• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free Excitebike with 3DS May Update?

Glass Joe

I think they're choosing Excitebike for free because it will show off the 3D well. If it was Super Mario 1 (or choose one from MOST of the NES library), there's really no depth graphically to show off the 3D in the first place.

KevinCow

Banned
Fusebox said:
Just put the Excitebike visual on the MP3 player instead, looks way better!

Well gee I guess I just wasted like an hour and a half of my life making that, thanks for letting me know.

:(

styl3s

Father_Brain said:
It's a month away, and they still haven't announced a date or full launch lineup? Ridiculous.
it's nintendo.. what do you expect? they always do this..

they will announce a game but no date then they announce the date 2 months before release, im sure 2 weeks before it drops we will see a list..

i could care less what else they add, mega man legends 3 + excite bike = im set.

jgkspsx

From The Dust said:
Virtual Console:
Links Awakening DX (GBC)
Super Mario Land (GB)
Columns (Game Gear)
Shinobi (Game Gear)
Dragon Crystal (Game Gear)
Sonic Triple Trouble (Game Gear)
Sonic Drift 2 (Game Gear)
Triple Trouble is great, if possibly the easiest Sonic game.
I never played Shinobi GG - was it any good?
Columns hasn't aged well.
Sonic Drift 2 was intolerable back then, I don't get why they keep rereleasing it.
I remember playing Dragon Crystal as a kid, and saying, "who would ever buy another game like this?" I still think that was a reasonable response.

I hope Sega keeps up the releases. I'd like them to release Tails' Adventure, a criminally underexposed Metroid ripoff. (I admit that it was my real introduction to the genre, since Metroid II was too complicated for my nine-year-old self to figure out in the limited time I borrowed it... and I couldn't see a damn thing.)

watershed

Banned
Late May is when the update drops. Excellent news, I love free stuff from Nintendo. This and hopefully all the other stuff that will come with the update (flipnote 3d?) will make my 3ds complete.

Deku

Banned
styl3s said:
it's nintendo.. what do you expect? they always do this..

they will announce a game but no date then they announce the date 2 months before release, im sure 2 weeks before it drops we will see a list..

i could care less what else they add, mega man legends 3 + excite bike = im set.

They've announced plenty of games right before release.

Tentpole games like Mario Kart, Mario and Zelda certainly are announced early, but it's not like their competitors aren;t doing the same.

Jubbly

If history is anything to go by, the update will be six months later in Europe and contain absolutely nothing extra.

KevinCow

Banned
Is the Mega Man Legends 3 thing something that's been announced, or just people getting their hopes up? I mean I know the game's coming, but people seem to think a demo's launching along with 3DSware.

KevinCow said:
Is the Mega Man Legends 3 thing something that's been announced, or just people getting their hopes up? I mean I know the game's coming, but people seem to think a demo's launching along with 3DSware.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/blog/2011/04/21/announcing_mega_man_legends_3:_prototype_version

Well, the mystery can now be revealed as we officially announce Mega Man Legends 3: Prototype Version, one of the first downloadable launch titles for the Nintendo eShop on the Nintendo 3DS once the shop opens for business.

Prototype Version will give fans a taste of the upcoming Mega Man Legends 3 and introduce a brand new character to the franchise: Barrett, the reckless leader of a sky biker gang!

From The Dust said:
Virtual Console:

Links Awakening DX (GBC)
Super Mario Land (GB)
Columns (Game Gear)
Shinobi (Game Gear)
Dragon Crystal (Game Gear)
Sonic Triple Trouble (Game Gear)
Sonic Drift 2 (Game Gear)

3DSWare (not final name):

Mega Man Legends 3: Prototype

3D Classics:

Excitebike
You should take all those Master System games off of the list. Didn't Nintendo JUST say that the launch systems were Gameboy and Gameboy Color, but they hoped to add more systems in the future? And Sega never said those games were going to be available at the e-Store launch, they just said those were going to be the first games available.

Andriasang article
Andriasang said:
The first round of games will include Sonic & Tales 2, Sonic Drift 2, The GG Shinobi, Dragon Crystal Shirani's Maze, and Columns.

Unfortunately, Sega did not say when the games would be released and how much they will cost. This information will presumably have to wait until Nintendo has made similar announcements about its own portable retro lineup.

Dreamwriter said:
You should take all those Master System games off of the list. Didn't Nintendo JUST say that the launch systems were Gameboy and Gameboy Color, but they hoped to add more systems in the future? And Sega never said those games were going to be available at the e-Store launch, they just said those were going to be the first games available.

Andriasang article

done. although I don't know why it's important at the point since it's in the middle of page two :p

Glass Joe

If Nintendo's serious about adding more value to the 3DS system, they'll merge the 3DS store with the WiiWare store and let us play our old purchases on it. As it is, this Cafe talk about streaming controllers actually makes the 3DS sound less compelling. Sure you can't take a Cafe pad with ya, but I usually use portables in my house anyway.

Glass Joe said:
If Nintendo's serious about adding more value to the 3DS system, they'll merge the 3DS store with the WiiWare store and let us play our old purchases on it. As it is, this Cafe talk about streaming controllers actually makes the 3DS sound less compelling. Sure you can't take a Cafe pad with ya, but I usually use portables in my house anyway.
I doubt we'll see much of the WiiShop at all, anymore.
Though, I do think that he eShop will be cross platform for the 3DS and Cafe.

Glass Joe

AceBandage said:
I doubt we'll see much of the WiiShop at all, anymore.
Though, I do think that he eShop will be cross platform for the 3DS and Cafe.

I think Nintendo's legacy titles will still be for sale for the Cafe, etc. Hopefully they won't be so cheap that they'll make us re-buy them again. It's sort of like The Beatles catalog, it'll always sell so there's always a reason for them to have it up.

A price restructuring would be nice though. As it is, I believe it's:
NES Games = $5
SNES Games = $8
N64 Games = $10

Now that the novelty of e-distribution has worn off, I haven't purchased anything non-essential in ages. Seeing across the board price cuts (and/or 3DS functionality) would add a lot of new life to it though.

Somnid said:
I'm gonna need a source with that. It's not familiar to me and I've usually very up-to-date on this.
You're right, I can't seem to find any quotes outlining the distinction directly. What has been confirmed so far is just NES, SNES and arcade titles for 3DC and GB, GBC, GG and TG16 for VC. There's also been no indications or even hints that we'll ever see handheld titles on 3DC though.

swerve said:
Wha? It'd be a waste to give all 11 million PokeMon B/W players a good reason to go to the store, but giving away a 3D version of a game which very few people under 25 have ever heard of is smart?
Grey would be a better incentive. I don't think many would drop $250 for "free" Pokemon Box 3D.

Besides, a free game is still a free game and can be enjoyed by all. A free app or exrension for a game limits audience to that game.

Amir0x

Banned
I hope Link's Awakening comes on day one. It's literally the only GBC game I'd buy now for more than five cents.

Top Bottom