• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

cleveridea said:
WOW easy to see why review so positive

IGN review using GTX 580 and saying graphics still look good at lower settings

BECAUSE YOU HAVE A 580

Still waiting for patch to play what I thought would be GOTY (and still may be)...
You new to PC gaming or something?

You see this thread this is the fun part, playing the game is just a bonus.

Technosteve said:
You new to PC gaming or something?

You see this thread this is the fun part, playing the game is just a bonus.

back again after a few years of console gaming

customization of PC games is great for those that like tinkering and optimizing, I hate it. But the technology gap now is so great between pc and console, that it really doesnt make sense to play games on console. my laptop has HDMI out so the last "advantage" of console (couch/living room tv) went away for me. Love my new Asus laptop...

Minsc said:
Wish the Flotsam comparison was working (seems L0st Id3ntity's bandwidth was exceeded), but those looked better without bloom as well, you could see a lot more detail, didn't look any duller. Even the sun beams have been better than the shot I posted, that ended up being one of the most jarring examples I've come across.
Here they are again:

Bloom on: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2286376/1305911688-clip-3277kb.jpg
Bloom off: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2286376/1305911931-clip-3725kb.jpg

90% of the locations look miles better with bloom off, 10% being the rare occasion where there is only water and distant backgrounds in the shot.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The whole "Retail users will benefit the most" means they fixed the strange DRM resource issue? Any numbers in from people with SecuRom version using the GoG .exe compared to the new patched file? :)

Salaadin

Easy_D said:
The whole "Retail users will benefit the most" means they fixed the strange DRM resource issue? Any numbers in from people with SecuRom version using the GoG .exe compared to the new patched file? :)

Patch isnt out yet but Im sure someone here will post comparisons when it is.

JohngPR

I set my LOD distance to far and my number of shadowed lights to ultra with little to no loss of FPS (avg of 34 fps walking same path around Flotsam and an avg of 33 fps walking the same path outside in the woods area).

I previously had them set to near and High respectively with SSAO, Motion Blur, and cinematic depth of field disabled.

This is on an HD 5770 Quad Core with 4GB of RAM.

Mashing

Mmmmm... my new i7 2600k and GTX 580 chew through this game with all details (save for ubersampling) at 1920x1200 :). Me am happy camper now.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm a noob, should I use RadeonPro's features Triple buffering and double Vsync ? I have no idea if those help or kill the fps.

Woah! Release this already! Cannot wait!
The plan is to release these changes this evening, as well as a second patch next week.

Performance improvements: approximately 5% to 30% better framerate and faster game loading for many users, depending on their individual systems and game versions. Owners of retail versions can expect the biggest improvements.

More accurate assessment provided by the "auto-detect settings" option will help improve game performance.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Salaadin said:
Patch isnt out yet but Im sure someone here will post comparisons when it is.
The wording certainly makes it sound that way.

"depending on their individual systems and game versions. Owners of retail versions can expect the biggest improvements. "

Aka, if you have a dualcore and or retail version, you will benefit the most.

Kyaw

DennisK4 said:
That nuclear Bloom looks ridiculous.

Minsc said:
Thanks, it actually reminds me a lot of the Codemasters DiRT yellow piss filter, seeing it like that.

That nuclear piss filter is just for that scene/section. Everything else is neutral looking.

Aeana

Blast Processing said:
I have the same card, and at Ultra with AA and SSAO on, I get a pretty consistent 45ish fps in areas around Flotsam and Vergen. I do turn off all blur and DOF and bloom, so maybe that helps. The game also seems smoother with v-synch on.
I haven't really started playing so all of my tests are from the camp at the start. I get 45 FPS on ultra there with SSAO off. I also seem to get 45 FPS there on medium. It's pretty weird.

Aeana said:
I haven't really started playing so all of my tests are from the camp at the start. I get 45 FPS on ultra there with SSAO off. I also seem to get 45 FPS there on medium. It's pretty weird.

I don't have the game in front of me right now, so I can't check, but what settings are changed when you flip from Medium to High to Ultra? It could be that whatever they are just don't really impact performance, or maybe the preset configurations are bugged. Maybe you you used custom and matched it to one of those configs results would be different?

Also, does SSAO on/off make a difference?

Aurarian

Blast Processing said:
I don't have the game in front of me right now, so I can't check, but what settings are changed when you flip from Medium to High to Ultra? It could be that whatever they are just don't really impact performance, or maybe the preset configurations are bugged. Maybe you you used custom and matched it to one of those configs results would be different?

Also, does SSAO on/off make a difference?

From what I can gather SSAO isn't anything great and has been recommended by a lot of users to be turned off because it offers a FPS boost and doesn't really add anything worth losing those frames.

Minsc

Gold Member
Aurarian said:
From what I can gather SSAO isn't anything great and has been recommended by a lot of users to be turned off because it offers a FPS boost and doesn't really add anything worth losing those frames.

From the comparison in the OP, it's very noticeable, and adds a bit of depth to the visuals. Have you seen any other tests?

Aurarian

Minsc said:
From the comparison in the OP, it's very noticeable, and adds a bit of depth to the visuals. Have you seen any other tests?

No, I'm just going from what I've seen others recommending to certain people(probably the ones with less capable cards). Maybe I should have worded it a bit better. If you have a card capable of handling it in addition to the other effects then it's worth it but if you have something that's low to mid end then it would be better with it off for the extra frames unless you don't care.

Salaadin

gdt5016 said:
Will that AMD fix help everything and not just crossfire?
The release notes dont say that it does but he implied last week that they would. I just asked him on twitter if there was any single card improvements.

Salaadin said:
The release notes dont say that it does but he implied last week that they would. I just asked him on twitter if there was any single card improvements.

Single card improvements are definitely in. I will test this myself right now.

burgerdog

Aurarian said:

Bullshit, games look so flat when they do not have ssao.

I can confirm that the AMD driver update makes a BIG difference, even on my 5870m (5770 desktop) GPU.

Avg frame-rate is up 5-7 FPS, minimum FPS is up about the same. Max is a bit higher as well. The game just runs much smoother. In some areas it's up to 10 FPS better.

Combined with the 1.1 patch, the new hotfix drivers are going to make AMD owners very, very happy. Can't wait to test them on my new 6970M. I'll go out on a limb and say that almost every AMD owner can expect a bare minimum of an extra 5 FPS in every scene.

Aurarian

burgerdog said:
Bullshit, games look so flat when they do not have ssao.

Thanks for reading my second reply.

Aurarian said:
No, I'm just going from what I've seen others recommending to certain people(probably the ones with less capable cards). Maybe I should have worded it a bit better. If you have a card capable of handling it in addition to the other effects then it's worth it but if you have something that's low to mid end then it would be better with it off for the extra frames unless you don't care.

Minsc

Gold Member
burgerdog said:
The dithering is not a bug, don't expect it to change.

If they do patch in DX11 support, it's a possibility then perhaps. It can also be almost removed with ubersampling too :)

Between AMD's hotfix and the patch, we should see some encouraging results hopefully! I'm sure there'll be some further fine tuning in the upcoming monthly drivers as well.

AgentOtaku said:
Where the hell is the patch already?

Basically am not playing anymore until it drops =(

Tonight, hopefully. If you have an AMD card, there's a hotfix out for a small boost though (much larger for XFire I pressume).

burgerdog

Minsc said:
If they do patch in DX11 support, it's a possibility then perhaps. It can also be almost removed with ubersampling too :)

Between AMD's hotfix and the patch, we should see some encouraging results hopefully! I'm sure they'll be some further fine tuning in the real monthly driver as well.

Tonight, hopefully. If you have an AMD card, there's a hotfix out for a small boost though.

How does one go about applying a hotfix? Do you uninstall the current driver, or run the file with the current driver installed? I'm just not sure if the RC includes the current driver in there as well.

burgerdog said:
How does one go about applying a hotfix? Do you uninstall the current driver, or run the file with the current driver installed? I'm just not sure if the RC includes the current driver in there as well.

Uninstall current driver completely. Reboot. Run Driver Sweeper (phyxion.net), clean all AMD drivers out.

Install Hotfix drivers. Reboot. All done.

Binabik15

DenogginizerOS said:
5-30% doesn't sound like a huge upgrade to me. But I will take anything at this point.

Say whaaaa?

All I want is a couple more min frames so that it never drops below 30, though 60+ would be even nicer than high 50s as max.

I´m in chapter 2 now, oh my good gods, this is the best thing eva. The fight at the end of chapter 1 reminded me of the GoW Hades fight. Dat purple+black lighting on skin looks sooo amazing and atmospheric. The textures on barrels are mindblowing. This is the only game that gives a good impression of walking through a forrest, IMO. Better than Crysis´ palms and Uncharted 2 jungle.

BoobPhysics101 said:
I can confirm that the AMD driver update makes a BIG difference, even on my 5870m (5770 desktop) GPU.

Avg frame-rate is up 5-7 FPS, minimum FPS is up about the same. Max is a bit higher as well. The game just runs much smoother. In some areas it's up to 10 FPS better.

Combined with the 1.1 patch, the new hotfix drivers are going to make AMD owners very, very happy. Can't wait to test them on my new 6970M. I'll go out on a limb and say that almost every AMD owner can expect a bare minimum of an extra 5 FPS in every scene.

Looks like I´m getting my cake and can eat it, too =D

My framerate was pretty good; on average 40 - 60+ in Prologue and Chapter 1. When I got to Chapter 2 and the part where you
defend the walls against the attack
it dropped to 16. I then turned everything off, changed my resolution to 720p (from 1080p) and tried again. I made 4 extra frames. I don't really understand why I made such a little amount of frames after changing from a 1080p High setting to a 720p low setting. I wonder if there is a memory leak issue?
I use a 480GTX, AMD Phenom X4 955 @3.2ghz and 8GB 1333mhz DDR3.

Salaadin

BoobPhysics101 said:

Hmmm, thats good news. I wonder if Ill be able to kick up a few of the graphics options that I currently have turned off when all is said and done.

Echoplx

BoobPhysics101 said:
Uninstall current driver completely. Reboot. Run Driver Sweeper (phyxion.net), clean all AMD drivers out.

Install Hotfix drivers. Reboot. All done.

Not necessary at all, all you need to do is install over the top of previous drivers.

Salaadin

Aeana said:
It's 9:14 PM in Poland so maybe the patch won't come tonight after all?
Has anyone tried checking the patcher and seeing if something is there? Maybe they just didnt update the site yet.

Top Bottom