• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

daffy

Banned
blame space said:
how was blink-182 not a pop phenomenon
lol oh snap. I don't think you should expect a sensible answer in here IMO. My question to Jessie J bashers was largely ignored, kind of insulting but w/e. I personally don't know, im not American so I haven't the slightest on cultural impact.

I actually think I'll be bidding adieu to this thread. Have fun girls!

Koodo

Banned
blame space said:
koodo i am fighting with you

how is blink-182 not a pop music phenomenon
To call Blink a phenomenon, I would have to call Xtincta, who has sold more albums and singles, a phenomenon.

I rest my case.

21awmkl.jpg

FTH said:
2q3n4sx.jpg

Sai-kun

Banned
FTH said:
lol oh snap. I don't think you should expect a sensible answer in here IMO. My question to Jessie J bashers was largely ignored, kind of insulting but w/e. I personally don't know, im not American so I haven't the slightest on cultural impact.

Bye again, dear! :)

inhgy.gif

FTH said:

it's good natured ribbing. jessie j is very relevant in terms of being a punching bag, every newish pop artist gets it. remember ke$ha circa tik tok? scratch that, ke$ha is still a punching bag

Sai-kun

Banned
There just hasn't been any big news lately for us to talk about!

Although, Koodo, you might wanna update the OP just a bit. Biophilia got pushed back to...october 10, I believe. :(

Koodo

Banned
Updated OP with Kelly Clarkson's latest (under singles) and Biophilia's new release date!

Edit: LMAO, nevermind.

Koodo said:
Updated OP with Kelly Clarkson's latest (under singles) and Biophilia's new release date!

Edit: LMAO, nevermind.
Mr. Know it All :bow :bow :bow
fhBYy.gif

YOU AIN'T GOT THE RIGHT TO TELL ME
WHEN AND WHERE TO GO, NO RIGHT TO TELL ME
ACTIN' LIKE YOU OWN ME LATELY
YEAH BABY, YOU DON'T KNOW A THIIIIING ABOUT ME

Koodo

Banned
I, too, must concede this one to Crampeta and that other Kelly stan:

MKIA has been growing on me.

#icant

Cosmic Bus said:
I'm jazzed about the Nicola Roberts album in a couple of weeks. The singles so far have been perfect little gumdrops.

"Lucky Day"
"Beat of My Drum"
I see this Nicola Roberts lady is trying to come for Kylie's britpop crown. I shall keep an eye on her!

Koodo said:
I, too, must concede this one to Crampeta and that other Kelly stan:

MKIA has been growing on me.

#icant

This was me
1st listen: The fuck. How disappointing.
2nd listen: It's okay. My mother would like this.
3rd listen: YOU DON'T KNOW A THIIIIIIIING ABOUT ME

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Crumpet Trumpet said:
I see this Nicola Roberts lady is trying to come for Kylie's britpop crown. I shall keep an eye on her!

Nicola was in Girls Aloud originally, so she isn't totally new to this. I'd be kind of surprised if she manages to be much more than a minor flash-in-the-pan, but that's the disposable nature of pop and half the fun.

Girls Aloud should just reform; apparently it's something they're attempting for next year, so we'll see. The huge singles boxset they released was sfkjgadkjfg great.

Cosmic Bus said:
Nicola was in Girls Aloud originally, so she isn't totally new to this. I'd be kind of surprised if she manages to be much more than a minor flash-in-the-pan, but that's the disposable nature of pop and half the fun.

Girls Aloud should just reform; apparently it's something they're attempting for next year, so we'll see. The huge singles boxset they released was sfkjgadkjfg great.
Ah, I thought I recognized her from somewhere. Good to know.

Also, 9 years ago today, the first
and only real
American Idol was crowned!

Hootie

apparently the new ladytron album leaked, anyone listen to it yet?

i hate to admit it but they're one of my few guilty pleasures in music

Sai-kun

Banned
Crumpet Trumpet said:
Also, 9 years ago today, the first
and only real
American Idol was crowned!

Wow, has it seriously been 9 years? Amazing. Even if I don't like a lot of her stuff, major props for stayin in the game.

I'm cheating on GAF-Hop right now coming over to this side but this thread is great.

I love Lykke Li too but the second album was subpar compared to her first.
On the subject of Lykke, is anybody feeling Amanda Blank?
Her album still gets play from me, I wish she blew up :(

Sai-kun

Banned
Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
I'm cheating on GAF-Hop right now coming over to this side but this thread is great.

I love Lykke Li too but the second album was subpar compared to her first.
On the subject of Lykke, is anybody feeling Amanda Blank?
Her album still gets play from me, I wish she blew up :(

Something Bigger, Something Better is my goddamn JAM. I could shake my ass all night to this song. So good.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Doesn't precisely fit the mold of what this thread is for, but I think some of you will appreciate the tunes anyway: Glass Candy's two new tracks are fucking unreal examples of sexy, danceable nu-disco grooves. The Italians Do It Better label always gets things right, but they're just knocking it outta the park with this (and the Mike Simonetti EP from a couple months back). Bump up your bass and spin the volume up to its max...

"Warm In the Winter"
"Beautiful Object"

Glass+Candy++color+live.jpg

Cosmic Bus said:
Doesn't precisely fit the mold of what this thread is for, but I think some of you will appreciate the tunes anyway: Glass Candy's two new tracks are fucking unreal examples of sexy, danceable nu-disco grooves. The Italians Do It Better label always gets things right, but they're just knocking it outta the park with this (and the Mike Simonetti EP from a couple months back). Bump up your bass and spin the volume up to its max...

"Warm In the Winter"
"Beautiful Object"

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/39741009/Glass+Candy++color+live.jpg
If we're going to include Italo Disco under the PopGAF umbrella, then I'm expecting a great deal more of these excellent posts.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Labor Day weekend homework assignment: take some time to think it over and post your top ten favorite pop songs ever. Youtube links (or a mix!) are highly, highly required.

Some of y'all who enjoy Britney's work with Bloodshy & Avant (Toxic, Piece of Me, Unusual You, How I Roll, etc.) may find Miike Snow interesting. The band sounds, well, nothing much like their work with Britney but it's still nice to hear a different sound to them.

Silvia

Burial

Animal

Cosmic Bus said:
Labor Day weekend homework assignment: take some time to think it over and post your top ten favorite pop songs ever. Youtube links (or a mix!) are highly, highly required.

Ooh, this could be fun! I need more reason to procrastinate on my school work, too :)

Sai-kun

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:

We should have more weekend homework assignments like this! :D

Oh boy, i will be thinking about this a lot, will post my list before i go to bed.

Oozer3993

Jayayess1190 said:
Jojo the queen is back with another song from her upcoming album "Jumping Trains". Song is Disaster, I like it.

51DTlPbCcRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I'm gonna see her live on Sunday. I'm excited. I hear her set includes her Marvin's Room cover Can't Do Better which is AMAZING.

Great thread. Though I never understood the Beyonce and Christina Aguilera hate. Beyonce's still the most well-rounded entertainer of the past 20 years, and Christina Aguilera has two of my favorite pop albums under her belt. "Back to Basics" and "Stripped" are friggin' STRONG records. I can understand not digging Christina Aguilera personally (on account of her being a hot mess) but she still "slays" or whatever. I dunno. Shut me down with a gif, Koodo.

I was gonna list my top 10 favorite pop albums but I'd be afraid of spending WAY too much time on it, lol. I'll just say these albums definitely make the cut:

- Ray of Light
- History
- Born This Way
- Femme Fatale
- I Am... Sasha Fierce
- Back to Basics
- Confessions on a Dance Floor
- The Fame Monster

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Koodo said:
I've made my Top 10. I'm bilingual so this list has both English and Spanish flawlessness:

Your faves are so slain I'm actually crying for them.

Two Madonna songs, so that makes me a happy boy.

I'm actually kind of hesitant to post mine because they're mostly so old, haha!

Don't worry, Cosmic -- several of mine are old, too.

I decided I didn't have the ability to sift through everything I've ever heard and make a list, so I confined it to a top-10 list of pop records (vinyl records) that I actually own. Lots of my faves are left out, but that can't be helped. That also means that most of this list is 80s jams. Maybe I'll make a mix at some point. It is how I put food on the table, after all. I'm just too lazy right now.
Anways, the list in no particular order:

1. Prince - When Doves Cry
Probably the best pop song ever written or recorded. Probably. Nah, definitely.

2. New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
Love New Order, love this song, love all of their output. It still works as a catchy, danceable pop song.

3. Cyndi Lauper - True Colors
This song was number one in the country on the day I was born. Thankfully it became number one in time to dethrone that bitch Janet and her abortion of a song "When I Think of You".
Evrkc.gif

4. Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
A pop song with feeling.

5. Kate Bush - Running Up that Hill
In my dreams, she's performing this on an ice rink while performing tricks.

6. TLC - Creep
If Rihanna is pop, then TLC is pop, and Creep was their ultimate Jam. Yes, even more than Waterfalls.

7. Björk - Hyper-ballad
All the YouTube videos with the official music video are crappy, so here's a great live performance on Jools Holland. The Queen.

8. Inner City - Good Life
One of the inventors of Detroit Techno with one of his best pop hits. And the video is genius.

9. The Human League - Sound of the Crowd
The most underrated pop act of the 80s, The Human League (or maybe ABC?).

10. They Might Be Giants - Ana Ng
I've seen them live 18 times, and I considered leaving them out of this thread since they do lots of different kinds of music, but this was a pop hit for them.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I was totally on the fence about including Kate Bush and ultimately decided against it because while she's one of my absolute favorites, I don't generally associate her with "pop music" for some reason. I probably couldn't have settled on a single track anyway!

Big ups for the Human League, too. I've always liked their radio singles, and gained an even greater appreciation for them after picking up some LPs over the summer.

edit: Heh, my birthday had "Hot Child in the City" as #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom