• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free Excitebike with 3DS May Update?

Chorazin

All I want for this update to do is fix the "if you run your battery to dead, or replace it, you can't StreetPass with anyone who you've already StreetPassed with" bullshit bug that really saps some of my enjoyment from the device.

Everything else will be just gravy.

I can't wait to have some more games to play on this thing.

Really hoping we don't have to wait too long to get some NES/SNES games as well...

Neo Child said:
Good good, lets have it regularly updated... god why is Nintendo so slow at these things? Can they not make a seperate department for the online stuff... well, i mean company.. .like Sony Online Entertainment...
Watching 3DS trailers in 3D as we should be! But yeah, we need new media content regularly.

Big One said:
Any idea when exactly this update is supposed to occur?
Late May.

swerve

lunchwithyuzo said:
Not everyone plays Pokemon, it'd be a waste to push that to all users.

Wha? It'd be a waste to give all 11 million PokeMon B/W players a good reason to go to the store, but giving away a 3D version of a game which very few people under 25 have ever heard of is smart?

Iwata reiterated that the store is coming in late May this morning. What I'm expecting is, Monday May 30th or Tuesday May 31. I think it'll be more than just the E-Shop launching on this day though. Remember that WiiWare and DSiWare will also ditch the points system and I'm thinking that will happen on the same day. I'm also kind of expecting the Wii Shop and Nintendo channel to be merged into 1 channel on the same day. Maybe they can put some E3 video teasers on there too.

Oni Link 666 said:
Iwata reiterated that the store is coming in late May this morning. What I'm expecting is, Monday May 30th or Tuesday May 31. I think it'll be more than just the E-Shop launching on this day though. Remember that WiiWare and DSiWare will also ditch the points system and I'm thinking that will happen on the same day. I'm also kind of expecting the Wii Shop and Nintendo channel to be merged into 1 channel on the same day. Maybe they can put some E3 video teasers on there too.

I've never heard this before. Source?

DarkWish

Father_Brain said:
It's not true. They aren't changing anything with Wii or DSi.

And for those wondering exactly when the update is coming, the latest Iwata said is "around the end of May". Those are the exact words from the official English translation of the Financial Results Briefing earlier today/yesterday (whenever it happened).

Father_Brain said:

I was mistaken. I was confused by the wording of this.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/19/3ds-eshop-detailed-virtual-console-dsiware-demos-and-the-abs/

Much like the streamlined Friend Code system in the 3DS, Nintendo is looking to remove confusion in the digital purchasing realm. The cumbersome "points" system used on both the DSi and Wii is being replaced with the "cash" system preferred by the PS3 and PSP.

Ashodin

Free games are awesome! Nintendo also said they will be pushing free updates to the shop to encourage use of the StreetPass and SpotPass data.

nli10

Plasma said:
Nice, I'm actually looking forward to the update I just want something else to play on my 3DS, kind of bored of the launch games I have already.

You've finished Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars & Samurai Warriors already?!! wow!

I think the launch of the E-shop is going to be a big deal. It's more than just a shop. It's the Nintendo channel and the shop together. That's demos, videos, Virtual Console, and 3DS Ware in the same channel. And then there's the transfer software and the browser which I'm thinking will be released on the same day.

Rich!

nli10 said:
You've finished Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars & Samurai Warriors already?!! wow!

I'm sure many people have. Samurai Warriors isnt out here in the UK, but I've finished Ghost Recon, got three stars on each mission on Pilotwings (perfected half) and I've also completely finished Super Monkey Ball and done a huge amount of leagues on PES 2011.

Unless you're being sarcastic, because it really failed hard. I've played my 3DS absolutely loads, yet I'm still eager/desperate for more.

Holy Order Sol said:
Maybe trying to raise franchise awareness before announcing a new installment...
I like where you're headed with this suggestion.

Bankoiia said:
eShop update incoming May 27th. I bet.

I hope Link's Awakening is available at launch.

Agreed. I'll purchase Link's Awakening DX on day one. The sooner the better.

Rich!

Bankoiia said:
eShop update incoming May 27th. I bet.

I hope Link's Awakening is available at launch.

Hope so. I want a good selection of 3DS Ware and classic games before I go on holiday at the start of June!

dyergram

I got a email from nintendo today asking me to try the ocarina of time demo. Got excited then realised it was some bullshit nintendo tour please make the updates worth my time noe...

Rich!

Holy Order Sol said:
Wow, didn't even know that.
Then again, this time around I will have to endure the PAL-land curse if it's anything like Wii VC.

Not really. The PAL versions on the Wii Virtual Console are the same horribly crippled poor framerate originals with massive borders, while the USA and Japan got their full frame awesome versions.

With the GBA and GBC, the games were pretty much identical, no matter the region (obviously due to it being a handheld and not a console linked to a TV).

kwheaties

Can't wait!!! I hope the $20 Wii/DSi card I've been holding onto will still work with my 3DS!

If not, maybe I can exchange it at Gamestop?

i love nintendo and own a 3ds, but i get the feeling that this is their way of saying the only game available to purchase at the eshop's launch will be excitebike.

paranoidfortean said:
i love nintendo and own a 3ds, but i get the feeling that this is their way of saying the only game available to purchase at the eshop's launch will be excitebike.

We already know that isn't true.
We know a few Game Gear games will be up, as well as the Megman Legends 3 Prequel.

richisawesome said:
[/B]

Not really. The PAL versions on the Wii Virtual Console are the same horribly crippled poor framerate originals with massive borders, while the USA and Japan got their full frame awesome versions.

With the GBA and GBC, the games were pretty much identical, no matter the region (obviously due to it being a handheld and not a console linked to a TV).

Oh I wasn't even thinking about that, I meant the release schedules. I expect them to be different based on region.

methodman said:
Still don't know what games are coming out on the eShop for 3ds, right?

Virtual Console:

Links Awakening DX (GBC)
Super Mario Land (GB)

3DSWare (not final name):

Mega Man Legends 3: Prototype

3D Classics:

Excitebike

Future VS:
Columns (Game Gear)
Shinobi (Game Gear)
Dragon Crystal (Game Gear)
Sonic Triple Trouble (Game Gear)
Sonic Drift 2 (Game Gear)

It would be cool if Nintendo did this with all of their early B-list titles.

-Gyromite

-Balloon Fight

-Ice Climbers

-Kid Icarus

-Kung Fu

Just to name a few.

There are many gamers who weren't around when these first came out and providing them for free could spark interest or even demand for an updated resurrection for many of them.

Emitan

Excitetrucks 3DS port would have been awesome. I'm not really a fan of the original, too basic.
Dark Octave said:
It would be cool if Nintendo did this with all of their early B-list titles.

-Gyromite

-Balloon Fight

-Ice Climbers

-Kid Icarus

-Kung Fu

Just to name a few.

There are many gamers who weren't around when these first came out and could spark interest or even demand for an updated resurrection for many of them.
Shut your dirty mouth.

Boney

Banned
Billychu said:
Excitetrucks 3DS port would have been awesome. I'm not really a fan of the original, too basic.
Shut your dirty mouth.
Yeah it's an E-tier franchise until Uprising releases. Even then it could still be E-tier

Glass Joe

From The Dust said:
Virtual Console:

Links Awakening DX (GBC)
Super Mario Land (GB)
Columns (Game Gear)
Shinobi (Game Gear)

3D Classics:

nothing confirmed yet

I wonder what the prices will be though. That'll make me use the feature often or use the feature rarely. The Wii Shop was too expensive. Those prices could really use a restructuring come Cafe time. Super Mario Land for $3 please. NES 3D Classics better not be over $5.

daffy

Banned
From The Dust said:
Virtual Console:

Links Awakening DX (GBC)
Super Mario Land (GB)
Columns (Game Gear)
Shinobi (Game Gear)

3D Classics:

nothing confirmed yet
Best Launch Ever

free excitebike cool too I guess

yankee666

From The Dust said:
Virtual Console:

Links Awakening DX (GBC)
Super Mario Land (GB)
Columns (Game Gear)
Shinobi (Game Gear)

3D Classics:

Excitebike (Famicom)

Fixed

Now im wondering if the 3D classics will be updated with full screen (like the super mario image from the beggining of the 3d video from Nintento World 2011) or original with borders (like they shown in the E3 2010 demo of the 3d classics)

We need more info ASAP!!!

yankee666 said:
Fixed

Now im wondering if the 3D classics will be updated with full screen (like the super mario image from the beggining of the 3d video from Nintento World 2011) or original with borders (like they shown in the E3 2010 demo of the 3d classics)

We need more info ASAP!!!

I added it right before you finished posting :p

Top Bottom