• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - October 2011

@MUWANdo

Banned
Baron said:
I can't believe some people actually consider buying the shovelware being released on the 3DS store.

Pyramids? A block-moving game, seriously? I paid $2.50 for Mercury Hg on PSN a couple days ago. And a couple weeks ago I bought four full-fledged Star Wars PSP games, including Force Unleashed, for $2.50 each as well. What is Nintendo thinking?

Nintendo didn't make it, Nintendo didn't set the price (well, not on their own).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Baron said:
I can't believe some people actually consider buying the shovelware being released on the 3DS store.

Pyramids? A block-moving game, seriously? I paid $2.50 for Mercury Hg on PSN a couple days ago. And a couple weeks ago I bought four full-fledged Star Wars PSP games, including Force Unleashed, for $2.50 each as well. What is Nintendo thinking?

Are you for real ? You are actin as if they are chargin 15 bucks for it. The game seems to be competent puzzler, sure its no must-have and it could be cheaper .... but still.

Baron

@MUWANdo said:
Nintendo didn't make it, Nintendo didn't set the price (well, not on their own).

Hey, I never said anything about Nintendo making it or setting the price. I'm just pointing out the price and quality level of competing portable software. And while Nintendo may not have made the game Pyramids, they are responsible for making their platform attractive as a venue for quality games. And frankly, they are failing hard at this.

Roto13

All of the games you bought were on sale, weren't they? And the Star Wars games were retail games that were $30-$40 when they came out?

Baron

Roto13 said:
All of the games you bought were on sale, weren't they? And the Star Wars games were retail games that were $30-$40 when they came out?

That is true, they all were on sale. But answer me this - when is the last time Nintendo had a sale on their download store? Any download store. Sale or not, I'm just pointing out that I am disappointed with Nintendo's downloadable offerings, quality and price wise. Surely you can't argue that they are doing better than their competitors?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Baron said:
That is true, they all were on sale. But answer me this - when is the last time Nintendo had a sale on their download store? Any download store. Sale or not, I'm just pointing out that I am disappointed with Nintendo's downloadable offerings, quality and price wise. Surely you can't argue that they are doing better than their competitors?

no that's true, the only thing they've done better than PSN/XBLA is classic releases. Their original content is pretty disappointing.

Roto13

Baron said:
No. But I can argue that it's not fair to complain that old games on sale are cheaper than new games.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I think there's been one sale in the history of Nintendo online stores. And that was Sega only or something.
MoxManiac said:
Another fail week
Yup.

The wait for a quality "3DSWare" release on eShop release hurts and seems like it will last quite a while.
I bet most releases will be mystery releases, much like DSiWare where games appeared out of nowhere.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Baron said:
Hey, I never said anything about Nintendo making it or setting the price. I'm just pointing out the price and quality level of competing portable software. And while Nintendo may not have made the game Pyramids, they are responsible for making their platform attractive as a venue for quality games. And frankly, they are failing hard at this.

The main problem at the moment is that many of those indies who want to release games for the eShop can't get devkits right now, and those that have them are playing their cards very close to their chest as that's how Nintendo likes it.

I'm not saying the store is perfect - fuck, it's not even good - but it's hard to truly evaluate the pros and cons of the store itself when there's barely anything on there to buy, and almost no third-party eShop software. People like to whine about one missing feature or another, but most of that stuff would fall by the wayside if the game library itself ever picks up.

The annoying part is that a lot of this reticence is brought on by devs/publishers worrying that 3DS sales won't pick up, so they delay the announcement/release of their games while they wait for the market to increase, but it never does because people don't see any games on the horizon. Seriously, indie dudes, if you've got something in the pipeline, start talking.

Baron

Roto13 said:
No. But I can argue that it's not fair to complain that old games on sale are cheaper than new games.

No, I'm not complaining that old games on sale are cheaper than new games. Rather, I'm disappointed that I can get a far superior game experience for the same price, and often cheaper, on a competing platform.

Baron

@MUWANdo said:
The main problem at the moment is that many of those indies who want to release games for the eShop can't get devkits right now, and those that have them are playing their cards very close to their chest as that's how Nintendo likes it.

Yeah, but it's not just indie developers, why haven't big developers even, say, ported PSN and XBLA games to the 3DS store? I'd love a portable Moon Diver or Pac-Man CE. Or Bionic Commando Rearmed! I could go on and on. It's a quick buck and it adds some quality to the store...but most of all they would be games released on the 3DS store. Which is needed desperately.

Baron said:
That is true, they all were on sale. But answer me this - when is the last time Nintendo had a sale on their download store? Any download store.
2009 I think. Some Genesis games went on sale for 500 points ($5 USD).

Baron said:
I'd love a portable Moon Diver or Pac-Man CE. Or Bionic Commando Rearmed! I could go on and on.
Pac-Man CE is one of the games included in Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions. I think Namco should seriously consider selling the games off that collection individually on the eShop.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Baron said:
Yeah, but it's not just indie developers, why haven't big developers even, say, ported PSN and XBLA games to the 3DS store? I'd love a portable Moon Diver or Pac-Man CE. Or Bionic Commando Rearmed! I could go on and on. It's a quick buck and it adds some quality to the store...but most of all they would be games released on the 3DS store. Which is needed desperately.

Like I said, it's entirely possible - probable, even - that they've got stuff in the works and they're just not talking about it. It's one of my big peeves with WiiWare/DSiWare - stuff either gets announced and never comes, or it only gets announced a few days before it's released. Capcom's been able to pre-emptively promote some of their VC stuff months in advance, but they're the only publisher that's ever really done so, including Nintendo themselves.

@MUWANdo said:
Like I said, it's entirely possible - probable, even - that they've got stuff in the works and they're just not talking about it. It's one of my big peeves with WiiWare/DSiWare - stuff either gets announced and never comes, or it only gets announced a few days before it's released. Capcom's been able to pre-emptively promote some of their VC stuff months in advance, but they're the only publisher that's ever really done so, including Nintendo themselves.
Sega did some early promotion recently for english Monster World IV and some arcade games. So did Aksys just recently with some DD games. Sunsoft did a bit too last year.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Yeah, but the Aksys stuff was literally "you're getting Double Dragon this week, America!" with absolutely no buildup or hype. Similarly, the Sega stuff was announced months and months ago and we've heard nothing since, and were barely given a concrete release window. Even Sunsoft was in the habit of springing stuff with no prior notice, and that was when they had Vic Ireland at the helm who was really pushing to make the most of VC/WiiWare. Until Nintendo starts being more forthcoming about the submission process then no-one's ever gonna have the latitude to promote their games the way they'd like to.

fernoca

PigSpeakers said:
I don't remember it saying GBA games specifically. It just said "Ambassador" games. So, maybe it only meant the NES games we'd already gotten?
Yep. Doesn't say about GBA games:

Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors: Link your Nintendo eShop account by October 27th to qualify for post-play surveys on the games eligible for the program.

Basically, it was a remidner to people that might have a Club Nintendo account, that had a 3DS and were part of the Ambassador Program; to link both accounts in order to earn the registration points for those (NES) games. Since, for example: someone can have a 3DS, download all the NES games and games from eShop in general and register retail games to Club Nintendo, but never link the account to the 3DS; so they won't qualify for any registration of downloadable stuff for that matter.

Pyramids looks interesting....hmm.

Roto13

Almost impulse bought Burger Time but I'm three cents short. :p Don't really feel like adding $5 to my account to spend three more cents on an impulse buy.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Roto13 said:
Almost impulse bought Burger Time but I'm three cents short. :p Don't really feel like adding $5 to my account to spend three more cents on an impulse buy.

Reeead this Nintendo

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
you can't really expect them to process a 3 cent credit card transaction.

Baron said:
Can you explain in more detail what you didn't like about Pyramids? I mean obviously you must have played it, because no sane person would ever be THAT critical about a game they've never even played before.

@MUWANdo said:
Yeah, but the Aksys stuff was literally "you're getting Double Dragon this week, America!" with absolutely no buildup or hype. Similarly, the Sega stuff was announced months and months ago and we've heard nothing since, and were barely given a concrete release window. Even Sunsoft was in the habit of springing stuff with no prior notice, and that was when they had Vic Ireland at the helm who was really pushing to make the most of VC/WiiWare. Until Nintendo starts being more forthcoming about the submission process then no-one's ever gonna have the latitude to promote their games the way they'd like to.
The Aksys announcement also included DD2 NES, which is coming later. Generally I agree with you though, I was hoping this is something that'd change for 3DS but that doesn't seem to really be the case. Not getting my hopes up for Wii U's VC. Where are my "summer" Game Gear games?

Even moving to the Japan model (announcements at beginning of month, some intermittently added during month) would be a decent improvement for NA/EU.

Roto13

The Thriller video in Nintendo Video is just a one-minute preview of the full version for sale in the eShop. I do not approve.

zigg

lunchwithyuzo said:
Pac-Man CE is one of the games included in Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions. I think Namco should seriously consider selling the games off that collection individually on the eShop.
Agreed. I suspect parts of that package could actually do reasonably well on their own... well, assuming an eShop consumer base interested in more than VC, at least.

Futureman

levious said:
you can't really expect them to process a 3 cent credit card transaction.

there wouldn't be a $0.03 transaction to process in the first place if you just paid what you had to each time.

BooJoh

Roto13 said:
The Thriller video in Nintendo Video is just a one-minute preview of the full version for sale in the eShop. I do not approve.
I feel the same. I was waiting and hoping they'd put it up for us to watch for a few days free, but I guess they consider that "premium" video content or something. If they want me to buy video off the eShop, get something more substantial in there like the Peanuts holiday specials or something. Not 5 minute long shorts for $2.

watershed

Banned
Well at least Nintendo is doing a few things right with the eshop, I got a spotpass notification telling me to go to the eshop for the thriller vids and that the trailers will expire soon. Nintendo should just send one notification every week telling us what the new games are or at least teasing them with the option to launch the eshop from there.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
BooJoh said:
I feel the same. I was waiting and hoping they'd put it up for us to watch for a few days free, but I guess they consider that "premium" video content or something. If they want me to buy video off the eShop, get something more substantial in there like the Peanuts holiday specials or something. Not 5 minute long shorts for $2.

...although you DO have to admit that you can understand the logic behind THIS one, right? DreamWorks has to pay royalties each time they use the Thriller music. Playing it for free costs them money. Their other titles contain no licensed material.

M3d10n

BooJoh said:
Is it really only 5 minutes? I expected it to be as long as the original, which is 14 minutes long.

BooJoh

M3d10n said:
Is it really only 5 minutes? I expected it to be as long as the original, which is 14 minutes long.
I don't know how long it is, I haven't seen it, but the other Dreamworks videos are pretty short and I'm just not sure they're worth $2. I'll probably bite if they put up something I'm more interested in, but I think $1 would've been a better price point for shorts.

jgkspsx

So, uh, is Pyramids actually 3D?

Might get Burger Time Deluxe... might not. I don't remember much about the GB one, but have always been frustrated by the arcade version.

Kerrby

Banned
Checked the eShop to get all excited when there's only Burger Time there.

One game in two weeks. Why do I get my hopes up every week?

Kerrby said:
Checked the eShop to get all excited when there's only Burger Time there.

One game in two weeks. Why do I get my hopes up every week?
I'm sure we've told you this many times before Kerrby, change your region to UK, the AUS eShop is a barren wasteland and not worth your money. Change to UK cause at least you'll get more games and it'll be slightly cheaper due to the exchange rate being awesome.

Kerrby

Banned
Worthintendo said:
I'm sure we've told you this many times before Kerrby, change your region to UK, the AUS eShop is a barren wasteland and not worth your money. Change to UK cause at least you'll get more games and it'll be slightly cheaper due to the exchange rate being awesome.

Yes but I have to put something like $13 on at one time as the minimum because of the exchange rate. It's not worth it in the end.

@MUWANdo

Banned
jgkspsx said:
So, uh, is Pyramids actually 3D?

Just barely, your dude will fly at/into the screen occasionally when he gets killed, that's about it. It wouldn't even make a particularly pretty DS game.

Roto13

Worthintendo said:
Then he'd have less reason to bitch, which means he'd have less reason to exist. Just put him on ignore. You won't miss anything important.

Kerrby said:
Yes but I have to put something like $13 on at one time as the minimum because of the exchange rate. It's not worth it in the end.
You spending 13 dollars on what you would be spending 15 dollars for on the Aus store. In the long run it ends out to be cheaper

Kerrby

Banned
Roto13 said:
Then he'd have less reason to bitch, which means he'd have less reason to exist. Just put him on ignore. You won't miss anything important.

I love it how you've put me on ignore after I've won our countless arguments, I knew you couldn't defend Nintendo any longer so that's why you stopped replying.

I've seen his photos too, makes me laugh even harder.

Worthintendo said:
You spending 13 dollars on what you would be spending 15 dollars for on the Aus store. In the long run it ends out to be cheaper

Are you sure that works out correctly? I thought that the prices were slightly higher and that it evened out.

Kerrby said:
Are you sure that works out correctly? I thought that the prices were slightly higher and that it evened out.
I'm honestly not sure how the pricing works out on the UK eShop, but on the Wii Shop 1000 points would equal 15 dollars in Aus and 8 Pounds which was roughly 13 AUS.

Even if its not slightly cheaper and the price evens out its still better to go with the UK shop if only for the extra content you get like all the great DSiWare games we didn't get like Shantae.

Kerrby

Banned
Worthintendo said:
I'm honestly not sure how the pricing works out on the UK eShop, but on the Wii Shop 1000 points would equal 15 dollars in Aus and 8 Pounds which was roughly 13 AUS.

Even if its not slightly cheaper and the price evens out its still better to go with the UK shop if only for the extra content you get like all the great DSiWare games we didn't get like Shantae.

Is there any risks involved like losing your games if you swap to the UK shop? I'm just a bit worried about losing my games if something happens seeing Nintendo doesn't even have an account system.

@MUWANdo

Banned
You won't lose your games, it even remembers how much currency you have in each region's wallet if you switch between them for whatever reason. The only penalty for switching is that it deletes any user reviews you made, and you have to re-sync your Club Nintendo account whenever you switch.

Javier

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/111028/05.html

Looks like the eShop is indeed getting a massive overhaul. Demos, DLC and queued downloads are coming in the next update.

Several new functions will be added to the Nintendo eShop.
For one thing, after a software title is launched, content can be added to it via the Nintendo eShop. This is a feature a number of software creators have been looking forward to. With the Nintendo 3DS system update this time, we can create that desired circumstance, so we should see an increase in the number of applicable software titles that will be launched from now on.

Another addition is the ability for the software publishers to provide the owners of Nintendo 3DS systems with demo versions of their software, for which they can put a limit on the number of trials. As you may know by now, the player reviews available at the Nintendo eShop have high credibility since only those who have played the subject software for one hour or more are eligible to cast a vote. More than one million reviews have been contributed to date worldwide. By combining this existing review mechanism with the demo versions, we would like to continue our endeavors to expand the number of opportunities for consumers to be able to notice the potential and appeal of new software titles.

In terms of its usability, we know that there still are several issues with the Nintendo eShop. We have made several improvements for this time. For example, software downloads can be done when Nintendo 3DS is in sleep mode, which will lessen the need for the users to patiently wait by while downloading several software titles at once or while downloading software with a large memory capacity.

Although this next feature is not going to be available with the next system update, we are now preparing for the Nintendo eShop to be available on the Web so that you can access it via PCs or smartphones too. As of now, the information available on our Nintendo eShop, including the reviews that I mentioned just now, is only available at the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS and it does not have a great affinity with the social media which are currently being used as a means to spread information. In other words, even if a software title receives an incredible review, majority of people will not know about it unless they access the Nintendo eShop with their Nintendo 3DS system.

We would like to solve this issue by making the Nintendo eShop accessible via PCs and smartphones as well. At the beginning, you will not be able to directly purchase software from your PC or smartphone. Instead, you will need to take a photo of a QR code at the Nintendo eShop by using the camera of your Nintendo 3DS. The Nintendo 3DS will then open that specific page of the Nintendo eShop. That function is already included in the upcoming system update for the Nintendo 3DS. In the future, we will make it so that you will be able to purchase software by using your PC or smartphone

watershed

Banned
Lol this news is in like 3 or 4 threads atm.

Edit: Also as nice as some of this stuff sounds, not the crappy QR code part, I'm sure Nintendo will still mess up the execution somewhere.

maeda

When the fuck will we get actual games, Nintendo? For example, those 3D Classics you shamelessly showed 2 years ago at E3...

@MUWANdo

Banned
maeda said:
When the fuck will we get actual games, Nintendo? For example, those 3D Classics you shamelessly showed 2 years ago at E3...

Those weren't actually games, just static screenshots rendered in stereoscopic 3D.

Top Bottom