• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - October 2011

@MUWANdo said:
Those weren't actually games, just static screenshots rendered in stereoscopic 3D.

And we are getting Kid Icarus and Kirby's Adventure 3D Classics shortly.

I feel that we might be getting more afterwards. I'm just surprised we didn't get one for October. I'm calling it: Kid Icarus for November and Kirby's Adventure for December/January.

@MUWANdo

Banned
maeda said:
Who cares? Give us something...

I totally agree, the eShop library is abysmal (I talked about it a few posts up), I was just clarifying re: 3D Classics stuff.

For what it's worth, they announced a bunch of eShop stuff last week that'll be out in the next couple of months, and that's not counting whatever third-party stuff shows up. It's still more of a trickle than a stream, but it beats getting nothing every damn week.

maeda

TheUnknownForce said:
And we are getting Kid Icarus and Kirby's Adventure 3D Classics shortly.

I feel that we might be getting more afterwards. I'm just surprised we didn't get one for October. I'm calling it: Kid Icarus for November and Kirby's Adventure for December/January.
Why are they remaking only NES games? Imagine if they would remake ALLTP or Super Metroid! Remake something people will actually get excited over? Let's face it Kid Icarus is unplayable today, Kirby is sweet though. I might even buy it.

maeda said:
Why are they remaking only NES games? Imagine if they would remake ALLTP or Super Metroid! Remake something people will actually get excited over? Let's face it Kid Icarus is unplayable today, Kirby is sweet though. I might even buy it.

I imagine they are starting with older games and going up. They are completely remaking the games, so it takes time. I imagine making the sprites of SNES games into 3D graphics might be quite cumbersome.

And no way in hell is Nintendo remaking Super Metroid or Link to the Past in 3D for eShop. They'd do that for full retail, knowing them. And I'd buy both!

fernoca

Well, had $1, added $5, got Pyramids for $4 and the remaining $2 on Photo Dojo. :)

Really liking Pyramids. 3D mostly adds depth; except when you're hit/burnt/etc. it sends the character flying to the screen. But it's a nice puzzle. Basically you have to get the key, that unlocks the door and arrive to the door. Quite simple, you're not even forced to do it on time (per se); but...If you do it before the time runs out, you get a bonus star. If you get the hidden treasure(s) you get another star and so on.This stars let you unlock more levels to continue progress. Later levels add enemies and other/moving hazards. Plus there's "DLC"; well not really but the team/dev/publisher is going to release QR Codes that when you take a pic of them; you unlock new levels. There's only one at the moment, posted by Nintendo Life; with more..well; don't know when. :p

Really nice.

PhotoDojo "is old"; so no biggie. But is a blast. Can't wait to have my friends come over or somethin, so I can add them to the game. XD

EDIT:
Oh, 2 more Pyramid level-QR codes are on their Facebook page.

maeda

TheUnknownForce said:
I imagine they are starting with older games and going up. They are completely remaking the games, so it takes time. I imagine making the sprites of SNES games into 3D graphics might be quite cumbersome.

And no way in hell is Nintendo remaking Super Metroid or Link to the Past in 3D for eShop. They'd do that for full retail, knowing them. And I'd buy both!
I would too! Let's hope we'll get NES VC and SMB 3 soon.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Interesting -- Netflix (WII) had another update. I wonder what changed this time... and no, it's not the Netflix update from 1-3 months ago (with the faster loading but jumpy movement on the menu)...

Let's see.

Edit: Netflix on the Wii -- not the 3DS one.

DavidDayton said:
Interesting -- Netflix had another update. I wonder what changed this time... and no, it's not the Netflix update from 1-3 months ago (with the faster loading but jumpy movement on the menu)...

Let's see.

Maybe it won't crash the 3ds causing me to have to force quit.

Turnstyle

Fuck me, Nintendo's digital offering is such a joke. I haven't even turned on my 3DS since four swords came out.

Well, that does it for me, I'm going to sell it. I can't even be bothered to wait for the GBA games (which will probably be released on the 31st of December at this rate).

DDayton

Turnstyle said:
Well, that does it for me, I'm going to sell it. I can't even be bothered to wait for the GBA games (which will probably be released on the 31st of December at this rate).

Yep, selling your 3DS about 2 weeks before the Mario game gets released. Makes perfect sense to me.

DavidDayton said:
Yep, selling your 3DS about 2 weeks before the Mario game gets released. Makes perfect sense to me.

But didn't you see? The digital offerings are a joke! Why would you want Super Mario 3D Land or anything like that if they can't even get their digital shit straight?

Turnstyle

DavidDayton said:

Fair point, buuuut you know what? I've been playing Mario games for 20+ years. I've been there getting excited for every new mario game at each release. They don't interest me as much as they used to, sad to say.

I've owned my 3DS since June, and I really haven't been able to justify the purchase. In fact, I really regret buying it. One mario game isn't going to fix that. As someone with a mortgage and bills and all that fun stuff, I'd rather have the money.

So yes, I realise that my last post might have seemed hyperbolic, but I really didn't mean it to be.

DDayton

Turnstyle said:
Fair point, buuuut you know what? I've been playing Mario games for 20+ years. I've been there getting excited for every new mario game at each release. They don't interest me as much as they used to, sad to say.
I've owned my 3DS since June, and I really haven't been able to justify the purchase. In fact, I really regret buying it. One mario game isn't going to fix that. As someone with a mortgage and bills and all that fun stuff, I'd rather have the money.
So yes, I realise that my last post might have seemed hyperbolic, but I really didn't mean it to be.

Oh, I understand your point, it's just that of all times to be considering selling off one's 3DS, right before the November/December release schedule seems the most... puzzling.

But, well, that's just me.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
They had to wait till the VC is pretty much dead to bother and upgrade those classics with online play.... so much wasted potential.

M2 (or was it mtwo?) does what Nintendon't.

I guess the VC arcade online they did was a success (or the netcode is made, no extra effort). I'd love to see them go back and add the code to older VC games too
and 60Hz for Europe while they're at it!

sfog

Japan gets 7 Wii VC games next month.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/vc/lineup.html

Bomberman Hero (N64) and (I believe) Samurai Shodown IV or Sengoku (Neo) on 11/1, with the rest following:

Super Street Fighter II (MD)
Strider (MD)
Metal Max Returns (SFC)
World Heroes 2 (Neo)

plus something on the Famicom from Arc System Works that doesn't translate well (as Warriors die around the Quest).

Dave Long

Banned
Turnstyle said:
Fuck me, Nintendo's digital offering is such a joke. I haven't even turned on my 3DS since four swords came out.

Four Swords only came out a month ago. If you're really as busy as you say with mortgages and bills and the like, then I'm not sure how you have so much time to play videogames in the first place that you're just starving for digital downloads?

But whatevs, blow off steam on a videogame forum I guess? It's your 3DS, sell away!

sfog said:
Japan gets 7 Wii VC games next month.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/vc/lineup.html

Bomberman Hero (N64) and (I believe) Samurai Shodown IV or Sengoku (Neo) on 11/1, with the rest following:

Super Street Fighter II (MD)
Strider (MD)
Metal Max Returns (SFC)
World Heroes 2 (Neo)

plus something on the Famicom from Arc System Works that doesn't translate well (as Warriors die around the Quest).

Woah! what the hell brought the VC back to life in Japan?

All while we here in the US/EU get nothing :(

Turnstyle

Dave Long said:
Four Swords only came out a month ago. If you're really as busy as you say with mortgages and bills and the like, then I'm not sure how you have so much time to play videogames in the first place that you're just starving for digital downloads?

But whatevs, blow off steam on a videogame forum I guess? It's your 3DS, sell away!

Paying bills and stuff doesn't take any time at all. I can do it in minutes. Really. I'm great at it. However, it costs money. What I was getting at was that really, I have an expensive (well, when I bought it anyway...) handheld gaming console that doesn't have any games I'm interested in. My 3DS just laquishes at the bottom of my bag. I might as well sell it, and use that money for something a bit more useful (eg, bills).

If the virtual store was better, I would hang onto it. If there were more physical games I was interested, ditto.

But there isn't, and I find that frustrating.

Anyway, I'm not adding anything to this thread by complaining, so I'll quit now. I'm just annoyed with the lack of decent titles.

Roto13

I don't understand why someone would buy a handheld if there aren't enough games coming to justify it. I bought mine around the same time you did, in June, for Ocarina of Time 3D and Virtual Console games, which have been fine, knowing I probably wouldn't be buying anything besides Virtual Console games until Super Mario 3D Land. So why would you buy a 3DS if you're not looking forward to anything?

It's like those people who spent $600 on a PS3 at launch and didn't buy any games until Metal Gear Solid 4 a year and a half later.

Can someone tell me why the Nintendo upcoming game trailers are downloadable on the 3DS but every other trailer has to be streamed from the E-Shop?

Roto13

I would totally buy Crusader of Centy. I always meant to buy that game when the Genesis was still active but I never got around to it.

Roto13 said:
I would totally buy Crusader of Centy. I always meant to buy that game when the Genesis was still active but I never got around to it.
Centy and Ranger-X are probably the last two really great MD games that Sega's overlooked imo. At least in terms of stuff they own themselves, the utter lack of Konami games (RKA, Sparkster, Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra Hardcorps, TMNT HZH, Sunset Riders, etc) still hurts.

Sega gave up on Master System way too quick too. More stuff there would be great as well.

donny2112

Turnstyle said:

So, you bought it for $250. Will probably get $150 for it. (-$100)

If you never plan to own a 3DS regular system again. Fine. Sunk cost. Cut your losses now. If you ever plan on buying a 3DS again (e.g. after more games come out), then it'd probably be better to just keep your system. Saves you from having to pay $170 for it again in the future.

Unless it's a cathartic thing, like Stumpokapow says.

herod

I asked in another thread but I guess this is a much better place to ask:

I tried to use the 3DS for my DS backlog but I'm finding it a bit unsatisfactory and would rather pick up a DSi XL for the job. Can I transfer DSiWare purchases from a 3DS to a DSi? If not now, then I believe there is a firmware update this week, will it be possible then? Can't find specifics about it.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I can't check right now, but I don't think so.

Yo Europe - you're getting Adventure Island on 3DS VC this week, nothing else worth mentioning.

wsippel

Banned
herod said:

I tried to use the 3DS for my DS backlog but I'm finding it a bit unsatisfactory and would rather pick up a DSi XL for the job. Can I transfer DSiWare purchases from a 3DS to a DSi? If not now, then I believe there is a firmware update this week, will it be possible then? Can't find specifics about it.
No. Only DSi to 3DS, and 3DS to 3DS at the end of the month.

Roto13

herod said:

Nope. Games can only be transferred forward, not backwards.

herod

Thanks, I feared as much. Maybe I'll have a think about double dipping on some of the multiplayer titles, turn an annoying situation on its head.

Top Bottom