• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2011 Anime Thread of Idols, Penguins, and IKUHARA'S RETURN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee 3 - Consistently solid episode as usual. Paris and Japan sure are awesome, huh? Love them! That's this anime's message. I do like the attention to detail in Paris though, you virtually never see anime set in Europe that's actually accurate at all, much less something set in the past in Europe that has any accuracy... this does. Of course it's still anime, so you have things like some very anime-esque ojousama-types (one of whom is now a Japanophile apparently; at least they don't have full-on drill hair...), but still, very good work.

As for the plot, in this episode we are reminded that the store is poor and struggling, Claude has some interest in learning about Japan (writing, in this episode), and Yune doesn't know French customs or weather. She's really young, I wonder why her parents allowed her to go overseas with this guy... she has a sister who's still alive, so I assume she has parents anyway. Oh, Claude's visions of Japan based on their descriptions were certainly amusing as expected. :)

R-15 3 - Another mostly good episode! This episode had some slow parts, and certainly wasn't consistently all good, but a lot of it was pretty entertaining stuff. This is a fun to watch bad show indeed... :) In this episode, tsun camera girl shows the pictures from when the missile almost hit him in ep. 1, and gets him in trouble. Then, mad scientist girl has another invention go awry, and he gets stuck (back to back) with that same girl form ep. 1, the musician one. Some of this was amusing, some slower, but overall it was funny.

Then, in the ending, the two of them finally get separated...
but then the invention goes crazy and starts shooting lightning bolts around and pulling things towards it, making a giant ball in the sky. Conveniently (for a show in this genre), probably 90% of the ball is made up of girls' underwear. I wonder where it all came from, there are some shots of the girls in the area having their underwear pulled off by the thing, I think (hard to tell under the censorship), but there aren't nearly enough of them around to form such a large ball... oh well. Also, it sure is convenient that it mostly attracted girls' underwear, along with some outer clothing and electronics, huh? Yeah, convenient... (Oh, the way our MC saves the day was pretty silly too. Nosebleeds to the rescue!

Steroyd said:
... I know you have an affinity to bad anime's, but c'mon man you shun the good shows to?

I'm watching some good shows... Croisee, Nichijou, etc... but Penguin Drum does not sound particularly interesting.

Izayoi

Banned
Sailor Moon 131-136 - I don't know if that was a trainwreck or brilliant. Maybe both? A couple of gems in there, but wow.

C_V

Wadq1.png

Some quick scribble I did because of a few posts earlier.
If it didn't exist, it does now.

And now I go back to lurking~

cajunator

Banned
Aigis said:
Is "Gainax" really a reason to watch it?

I mean, it's not really the same Gainax that brought us shows like Evangelion, FLCL, and Gurren Lagann. It's their B-team I guess.

Most of the cool Gainax regulars are too busy working on iM@S and Penguindrum this season.
Which Gainax brought us the abomination "This ugly yet beautiful world" or kono minikuku mo utsukushii sekai?

faridmon

Ano-Hana Ep 1-5Holy crap this is so good, why didn't I watch this earlier, I don't know. Toradora people delivered and its about the best slice of life I have watched recently. After the dissapoinment of Iroha, I though this would be another cookie cutter moe crap that was being sterotypical, but luckly its quite realistic how its adapting its characters into sitauations and thier reactions. The only bad thing I would say, is that the charcters are supuer annoying because none of them are having any empathy whatsoever. But I gus that is what makes us human. Hopefully the charcters devolop furthur as watch it.

Branduil

faridmon said:
Ano-Hana Ep 1-5Holy crap this is so good, why didn't I watch this earlier, I don't know. Toradora people delivered and its about the best slice of life I have watched recently. After the dissapoinment of Iroha, I though this would be another cookie cutter moe crap that was being sterotypical, but luckly its quite realistic how its adapting its characters into sitauations and thier reactions. The only bad thing I would say, is that the charcters are supuer annoying because none of them are having any empathy whatsoever. But I gus that is what makes us human. Hopefully the charcters devolop furthur as watch it.

jgjwnp.gif

BluWacky

faridmon said:

I'm quite impressed that you can like the show despite the characters being "super annoying"!

I don't dislike AnoHana as much as many people in the thread, but then I too have only watched the first five episodes...

faridmon

BluWacky said:
I'm quite impressed that you can like the show despite the characters being "super annoying"!

I don't dislike AnoHana as much as many people in the thread, but then I too have only watched the first five episodes...
Well, people are annoying and I feel that is what the Anime is aiming for. The whole egotistical beast that make us horrible. In the Anime, people are only thinking about themself and nothing else. Maybe, I am looking at this in the view of how the behaviour of those charcter can affect each other.

Keep in mind, That another reason why I am quite happy about it, is that, I am only halfway in, and I am hoping for a furthure character devolopment and some agreement about teh whole Enma thing. I haevn't read any of others discussion about it, since I didn't want them to spoil it for me, But i heard they sort of hate it. So far, I am disagreeing with them.

Having said that, I am kind of getting irritated by the whole Tsundre thing about every charcter in the Anime, but I am taking the good and trying to forget/ignore the bad.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
C_V said:
Wadq1.png

Some quick scribble I did because of a few posts earlier.
If it didn't exist, it does now.

And now I go back to lurking~

I like. I'll draw a picture of her sometime this week too. Tans aren't tans unless there's lots of fanart of them. :)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
faridmon said:
Well, people are annoying and I feel that is what the Anime is aiming for. The whole egotistical beast that make us horrible. In the Anime, people are only thinking about themself and nothing else. Maybe, I am looking at this in the view of how the behaviour of those charcter can affect each other.
How is writing a cast based entirely on anime tropes considered realistic in what universe?

faridmon

Lafiel said:
How is writing a cast based entirely on anime tropes considered realistic in what universe?
1) Relatively speaking
2) Based on my own interpotatioon. Yes, they might not be entirely realstic (They are anime tropes after all), but they do enterpit one side quite realistic and its how egotestical one can be. Of course ones you focus on the ''Anime trope''-ness, you will start ignore other things which will make you hate it, but for me, I see it that way.

Also, I have watched lot of things with annoying charcters, and once you compare it, those in Ano Hana are saints.

kiryogi

Banned
For Seiyuu fans and android users: https://market.android.com/details?...urchaseButton=6ZkATgjoF3prtyLDKsqKhP6uxsM=000

It's a seiyuu clock from bijin tokei with their actual voices! So many different options and the lineup is spectacular!

*Rie Tanaka
Shinryaku! Ika Musume as Chizuru Aizawa

*Chiaki Takahashi
The Idolmaster as Azusa Miura

*Asami Imai
Steins;Gate as Kurisu Makise

*Yuuko Goto
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya as Mikuru Asahina

*Saori Goto
Maria†Holic Alive as Yuzuru Inamori

*Ami Koshimizu
Suite PreCure as Hibiki Houjou

*Yuhko Kaida
Battle Vixens as Shimei Ryomo

*Hiromi Konno
Nichijou as Hakase

*Marina Inoue
IS (Infinite Stratos) as Laurer Bodevihhi

*Ayumi Fujimura
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt as Kneesocks

*Yu Kobayashi
Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san as Undine

*Kana Asumi
Working!! as Popura Taneshima

And they each have 6 variations of voices for each seiyuu as an alarm clock. Yes...Koshimizu has her Holo style voice :D :D :D You can have Holo wake you up! And for recent imas fans, both Chiaki Takahashi and Asami Imai have their respective styles there too.

There's also the first Bisei Tokei ( https://market.android.com/details?id=com.zeroone.bisei.tokei&feature=more_from_developer ), but I can't say the lineup is nearly as impressive:

*Ai Nonaka
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica as Kyouko Sakura

*Yui Kano
Gosick as Cecile Lafitte

*Akemi Kanda
Maria†Holic Alive as Nanami Kiri

*Ryo Hirohashi
Working!! as Aoi Yamada

*Masumi Asano
Giant Killing as Yuri Nagata

*Tomoko Kaneda
Azumanga Daioh as Chiyo Mihama

*Satomi Sato
K-On! as Ritsu Tainaka

*Houko Kuwashima
HeartCatch PreCure! as Itsuki Myodoin

*Mai Aizawa
Nichijou as Mio Naganohara

*Yuka Saito
Seitokai no Ichizon as Chizuru Akaba

*Ryoko Shiraishi
Hayate the Combat Butler as Hayate Ayasaki

*Kanae Ito
Hanasaku Iroha as Ohana Matsumae

faridmon

Ano Hana Ep 6 :-OK, I am starting to demper my apprectiation now. Am I right in saying, there is lot of angst involved. Most of them for no reason? I actually like when Yotobi saved Anjou in that scholl, but then what? More angst? *sigh*

Its getting very Emo at this point, which I really dislike (See my hate for KEY Animes), but I am kind of digging the universe and the storyline in general.
Oh, and lot of crying for no reason as well...

faridmon

Ano hana Ep. 8:-Plot devlopment, I like it. Leets see if what they are doing works out just fine.

Too bad this one won't get locelised. NISA is Atlus of Anime. No European distrebution. I am still waiting for ToraDora!! :(

Lain

kiryogi said:
Seiyuu stuff
I don't have an android (or any kind of smartphone for that matter), otherwise Yu Kobayashi or Ami Koshimizu would be nice to have.
Too bad there's no Rie Kugimiya or Satomi Arai (for some reason I find her voice fun).

kiryogi

Banned
Lain said:
I don't have an android (or any kind of smartphone for that matter), otherwise Yu Kobayashi or Ami Koshimizu would be nice to have.
Too bad there's no Rie Kugimiya or Satomi Arai (for some reason I find her voice fun).
It's actually available on the iphone too. But I was introduced to it on Android.

e_i

kiryogi said:
For Seiyuu fans and android users: https://market.android.com/details?...urchaseButton=6ZkATgjoF3prtyLDKsqKhP6uxsM=000

It's a seiyuu clock from bijin tokei with their actual voices! So many different options and the lineup is spectacular!

*Rie Tanaka
Shinryaku! Ika Musume as Chizuru Aizawa

*Chiaki Takahashi
The Idolmaster as Azusa Miura

*Asami Imai
Steins;Gate as Kurisu Makise

*Yuuko Goto
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya as Mikuru Asahina

*Saori Goto
Maria†Holic Alive as Yuzuru Inamori

*Ami Koshimizu
Suite PreCure as Hibiki Houjou

*Yuhko Kaida
Battle Vixens as Shimei Ryomo

*Hiromi Konno
Nichijou as Hakase

*Marina Inoue
IS (Infinite Stratos) as Laurer Bodevihhi

*Ayumi Fujimura
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt as Kneesocks

*Yu Kobayashi
Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san as Undine

*Kana Asumi
Working!! as Popura Taneshima

And they each have 6 variations of voices for each seiyuu as an alarm clock. Yes...Koshimizu has her Holo style voice :D :D :D You can have Holo wake you up! And for recent imas fans, both Chiaki Takahashi and Asami Imai have their respective styles there too.

There's also the first Bisei Tokei ( https://market.android.com/details?id=com.zeroone.bisei.tokei&feature=more_from_developer ), but I can't say the lineup is nearly as impressive:

*Ai Nonaka
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica as Kyouko Sakura

*Yui Kano
Gosick as Cecile Lafitte

*Akemi Kanda
Maria†Holic Alive as Nanami Kiri

*Ryo Hirohashi
Working!! as Aoi Yamada

*Masumi Asano
Giant Killing as Yuri Nagata

*Tomoko Kaneda
Azumanga Daioh as Chiyo Mihama

*Satomi Sato
K-On! as Ritsu Tainaka

*Houko Kuwashima
HeartCatch PreCure! as Itsuki Myodoin

*Mai Aizawa
Nichijou as Mio Naganohara

*Yuka Saito
Seitokai no Ichizon as Chizuru Akaba

*Ryoko Shiraishi
Hayate the Combat Butler as Hayate Ayasaki

*Kanae Ito
Hanasaku Iroha as Ohana Matsumae

$10? Me wants though...

Edit: Nope...it says $8.50 on my phone.

mAcOdIn

Lafiel said:
It's funny both shows seem to be taking the opposite progression in terms of quality - Haniro was one of the best shows in spring, now it's one of the worst of summer, nichijou was one of the worst shows in spring, now apparently based on reception it's one of the best shows running in summer!
You all should have been on Team AnoHana from the start. Suckers! I'm going to laugh my ass off when in the end AnoHana ends up being the overall better show!
Geneijin said:
Late reply:

jUu7k.jpg

Mini-skirt Space Pirates still has a chance for Fall. BELIEVE.
I'm a sucker for space shit so I'll bite. Bet it sucks though.

cajunator

Banned
faridmon said:

Keep in mind, That another reason why I am quite happy about it, is that, I am only halfway in, and I am hoping for a furthure character devolopment and some agreement about teh whole Enma thing. I haevn't read any of others discussion about it, since I didn't want them to spoil it for me, But i heard they sort of hate it. So far, I am disagreeing with them.

Having said that, I am kind of getting irritated by the whole Tsundre thing about every charcter in the Anime, but I am taking the good and trying to forget/ignore the bad.
The characters are kind of weak and stupid. Even I will admit that. However I enjoyed the show for what it was and I think there's a chance you will like it as well.

Jintor said:
hurrr durrr 10 minute sketch I think?

tumblr_low6l64E6O1qgs4kho1_400.jpg

we should get some sketch jams going

I may join in this endeavor.

mAcOdIn

Jintor said:
Jesus, I really fucked up those shoulders

urrgh

I'm going back to using mechanical pencils...
Jintor, the thing on the left is his GAF colored penis right?

Haha, bet you guys can't unsee it now!

faridmon

cajunator said:
The characters are kind of weak and stupid. Even I will admit that. However I enjoyed the show for what it was and I think there's a chance you will like it as well.
There are quite a depth to the characters even with thier annoyance, so I have to disagree with you there. Maybe, its one of the shows I could call ''better than sum of its parts''.

I am enjoying it quite a bit, Its the best one out there, but it does have its hook. Its preety artstyle and vibrant colours doesn't hurt either.

cajunator

Banned
faridmon said:
There are quite a depth to the characters even with thier annoyance, so I have to disagree with you there. Maybe, its one of the shows I could call ''better than sum of its parts''.

I am enjoying it quite a bit, Its the best one out there, but it does have its hook. Its preety artstyle and vibrant colours doesn't hurt either.
Well, you haven't seen the whole show yet...
Anyway, I'll leave you to decide what you think of it. I still ended up enjoying it.

That space pirate anime looks boss. Will watch.

Jintor

mAcOdIn said:
Jintor, the thing on the left is his GAF colored penis right?

Haha, bet you guys can't unsee it now!

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu D:

orz

Jintor

Wholesome Anigaf-tans only, thanks.

Anyway, Usagi Drop 01: I fucking love almost everything about this show right now. The soundtrack especially is incredibly soothing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
faridmon said:
Ano Hana Ep 6 :-OK, I am starting to demper my apprectiation now. Am I right in saying, there is lot of angst involved. Most of them for no reason? I actually like when Yotobi saved Anjou in that scholl, but then what? More angst? *sigh*

Its getting very Emo at this point, which I really dislike (See my hate for KEY Animes), but I am kind of digging the universe and the storyline in general.
Oh, and lot of crying for no reason as well...

It's a relationship drama featuring queer characters. Certainly it's not YuruYuri. :lol

Jintor

I guess you can draw anything you wouldn't mind your boss seeing? It's a good rule of thumb. Not perfect, of course, because some people have cooler/weirder bosses than others.

cajunator

Banned
Jintor said:
I guess you can draw anything you wouldn't mind your boss seeing? It's a good rule of thumb. Not perfect, of course, because some people have cooler/weirder bosses than others.
Hard to say. she's a NASCAR fan and from Arizona. Who knows what she will tolerate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom