• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo announces 3DS Control Expansion Pack, details in OP, STOP POSTING SCANS

duckroll

Apparently it doesn't look like that at all. Instead it is supposed to be some sort of cradle bay (like the charging bay), which the entire 3DS fits onto it. The guy posting the information says it is about 1cm to the left, and 2-3cm to the right. The slidepad itself is directly to the right of the face buttons, and there is a R2 shoulder button added.

Willy105 said:
Maybe it will be like the DS TV Tuner, the game itself would be the plastic shell, and it plugs in through the game port.

So... one game ever will use it.

duckroll said:
Apparently it doesn't look like that at all. Instead it is supposed to be some sort of cradle bay (like the charging bay), which the entire 3DS fits onto it. The guy posting the information says it is about 1cm to the left, and 2-3cm to the right. The slidepad itself is directly to the right of the face buttons, and there is a R2 shoulder button added.

And this is only going to be $10?

Anth0ny

Wario64 said:
h7NTw.jpg

The 3DS might take the GBA SP's place as the most uncomfortable handheld of all time if this mock up is even remotely true.

God damn son.

Satchel

Banned
To those doubting the validity of this 'rumour'...

Why? Do Nintendo not have a history of add ons for their consoles?

Do Nintendo not have a history of revisions to consoles?

I mean seriously. N64 Ram expansion, Wii Motion plus, DS/Lite/i/XL, new Wii with no Cube support, Gameboy/Colour/Pocket/Advance/SP/Micro and I'm sure there's plenty more I'm forgetting.

This is Nintendo's thing. I'm surprised you're so surprised.

3DS Lite is all but guaranteed regardless of what Nintendo says. The fact that the 3DS came so slowly out of the gate will only mean a Lite will come quicker than other consoles.

loosus

Banned
duckroll said:
It gets better and better!

As long as we have the option to use the touchpad as a pointer, and there aren't any games that require this add-on, then I'm fine with this.

Otherwise, seinfeld-im-out.gif

firelink

Banned
Beardz said:
What? Doing something like this is like saying "guys, the 3DS vanilla sucks, wait for the revision"

Yeah, like how everyone stopped buying the Wii to wait for Wii Motion Plus to be bundled into the controller and sold with the console.

Gravijah

duckroll said:

If it replaces my charging dock... I might be happy. I play my 3DS in the dock.

dwu8991

Banned
duckroll said:

Brilliant way of describing it! That was what I pictured.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
duckroll said:
Well thankfully it won't be as obtrusive with the 3DS re-design. ..

Ratrat

duckroll said:
so like...?

Ratrat said:
wouldn't be terrible if it was something like this:
ge6jh.jpg

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
duckroll said:
To the RIGHT of the face buttons?! Uhh, wow.

Anth0ny

duckroll said:

What in the blue hell is this?

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Should have had it to begin with Nintendo. For shame. I patiently await the redesign. Only if this is true of course.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ratrat said:
then I dont see why it couldnt be played properly with the same control scheme? Unless Tri ruined that for everyone.
I was speaking about the claw not working properly on 3DS, not the game, which as I said would work fine without the add-on with touch camera controls. That'd be better than PSP as you could control the camera with your right hand, even if not as conveniently as with a better placed analog stick.

loosus

Banned
Ydahs said:
Do us ambassadors get this delivered to us free of charge ;_;
We'll certainly get a video thanking us for buying the shitty 3DS! And maybe even a jab at 3DS Lite owners for having the shittier 3DS!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
duckroll said:
So it's more of a "shell" with an analog stick as opposed to something that clips on?

jackdoe

Branduil said:
A piece of plastic with a couple buttons doesn't cost that much money.
If that piece of plastic needs to communicate wirelessly with the handheld (or plug into the 3DS game slot which, though crazy, seems likely) probably wouldn't be that cheap.

firelink

Banned
dallow_bg said:
Controller =! System

It is a control mechanism being added to the system that may or may not even get developer support.

Even if this is true, who says Nintendo comes out and says "Hey! Look at our shiny new addon! If you want to make a 3DS game, you HAVE to support this!"

The two are more alike than you think.

What, did Nintendo see our E3 2010 mockups with a second slide pad and it took 400 days to sink in? Will an add-on to widen the bottom screen be next?

Clunker

Today I find out that DQX is a full-blown MMO and the second-analog rumors for 3DS are dangerously close to being true, both within hours of each other.

Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit taking amphetamines.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?!

Holy crap, I don't even know what to say. If Nintendo botches this, I feel like they'll have lost all their credibility in the hardware biz.

I'm guessing that this exists solely because Capcom requested it and that this will not become anything resembling a standard 3DS control scheme, but Nintendo has proved me wrong about a lot of things lately...

Beardz

firelink said:
Yeah, like how everyone stopped buying the Wii to wait for Wii Motion Plus to be bundled into the controller and sold with the console.

Not the same thing, not even close. Adding another slide pad is a huge change.

Ydahs

Wait... Remember those ideas of a 3DS also being used as a WiiU controller? I guess that idea is more realistic right now.

Cartman86

Banned
Circle pad to the right of face buttons? Where do you see that?

"3DS Circle-Pad add-on said to jut out 1cm at left, 2-3 cm at right, 2cm bottom and 2-3 cm thickness."

All i've seen is that explanation from @jonnyram. I'm trying to picture it. I don't understand what it's talking about.

duckroll

BocoDragon said:
So it's more of a "shell" with an analog stick as opposed to something that clips on?

I don't want to be more specific because I have not seen the magazine article in question, and I don't want to elaborate on it based on reading into what someone else is posting about it, or guessing, because that would be inaccurate.

Top Bottom