assed. If you want people to go to your store, don't give them a game that only 5% of the audience knows about.
You think people don't know what Excite Bike is?

beje

Banned
Best Buy is already introducing eShop prepaid cards in their system, so it really shouldn't take that long.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nintend...3034&skuId=2345419&st=3DS Cash Card&cp=1&lp=1

Your Nintendo 3DS delivers awe-inspiring graphics and glasses-free 3D visuals, providing you with the most immersive handheld gaming experience to date. From updated classics to augmented reality to 3D photography, the 3DS delivers a wealth of options that you love. Why not completely expand your 3DS experience with the help of this Nintendo 3DS Cash Card?

Replenish your Nintendo 3DS eWallet with this Nintendo 3DS Cash Card. Get the full multimedia experience on your 3DS with downloadable games, add-on content, 3D video on demand and a new eShop. The new eShop features demos, game trailers, user ratings and previews. Use the funds in your wallet to purchase classic Gameboy and Gameboy Color titles and download them directly to your Nintendo 3DS for some on-the-go nostalgia.

Product Features
For replenishing your 3DS eWallet
Enjoy a full multimedia experience on the go with games, add-on content, 3D video on demand and a new eShop
eShop features demos, game trailers, user ratings and previews
Download classic Gameboy and Gameboy Color titles via the eShop

swerve said:

You know what would have driven people to the store? A free 3D Pokedex which uses the save data from your Black/White save and renders the caught pokemon in 3D, and Donkey Kong GBC 3D.
Not everyone plays Pokemon, it'd be a waste to push that to all users. And 3D Classics won't include Game Boy games.

Neo Child

Banned
Sammy Samusu said:
"demos, game trailers, user ratings and previews"

Amen.

Good good, lets have it regularly updated... god why is Nintendo so slow at these things? Can they not make a seperate department for the online stuff... well, i mean company.. .like Sony Online Entertainment...

Neo Child

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
Yes we do. When asked Nintendo's always specified GB games would be VC only and the 3DC line would comprise console and arcade conversions.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure they mentioned that some of the Gameboy games were getting a 3D update. Plus they could always add/remove something, Nintendo rarely tell the whole story.

Somnid

lunchwithyuzo said:
Yes we do. When asked Nintendo's always specified GB games would be VC only and the 3DC line would comprise console and arcade conversions.

I'm gonna need a source with that. It's not familiar to me and I've usually very up-to-date on this.

Majine said:
It's probably just a playable version of the visualization from the Music channel.

"Just"? That would be awesome! Playing Excitebike with every track being determined by your music. Like a side-scrolling AudioSurf.

A side-scrolling AudioSurf.

Top Bottom