• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I wish i could play multiple hours without my thumb hurting so much. Either the slider is too small, or im not holding it the right way. =/ Can't even play 1 hour before it starts hurting. Stupid weak thumb.

idwl

Does the game tell you how many times you've died? Cause I haven't been keeping track(Not that there is that many =P) But it'd be nice to know

SmithnCo

idwl said:
Does the game tell you how many times you've died? Cause I haven't been keeping track(Not that there is that many =P) But it'd be nice to know

Yeah, the number on your file on the file select.

Busaiku

Bisnic said:
I wish i could play multiple hours without my thumb hurting so much. Either the slider is too small, or im not holding it the right way. =/
My biggest issue is that the charge doesn't last long enough.
I'm one of those mooks that doesn't play while it's charging (unless I'm in the middle of a dungeon).

FatCat

Those
owl
conversations are annoying as ever, though I laughed the first time I pressed A. Its nice they kept that element in the game, even if frustrating.

Roto13

You know, I don't have any problems with the battery. I keep the brightness at 4 and play in 3D. I just plug it in whenever I'm not playing it.

Skilletor said:
The camera is pretty horrible sometimes. Especially in enclosed areas. I could definitely do with a manual camera.
Sure. Though I only ever got into problems in some of the very narrow archways. One of the very few examples where the game shows its age.

masterofcoin said:
God damnit. This is like the 4th time I've accidentally closed the game thinking the power button was the pause button.
Shouldn't it bring up the menu (do you really want to shut down)? Plus you have to hold for a good deal with the newest update.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I take back all those mean and nasty things I said about the graphics. Though I do think it is a safe port, the texture upgrade is fantastic and the new models are wonderful. There's a ton of new little details, especially in interiors, that makes the game seem even more lively than the original. Wandering the back alleys of Castle Town was a particular 'wow' moment for me. It looked so nice.

Phife Dawg said:
Shouldn't it bring up the menu (do you really want to shut down)? Plus you have to hold for a good deal with the newest update.

It closes the software just by pressing it. I'll see if I have the new update or not.

psy18

Finally finished the game. 1st experience with OOT here :)

Having played WW and TP beforehand, I can't feel OOT as the best zelda some people are clamoring.

The story? I liked TP's better. It's more interesting than sages stuff. Prolly the better cinematics/cutscenes also contributes to this.

Dungeon? liked WW & TP more. I disliked some mechanics in OOT such as the song of time block.

Of course its not fair to compare the 1st 3D Zelda game with the sequels. Improvements are expected. I'm just curious that some people think that this is still the best Zelda ever.

The graphic is nice with sharp textures. Hate the 3D ghostings and some wonky 3D-pop but the effect is good on some occasion.

also, this game made me hate the slidepad. Especially on epona racing/record. It just keeps sliding under my thumb!

I was soooooo close to buying this.... had a copy of the game and a 3DS in my hands at Target the other day but alas, with a newborn baby in tow, I had to put it back.

Rekubot

Master Quest Forest temple question:

How do I drain the water from the well? Been looking for half an hour now and I give up. :p

KevinCow said:
KYqB3.jpg
I still remember when the author of that strip pitched the idea to me and tried to get me to start reading them. He's a really good guy, so I'm glad these turned out so well, but I'm genuinely surprised that they've managed to be so funny and relevant for so long.

EteRnal_PAL said:
I was soooooo close to buying this.... had a copy of the game and a 3DS in my hands at Target the other day but alas, with a newborn baby in tow, I had to put it back.
EteRnal_PAL
Responsible Member
(Today, 06:58 PM)

jufonuk

not tag worthy
kaskade said:
I love that the 3ds keeps track of the amount of time you play a game. I wish the 360 and PS3 would do that.

something nintendo actually does better than the HD twins with?? WTF??? :p

This game has gone to my second most played game after Ghost Recon, played 11 hours so far (weird thing is, it doesn't sem that long..shows how good the game is)

Kjellson

Rekubot said:
Master Quest Forest temple question:

How do I drain the water from the well? Been looking for half an hour now and I give up. :p
I had the same problem a couple of hours ago, lol.

There is an eye switch inside one of the well's side's wall that is hard to see.

Balb

Bisnic said:
I wish i could play multiple hours without my thumb hurting so much. Either the slider is too small, or im not holding it the right way. =/ Can't even play 1 hour before it starts hurting. Stupid weak thumb.

Yeah it's the slide pad. Not very good for this kind of game at all.

Rekubot

Kjellson said:
I had the same problem a couple of hours ago, lol.

There is an eye switch inside one of the well's side's wall that is hard to see.
Damn, would never have seen that. Thanks.

kr2t0s said:
keep losing the race to get Epona :(

Just pace yourself, and never use up all of your carrots because that will make you slow down and wait longer for the carrots to regenerate. Ingo will blow his load, so to speak, at the beginning, and also try to surge ahead near the end, but if you pace yourself and aways have carrots when you need them, then you'll win easily.

Roto13

I have to stop myself from saying things like "Why are you people having so much trouble with part X? It's so easy!" I have to remember that not everyone has been playing Ocarina of Time nonstop for 13 years. :p

I gave the boss battle mode a try this morning. I forgot how many hits those guys take when you're not using the Biggoron's Sword. I haven't seen Volvagia drop boulders or Phantom Ganon charge at me with his sword in years. They're usually dead before they get the chance. :p

jufonuk

not tag worthy
kr2t0s said:
I hada lot of trouble doing this as well but jsut have to get in front and block him from over taking you, keep to the inside line (nearest the Gate)

Just finished Jabu-Jabu and I have to say that it looked awesome inside compared to how I remembered it on N64!

The colors were so deep and the textures in some rooms were really nice, I had a grand time running around inside :)

PooBone

kr2t0s said:
I still remember playing this game when I was 13, middle of the night on a weekend, sitting in my bedroom with the lights off, trying over and over and losing that race time and time again. When I finally won I got so excited, and then so pissed off at Ingo once he locked the gate. Instead of jumping over the gate that first time I actually jumped over the trees at the back of the ranch. At 5am I just wandered around Hyrule field and parked myself next to the stream to let Epona get a drink of water. I still remember that to this day.

Pimpbaa

DXB-KNIGHT said:
Most of my beloved games were before the PS2 which were on NES,Genesis,SNES, Gameboy and Gamegear <- Loved this era since most games even the ones based on a license were good.

No, you loved that era because you were a kid. And most licensed games were most certainly not good.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
kr2t0s said:

I don't get why people are having such a hard time with this. It seemed really easy to me. I guess a tip would be to never use up that last carrot, wait for them to regen.

Disguises

Divvy said:
I don't get why people are having such a hard time with this. It seemed really easy to me. I guess a tip would be to never use up that last carrot, wait for them to regen.
Another thing I like doing while waiting for carrots to replenish is sit right in front of Talon, he actually ends up pushing you forward.

rhino4evr

Just got the boss key in the Fire Temple. Love this dungeon..completely forgot about it. Something so cool about
Freeing prisoners for keys

Alchemy

Am I the only person who is subconsciously avoiding spoilers despite having played the N64 version a dozen times and MQ a couple? I catch myself doing this and then wonder why I'm being so stupid...

Red

Tried this last night for the first time. Not OoT first time, but OoT 3DS first time.

Man the 3D was awful. I thought the system may have been busted. It belonged to my fiance's younger sister, and she said she had the same problem initially: bad motion sickness and headaches within 10 minutes. She said she got used to it, but I don't even want to try. It looks great in 2D and plays very well because of the improved frame rate. But that 3D -- my god. It was constantly unsynced unless I had it in the exact perfect position, like 1mm off and the image suddenly split, got all muddy, and I was seeing two of everything.

Glad I held off on a 3DS purchase now, hopefully a future revision can address some of those issues.

The game itself though? Great as always. If Ocarina has one thing absolutely nailed, it's the pacing.

Medalion

Banned
Crunched said:
Tried this last night for the first time. Not OoT first time, but OoT 3DS first time.

Man the 3D was awful. I thought the system may have been busted. It belonged to my fiance's younger sister, and she said she had the same problem initially: bad motion sickness and headaches within 10 minutes. She said she got used to it, but I don't even want to try. It looks great in 2D and plays very well because of the improved frame rate. But that 3D -- my god. It was constantly unsynced unless I had it in the exact perfect position, like 1mm off and the image suddenly split, got all muddy, and I was seeing two of everything.

Glad I held off on a 3DS purchase now, hopefully a future revision can address some of those issues.

The game itself though? Great as always. If Ocarina has one thing absolutely nailed, it's the pacing.
There is not going to be a 3DS revision to "fix" the 3D.... you have to train your eyes/brain to watch this kind of 3D more to develop that muscle so you don't get disoriented... if you keep holding off, you come back to it later, it will still have the same effect. Play for a short time and rest and come back again later.

bumpkin

Crunched said:

Did you try dialing down the 3D a little bit? I can't play anything on it with the slider all the way up; the picture gets all jumbled and I feel (and probably am) cross-eyed. For me, halfway -- the top edge of the slider level with the top edge of the arrow -- is the sweet spot. It's there, but not too intense.

Red

bumpkin said:
Did you try dialing down the 3D a little bit? I can't play anything on it with the slider all the way up; the picture gets all jumbled and I feel (and probably am) cross-eyed. For me, halfway -- the top edge of the slider level with the top edge of the arrow -- is the sweet spot. It's there, but not too intense.
I couldn't really tell a difference except lower IQ until the slider was almost 3/4 on. The effect was subtle, not enough to make it worthwhile for me, and came with shallow outlines of objects until the slider was completely up. Once the 3D was maxed I wasn't getting just outlines, but complete double images.

Medalion said:
There is not going to be a 3DS revision to "fix" the 3D.... you have to train your eyes/brain to watch this kind of 3D more to develop that muscle so you don't get disoriented... if you keep holding off, you come back to it later, it will still have the same effect. Play for a short time and rest and come back again later.
The current method of built-in 3D isn't ideal. There must be a better solution. Perhaps not a perfect one, but a better one. Some way to allow more people to enjoy the effect without being restricted from moving the device even a tiny bit.

I'm talking about the screen of course, I realize they aren't going to simply invent a new way of displaying 3D.

Medalion

Banned
Crunched said:
I couldn't really tell a difference except lower IQ until the slider was almost 3/4 on. The effect was subtle, not enough to make it worthwhile for me, and came with shallow outlines of objects until the slider was completely up. Once the 3D was maxed I wasn't getting just outlines, but complete double images.

The current method of built-in 3D isn't ideal. There must be a better solution. Perhaps not a perfect one, but a better one. Some way to allow more people to enjoy the effect without being restricted from moving the device even a tiny bit.

I'm talking about the screen of course, I realize they aren't going to simply invent a new way of displaying 3D.
The so-called sweet spot of 3D is somewhat limited for the 3DS, there is a way to produce 3D screens with more than 1 sweet spot to allow a better angle of view with minimal loss of effect, but you feeling disoriented or getting headaches from playing 3D the way you do will happen no matter what unless you train yourself to get used to it.

WillyFive

Crunched said:

Perhaps, but from my experience, the size of the 3D window wasn't even a problem. If I was playing it, I wasn't moving my head around a lot, like any other game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I suddenly despise Canadian covers even moreso. Why ruin the cover with the bilingual label? It's great that I can play it in French (I might play through Master Quest in French), but don't destroy the cover!

JD0Yl.jpg

I wish we got the US cover... Ours isn't even shiny. Apparently the US didn't get the shinies either!

Gravijah

Fishing hole=wooooooow. Fishing pole coming out of your screen=my eyeeeeeeessssss.

Dark Schala said:
I suddenly despise Canadian covers even moreso. Why ruin the cover with the bilingual label? It's great that I can play it in French (I might play through Master Quest in French), but don't destroy the cover!

http://i.imgur.com/JD0Yl.jpg[/MG]

I wish we got the US cover... Ours isn't even shiny.[/QUOTE]

I prefer the non-shiny version, but I'm kinda crazy like that.

Skilletor

Crunched said:

I've had similar issues. I turn it off.

I'm getting a constant double image in Jabu's stomach. I'm pretty sure my eyes are not meant for 3D. I'm just not going to bother with it anymore.

=HERO=

Neo Member
ratcliffja said:
I still remember when the author of that strip pitched the idea to me and tried to get me to start reading them. He's a really good guy, so I'm glad these turned out so well, but I'm genuinely surprised that they've managed to be so funny and relevant for so long.

Love Brawl In The Family myself, gems like this one come too frequently for me not to. Man, I remember reading it for the first time around...I don't remember exactly, but I was playing the Wii version of Okami around release when I started to.

Dark Schala said:

JD0Yl.jpg

I wish we got the US cover... Ours isn't even shiny.

Mine isn't shiny either, and I got a U.S. version.

dc89

Crunched said:

I don't think they've found a way around physics yet :(

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Dark Schala said:
I wish we got the US cover... Ours isn't even shiny.

The US version isn't shiny, it's just the special EU cover that uses the US art that is shiny. I agree with you though, the French logo is obtrusive, it should be down the bottom with the ESRB rating not slapped any old place.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gravijah said:
I prefer the non-shiny version, but I'm kinda crazy like that.
Shinies can be pretty sometimes. >.>

Time to run through the Fire Temple. I did what I always do:
get the bow & arrow from the Forest Temple, run out of there, get the Biggoron Sword, then come back to fight Phantom Ganon
. :D

Ushojax said:
The US version isn't shiny, it's just the special EU cover that uses the US art that is shiny. I agree with you though, the French logo is obtrusive, it should be down the bottom with the ESRB rating not slapped any old place.
Ah, gotcha. Yes... the bilingual logo is a bit irritating. Though it isn't as bad as the Canadian bilingual cover of FFIV DS vs the US cover of FFIV DS. Actually, I had two copies of Bubble Bobble Double Shot--the Canadian cover seemed to be printed badly, and the US cover was fine. Oh well.

Top Bottom