• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
artworks-000006760408-9esuxa-crop.jpg

Only 15 years old (now 16) from an island outside Stockholm, Amanda Mair didn't have any official record as an artist when we discovered her by pure luck in 2010. She had no bandcamp/myspace page, hadn't made any live shows or sent any demos to labels or press. She did however record a few songs with friend of Labrador who - blissed out - later played us the recordings. For that we're thankful!

First two singles: "House" (good) and "Doubt" (GREAT). Album should be out in the winter.

I just heard Deity's critically flaw-deprived The One That Got Away on the radio for the very first time. It was blaring from someone's car while I was walking to work. I guess that means it has been officially released as a single now, so it made me cry a little. Feels like having a new baby. And it's so beautiful and sad.

tumblr_lhk7cvyJQX1qgbhq7o1_500.gif

So, the iHeartRadio Music Festival is this weekend. Here's the lineup:

Friday, September 23, 2011:
Jay-Z
Alicia Keys
Carrie Underwood
Kelly Clarkson
Coldplay
Black Eyed Peas
Bruno Mars
Jane's Addiction

Saturday, September 24, 2011:
Lady Gaga
Steven Tyler
Nicki Minaj
David Guetta
Jennifer Lopez
Kenny Chesney
Rascal Flatts
Sublime with Rome

Guest Performances:
Usher
Sting
Jeff Beck
DJ Pauly D (lolwat)

Koodo

Banned
Nicola Robert's album leaked or was released in some foreign country or- oh, whatever, StayPop is streaming the whole thing HERE.

Edit: it was released in Ireland, apparently.

Edit 2: that's a legal link, by the way.

Sai-kun

Banned
Koodo said:
Nicola Robert's album leaked or was released in some foreign country or- oh, whatever, StayPop is streaming the whole thing HERE.

Edit: it was released in Ireland, apparently.
#justsayin Biophilia is out there as well. Are we allowed to say that?

Sai-kun said:
#justsayin Biophilia is out there as well. Are we allowed to say that?
*gasp* What are you suggesting??!?!??!!!???!!?
!!????!?!?!!??!

Nah, it's all good. It won't affect the quality of the album, which is all I care about.

bjork.gif

Koodo

Banned
OMG. The studio version of Mutual Core is free of flaws. I am in a state of incapability right now.

Edit: I need a Bjö gif to celebrate this.

Sai-kun

Banned
Koodo said:
OMG. The studio version of Mutual Core is free of flaws. I am in a state of incapability right now.

Edit: I need a Bjö gif to celebrate this.

RIGHT, GIRL?

it is absolutely amazing.

Crumpet Trumpet said:
Homegirl's looking mature & classy, love it. Her appearance this era is so much better than that All I Ever Wanted shit. That whole era was just a mess though, #realtalk
Speaking of eras we'd like to forget, it's important to remember that Björk had a good track record with producers prior to Timbalame. Before Mark Bell became a shadow of his former self, he did some brilliant work with her. It sure sounds like she's back on track with her hire of 16bit, the dubstep/electronic producers extraordinaire.

And the absolute pinnacle of her career as a live performance artist was the wonderful show she did at the Royal Opera House in London, being the first pop star ever to stop there on a concert tour (for Vespertine). Matmos, Zeena Parkins, Simon Lee, and the Greenland Choir backed her up to perfection (flawless, etc), and to date the show has produced the best live recordings of several of her songs, including Hyperballad, Possibly Maybe, Isobel, and most of Vespertine.

RoyalOperaHouseBjork.JPG

The YouTube videos of the concert are atrocious, so you should pick up the DVD somewhere (it's currently less than $15 at Amazon).

Matmos created some amazing beats during the show, including live-sampling a deck of playing cards being shuffled, the sound of feet moving through rocks, and the electric pulses of Drew Daniel's spine for the performance of Cocoon:

iti2R9UOBxiYO.gif

She must have performed it a billion times by now, but there's no denying that this is the greatest version of Hyperballad that has ever existed.

Another classic, Jóga, gets an amazing, beatless treatment. Just her voice and the orchestra.

igI0OoXYt97YZ.gif

Vespertine can be a difficult album to 'get' at first, but watching her perform each song lets you understand the great melodies and beats, like in her performance of An Echo, A Stain.

Björk has done so many live performances that she rarely gets emotional, but watch her get choked up halfway during this rendition of Unison.

idHjkAPWkYLpn.gif

This performance of Possibly Maybe is just insane; even the YouTube commenters noticed that when she hits that bridge she enters another universe.

You can stan all you want, but make no mistake: this is how a real Queen slays lessors.
Evrkc.gif

Now can we put that whole Volta thing behind us?

Sai-kun said:
I will forever associate Hyperballad and Pluto. They were made for each other.
...interesting, considering they're on different (albeit neighboring) albums. I kind of like the live version of Hyperballad/Pluto she did for Voltaïc and the Volta tours, especially with Mark Bell using Freak as a linking song. I don't like how he uses it to bludgeon the end of Hyperballad, though.

For me, Homogenic was one of the first actual records I ever purchased with my allowance money ($1 a week does not go very far), and I actually wore the album out from listening to it so much throughout middle school and high school. I must have listened to that album front-to-back at least 500 times by this point, and the record is very worn. I'm kind of paranoid about keeping a pristine copy, so I actually own three.

For that reason I've always associated Pluto with the album version of All is Full of Love (which is actually a remix of the original, but whatever). To me, Pluto is the apocalypse and AIFOL is the aftermath. They cannot be separated -- it's always weird when I hear it and it doesn't seamlessly transition afterwards.

Sai-kun

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
...interesting, considering they're on different (albeit neighboring) albums. I kind of like the live version of Hyperballad/Pluto she did for Voltaïc and the Volta tours, especially with Mark Bell using Freak as a linking song. I don't like how he uses it to bludgeon the end of Hyperballad, though.

Yup, this is why! They go so perfectly together, IMO. Even while I was doing my live radio show, I'd sometimes play Hyperballad and then drop Pluto after the second chorus and build up. It just transitions so epicly.

Edit: Man, I forgot about that crazy techno transition. It's so rad! I would be dancing ridiculously!

Sai-kun said:
Yup, this is why! They go so perfectly together, IMO. Even while I was doing my live radio show, I'd sometimes play Hyperballad and then drop Pluto after the second chorus and build up. It just transitions so epicly.

Edit: Man, I forgot about that crazy techno transition. It's so rad! I would be dancing ridiculously!
Oh? It sounds like you haven't heard of the song used. It was a minor hit called Freak, by the group LFO (no, not the boyband). Mark Bell was a founding member, and the group is kind of legendary in rave/electronic music circles.

The video is pretty great. Make sure to watch the whole thing!

Sai-kun

Banned
SecretMoblin said:
Oh? It sounds like you haven't heard of the song used. It was a minor hit called Freak, by the group LFO (no, not the boyband). Mark Bell was a founding member, and the group is kind of legendary in rave/electronic music circles.

The video is pretty great. Make sure to watch the whole thing!

Wow, that video was pretty awesome :lol Thanks for the link! I'll have to find that track somewhere now and get it :)

Koodo

Banned
The video for Kelly Clarkson's Mr. Know It All has been released. Click below:

It's like a basic, sober version of Godney's Piece Of Me.
a9mn9x.jpg

Koodo

Banned
I'm OK with Minaj's part, but Ke¢ha totally ruins the song for me. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to shover her in the chorus, lawd.

The remixed breakdown is absolutely flawless though.

Crumpet Trumpet said:
made an edit of TTWE with the remix breakdown in the regular song, let me find it~
o post it plz

TTWE

I totally forgot I repeated the last line too. It sounds okay if you're not paying attention to the cut lolol

edit: Oh it was taken down already! dis shit

edit 2: or was it? idk idk

Arsenic Yellow said:
TTWE is ruined by britney... just sayin'
Minaj is the only redeeming part of this.

No words for Ke$ha.
x4irly.gif

Actually I usually like Minaj, but her verse here doesn't do anything for me.

and recently i have started to appreciate Ke$ha's place in pop music

Delio

So So let's get this started with..KYARY PAMYU PAMYU (no rule agiasnt Jpop right?)

Kyary%2B7.jpg

Kyary started as a fashion blogger, and then began her professional career as a model for Harajuku fashion magazines such as Kera! and Zipper. After achieving a measure of fame, she began to establish herself as a businesswoman by launching a line of fake eyelashes called "Harajuku Doll Eyelashes by Eyemazing x Kyary" and appearing at fashion shows.

Her first single "PONPONPON" was released back in July and the video was quite amazing and crazy. Her second single "Jelly" was released on August 3rd and is easy to purchase on iTunes.

She's new but she is charting a course for herself and bringing her adoring fans with her.

"PONPONPON" video can be viewed here http://youtu.be/yzC4hFK5P3g
"Jelly" right here http://youtu.be/30AyqxJg0I4

Her mini album is titled "Moshi Moshi Harajuku" and was released August 17th. Dat album cover.
VFx5Nl.jpg

So my gurls do you approve of my dear Kyary?

tumblr_lsb42a8UH71qamheoo1_500.gif

tumblr_ls8cdf8tQE1qdnseg.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom