• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2011 Anime Thread of Idols, Penguins, and IKUHARA'S RETURN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

A Black Falcon said:
I don't care enough about Penguin Drum to actually bother to watch it...
You're part of the problem.

Oh wait, there is no problem. What am I saying, everyone watches that show.
Articalys said:
Is it a common thing for a lot of shows to publish like a month's worth of upcoming episode summaries in magazines? I think I remember for Star Driver there were a bunch of details on episode 12 or something while episode 8 had just aired.
It happens in other countries as well, like I've read about stuff like in magazines for live action shows.

cajunator said:
What is defined as "wholesome"?
I think large breasts are wholesome.

Sacred Seven 4
Eh, average episode. The awkwardness between Ruri and Tandoji was funny though. What was she drinking that was so embarrassing?

faridmon

Ano Hana 9 - End: - Aye, the charcters became queer by the end there. I feel that teh Director wanted to induce much prolong sadness into the characters untill the had to burst it open in the final Episode, and man, what a silly and very cring-worthy episode, but a moving one nonetheless. I quite liked the plot in its general sense and the balance between slice of life and super natural theme of it. the charcters were... Intresting, to say the least but in the end, they did help the plot to move forward. Although, it would be one of those shows that could benifit from either, a long epilogue, or a what-if sort of scenario to see how they would act and react to different sitautions.

I think its one of those Anime That, when I look back on it, think how emo and melcious it was, but could see the porpuse of it (unlike those stupd Key Anime). I really liked the art style, and it was implemented way better here than in ToraDora!! where the charcter propotion was just wierd. Also, I really liked the consistancy of it. features such as th red brick showing multiple times, the friends of Anjou and the father all helped to bring this universe to life. Also, the animation was super nice for a slice of life. Soundtrack wise; it was OK, nothing outstanding about, However, i did like teh opening song from Galelio Galelei (who are one of my favourite Japanese bands, despite having only thier debut album).

There were flasws, mainly with the angst and the emo theme that revolved around the characters. Crying for no reason just drags the whole flow down, to a point that I just which every time I see character, that he/she would not cry in that particuler scene. Also, The plot, while being good, was rather thin and was stretched out quite far by those characters. the writing wasn't that special either.

All in all, happy with it. It could have been a lot better and I certainly feel that it wasted a lot opportunity since the foundation was solid, but I am glad I watched and I did get a kick out of it.

[7]

Steroyd

A Black Falcon said:
I'm watching some good shows... Croisee, Nichijou, etc... but Penguin Drum does not sound particularly interesting.

It's from the same person who directed Sailormoon S, what more could you want?

cajunator

Banned
faridmon said:
Ano Hana 9 - End: - Aye, the charcters became queer by the end there. I feel that teh Director wanted to induce much prolong sadness into the characters untill the had to burst it open in the final Episode, and man, what a silly and very cring-worthy episode, but a moving one nonetheless. I quite liked the plot in its general sense and the balance between slice of life and super natural theme of it. the charcters were... Intresting, to say the least but in the end, they did help the plot to move forward. Although, it would be one of those shows that could benifit from either, a long epilogue, or a what-if sort of scenario to see how they would act and react to different sitautions.

I think its one of those Anime That, when I look back on it, think how emo and melcious it was, but could see the porpuse of it (unlike those stupd Key Anime). I really liked the art style, and it was implemented way better here than in ToraDora!! where the charcter propotion was just wierd. Also, I really liked the consistancy of it. features such as th red brick showing multiple times, the friends of Anjou and the father all helped to bring this universe to life. Also, the animation was super nice for a slice of life. Soundtrack wise; it was OK, nothing outstanding about, However, i did like teh opening song from Galelio Galelei (who are one of my favourite Japanese bands, despite having only thier debut album).

There were flasws, mainly with the angst and the emo theme that revolved around the characters. Crying for no reason just drags the whole flow down, to a point that I just which every time I see character, that he/she would not cry in that particuler scene. Also, The plot, while being good, was rather thin and was stretched out quite far by those characters. the writing wasn't that special either.

All in all, happy with it. It could have been a lot better and I certainly feel that it wasted a lot opportunity since the foundation was solid, but I am glad I watched and I did get a kick out of it.

[7]

Thats how I felt about it. It's no Haibane Renmei or anything, but it was a decent watch and surely not worthy of the hateful venomous vitriol that spews forth from this forum like spit from a very ticked off llama.

faridmon

Jintor said:
Watching Usagi Drop is an absolute pleasure after watching Madoka's godawful base animation, btw
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I was looking forward to watch that (I only watched 1 Episode) but I hate bad animation. This crap feels like locked 30 fps in PC games :(

cajunator said:
Thats how I felt about it. It's no Haibane Renmei or anything, but it was a decent watch and surely not worthy of the hateful venomous vitriol that spews forth from this forum like spit from a very ticked off llama.
Aye, I did hear about the hate it was having. But at that time I was busy with Exams and courseworks which made me ignore the Anime threads like a plague, so I didn't get affected by the hive mind. But yeah, I liked, but it could have been better.

Now that I think about actually, ToraDora!! is like that as well...

Jintor

Don't worry, the overall concept and story are worth it. And the bizarro animation in barrier-worlds is always incredible (Shaft's specialty).

Just

fucking wide-ass faces and Shaft off-modelness everywhere

god, so bad

tiff

Banned
Jintor said:
I guess you can draw anything you wouldn't mind your boss seeing? It's a good rule of thumb. Not perfect, of course, because some people have cooler/weirder bosses than others.
Good thing I'm unemployed!

Steroyd

Jintor said:
Just

god, so bad

cap_s2sp2_02-06.jpg

cajunator said:
Ano Hana isn't as much of an abomination as some people make it out to be, but none of the characters received enough development for me to care about them in the end, which left the whole thing feeling flat. Key (particularly Kanon 2006 and Clannad VN) does the melodrama thing better.

jman2050

Jintor said:
Don't worry, the overall concept and story are worth it. And the bizarro animation in barrier-worlds is always incredible (Shaft's specialty).

Just

god, so bad

dem's fighting words

I'm not a fan of it but I didn't think it was ugly. It works for the type of show it is

cajunator

Banned
hosannainexcelsis said:
Ano Hana isn't as much of an abomination as some people make it out to be, but none of the characters received enough development for me to care about them in the end, which left the whole thing feeling flat. Key (particularly Kanon 2006 and Clannad VN) does the melodrama thing better.
Key does the oppressively melodramatic hyper-depression thing better than Saikano. I thought that was the epitome until I watched Clannad/After Story.

Don't hate on the wide faces! At least it was unique!
haters man....

faridmon

hosannainexcelsis said:
34hudxdd72o.gif

Jintor

jman2050 said:
dem's fighting words

I'm not a fan of it but I didn't think it was ugly. It works for the type of show it is

I know that, but that doesn't mean it worked for me at all. I had to kind of conceptualise everything I was watching as a kind of radio drama to cope, heh - hyperbole, obviously, but I really, really did not like the default visual style.

Uniqueness is all well and good, and I'm glad it wasn't just... generic, you know, but I think Madoka would have been even better if they had gone with a style that was just... well... on the slicker side of Mahou Shoujo.

Btw the correct title is Puelle Magi, right?

cajunator

Banned
Jintor said:
I know that, but that doesn't mean it worked for me at all. I had to kind of conceptualise everything I was watching as a kind of radio drama to cope, heh - hyperbole, obviously, but I really, really did not like the default visual style.

Uniqueness is all well and good, and I'm glad it wasn't just... generic, you know, but I think Madoka would have been even better if they had gone with a style that was just... well... on the slicker side of Mahou Shoujo.

Btw the correct title is Puelle Magi, right?
Well, I've watched so much anime at this point that I welcome any change in art style.
There are a few exceptions to this, but not many.
I especially love Studio 4C.

Jintor

I was just going by what TVTropes says, I was just confused about why we were calling it Mahou Shoujo

I'm definitely glad I watched it though. Clever, clever series.

It'd inspire me to play Saya no Uta if I wasn't such a fucking coward about rooms made of meat and bone

By the way, if anyone in AnimeGAF lives in Australia, pick up HYPER>> magazine this Wednesday, read the new (relaunched) anime section, and feel free to blast me for my terrible opinions

cajunator

Banned
Jintor said:
I was just going by what TVTropes says, I was just confused about why we were calling it Mahou Shoujo

I'm definitely glad I watched it though. Clever, clever series.

It'd inspire me to play Saya no Uta if I wasn't such a fucking coward about rooms made of meat and bone

By the way, if anyone in AnimeGAF lives in Australia, pick up HYPER>> magazine this Wednesday, read the new (relaunched) anime section, and feel free to blast me for my terrible opinions
That VN made me kind of hungry.
It looked like food more than it looked grotesque. Is there something wrong with me/?

Jintor

not really. I don't think the images themselves were that bad, it was really the imagery. I find it difficult to sleep most nights, so thinking about that shit in a cold pitch-black room with what seems like an infinite abyss above me is a recipe for fucked up sleeping patterns for months, on top of my traditional 2am sleeping time.

Honestly I had bad experiences just from 999, and that game is pretty tame. So... yeah.

trejo

Jintor said:
It'd inspire me to play Saya no Uta if I wasn't such a fucking coward about rooms made of meat and bone.
It's really not all that bad and the story is pretty great. And of course by great I mean really effing messed up.

Jex

Master Milk said:
Sacred Seven 4
Eh, average episode. The awkwardness between Ruri and Tandoji was funny though. What was she drinking that was so embarrassing?
Nothing is ever average in SS.

cajunator

Banned
I didn't actually play the VN, I watched someone play it on youtube, which basically meant that all the naughty bits were edited out. I'm sure if those elements were visible it might have been even more disturbing. The music is INCREDIBLE.

Jex

Jintor said:
We all know that could never have happened!

C_V said:
Wadq1.png

Some quick scribble I did because of a few posts earlier.
If it didn't exist, it does now.

And now I go back to lurking~

That's actually pretty damn good. Great job.

RurouniZel said:
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee499/RurouniZel/5511eb49.jpg

Just doodled this up during lunch. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I like!

Jex

firehawk12 said:
The next Danny Choo inspired step would be to a) make an anime and b) make a figma.
I hear the sound of sweet merchandising.

It sounds like the trapped souls of the dammed. Weird.

tiff

Banned
RurouniZel said:
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee499/RurouniZel/5511eb49.jpg[IMG]

Just doodled this up during lunch. Thoughts? Suggestions?[/QUOTE]
It looks good. Are the eyes supposed to be the GAF logo like in C-V's?

RurouniZel said:
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee499/RurouniZel/5511eb49.jpg[IMG]

Just doodled this up during lunch. Thoughts? Suggestions?[/QUOTE]
Bigger breasts? Twintails? But it looks good.

Oh hey, top of the page. Someone tell me what Ruri was drinking in Sacred Seven that was so embarrassing!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
tiff said:
It looks good. Are the eyes supposed to be the GAF logo like in C-V's?

Yes, they're like C_V's. Essentially I like his design, but I can't do fanart w/o a body, so I designed it around the head. (^-^)

Uta no Prince Sama ep 4
tumblr_lowf47rBc71qbz42yo1_250.gif

Dance scene, with Ittoki, at the beginning was probably the highlight of the episode. Otherwise it was pretty decent overall. I think it needed a bit more comedy and was just way too serious. Ren is just not that interesting of a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom