• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT| of Listening to Classics (Not f&$@ing U-God)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

and just as things started to get too positive post-battle raps, siddx returns the negativity to the universe.

we're out of balance without you, dude

see5harp

I really doubt that you can get 7 grams in a single swisher. Like what the fuck kinda black voodoo magic blunt rollers do they have for weed carriers?

Bishman

siddx said:
None of those are classics you crazy old summabitch
Jay Z is so garbage that hippie ass white people try to recycle him. Fuck Jay Z, that motherfucker hasn't make a good album ever. Just a bunch of uninspired bullshit where he makes half assed lyrics up about a life he never lived. All this talk about him copying BIG by never writing down lyrics, maybe if his stupid ass wrote down a few lines instead of trying to emulate biggie, he wouldn't sound like he's recycling the same fucking verse for the millionth time.

Everywhere I go it's the same bar//wishing that the jukebox had some gangstarr
Lol Jay-Z hater.

YoungHav

Banned
soul creator said:
Wasn't that actually the I Am... bootleg? I vaguely remember having those leaked tracks before I Am... came out. I still like the album, but the bootleg version was far superior (and as you said, a lot of them eventually came out on Lost Tapes)

From http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2008/09/i-am-nastradamus-revisited

dat original tracklist

also, that Travis Barker is quietly one of my favorite hip-hop releases this year
Seriously if that dropped as intended that would be a sick 3 albums in a row from Nas. Stillmatic would have still happened as Jay would have effed Carmen anyway.

Two Nas tracks I really want to get my hands on are the original version of Hate Me Now (it had real instruments, not the electronic sound on the album) and some Nas freestyle I only heard once in the car in '99 and never again. I still remember the beat and it pisses me off I never heard it again.

kamspy

siddx said:
Jay Z is so garbage that hippie ass white people try to recycle him. Fuck Jay Z, that motherfucker hasn't make a good album ever. Just a bunch of uninspired bullshit where he makes half assed lyrics up about a life he never lived. All this talk about him copying BIG by never writing down lyrics, maybe if his stupid ass wrote down a few lines instead of trying to emulate biggie, he wouldn't sound like he's recycling the same fucking verse for the millionth time.

Those all beat the shit out of that hippie grunge rap Atmosphere bullshit.

From the writers of Guiding Light and As the World Turns, Rhymsayers Records and Feminine Products Present: Atmosphere - We Cry Daily

see5harp said:
I really doubt that you can get 7 grams in a single swisher.

Are we talking a full sized Swisher Perfecto? No problem. I can get 3 in a rillo.

IrishNinja

spindashing said:

love this one - stillmatic, no? i think this is the one Hov got taken off hot 97 or some shit IIRC.

since illmatic it was written, i am, nastradamus/that's the answer to the puzzle i gave ya, now here's a promise

love that track. i don't give a fuck about relevancy, but knowing dude struggles sucks. listen to that flow, dude should bank like ross.

kamspy said:
When he's not out Ghosting Ghost, Action Bronson channels Illmatic era Nas.

I really think this dude is the best spittin from NY right now. I'll be happy to hear any opposing views. I really can't think of anyone from NY who's doing this level rapping right now. Not even close.

Damn that's an interesting discussion: who's the best in NY right now...

Roc Marciano came to mind first. Both him and Action kind of rap the same way on nearly every track, but they're dope as hell. I'd give Action the nod, although Marcberg>Dr. Lector.

Joel Ortiz can't be overlooked either.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Tokubetsu said:
I did. Apparently its a reference track for Bridget Kelly. Whoever the fuck that is.

bNLrS.jpg

daaaaaam

http://youtu.be/V0jE7mb0mkM

zychi

Banned
Apparently all the jayz fans here never heard the song that shows all of the verses hes "stolen" for people like slick rick, biggie etc. Word for word. Thats not talent thats laziness. Jay makes some good songs but hes not who i want representing the best of rap. Nas has 1 maybe two good albums. Ill an still. Everything else is just mediocre get me on the radio crap

PBY

Banned
IrishNinja said:
romeAOTG isn't built overnight. BELIEVE.

ps whoah, that bronson freestyle was the first thing i heard from dude that i liked.
I know right, Kanye took his time with MBDTF

Tokubetsu

zychi said:
Apparently all the jayz fans here never heard the song that shows all of the verses hes "stolen" for people like slick rick, biggie etc. Word for word. Thats not talent thats laziness. Jay makes some good songs but hes not who i want representing the best of rap. Nas has 1 maybe two good albums. Ill an still. Everything else is just mediocre get me on the radio crap

It Was Written is great. No way you can lump Stillmatic in his god tier list without throwing in It Was Written as well.

TheOddOne

siddx said:

Everywhere I go it's the same bar//wishing that the jukebox had some gangstarr
470_39825.gif

I'm gonna say it Jay-Z > Biggie. Deal with it.

see5harp

kamspy said:
Are we talking a full sized Swisher Perfecto? No problem. I can get 3 in a rillo.

I was gonna say yea...I'd believe 3 or 3.5...but either Waka or Gucci said 7 in a swisher. I don't know anyone who uses anything but the standard sized cigarillo.

I could swear that video has been out for weeks, but shit is dumb. Seems like a commercial for cologne.

kamspy

see5harp said:
I was gonna say yea...I'd believe 3 or 3.5...but either Waka or Gucci said 7 in a swisher. I don't know anyone who uses anything but the standard sized cigarillo.

In my younger days when the trees weren't as good we'd use Perfecto's from time to time. Hell we've stuffed half ozs into Philly Titans.

So basically, I watched the two best hip-hop documentaries of all time (all time!) last night:

Beats, Rhymes, and Life (Tribe!)
The People's Champion: Behind The Battle (Eli Porter!!)

As other reviews have mentioned, the Tribe doc is half "history of the music" and half "wtf happened with phife and q-tip?", but both sides were pretty fascinating. I love the irony that the time when they beefed the most with each other was during the recording of "The Love Movement". There's also a little bit of background into Phife's health problems, how they were fighting with each other like 5 minutes before going on stage at Rock The Bells 2008, and Ali Shaheed quietly stuck in the middle of all this. Oh, and I now finally know what Jarobi looks like.

Also, goddamn at the Lyrics To Go Sample. I knew it sampled the Minnie Ripperton song, but I never realized that's actually her voice in the background of the song. Also, the Seaman's Furniture scene is amazing.

And the Eli Porter documentary? Fucking hilarious. Watch that shit now. I don't even wanna spoil anything, lol.

btw, since I'm still hype off the movie, I'll just throw out the idea of having Native Tongue Tuesdays:

A Tribe Called Quest
De La Soul
Jungle Brothers

and if you want to include others mentioned in the movie:
Black Sheep
Queen Latifah
Brand Nubian
Monie Love
Chi-Ali
Beatnuts
Leaders of the New School

(wiki has some other folks mentioned too)

If anything, I just want an excuse to finally listen to Jungle Brothers, and the later De La Soul AOI albums, lol

TheOddOne

soul creator said:
btw, since I'm still hype off the movie, I'll just throw out the idea of having Native Tongue Tuesdays:

A Tribe Called Quest
De La Soul
Jungle Brothers

and if you want to include others mentioned in the movie:
Black Sheep
Queen Latifah
Brand Nubian
Monie Love
Chi-Ali
Beatnuts
Leaders of the New School

(wiki has some other folks mentioned too)

If anything, I just want an excuse to finally listen to Jungle Brothers, and the later De La Soul AOI albums, lol
I support this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom