• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT| of Listening to Classics (Not f&$@ing U-God)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

Pac rapped aboujt his life without naming names. DMX did it pretty well too. Em took it up a notch by going full tabloid with names. Then to ice the cake he did all his singles over circus beats. There are street walkers with more artistic dignity.

DX I don't know what you're on about. I'm good with a handful of crusty Redman CDs, some UGK and a bag of weed. Just because I post Flocka & Tha Gucc here doesn't mean they're anywhere near my favorite rappers. Gimmie some 40 Fonzarelli with some Beatnuts and a side oeder of Curren$y.

Recon

Banned
Fixed2BeBroken said:
the dude talked about his life. what? do you want him to rap about money and bitches? flossin on 22s? he just kept it funky and spoke about what was going on with him. how is this any different from John Leguizamo's stand up which is similar in respects when basing his art on his family and life?

at the end of the day....art is subjective.

Exactly, he wasn't pretending to be anything he wasn't. Kampsy seems to be hating on Eminem just being honest and putting his life out there.

kamspy

He put his moms and daughters life out there. No need to name names unless you're just doing it for the sake of it.

He did not invent introspective hip hop, despite what they might have taught you.

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:
Pac rapped aboujt his life without naming names. DMX did it pretty well too. Em took it up a notch by going full tabloid with names. Then to ice the cake he did all his singles over circus beats. There are street walkers with more artistic dignity.

DX I don't know what you're on about. I'm good with a handful of crusty Redman CDs, some UGK and a bag of weed. Just because I post Flocka & Tha Gucc here doesn't mean they're anywhere near my favorite rappers. Gimmie some 40 Fonzarelli with some Beatnuts and a side oeder of Curren$y.

Em barely talked about anything personal about the people he loved other than he loved them. Every time someone interviews em and asks about his daughter, he shuts that question down. He mentions her name, but anyone could of found that out anyways. He is not exactly exposing personal secrets of his daughter. But, EM has always been an open book when he raps, that was and is his thing.

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:
He put his moms and daughters life out there. No need to name names unless you're just doing it for the sake of it.

He did not invent introspective hip hop, despite what they might have taught you.

Wow, such hatred. It was a part of his art. Just because you disagree with it doesn't make it wrong.

Edit: Plus, your subtle diss at me is kinda pathetic.

Esch

Banned
kamspy said:
ok, I feel that. I'll pack the milk jug full of strawberry kush and rock some Ridin' Dirty for ya.

kamspy

To be fair to yoda, the line was basically directed at anyone who puts Em on god tier.

To say "Kim is so deep, no other rapper could do that". Well, I beg to differ. I posted Mystikal's Murderer song a couple times recently and I'd love to see another rapper try and cover it. Or Get At Me Dog. Or Brooklyn Zoo. Or Crossroads. But for some reason Mystikal, DMX and ODB don't get that golden tier love. /PimpC shrug

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:
To be fair to yoda, the line was basically directed at anyone who puts Em on god tier.

To say "Kim is so deep, no other rapper could do that". Well, I beg to differ. I posted Mystikal's Murderer song a couple times recently and I'd love to see another rapper try and cover it. Or Get At Me Dog. Or Brooklyn Zoo. Or Crossroads. But for some reason Mystikal, DMX and ODB don't get that golden tier love. /PimpC shrug

I agree that other rappers can do similar things, but Em is really a better rapper than any of the ones you just posted, thats why he gets elevated. Its funny, the reason you hate on him(talking about loves ones by name) is exactly why i love the guy.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Because Mystikal was a garbage rapper with an a flow that made it hard to realize he couldn't actually write anything decent. DMX is a crackhead who had one good album and a bunch of recycled bullshit in him. And ODB is only one step up from Flava flav and fucking Bizarre.

HiResDes

Click Artwork For Download Links)

*(From Left To Right, now in Ranking Order)*

1. Rome Cee ~ The Extra Mile - Rome Cee is such a well-rounded MC, solid in all facets, and the production is a long orchestral groove...Shit sounds like Apollo Creed diss tracks over Rocky themes. Constantly ascending in tone and pace, mimicking the climbing of stairs, clad in boxing gloves.
2. Warm Brew ~ Warm Brew EP - Almost sounds like a lost Pharcyde album...What more do I need to say, seriously.
3. Knowledge Medina ~ The Flow Documentary EP - Methodical, melodical, mythological dopeness. Calm and cultivated ill rhymes and organic flows spun over simple soulful beats.
4. Actual Proof ~ Still Hotter Than July - Actual Proof are one of the top five duos currently active in hip-hop right now. Both members flow effortlessly and consistently best any beat they're own. The only small annoyance I had with this mixtape is that it lacked the monumental themes of their previous effort "The Talented Tenth." Still Hotter Than July is more of a free for all assault, but as a result it just seems to lack direction.

5. Illecism ~ Bloodsport! - 5 Mics is the track of July series. Illecism is another hot spitta with crazy breath control and a mid-pitched slightly raspy voice that just elicits grime. The mixtape has a few slips here and there, but mostly remains on some gully boom-bap shit.
6. Nike Nando ~ TheCarryOut3 - Nike Nando is a hot spitta, the guy seriously needs to get more exposure. Now with that being said, while TheCarryOUt3 is great I can tell it won't quite have the staying power that the previous entry had. The mixtape is mostly highs, but there a few uninspired tracks with Nando lagging over tired, trite beats.
7. Erk Tha Jerk ~ Nerd's Eye 2 - Erk Tha Jerk gets a bad rap as a one-dimensional hyphy swag rapper, although the guy's albums are much more grounded in traditional hip-hop...Laced with a little weed rap/swag rap here and there, of course. Erk isn't the greatest rapper, not quite Chip Tha Ripper tier, but he works great over the production...Which basically steals the show.
8. Hassan Mackey & Apollo Brown ~ The Official Daily Bread Mixtape - An amazing compilation of warmup tracks for the amazing Daily Bread album that dropped a few weeks later. I personally didn't have about 2/3's of the tracks in my collection so this mixtape was fantastic to me. Although it features a little bit of filler I would have been inclined to rate this in the top three if I hadn't heard that many of the tracks are somewhat old. However, definitely check this out, as you might have slept like I had previously.

Here's June, posting because it seemed to be missing from the OP

PBY

Banned
^Thank you so much for this, was out of town most of this month so missed most of these. Good stuff so far.

siddx

Seems like a good time to repost this then. Especially since a lot of the tracks are from different mixtapes than Res listed and so gives us a little more variety.

siddx said:
If anyone wants it, I made a July Mixtape Mixtape. Although two of the tracks are older (april and may)

Click here to Download

Tracklist Artist - Song - Album
1. Kyle Lucas and Captain Midnite - Your Tragedy (The Sky Is Falling and I'm Fine)
2. Smoke DZA - Cloudkickin feat. Den 10 (Scumbino's Way)
3. Will Brennan - Get By (Road Not Taken)
4. Jesse Abraham - Spiderman on Vitamins (One Day)
5. Rugz D Bewler - Super Dope (Scumbino's Way)
6. Emilio Rojas - Champion Remix feat. Rittz, Laws, Laura Reed, and Voodoo (2011 Remixed vol1)
7. alpha.live - Put Love (Soul CineMa)
8. Soul Khan - Shot Glass Magnified (Remix) feat. Sene (2011 Remixed vol1)
9. Ced Hughes - All I Am (One Day We'll Wake Up)
10. Warm Brew - Willing to Ride feat. Sam Wilkes (Warm Brew EP)
11. Goines - FED Up (Something To Lose)
12. ProbCause - On My Own feat. JDM (Stir Fry EP)
13. Mean Doe Green - Blue Ribbon Rap feat. Raekwon, Planet Asia, and Nicatyne (Hard Hats and Hand Grenades)
14. Gameboi - Shut It Down (Freshman of the Year EP)
15. Actual Proof - Represent feat. Rapsody (Still Hotter Than July)
16. Black EL and Durkin - Sunday Drive (Remix) feat. El Prez and 6th Sense (2011 Remixed vol1)
17. Cutlass Reid - Vitamin C (One Day At a Time)

A track from the new Bathgate mixtape and Slaine/Statik Selector mixtape would have been here if I had heard them 10 minutes earlier.

kamspy

siddx said:
Because Mystikal was a garbage rapper with an a flow that made it hard to realize he couldn't actually write anything decent. DMX is a crackhead who had one good album and a bunch of recycled bullshit in him. And ODB is only one step up from Flava flav and fucking Bizarre.
Wow man. That just going too far on all accounts. You really need to check out Mind of Mystikal. I know a few of your old gangsta rap tastes. You need to peep it. It's before his days with No Limit and Neptunes.

PBY

Banned
siddx said:
Seems like a good time to repost this then. Especially since a lot of the tracks are from different mixtapes than Res listed and so gives us a little more variety.
Downloading, thanks for the repost

kamspy said:

I dont think anyone stated that he invented introspective hip hop...therefore you're really reaching right now

siddx

kamspy said:
Wow man. That just going too far on all accounts. You really need to check out Mind of Mystikal. I know a few of your old gangsta rap tastes. You need to peep it. It's before his days with No Limit and Neptunes.

You know if I'm going to go in on an artist, I'm gonna go hard or not at all

I owned Mind of Mystikal and enjoyed it, as well as Its dark and return to the 36

kamspy said:

I could see twista covering crossroads and probably doing it better.

There's a few cats who could cover brooklyn zoo.

Jay pharoah could do any DMX song.

no other rapper could make a song LIKE kim and pull it off the way EM did. And no one ever said that song was super deep. It's creative, but it definitely isn't "deep." It's the actual production value and polish the song had that made it so good.....how well made it was.

siddx

Also, I mentioned it, but I needs more words because it deserves a listen.
Slaine and Statik Selektah - State of Grace

If you like the coka nostra sound (angry white rappers) then you should DL this asap. Very solid album on all fronts. The track with Ill Bill and Action Bronson is dope as fuck. Hard to imagine he's gotta retail album coming in two weeks, this thing is retail worthy itself.

HiResDes

siddx said:
Also, I mentioned it, but I needs more words because it deserves a listen.
Slaine and Statik Selektah - State of Grace

If you like the coka nostra sound (angry white rappers) then you should DL this asap. Very solid album on all fronts. The track with Ill Bill and Action Bronson is dope as fuck. Hard to imagine he's gotta retail album coming in two weeks, this thing is retail worthy itself.
oh shit didn't that was out, loved the track with Action Bronson shit was near immaculate.

HiResDes

Fixed2BeBroken said:
I could see twista covering crossroads and probably doing it better.

There's a few cats who could cover brooklyn zoo.

Jay pharoah could do any DMX song.

no other rapper could make a song LIKE kim and pull it off the way EM did. And no one ever said that song was super deep. It's creative, but it definitely isn't "deep." It's the actual production value and polish the song had that made it so good.....how well made it was.
Change the name to Bekay...Yelawolf

Macca

I'm a huge Yela fan, but between this and Gangster of Love being the first tracks released off his album, I'm not sure I'm feeling it.

I mean damn, half the shit on Trunk Muzik is better than this and would make a better single. Anyone know if those two tracks were supposed to be the lead single, or just the first released track?

Recon

Banned
HiResDes said:
Change the name to Bekay...Yelawolf

Im assuming your talking about "Remember"? That was a good track, but Em's Kim was extremely personal. Like, you actually feel like your looking upon a murder happening in real time.

siddx

Gangster of Love got old for me fast. Especially once I threw in the system and realized it had no decent bass to it. Yela is bass, if we get an album full of catchy but non trunk rattling yela songs I will be pissed as fuck. Still have faith though.

HiResDes

ReconYoda said:
Im assuming your talking about "Remember"? That was a good track, but Em's Kim was extremely personal. Like, you actually feel like your looking upon a murder happening in real time.
I was just throwing out a southern name at random

iavi

siddx said:
Gangster of Love got old for me fast. Especially once I threw in the system and realized it had no decent bass to it. Yela is bass, if we get an album full of catchy but non trunk rattling yela songs I will be pissed as fuck. Still have faith though.
This new track is whip ready like a motherfucker. I'm not all that concerned.

Recon

Banned
HiResDes said:
I was stating that I could see Yelawolf doing a song like Kim...But I'd imagine he'd give it a southern flair.

Oh ok, maybe. I just havnt heard a track that gave me the goosebumps like Kim did. I just listened to it today for the first time in years, still shakes me.

that yela and lil jon track is weak as shit, yela is generally very hit or miss

since we are kinda on the topic of southern acts, I've been listeing to one of the most criminally slept on albums in the last decade Bubba Sparxxx - Deliverence, sad it didnt do numbers and he went from that to shit like Ms New Booty

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Fixed2BeBroken said:
seriously?

LOL. ok Dylan...

<edit> I think I did say "take your track and my track to be judged anywhere"

post it on any hip hop forum, take it to any neighborhood in america...whether suburban or hood.

I promise...I win.
Overall, it just seems like me going first was the only reason you came off as going in hard, because I gave you something to say. If you remove the flipped bars, it's just eh.

I'm done talking shit now, so call it peace after this. I wrote my verse in 5 minutes and recorded it while laying in bed. Given a week and my track to flip for ammo, you didn't do much. I say that mostly because you need to level up your cadence and flow a couple times. The quality of the beat overwhelms you. Plus you're kinda sloppy coming in and out of stanzas, like you try to fit too many syllables at the beginning of the next bar.

I'd appreciate it, if all I just said was first taken as constructive criticism. I said I know we here in GAF-Hop don't even critique each others styles, but we should. I see no reason not give each other things to think about.

p.s. - I definitely want to be in on the mythical magical GAF tape (for the umpteenth time)

K.Jack said:
Overall, it just seems like me going first was the only reason you came off as going in hard, because I gave you something to say. If you remove the flipped bars, it's just eh.

I'm done talking shit now, so call it peace after this. I wrote my verse in 5 minutes and recorded it while laying in bed. Given a week and my track to flip for ammo, you didn't do much. I say that mostly because you need to level up your cadence and flow a couple times. The quality of the beat overwhelms you. Plus you're kinda sloppy coming in and out of stanzas, like you try to fit too many syllables at the beginning of the next bar.

I'd appreciate it, if all I just said was first taken as constructive criticism. I said I know we here in GAF-Hop don't even critique each others styles, but we should. I see no reason not give each other things to think about.

p.s. - I definitely want to be in on the mythical magical GAF tape (for the umpteenth time)

lol, cool man. My constructive critique of your stuff.... your wack.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
dunno if anyone saw this or listened to it.
i thought it was pretty good.
CraftSingles-2DBz-500x500.png

CraftSingles-Back2-7.18-500x500.jpg

DOWNLOAD: Aleon Craft – Craft Singles EP

Kimosabae said:
No need to capitalize the word "period", homie.

damn dawg, shit! i need to go back to schoolz and re get my edumucation.

HiResDes said:
It's there, it's probably just too small to see for someone so big headed.

I got a big egooooooo, u mad?

seriously, I just find it funny that apparently I have a big ego, when I got some random dude trying to "teach me" about rhyming and claiming to be leagues better than me. I think you got the roles reversed.

Recon

Banned
This thread delivers. Im gonna say i enjoyed both diss tracks for different reasons. But I'm am laughing my ass off at this thread.

overcast

Caught up on the thread.

DAMMNNNNN Fixed2Bebroken killed that track. Good job man.

Finally the mixtape's of the month are posted. Thanks for constantly doing these Des.

I've never listened to Trunk Muzik. Lol.
(Shiettt more beef? This thread is too fun).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom