• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
DennisK4 said:
How is Carcasonne as a single-player game?

Any fun at all?
It is alright, but multiplayer is great, and that is coming from someone who never likes multiplayer.

I don't think it is worth it if you are just going to be playing single player.

Utako said:
Looking at your avatar, I'm thinking Mega Man Legends might not be bad to rip off. Who cares how horrible it is, we won't be getting anything else!
Yeah, Mega Man was another one I was thinking about, which could be Legends of just a rip off of the classic formula.
neojubei said:
Shadow Complex would be great if Gameloft wants to copy it.
I think it would work pretty well. I'm kind of surprised they haven't done a Metrovania clone yet.

Tobor said:
Elder Scrolls!
Isn't Aralon kind of like a Elder Scrolls? I thought Sacred Odyssey was Gameloft's version of Elder Scrolls, but I was surprised to find out it was a Zelda clone!

atre324

the closest thing you can get to metroidvania is likely Elemental Rage, although I'm not sure how good it is. I guess Perfect Cell and Robot Wants Kitty have elements of that too

And yeah, Aralon is the closest you'll get to an elder scrolls game, although anyone ever play Xenome? Been wondering about that one.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FYI don't be fooled by Stickman BMX's sales and oddly positive reviews from other outlets. It's not good!

I'll be reviewing it tomorrow and I haven't quite decided what its score is going to be, but I know it's going to be sub-good, at least.

Zombie Gunship on the other hand... I'm hooked on it at the moment. There's a good chance I'll turn IGN Wireless into "All Zombie Gunship, All the Time" for a few days...

Zoc

Zzoram said:
How do they use your iTunes money anyways? Do they buy stuff for you? I thought already redeemed credit couldn't be used to gift purchases.

Yeah, the mf logged into my account, bought some free app, and then made a $50 in-app purchase. I guess scum like that would just pirate anything else. Apple hasn't answered my email yet, but I'm not hopeful they'll do anything.

Azriell

DennisK4 said:
How is Carcasonne as a single-player game?

Any fun at all?
I play all of my board games by myself. I don't have any friends who possess both an idevice and an interest in board games. Some of them I burn out on pretty quickly (Monopoly, Life, Scrabble) because of this (though I loved 1p Monopoly on SNES), but with others I am unphased. Perhaps it's because I've never known the joy of playing with others, but I think both Carc and Catan are a lot of fun as 1p games. I don't regret my purchases at all and both games still played fairly regularly.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
AI in Carc is actually pretty fun (different personalities that are well expressed in the gamplay), and it has a new SP mode which is basically a totally different and actually decent puzzle game.

soldat7

Cat in the Hat said:
It was solely made to play with other people.
Carcassonne has a fun solitaire mode and multiple levels of AI to mix and match. It's a very solid single-player game.

Edit: As is usual with things pertaining to Carcassonne, beaten by AstroLad.

Zeth

Just had to drop in and show some love for Dodonpachi. Never played it until this weekend, when I bought it after loving the hell out of Deathsmiles. It is freakin amazing. Well worth every last penny.

Any news on an Ascension update?

ParityBit

Hi all,

Any way to see how much room each app takes on my iPad? Either on the iPad or on iTunes when I plag in? I am running out of room! Thanks.

Jasoco

Banned
ParityBit said:
Hi all,

Any way to see how much room each app takes on my iPad? Either on the iPad or on iTunes when I plag in? I am running out of room! Thanks.
iTunes shows you the size of each app in the Apps tab of your iDevice page.

Gaspode_T

AstroLad said:
hey guys--
i'm about to be away from home for a few days and looking for a few good games.

you know what i like :p. i think i've got all the stuff i want from up to three months ago, but haven't picked up anything recently other than death rally and ascension

favish genres
-turn-based strategy esp non-animu
-board games (carc, ascension)
-wacky games esp animu

dislike
-console-like stuff, esp 3d

also looking for a scrabble-like that you can play with 3-4 locally. scrabble?

Z The Game has a kitschy late 90s vibe to it (port of an old PC game), with CGI kind of like a low budget robot filled version of Red Dwarf. If you like the idea of clicking on little robot dudes and telling them to go blow stuff up with grenades, it's a pretty cool RTS...supports Gamecenter too

Flunkie

Banned
AstroLad said:
hey guys--
i'm about to be away from home for a few days and looking for a few good games.

you know what i like :p. i think i've got all the stuff i want from up to three months ago, but haven't picked up anything recently other than death rally and ascension

favish genres
-turn-based strategy esp non-animu
-board games (carc, ascension)
-wacky games esp animu

dislike
-console-like stuff, esp 3d

also looking for a scrabble-like that you can play with 3-4 locally. scrabble?
You should pick up Kard Combat. Tower Mode (and Wired mag on iPad) has gotten me through this vacation. Surprise hit for me.

Pirates! might be up your alley.. maybe. I haven't picked it up yet (or any recent releases, at that) because I don't have any stupid wifi access.

Hey guys, I have only ever posted in this thread expressing my love for Game Dev Story, but other than that, I usually find games on my own. That being said though, I need your guys help. I just got an iPad 2, and am looking for good iPad specific game experiences. I already own an iPhone with the big titles like GDS, Hot Springs, Angry Birds, Cut The Rope, Diner Dash, Civ Rev, Tiny Wings, Madden, Words W/ Friends, Hanging W/ Friends, and some more, but those are off the top of my head. I have heard that Dead Space, and Infinity Blade are both great iPad experiences, anything else you guys got for me?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Flunkie said:
You should pick up Kard Combat. Tower Mode (and Wired mag on iPad) has gotten me through this vacation. Surprise hit for me.

Pirates! might be up your alley.. maybe. I haven't picked it up yet (or any recent releases, at that) because I don't have any stupid wifi access.
Thanks guys . . . yeah I would pick up Pirates! too but for the fact I'm on my teensy old-school 3G iTouch.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Patriotsbball5460 said:
Hey guys, I have only ever posted in this thread expressing my love for Game Dev Story, but other than that, I usually find games on my own. That being said though, I need your guys help. I just got an iPad 2, and am looking for good iPad specific game experiences. I already own an iPhone with the big titles like GDS, Hot Springs, Angry Birds, Cut The Rope, Diner Dash, Civ Rev, Tiny Wings, Madden, Words W/ Friends, Hanging W/ Friends, and some more, but those are off the top of my head. I have heard that Dead Space, and Infinity Blade are both great iPad experiences, anything else you guys got for me?

Dead Space is not good. If you can get it cheap go for it I guess, it's only your time you'll be wasting not your money.

If I had an iPad I'd be interested in the Telltale adventure games like Monkey Island and Back to the Future, World of Goo, Sword and Sworcery, Avadon, Pirates!, Hunters HD. And then I'd be all about the music software, but that's just me.

New games like Reckless Getaway and that Trials clone Xtreme Wheels are supposed to be good iPad games. Reckless Getaway especially is a brilliant game, I bet it's great on the iPad.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I've been playing a lot of Ascension, Kard Combat, and Dungeon Solitaire lately. I've tried the Orions 2 demo and it's cool and all but very similar to Kard Combat so I'm in no rush to grab it currently.

If you are into card games "iDixit" is free until the 31st (my birthday and 10th wedding anniversary!). Seems kinda neat though I've only played the tutorial. It's sort of a guessing game where one player describes their card in a purposefully vague way and you have to select from a pool of similarly themed cards which one you think they were referring to. At least, I'm pretty sure that's the gist of it.

Planning on picking something up soon, and am trying to decide between "Battle of Gundabad" or "Necronomicon Horror". Both of these games are apparently ripoffs of popular games not officially available on iOS.

Gundabad is apparently basically a complete ripoff of "Dominion", which I've heard nothing but praise for. I've started listening to some Boardgaming podcasts and many proclaim it as the best card game ever. I'm not crazy about playing something that might be a bit too inspired, shall we say, but god knows I've sent Gameloft plenty of money in the past so my morals obviously aren't THAT high. This game looks from the pics like a somewhat generic fantasy card game, but maybe the gameplay is just that damned good?

Necronomicon Horror is apparently a pretty shoddy ripoff of "Arkham Horror", which is a game I'm really interested in buying but want to get better acquainted with to see if it is worth it in my situation (small town, no gaming store, no friends who play, would have to harangue wife and kids into playing). I've read a lot of negativity about NH, but anything Lovecraft is pretty much crack for me.

Possibly might get both, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on either. I have a good idea that Gundabad is pretty good from reviews, but I'm super interested to see if anyone has tried Necronomicon Horror since I've seen no big sites review it and it's just gotten shit on in App store reviews but those people are insane so I don't know if their opinions are worth counting.

SteveWD40

NH isn't bad right now (no retina though) but the developer posts on Toucharcade and states a huge update is coming soon in which he changes the whole engine to run much smoother.

Might be worth checking the thread on that forum and seeing what the latest it, I liked it in it's current form but it was a little glitchy and needed some form of tutorial.

Gaspode_T

I downloaded Dungeon Solitaire for the second time after some comments in this thread but for the second time I couldn't figure out what the heck is going on...

For one thing, suddenly some big spider comes with like 3000 times the power of any of my creatures and kills all of them in one hit, then the castle blows up Medieval Madness style and game over within 5 minutes, it's ok for a game to be hard but I at least want to know what the heck is going on. I deleted Shadow Era for a similar reason. Don't have patience to sit there and learn an iOS game...that's what my console games are there for.

Aaron

Horseticuffs said:
Necronomicon Horror is apparently a pretty shoddy ripoff of "Arkham Horror", which is a game I'm really interested in buying but want to get better acquainted with to see if it is worth it in my situation (small town, no gaming store, no friends who play, would have to harangue wife and kids into playing). I've read a lot of negativity about NH, but anything Lovecraft is pretty much crack for me.
NH has almost nothing in common with Arkham Horror aside from Lovecraft. It's a solitaire style game with a Clue-like mini-game. It's pretty buggy in its current state. That's the only real problem with it.

Rlan

248404_10150321325104365_167831379364_9443652_4924812_n.jpg

We've finally submitted the iPhone version of FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: The War of the Lions! And we'd like to tell you the release date as soon as we get the green light.

CoG

Kard Combat is very good. No where as deep as M:TG but well worth the $3. They need more cards.

M:TG on the iPad would rake in a fortune. Make it happen WoTC!

yurinka

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Yeah, Mega Man was another one I was thinking about, which could be Legends of just a rip off of the classic formula.

I think it would work pretty well. I'm kind of surprised they haven't done a Metrovania clone yet.
They already did a Castlevania clone for Java phones, when they were cool and were more focused in porting Ubisoft games than in ripping off games.

This game was also ported to DSiiware:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ0Bx8w5PKQ&feature=player_embedded

carroto

Rlan said:
20090203_001-300x225.jpg

At MINIMUM it will be $15.99, like Final Fantasy III.

And imo a price of 2.99 is way to cheap for a game of such length and quality. I wonder though if it will be able to replace PvZ as my favorite game to play in the subway.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I fear that, despite the length of time it took to complete, FFT is going to be a mess of a game. I doubt they will support the retina display, the framerate will likely be piss poor, and I'd imagine even the icon will be low resolution. I realize the original was low resolution, but they could at least update the menus and fonts while rendering the 3D bits in high resolution. I'd also prefer if they left the sprites unfiltered in their pixelated glory.

carroto

dark10x said:
I fear that, despite the length of time it took to complete, FFT is going to be a mess of a game. I doubt they will support the retina display, the framerate will likely be piss poor, and I'd imagine even the icon will be low resolution. I realize the original was low resolution, but they could at least update the menus and fonts while rendering the 3D bits in high resolution. I'd also prefer if they left the sprites unfiltered in their pixelated glory.

They are redoing some of the graphics for the iPad version. An example from their Facebook page:

224723_10150240554609365_167831379364_8771707_1654536_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom