• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - October 2011

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
artwalknoon said:
It would be great if Nintendo Video was an app for all 3d trailers, the Nintendo Show (of which there has only been 1 episode and no known schedule), and the other random junk.
The Nintendo Show. Knew I was forgetting something. Too many wasted opportunities.

Roto13 said:
The Blue Man Group videos are pretty boring, which is a shame because the Blue Man Group is pretty awesome in general. I miss the College Humour videos. I hope Bear Shark gets made into an ongoing series.
I don't think I've seen the Bear Shark one. I'll probably catch it on the next rotation.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Euwope getting spoiled again this week.

A puzzle-solving platformer, Catrap (GB) is credited as being the first title to use time-rewinding gameplay, later found in games such as Blinx and Prince of Persia.

Extreme Hangman 2 for DSiWare boasts over 3000 words in 14 new categories, and we really can't find anything more to say about it.

Trenches: Generals meanwhile is a tower defence title for WiiWare. It's an update of the iOS original, where players must help the British Army beat the Germans.

One day I will get those Game Gear games... one day.

donny2112

AbsoluteZero said:
I wasn't aware anyone actually "grinded" play coins.

I do. Without Streetpasses, it would've taken ~two months to earn enough coins to get through Find Mii twice, and that would've left none for the puzzles or games.

AbsoluteZero said:
I just kinda got 'em from carrying my 3DS around daily.

Carrying the 3DS around with me everywhere would just be annoying, and I'd always be concerned with it breaking being stuffed in a pocket. (It's not exactly soft.) Therefore, I'd rather get what needs to get done with the Play Coins out of the way, and then not worry about damaging while out. (I still carry it out a lot, but I don't feel like I have to to get through the Puzzles and Find Mii.)

Would much rather have tons of daily opportunities for Streetpasses, but that's just not an option, unfortunately. :(

mclem

A puzzle-solving platformer, Catrap (GB) is credited as being the first title to use time-rewinding gameplay, later found in games such as Blinx and Prince of Persia.

I'm not *that* familiar with Catrap, but I *thought* the only 'time-rewinding gameplay' in it was, well, an 'undo' button.

sfog

uchihasasuke said:
what did the latest firmware update change in the DSi? i remember it asked me to update when i downloaded four swords.

Around the end of July as I recall. It's currently 1.4.3.

Nice to see Lock 'n Chase get rated too. It's a really good Pac-Man clone with decent level variety, and certainly more worthwhile of a re-release than GB Pac-Man was.

Chopper

lunchwithyuzo said:
FUCKYEAH!

I was worried Sunsoft soured on Nintendo after they went silent on Wii VC. Hopefully we'll still see Gimmick, Silius and WW7 over there yet.
And Batman!

Capndrake said:
Two new GB games rated by the OFLC:

-Lock 'N Chase (Data East)
-Trip World (Sunsoft)

Good stuff. Lord knows when they'll release them though :(

Annoying Old Party Man said:
Isn't it time for those GBA Ambassador games?

Probably next month, when the system update hits.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I hope the release of Trip World means we'll receive a lot of other awesome, lesser known titles. I really want my Spanky's Quest on Virtual Console. ;_;

BooJoh

About the Pig Who Cried Werewolf video: I watched it this morning and it was almost immediately apparent to me that the left and right frames were swapped. Holding the system at an angle made it pop out better. They pushed an update for it today though, so once it redownloads you can watch it the way it was intended, and it looks a lot better now.

I'm a little baffled at some of the mistakes that make it through to SpotPass updates.

Time for my obligatory monthly question of "where the hell is Mega Man X on the EU VC?"
Do these people not want my money? ridiculosity!

Mudkips

Banned
Update is tomorrow right?
Fingers are crossed for some good shit and a new Nintendo Show (thus establishing a monthly schedule).

I wonder if Metroid II is going to be released tomorrow in the U.S. If so, it will be really hard to resist for 4 or 5 dollars. I'd much rather have the original cart (I passed on Link's Awakening DX, SML 1 and 2 for this reason as my GBA SP still gets used a lot), it's a game I borrowed and played a lot as a kid but never bought it. But a complete copy with box, manual and cart holder on ebay goes for at least 100.00 in good condition and if you want it new, it goes for close to 200.00 which is nuts. I'll probably download it and then get my hard "collector's copy" later on when I have more cash.

edit: Just bought a new, sealed copy of Metroid II off ebay close to the latter price mentioned above. Yes, I am an insane Metroid fan.

NINTENDO DOWNLOAD HIGHLIGHTS NEW DIGITAL CONTENT FOR NINTENDO SYSTEMS - OCTOBER 6, 2011

Oct. 6, 2011

This week's Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:

Nintendo eShop and Nintendo DSiWare™
House M.D. – Skull and Bones – Dr. House and his team must unravel a medical mystery involving a macho college kid who loses feeling in his arms during a fraternity hazing. Find the right diagnosis using patient exams, interviews, lab tests and even surgery. (For Nintendo 3DS™ / Nintendo DSi™)

Nintendo eShop
Side Pocket™ – Chalk up and get ready for some cool pool action. Test your billiard skills in two great modes: Pocket offers the traditional 16-ball game, while 9-Ball is a more contemporary version of the sport. (For Nintendo 3DS)

Pokédex 3D™ Update Available! – Update Pokédex 3D to unlock a few amazing features. Updating your Pokédex 3D application is easy. Just launch the application and select the Settings option (the gear icon in the top-right corner). Scroll to the bottom and tap the Update button. (For Nintendo 3DS)

Also new this week:
• Simply Minesweeper (Nintendo eShop / Nintendo DSiWare)
• Horizon Riders (WiiWare™)
• Horizon Riders (demo version) (WiiWare)

To view this week's Nintendo Download in its full graphical version, please visit: http://www.news2know.net/nintendo/downloadSt98PwT3q.php

In addition to video games available at retail stores, Nintendo also offers a variety of content that people can download directly to their systems. Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo eShop for the Nintendo 3DS™ system, to the Nintendo DSi™ Shop for the Nintendo DSi system and to the Wii™ Shop Channel for the Wii console at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Thursdays.

The Nintendo eShop is a cash-based service and features games, applications and videos in both 2D and 3D. Users can add money to their virtual wallets using a credit card or by purchasing a Nintendo 3DS Prepaid Card at a retail store and entering the code from the card.

The Wii Shop Channel offers games and applications and uses Wii Points™, which can be purchased via the Wii Shop Channel. The Nintendo DSi Shop offers games and applications and uses Nintendo DSi Points™, which can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Wii Points Card™ and Nintendo DSi Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one card must be redeemed in either the Wii Shop Channel or the Nintendo DSi Shop, respectively. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that Wii, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage some of the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wii, http://www.nintendo.com/3ds or http://www.nintendo.com/ds/systems/dsi.
A Game Boy billiards game? Really?

Horizon Riders looks like Sin & Punishment 3.

Chopper

Has anyone played anything of these House MD titles? I'm a big fan of the show, but can't quite understand how a video game would work...

JazzmanZ

The Pokemon 3D update just gives you the features you'd eventually get yourself if you got a lot of pokemon added to the dex, so theres really nothing new.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
A Pokedex update? Interesting...

EDIT: Or not. What a terrible offering.

Effect

Mudkips said:
Update is tomorrow right?
Fingers are crossed for some good shit and a new Nintendo Show (thus establishing a monthly schedule).

I do hope the show wasn't a one time thing. It still is the most accessed video on the eShop going by the eShop's own chart last time I checked.

Stumpokapow said:
straight up nothing this week
Really? If a game that strongly resembled Sin & Punishment came out for Steam or XBLA, you wouldn't even be interested enough to try out the demo and see if it's any good?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Chopper said:
Has anyone played anything of these House MD titles? I'm a big fan of the show, but can't quite understand how a video game would work...

Judging by the screen captures, it looks terribad level.

This is a pretty terrible week. I don't understand Nintendo; the Game Boy library is not small.

OnPoint

Why does the link go to last week's update lol

Also, I couldn't find a page for Side Pocket on Nintendo's site. Weird.

thomaser

nincompoop said:
A Game Boy billiards game? Really?

Don't diss Side Pocket. It's simple, but great fun! I played it tons when I was a kid. Catchy music, infinite-momentum code... it's just fun.

giggas

Blows my mind how poorly they handle their weekly releases. Why are there not tons of old Gameboy and GBC games yet? What the hell is stopping them?

All I want is Gameboy Bionic Commando. :(

Javier

Nintendo probably doesn't want to repeat the situation with the Wii VC and run out of games too early, which is a big cause of complain right now. At the rate they're going with 3DS VC, we'll have a new game every week for the next five years (assuming they release titles for GB, GBC, GBA, NES, Game Gear and TG-16). Last resort scenario they run out of titles for those systems and say "Let's fill it up with SNES titles".

What really boggles me is the lack of original 3DS downloadable titles. While we're stuck with the Pokedex, Let's Golf, and the 3D Classics, Japan has all that and around 30 other titles.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Never played Mario Land 2. Is there a correct way to choose in which order play the levels?
I'm kinda confused, I admit I like more linearity in my platformers -_-

Berordn

Dash Kappei said:
Never played Mario Land 2. Is there a correct way to choose in which order play the levels?
There isn't, and it's part of the reason the game remains easy until Wario's Castle. I always go straight for Hippo Zone, though.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I loved Side Pocket on SNES. Loved.

Is GB version anything like it?
At first I thought it was an original eShop title... they need to put VC or GB somewhere in the description.

GeekyDad

Javier said:
Nintendo probably doesn't want to repeat the situation with the Wii VC and run out of games too early...

Run out too early? They never came even close to running out of good games to pick from. They just never bothered with it, really. There's still an incredible treasure trove of content they have yet to tap.

GeekyDad said:
Run out too early? They never came even close to running out of good games to pick from. They just never bothered with it, really. There's still an incredible treasure trove of content they have yet to tap.
I'm getting worried we're really not going to see Quintet's Soulblazer Trilogy before Wii VC dies out. :(

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Pietepiet said:
OH MY LORD YES!
I've been trying to find a cartridge of this for ages now...

I've never seen Trip World show up on eBay before. I wonder how much it'll go for if it eventually does.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
nincompoop said:
Really? If a game that strongly resembled Sin & Punishment came out for Steam or XBLA, you wouldn't even be interested enough to try out the demo and see if it's any good?

Well, I think your connection to S&P in both posts in this thread is a little stronger than the actual resemblance I see. I bought S&P2 for $5 and still haven't finished it. I still haven't finished Panzer Dragoon Orta, which I bought for $2. It's not likely I would buy another on-rails shooter, especially not for more than I paid for two greats of the genre. It's not my genre of choice. In this case, both the videos and the screenshots also look terrible to me. Nothing seems to be going on, and the visuals are... well...

If the developer had some pedigree, and the screens and videos looked a little bit better, and reviews were good (since any other platform would have had pre-release reviews), I'd probably remote-download the demo from work and try it in a few days.

Roto13

Dash Kappei said:
The game is pretty easy aside from Wario's Castle (which you have to do last), but starting at the Tree Zone and going clockwise from there is as good a way to do it as any. :p

Top Bottom