• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT| of Listening to Classics (Not f&$@ing U-God)

Status
Not open for further replies.
soul creator said:
btw, since I'm still hype off the movie, I'll just throw out the idea of having Native Tongue Tuesdays:

A Tribe Called Quest
De La Soul
Jungle Brothers

and if you want to include others mentioned in the movie:
Black Sheep
Queen Latifah
Brand Nubian
Monie Love
Chi-Ali
Beatnuts
Leaders of the New School

(wiki has some other folks mentioned too)

If anything, I just want an excuse to finally listen to Jungle Brothers, and the later De La Soul AOI albums, lol

Hell yes, Wu Mondays have been great thus far.

soul creator said:
btw, since I'm still hype off the movie, I'll just throw out the idea of having Native Tongue Tuesdays:

A Tribe Called Quest
De La Soul
Jungle Brothers

and if you want to include others mentioned in the movie:
Black Sheep
Queen Latifah
Brand Nubian
Monie Love
Chi-Ali
Beatnuts
Leaders of the New School

(wiki has some other folks mentioned too)

If anything, I just want an excuse to finally listen to Jungle Brothers, and the later De La Soul AOI albums, lol
spindashing likes this post.

IrishNinja

soul creator said:

fuck yes, i'm jelly this wasn't my idea. listening to 3 feet high & rising as we speak. do we go up to what wiki considered later native tongue - blackstar/com/etc? if not, there's still tons of quality in what you just named.

ps thanks for that link, just realized the Tribe film is showing here at miami beach next week!

Esch

Banned
not too bad:

wuvsditccover.png

PBY

Banned
Any sneaker fans on here? Just got back from Sneaker Con, kinda cool... I'm not a huge fan, but I appreciate a cool sneaker, just can't afford many haha

Recon

Banned
peterb0y said:
Any sneaker fans on here? Just got back from Sneaker Con, kinda cool... I'm not a huge fan, but I appreciate a cool sneaker, just can't afford many haha

Casual sneaker fan, pretty much only wear Dunks, Forces and some J's.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Sneakers have gotten so ugly in recent years. Too many garish colors and weird designs. All the cool simplicity of older sneakers have been replaced by shoes that look like they belong on a clown's feet.

soul creator said:
So basically, I watched the two best hip-hop documentaries of all time (all time!) last night:

The People's Champion: Behind The Battle (Eli Porter!!)

And the Eli Porter documentary? Fucking hilarious. Watch that shit now. I don't even wanna spoil anything, lol.

I love you!

soul creator said:

A Tribe Called Quest
De La Soul
Jungle Brothers
et al
Fuck, marry me!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
peterb0y said:

You in Houston? They are having the Sneaker Summit this weekend.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
siddx said:
Sneakers have gotten so ugly in recent years. Too many garish colors and weird designs. All the cool simplicity of older sneakers have been replaced by shoes that look like they belong on a clown's feet.

Just rock air force ones or Stan smiths and problem solved

dskillzhtown

peterb0y said:

I picked up some of these yesterday -

Jordan_Cmft_Viz_Air_13_441367_101.jpg

jordan-cmft-viz-air-13-summer-2011-lineup-3.jpg

dskillzhtown

peterb0y said:
Damn those are nice... I ended up not getting anything, almost pulled the trigger on some lebrons tho

Those are 115 at Footlocker, 99 at The Finish Line. They remind me of the Space Jam Jordans that I never got.

DominoKid

peterb0y said:

Yeah but the sneaker community kinda irks me. Too much emphasis on hype instead of shoes that actually look good.

Slizz

dskillzhtown said:
Those are 115 at Footlocker, 99 at The Finish Line. They remind me of the Space Jam Jordans that I never got.

air-jordan-11-concord-2011-retro-2.jpg

air-jordan-11-concord-2011-retro-3.jpg

These come out just before X-mas. I want them, gonna be a bitch to try and get. peterb0y how was that? It was at UM I was gonna go but it totally slipped my mind.

PBY

Banned
Seeing all those shoe pics makes me wish I had money :/

And slizz, it was pretty cool, got that free tee which was nice. It was pretty packed, there were a decent amount of vendors/people selling and trading shoes.

As far as pickups, I just got this tee:
YEEZY-PINK-DON.jpg

WTT hype at 11

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
ugh, god I wish I had the cash for that right now. This isn't just for the Con or anything right? I'm totally down to pick one up in a week.

EschatonDX said:
How does GAF-HOP feel about:

4341-champion-sound.jpg

Very overrated imo. Some nice production but Madlib just isn't a good rapper, and neither was Dilla for the most part.

One of the problem I have with a lot of the Stones Throw/Dilla stuff is that mediocre rappers jump on great production, and the fanbase seems far more interested in instrumentals than rap; on one hand you can't blame beat heads for not wanting to hear weak rhymers, on the other hand why not give these tracks to people who can actually rap...

Throavium

PhoenixDark said:
Very overrated imo. Some nice production but Madlib just isn't a good rapper, and neither was Dilla for the most part.

One of the problem I have with a lot of the Stones Throw/Dilla stuff is that mediocre rappers jump on great production, and the fanbase seems far more interested in instrumentals than rap; on one hand you can't blame beat heads for not wanting to hear weak rhymers, on the other hand why not give these tracks to people who can actually rap...
They are both guilty of this, making albums with good beats but having mediocre to bad guest appearances. I'm getting tired of hearing Guilty Simpson on good beats when they could be rapped on by someone else, for example.

HiResDes

RPS37 said:
Late pass.

Finally listening to this
lhutv.jpg

on Spotify today. There are some good songs on here.
Kudos, it's somewhat challenging to listen to as first, but I definitely think it's highly rewarding as well.

dskillzhtown

Slizz said:
air-jordan-11-concord-2011-retro-2.jpg

air-jordan-11-concord-2011-retro-3.jpg

These come out just before X-mas. I want them, gonna be a bitch to try and get. peterb0y how was that? It was at UM I was gonna go but it totally slipped my mind.

MINE!!! Gotta remember to get tehm.

Throavium said:
They are both guilty of this, making albums with good beats but having mediocre to bad guest appearances. I'm getting tired of hearing Guilty Simpson on good beats when they could be rapped on by someone else, for example.

I remember being quite excited about Madlib's album with Guilty. It's pretty bad, with only a couple decent songs. His rhymes are slow and repetitive, and even the beats weren't too impressive.

Speaking of which, it seems like Madlib has pretty much mined himself to death. Most of the stuff I've heard from him recently is just boring loops. Dude makes way too many beats.

Throavium

PhoenixDark said:
I remember being quite excited about Madlib's album with Guilty. It's pretty bad, with only a couple decent songs. His rhymes are slow and repetitive, and even the beats weren't too impressive.

Speaking of which, it seems like Madlib has pretty much mined himself to death. Most of the stuff I've heard from him recently is just boring loops. Dude makes way too many beats.
I found this statement pretty hilarious because I agree with you, he's made a lot of beats, even when you go back to the Lootpack days. Save your best beats for DOOM, Madlib.

siddx

enzo_gt said:
Game ft. Snoop Dogg & Dr. Dre - Drug Test

Off of the R.E.D. Album.

Haven't listened yet cause I'm watching Evo but I hope it's good and/or has a Dre beat.

Beat is fucking ridiculous, but the voices are..odd. Doesn't sound like Dre at all and Game sounds odd as well, sounds incomplete. But dat beat. Still hyped for RED album, I'm willing to believe.

PBY

Banned
siddx said:
Beat is fucking ridiculous, but the voices are..odd. Doesn't sound like Dre at all and Game sounds odd as well, sounds incomplete. But dat beat. Still hyped for RED album, I'm willing to believe.
Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking this... track is still hype as hell

overcast

I can appreciate sneakers, but for the past 3 years I have only rocked classic Hi Top chucks. Sometimes changing the color up, but mostly black. No money to get anything else, and I love how a pair of jeans and converse always works.

siddx

peterb0y said:
Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking this... track is still hype as hell

More I listen to it, the more I want to get my drunk ass out to a club and here it banging over some big speakers

Recon

Banned
I hate myself for liking the new Drake. I feel like such a hypocrite for hating on Gucci and Flocka yet liking a Drake song....

CRS

ReconYoda said:
I hate myself for liking the new Drake. I feel like such a hypocrite for hating on Gucci and Flocka yet liking a Drake song....
You like what you like. Period. There should be no shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom