• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Clipper

Anabuhabkuss said:
So, I just bought this external harddrive that's not USB powered.

I would like to be able to use this for Wii ISOs as well as back up my computer files. I have IOS236 up. No 222. Formatted HDD to FAT32.

Ripped Twilight Princess. Trying to download covers but the thing just hangs when it gets to 3D Cover. Is this normal?
It's not normal. Did you put the /usb-loader directory on the hard drive or the SD card? Also, you are much better off using d2x at the moment rather than 222. If you followed my tutorial you would have put d2x into the IOS248 slot.

dani_dc

Clipper said:
As for the GC question, I don't know, sorry. You'd probably be best off asking in the Dolphin thread.

I manged to find a solution, thanks.

Wasn't easy, the two first solutions I found were GCMM and NuGaSa but neither seems to work well (or at all) with official cads.

Finally I was able to find Ctr-Gcs-DacoTaco-Edition which worked just fine (even though the method to recognize the official memory cards didn't seen to work every time). So I'll leave it here for anyone else that might be looking for a solution.

To use protected saves (such as PSO F-zero GX) with Dolphin you need to use the whole dump raw though, as those saves only work in the original card they were created and can't be transfered.

Mikey Jr.

Just a question. I want to install Xenoblade and pretty much mod my wii. I have my 8gb SDHC card, and an 8GB usb drive.

Now, for any of the steps, do I need an internet connection? I don't have wifi, and I really don't feel like going out and buying some stupid ethernet port adapter.

Clipper

Mikey Jr. said:
Just a question. I want to install Xenoblade and pretty much mod my wii. I have my 8gb SDHC card, and an 8GB usb drive.

Now, for any of the steps, do I need an internet connection? I don't have wifi, and I really don't feel like going out and buying some stupid ethernet port adapter.
It's harder to do it without WiFi, but totally possible and the GAF tutorial gives you both methods. You will need to upgrade your Wii to either firmware 4.2 or 4.3 with a game before you start, though, as they are the only ones that will be able to read your SDHC card.

Mikey Jr.

Clipper said:
It's harder to do it without WiFi, but totally possible and the GAF tutorial gives you both methods. You will need to upgrade your Wii to either firmware 4.2 or 4.3 with a game before you start, though, as they are the only ones that will be able to read your SDHC card.

I have 4.3u firmware.

Is the alternate method the renting of those games?

rpgb46

Starwolf_UK said:
Nintendo have advice.

So I take it you're not given a choice to enter the WEP/WPA keys into the connections you see (with padlocks) as thats would cause the issue? Normally when you connect to such a connection (with a padlock) it prompts you to enter the key in.

It does prompt for the code, I enter it and then the error pops up.

hokahey

Is there a simple way to add the homebrew channel back to my wii? I still have everything on the SD card, but the channel was deleted like you would any other channel...

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I'm lost. I was ripping my wii games to a usb hdd last year and for the most part..all of my games would boot and play off the hdd. I started to play more wii games lately and none of my games will boot from the hdd. I just gives me a black screen and for some games, the wiimote stuff comes up an just hangs. Is there some update that I'm not getting by updating the GX Loader through the program itself?

Clipper

Mikey Jr. said:
I have 4.3u firmware.

Is the alternate method the renting of those games?
No. The methods that need games all require an SD card and will not wok if you are using SDHC. LetterBomb will work on a 4.3 system using an SDHC card and BannerBomb will work on a 4.2 system using and SDHC card. The Wii wouldn't be able to read the SDHC in earlier firmwares, which would have required you to update with a game (as you can't update online), but it seems you've already done that with a recent enough one.

hokahey said:
Is there a simple way to add the homebrew channel back to my wii? I still have everything on the SD card, but the channel was deleted like you would any other channel...
It depends what else you had installed. The launch page of the tutorial lists all the things you can do based on what you still have. If you don't have anything left on the Wii (like a forwarder or BootMii), then you need to treat your Wii as a virgin Wii of whatever firmware you are at.

jobber said:
I'm lost. I was ripping my wii games to a usb hdd last year and for the most part..all of my games would boot and play off the hdd. I started to play more wii games lately and none of my games will boot from the hdd. I just gives me a black screen and for some games, the wiimote stuff comes up an just hangs. Is there some update that I'm not getting by updating the GX Loader through the program itself?
Most likely you or somebody else has updated the Wii and deleted your cIOSes. Follow the GAF tutorial this time as if the only thing you had instaled previously was the HBC to get everything working, although this will also get you starting to use Cfg (a better choice to GX). You will need to figure out how to launch GX from the 248 slot on your own if you want to stick with it.

Anabuhabkuss said:
I'm trying to run Smash Bros. Brawl off the HDD.

So, the tutorial says that to use hermes. I have that installed (v5.1). Which ios do i then choose in the brawl options?

i tried 222-mload and I get error "...is a stub"

tried 224-mload and get error: "opening RSBE01"

also, on the first screen of hermes' install, why am I picking 236 instead of 249?

The above set of instructions differs from that on here :(
If you are following the GAF tutorial, then you don't have anything installed in the 249 slot. That first choice is the IOS that i going to be used to install IOS222/223/224, not where it is installed to.

Clipper

For the new page (and new set of 10,000 posts):

For all your moral Wii homebrew needs.

Anabuhabkuss said:
Gotcha!

Well, I got this Wii off ebay and the homebrew channel was already installed. I'm sure the IOS' were already installed but I still followed/re-did steps...

Install IOS236
Install d2x
Install a USB Loader (v70)

... anyways. l may just reinstall these again.

Anyway, which IOS should be the one to boot Brawlif I've followed GAF tutorial? 224-mload?
You really shouldn't need Hermes' IOS for Brawl. d2x should be best. It doesn't need anything special.

Vagabundo

Clipper said:
It's not really that important any more. However, it would be great if you could test it out for me as I am unable to actually test it (it refuses to install for me as I'm already on v4). What is the wad that it is asking for and are you trying to do the online or offline install?

Sorry it took me so long to check it again.

I rand the dop me again and choose boot2 and it when through the hoopla about pressing A, blah blah. Then it asked for the WAD file and said update from SD, I pressed left and it said update from USB. There was no option i could see to update from the internet. I didn't have the wad so I just cancelled it.

Anyway, my wii is doing a systems update right now, I hope I've updated the HBC properly or it's back to disk swapping I go :(..

Tiktaalik

Are SNES9xGx save files (.srm) from the Wii incompatible with SNES9x OS X? I tried creating a brand new save on SNES9x, and then replacing that file with the Wii one with the same name and it doesn't work.

benjipwns

Banned
Is there something obviously stupid I'm missing, I tried to put CleanRip on my SD Card to rip GC games for Dolphin. When I try to run it from the HBC it just takes me to the HackMii installer, it doesn't have a logo or anything either.

Everything else works, just not CleanRip.

EDIT: NEVERMIND

When I stuck it back in my laptop there was nothing but the folder there, tried a few times and nothing could be copied over to the card, booted into Vista instead of Ubuntu and tried it. Worked.

Now that I think about it, I might have had this issue before with something else. Can't find my damn USB thing for SD cards so I just used my laptops slot. But Ubuntu apparently fucks it up.

Are there any "cheats" for games (thinking specifically of Mario Kart) then would let you replace the music with a custom soundtrack?

I just realized that a big thing that turns me off about Double Dash and MK:Wii is the terribly hyper music. When I play some of the retro cups, the N64 and DS levels are so much calmer and enjoyable. Either way, it would be awesome to have a custom soundtrack for racing games that don't offer that option.

Clipper

Anabuhabkuss said:
Ugh. This sucks.

I can boot neither Brawl or Xenoblade from my harddrive.
That's weird. It seems you are having problems with dual layered discs, then. d2x shouldn't have a problem with these, though. Do the games play fine from the discs?

Hi, I have a little problem : I soft-modded my wii with the letterbomb hack on my 4.3E Wii, but I can't launch my Super Mario Galaxy 2 game on disc, the console prompts me to update my wii, whereas it played it perfectly well before. And I still can play it on my soft-modded 4.1E Wii.

I used the letterbomb hack with waninkoko's cios, and I updated the cios with Pimp My Wii (I did not install any mIos).

Has anybody encountered this problem before ?

vitacola

Hey HomebrewGAF,

I have a little problem installing cIOS with the d2x installer.

Here is the story:
A few weeks ago I had the need to check out the Wii shop and had to update via a shop updater. After the succesful update I went to the HBC and it was upside down and mirrored. Back then I was a little lazy and said "fuck it". Today I went back to my Wii and fixed the HBC problem by reinstalling it. Now I tried to start my cfg USB loader to install my used copy of the US/CAN No More Heroes which has just arrived. But the loader stated following error "No cIOS 249 found ...". So I went to the GAF Homebrew Wiki and learned about the new d2x method. I followed the steps and updated all the stuff needed.

The actual problem:
I started the d2x installer and an error appeared: "Error getting slots map". It "freezes" at the loading screen ("Loading, please wait ..."). The Wiki, Google and a GAF search couldn't help me. So please HomebrewGAF help me :(

EDIT:
"Screenshot":
Y1pOYh.jpg

cacildo

16a1x7a.jpg

Team Wii64 said:
That’s right, high-resolution, custom texture paks are now supported on the Wii using Wii64! Of course, this is still Work-In-Progress, but we’re nearing completion.. Expect a release after this feature is complete. We feel like this is where homebrew emulation on the Wii can really shine and provide an enhancement that Nintendo is not able to offer with their official software.

That´s something i wanna see!

http://emulatemii.com/wordpress/?p=431

(is the Wii64 blog banned? If it is, then im done.)

Teppic

Just want to say thanks to Clipper and all involved with this guide. Got USB hard drive up and running in no time (well it took all day to rip all games)

Clipper

Tribes of Trusty said:
Hi, I have a little problem : I soft-modded my wii with the letterbomb hack on my 4.3E Wii, but I can't launch my Super Mario Galaxy 2 game on disc, the console prompts me to update my wii, whereas it played it perfectly well before. And I still can play it on my soft-modded 4.1E Wii.

I used the letterbomb hack with waninkoko's cios, and I updated the cios with Pimp My Wii (I did not install any mIos).

Has anybody encountered this problem before ?
How about you follow the GAF tutorial instead (click Mario at the top of the page). If you had done this, then your homebrew installation would not make the Wii think it needs to update and updating would not change any part of your homebrew installation, unlike almost every other tutorial and management app out there.

vitacola said:
Hey HomebrewGAF,

I have a little problem installing cIOS with the d2x installer.

Here is the story:
A few weeks ago I had the need to check out the Wii shop and had to update via a shop updater. After the succesful update I went to the HBC and it was upside down and mirrored. Back then I was a little lazy and said "fuck it". Today I went back to my Wii and fixed the HBC problem by reinstalling it. Now I tried to start my cfg USB loader to install my used copy of the US/CAN No More Heroes which has just arrived. But the loader stated following error "No cIOS 249 found ...". So I went to the GAF Homebrew Wiki and learned about the new d2x method. I followed the steps and updated all the stuff needed.

The actual problem:
I started the d2x installer and an error appeared: "Error getting slots map". It "freezes" at the loading screen ("Loading, please wait ..."). The Wiki, Google and a GAF search couldn't help me. So please HomebrewGAF help me :(
The HBC being upside-down means your Nintendo IOSes have somehow been tampered with. There is no useful reason for that to be done, but it was performed by a lot of old apps anyway and the practice is actually very dangerous.

As for trying to fix the problem, update your Wii. That will hopefully restore your IOSes to their proper versions. If that fails, you should try using Dop-Mii to update all of your IOSes in to 1-70 range to unpatched ones. If that fails too, you're sort of out of luck as something very stupid you have done in the past has really screwed up your Wii and I have no idea how to undo it.

Anabuhabkuss said:
Clipper, yes no problems running from actual disks.

Now, I'm told on another thread that the lens needs cleaning and isn't ripping 2 layered disks properly. It's a common issue and a cleaning kit needs to be ordered directly from Nintendo.
It seems very strange that your Wii can read the discs to play them but can't read the discs to rip them. Possible, but strange. As a last resort, try ripping them with the loader set to use IOS224 (after installing it according to the instructions if you hadn't earlier).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I had a fun error ripping NMH where it crapped out about 90% of the way through the rip, creating a dummy 0 byte file and preventing me from ripping it again. Connected to a pc, deleted the file, and presto, ripped pure and clean.

DarkPanda

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who worked on the wiki tutorials. I was able to get Xenoblade up and running with no problems. Great job!

Now a question: I installed the usb loader and can boot games off the disk from that, but how do I rip them to the usb hdd? I didn't see any instructions for that anywhere, and when I hit the "install" button with DKCR in the drive, nothing happened.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
For people having problems running Xenoblade/dual-layered discs via USB Loader:

I've noticed that USB Loader takes much more time to launch the installation procedure (after you press A to start the process). I was afraid it wouldn't let me copy Xenoblade even though I can run it just fine from the disc.
Just press A as you normally would and let the Wii run, do something else. I left mine for a few hours and when I got back the game was installed properly.

Clipper, it would probably be a good idea to mention that somewhere in the tutorial (I don't think I've read anything about it in it).

---------------------------------------------------------

About the playlog: the config.txt file in USB loader is correctly set to write_playlog = 1, but for whatever reason the playlog will still only mention "Homebrew Channel". At least it did when I played Minna no Rhythm Tengoku.I've tried going to the Wii Menu, then HBC, then USB Loader, but it still won't properly write the playlog.

Any suggestions? I must have forgotten one step or done something stupid, but I can't figure what.

vitacola

DarkPanda said:
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who worked on the wiki tutorials. I was able to get Xenoblade up and running with no problems. Great job!

Now a question: I installed the usb loader and can boot games off the disk from that, but how do I rip them to the usb hdd? I didn't see any instructions for that anywhere, and when I hit the "install" button with DKCR in the drive, nothing happened.
If you are using the cfg USB loader:

Homebrew Wiki said:
Using the Loader
  • Your drive MUST be connected in the USB slot closer to the outside edge of the Wii.
  • [...]
  • Push the + button to install a game from your Wii's Disc Drive to the USB drive.
  • [...]
http://gwht.wikidot.com/usb-loader

Now you should see a screen where it states how much space on your HDD is left and asks you, if you want to install the game. Press A and watch the magic happen. Worked for me since I installed the loader.

Clipper

DarkPanda said:

Are you using Cfg (aka Configurable USB Loader)? There is no install button in Cfg, unless you find it by navigating the menus. Push + as suggested above if you are using Cfg.

Kilrogg said:
For people having problems running Xenoblade/dual-layered discs via USB Loader:

I've noticed that USB Loader takes much more time to launch the installation procedure (after you press A to start the process). I was afraid it wouldn't let me copy Xenoblade even though I can run it just fine from the disc.
Just press A as you normally would and let the Wii run, do something else. I left mine for a few hours and when I got back the game was installed properly.

Clipper, it would probably be a good idea to mention that somewhere in the tutorial (I don't think I've read anything about it in it).
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean it just hangs for a while before providing any information? The only delay that I can think of that you would be seeing is if this is if the drive is formatted as FAT and requires a new free space calculation, but that would be before you see the confirmation button t start the install. It also takes a little longer to calculate the size of dual layer discs, but that delay shouldn't be very detectable.

About the playlog: the config.txt file in USB loader is correctly set to write_playlog = 1, but for whatever reason the playlog will still only mention "Homebrew Channel". At least it did when I played Minna no Rhythm Tengoku.I've tried going to the Wii Menu, then HBC, then USB Loader, but it still won't properly write the playlog.

Any suggestions? I must have forgotten one step or done something stupid, but I can't figure what.
Make sure that you haven't previously saved a game specific setting for the game that disables logging for the game (adding to config.txt only changes the default value for games without saved settings). Also, keep in mind that if you don't launch a game, the HBC will still be credited.

Clipper said:
How about you follow the GAF tutorial instead (click Mario at the top of the page). If you had done this, then your homebrew installation would not make the Wii think it needs to update and updating would not change any part of your homebrew installation, unlike almost every other tutorial and management app out there.
"If you had done this" -> So I suppose I can't do it anymore and I'm screwed, don't I ?

Oh and btw, I've read the GAF Tutorial, and it's exactly what I did (well except for the final part where I installed homebrew channel, pimp my wii and I updated my cios).

Clipper

Anabuhabkuss said:
EDIT:Well, I just tried it and nothing. All single layered games booted from 224-mload with no problems.

EDIT: remember, I got this off of ebay. Is it possible, that he's installed something already that is incompatible with dual layered? I will PM you what is on the SD card right now.

Thing is, Clipper, when I pick a dual layered game and it's menu comes up, no music plays for either whereas it does with the others. I tried loading with 224-mload and nothing. I couldn't even boot from disk!

took 224-mload ouit from meta, went back to 248. boots from disk but not before issuing "hd number does not match" error. I hit A to ":continue" and the game boots up. It is weird.

I think it is a harddrive issue tbh. I did a disk check and am reinstalling the dual layered games.
Could be drive based, yeah. Also, did you install IOS248 over whatever he had installed there before? If not, do that.

Unfortunately, knowledge of the stuff on the SD card isn't that useful without knowing how he used it. It is possible that he has messed with existing Nintendo IOSes, which do have a chance of screwing with dual layer games, so I recommend you perform an official update to the Wii too, which might fix that issue.

Tribes of Trusty said:
"If you had done this" -> So I suppose I can't do it anymore and I'm screwed, don't I ?

Oh and btw, I've read the GAF Tutorial, and it's exactly what I did (well except for the final part where I installed homebrew channel, pimp my wii and I updated my cios).
You're not screwed, you can still do it. You'll also need to accept the update from the disc too, but it's harmless to my installation methodology.

So you installed d2x (not IOS249) into the IOS248 slot and added a meta.xml file to the directory with boot.dol in order to use that IOS by default?

Speevy

Banned
Wait, they're offering texture packs for an emulator that barely runs anything at full speed. Talk about having your priorities wrong.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Clipper said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean it just hangs for a while before providing any information? The only delay that I can think of that you would be seeing is if this is if the drive is formatted as FAT and requires a new free space calculation, but that would be before you see the confirmation button t start the install. It also takes a little longer to calculate the size of dual layer discs, but that delay shouldn't be very detectable.

Sorry for the confusing phrasing. I mean that when USB Loader told me "press A to install, 1 to dump the BCA, B to cancel" and I pressed A, it stalled for a few minutes. Firs time I tried I thought it just couldn't install the game and ended up turning off the console (the loader wouldn't react to my button presses any more). Then I tried again and left the Wii on for a few hours, so I have no idea how long it took for the actual process to start. In other words, the delay was detectable and worrisome, but all went fine in the end. I just figured other people might have the same problem and just gave up when there's no need to.

By the way I have a launch 4.3 PAL Wii, FAT32 partition d2x installed, latest USB loader update.

Make sure that you haven't previously saved a game specific setting for the game that disables logging for the game (adding to config.txt only changes the default value for games without saved settings). Also, keep in mind that if you don't launch a game, the HBC will still be credited.

Thanks. About the bolded: I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean... ?

Clipper

Kilrogg said:
Sorry for the confusing phrasing. I mean that when USB Loader told me "press A to install, 1 to dump the BCA, B to cancel" and I pressed A, it stalled for a few minutes. Firs time I tried I thought it just couldn't install the game and ended up turning off the console (the loader wouldn't react to my button presses any more). Then I tried again and left the Wii on for a few hours, so I have no idea how long it took for the actual process to start. In other words, the delay was detectable and worrisome, but all went fine in the end. I just figured other people might have the same problem and just gave up when there's no need to.

By the way I have a launch 4.3 PAL Wii, FAT32 partition d2x installed, latest USB loader update.

Thanks. About the bolded: I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean... ?
That pause is unusual, unless your drive is both big and extremely fragmented. I've never really heard of that happening, so I'm not sure what's up. Oh well, at least it worked!

Tribes of Trusty said:
So I'll just update my wii with my SMG2 disc and then redo the letterbomb exploit and following really closely what the tutorial says.
You don't need to redo LetterBomb as your HBC will still be fine. Just do everything after the installation of the HBC.

Anabuhabkuss said:
Fixed it!

I did a disk check on the USB harddrive, deleted all old USB loader folders, re-installed them, now works like a charm. Used to show that rip storage was almost 9 GBs for dual layered. now at 6.96ish. boots and runs like a charm.

xo Clipper.
Ah, disk check. I have to remember to remind people of that more often. It used to be a staple response, but is rarely needed any more. I'm glad to see it's finally working 100% for you.

DarkPanda

vitacola said:
If you are using the cfg USB loader:

Using the Loader

Your drive MUST be connected in the USB slot closer to the outside edge of the Wii.
[...]
Push the + button to install a game from your Wii's Disc Drive to the USB drive.
[...]

http://gwht.wikidot.com/usb-loader

Now you should see a screen where it states how much space on your HDD is left and asks you, if you want to install the game. Press A and watch the magic happen. Worked for me since I installed the loader.

That's not working for me. When I push + (or click on the little gear in the upper left, then click the install button in that menu), the Wii's disk drive spins up, and I get the launch screen for a blank game. It then says to press 1 to dump BCA, when I do that is says press A to save, then press any button to continue, and then it dumps me back in the main screen. Shitty screenshot: http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac191/darkpanda64/cfgscreenshot.jpg

I know it recognizes my drive because a) that's where all of cfg's files are, and b) I can select it as the working partition when cfg starts up.

Clipper

DarkPanda said:
That's not working for me. When I push + (or click on the little gear in the upper left, then click the install button in that menu), the Wii's disk drive spins up, and I get the launch screen for a blank game. It then says to press 1 to dump BCA, when I do that is says press A to save, then press any button to continue, and then it dumps me back in the main screen. Shitty screenshot: http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac191/darkpanda64/cfgscreenshot.jpg

I know it recognizes my drive because a) that's where all of cfg's files are, and b) I can select it as the working partition when cfg starts up.
You should be getting more options than that and there should be more text on the screen. In fact, it should only offer to do the BCA rather than installing the game if it thinks that game is already installed. Check your /wbfs directory and see if there are files for the game there already and if so, delete them. I do find it strange if that's the problem, though, as the game should show up in Cfg's menu.

The other thing I can suggest is attempting to change the theme to one of the other ones that comes in the default Cfg installation. The theme you are using in that screenshot is one of the older ones and I think it's only used by default if it's not finding the /usb-loader directory on the drive...

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Clipper said:
That pause is unusual, unless your drive is both big and extremely fragmented. I've never really heard of that happening, so I'm not sure what's up. Oh well, at least it worked!

I see. I have a 500GB HDD with 2 partitions (NTFS for regular stuff, FAT32 for USB loader). Although I haven't checked in a while, it's unlikely my Wii partition is fragmented as it's only ever served the purpose of storing my games and the usb loader files. I don't remember how big the partition is, but it shouldn't be over 100GB.

It's definitely got to do with the fact that the game disc is dual-layered I think. I've never tries to install Brawl or other dual-layered games prior to Xenoblade, but at any rate it's the first time I ever encounter that mild inconvenience. I suppose my launch Wii doesn't like those discs.

Thanks anyway. By the way I fixed my playlog issue. For some reason, it's as you said: the game-specific settings for Rhythm Tengoku had the playlog set to off. I don't recall doing that and don't see why I would do it in the first place, but still.

Quick question. Is there any way to know if Xenoblade will still end up working on my Wii's drive even if I haven't homebrewed it yet? Basically, will the Wii make any behavior to know it can read it, but doesn't read it in the end because it's an out of region disc?

Another thing, whenever I play a disc on my Wii it makes a loud buzzing noise. Sometimes though it'll start getting less noisy than usual, but still make a buzzing noise, it's just not as loud. With my MH3 disc, it used to do that then the disc stopped running. But not always. And hasn't for the last few times I played it. Also, some other games have been the same but they haven't stopped. I can't tell if the lower noise is because the game is in the process of stopping eventually (that may not be for a few hours later or something), which means my drive is getting worse, or the drive is fixing itself sorta. Though my Wii's had some trouble reading GC disc since the last time I played it a few weeks ago.

Clipper

Jzero15 said:
Clipper can you guesstimate how large Skyward Sword will be?
My guess is that it'll be on a dual layer disc, so 6-7GB, due to the claims of length we've been hearing recently, but that is far from certain.

Bel Marduk said:
Quick question. Is there any way to know if Xenoblade will still end up working on my Wii's drive even if I haven't homebrewed it yet? Basically, will the Wii make any behavior to know it can read it, but doesn't read it in the end because it's an out of region disc?

Another thing, whenever I play a disc on my Wii it makes a loud buzzing noise. Sometimes though it'll start getting less noisy than usual, but still make a buzzing noise, it's just not as loud. With my MH3 disc, it used to do that then the disc stopped running. But not always. And hasn't for the last few times I played it. Also, some other games have been the same but they haven't stopped. I can't tell if the lower noise is because the game is in the process of stopping eventually (that may not be for a few hours later or something), which means my drive is getting worse, or the drive is fixing itself sorta. Though my Wii's had some trouble reading GC disc since the last time I played it a few weeks ago.
If you don't have StartPatch (or another similar patch) installed, the disc will spin in the drive, the disc channel icon will start its spinning animation, but that wills stop shortly afterwards and the Wii will report an error if you try to start the disc channel such as "Not a Wii disc" (or there might be a specific region message). Basically similar to what happens if you put a CD or DVD into the drive.

You're probably OK. Your drive is probably just very sensitive to slightly unbalanced discs. You might want to try orienting your Wii in the other way (horizontal vs. vertical) to see if it works better in the other orientation (gravity will affect the disc differently, so there is a good chance of this).

Speevy said:
Wait, they're offering texture packs for an emulator that barely runs anything at full speed. Talk about having your priorities wrong.
Uhh no, Wii64 runs almost everything I've thrown at it at full speed at least 90% of the time. The big issues it has are with compatibility and graphical glitches. Talk about talking out of your ass.

And that Mario 64 shot would look a million times better if they didn't stretch it to widescreen.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
About the Forwarder Channel for Configurable USB Loader:

USB Loader is installed on my hard drive (not SD card), so I know I have to follow these steps but put the files on my USB drive instead of the SD card. Does that include the IOS installer? That is, unzipping the installer to my USB drive and use it from there instead of the SD card along with the WAD manager and the WAD file? Note that I according to the IOS installer when I use it on my SD card that I already have IOS 58.

(Basically I'm just clueless about IOSes, and I don't want to brick my Wii)

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Yeah, never mind, managed to set up everything just fine. I guess only the actual .wad forwarder needs to be on the USB drive.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
On another topic: why is it recommended to give a static IP to your Wii if you want to use FTPii? I'd have to reconfigure my Wi-Fi router and everything (got 3 computers connecting to the network + my Wii and DSi), and I'm not sure I could do that without fucking things up since I wasn't the one who originally configured the network.

Top Bottom