• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - October 2011

Stumpokapow said:
How many times do you expect to listen to a song / how many times do you expect to watch the video

How many devices can you listen to the song on / how many devices can you watch the video on

;)
Hey Stump, why is your name showing up as blue for me? I almost thought you were demodded, but then other people said your name was still red for them...

Edit: sorry for taking up the top of a page with an off-topic post. Here's something on-topic: seeing this thread again reminded me that I still need to find a wi-fi hotspot that I can get on with my DSi to download 4 Swords...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
cooljeanius said:
Hey Stump, why is your name showing up as blue for me? I almost thought you were demodded, but then other people said your name was still red for them...

As far as I know, nothing is going on. :p

blu said:
I can think of one company which made a killing selling $2-a-pop tunes which were locked down to the company's proprietary tune players. Can you? ; )

None off the top of my head. I can think of a company that makes a killing selling $1-$1.30-a-pop tunes which are DRM free, and sometime in prehistory when the market didn't even exist they used to make a killing selling $1 tunes which were locked down to either their proprietary tune player OR any computer on earth OR could be burnt to a CD and played in any CD player but it's kinda moot because they hated that system and we hated that system and that system is gone and we don't need to use it as a point of comparison in 2011 ;)

Somnid

Stump's right, a better comparison is probably iTunes movie rentals. But I also think the device support argument isn't especially compelling. 3D viewing options are rather limited.

Deku

Banned
They need to adjust pricing but I've disliked how Nintendo video is so limited.

If they plan to release their other works as downloadables, it will open up the video service more as a promotional tool.

That said, there needs to be a way to file all videos into a folder so they aren't so cluttered on the home screen and videos should be made free/cheaper than the current $1.99 pricing.

These Dreamworks shorts I can sort of understand, they did a press release and all and were apparently custom made for Nintendo.

Kerrby

Banned
cooljeanius said:
Edit: sorry for taking up the top of a page with an off-topic post.

You better be sorry. You ruined my question!

-----

Did the Europe/Australian eShop not get updated last night or was there literally nothing that came out?

watershed

Banned
Deku said:
They need to adjust pricing but I've disliked how Nintendo video is so limited.

If they plan to release their other works as downloadables, it will open up the video service more as a promotional tool.

That said, there needs to be a way to file all videos into a folder so they aren't so cluttered on the home screen and videos should be made free/cheaper than the current $1.99 pricing.

These Dreamworks shorts I can sort of understand, they did a press release and all and were apparently custom made for Nintendo.

Nah, they weren't custom made for Nintendo they're just premiering first on the 3ds before they are released anywhere else iirc.

The $1.99 thing is interesting, Nintendo seems to be trying to establish that as the lowest price for any non-free content on the eshop. I think it goes back to Iwata saying they don't want to get into the 99 cent race. They want $1.99 to be the 3ds' 99c price point.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
With all the free ambassador nes games and the preview game trailers, Nintendo really needs to start thinking about a folder system. Right now.

What really bothers me about the video thing is just how inconsistent it is. You have the Nintendo Videos (which sometimes includes trailers), then you have free video trailers in the shop as downloadables, and THEN you have other videos (like the Nintendo show 3d (strangely I like it a lot and which is released more often)) which is streaming 3d. On top of that you have all the 2d and 3d video trailers within the games' info pages. Now we have for pay videos as downloadables. It's just so over the place.

(I'm not including Netflix because that doesn't count, it's its own service.)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Stumpokapow said:
None off the top of my head. I can think of a company that makes a killing selling $1-$1.30-a-pop tunes which are DRM free..
Some 6 years into the service's life, yes. By that time iTunes was already making a killing with its well-DRM'd model.

..and sometime in prehistory when the market didn't even exist they used to make a killing selling $1 tunes..
Yes, the $2-a-pop where the music videos, my bad.

..which were locked down to either their proprietary tune player OR any computer on earth OR could be burnt to a CD and played in any CD player but it's kinda moot because they hated that system and we hated that system and that system is gone and we don't need to use it as a point of comparison in 2011 ;)
Surely we hated it. And so did the service's millions of users. I just don't get why we don't need to use it for comparison. Because the system did not make a killing in its original heavily locked-down form, or?

Also, I'm sure the burning of tunes onto a CD was a big deal in the ipod-driven market. But I'll give you the 'any computer on earth', of course as long as it ran macos or windows, and was one of the 4 (IIRC) authorized machines by the DRM scheme.

zigg

Videos in my view are a whole different animal than games; along with e-books, music, and any other generic formats for which there's no actual technical or design obstacle to getting them on any device, I've never bought them where they're locked down because I figure that takes too much away from their value. I even avoid Blu-rays unless they're really cheap or include a DVD, because I hate being locked down to the plasma. (I have bought a ton of MP3s, many from eMusic before they finally attracted major labels, which amusingly lowered the value proposition for me, at least temporarily... thinking of going back there though.)

I suspect 3D isn't enough rebalance that value equation for me, either—maybe there's a must-have video out there that's worth a couple bucks to own on 3DS, but I cannot for the life of me think of what it is.

As for the reworking of the store content: it does make it cleaner, but make no mistake, that's a content policy decision, not an "update". There is no new feature that I can see, and I suspect that would have to be delivered in a system update anyway.

Roto13

Hulu Plus is coming to Wii and 3DS:

Hulu Plus: With Hulu Plus, Wii and Nintendo 3DS users will be able to instantly stream thousands of TV episodes – including the entire current season of popular shows like Modern Family, Glee, Dancing with the Stars, The Biggest Loser, House and Grey’s Anatomy – from premium content partners like ABC, Comedy Central, FOX, NBC, MTV and many more. Hulu Plus also offers access to classic TV favorites like Lost, Battlestar Galactica, The Hills and hundreds of popular and award-winning movies. Hulu Plus is available through a separate subscription fee of $7.99 per month with limited advertising.
Also some actual 3DSWare games, including that cute block-pushing game. (And a messaging system.)
Games Coming to the Nintendo eShop:

Freakyforms™: Your Creations, Alive! lets players create creatures and bring them to life. This game is all about creation, customization and exploration. Available in November for $6.99.
Developed with 3D game play in mind, Pushmo™ asks players to solve more than 250 puzzles by pulling and pushing blocks. Players can also create their own custom puzzles. Launches in December.
Swapnote™ gives Nintendo 3DS owners the chance to send 3D messages to their friends via the SpotPass™ and StreetPass features. Users can hand-write messages in 3D and also include picture and sound. Available for free download in December.
Dillon’s Rolling Western™ is a 3D tower defense game that blends action and strategy. It features an armadillo who defends an Old West town rendered in 3D by literally rolling over his enemies. Launches in Q1 2012.

And more video news:

3D Animation: Starting today, Nintendo 3DS owners can visit the Nintendo eShop and, for $1.99, download a new 3D “Thriller” video that features singing and dancing by their favorite Shrek characters from DreamWorks Animation.

3D Music Videos: Fans of the Nintendo Video service on Nintendo 3DS will soon see the arrival of new 3D music videos, including “Don’t Stop (Color on the Walls)” from Foster the People’s Torches album.

This is all from a press release.

blu

Thanks a bunch, nintendo, but Swapnote should've been a system service, usable in game-suspend mode. Like the browser, you know.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
blu said:
Thanks a bunch, nintendo, but Swapnote should've been a system service, usable in game-suspend mode. Like the browser, you know.

Everything should be a system service, there are no shortages of portable device multitasking models and memory swap models to choose from, and like all of those devices, the 3DS is a closed system so there's no reason why they can't compel all software to obey any multitasking API or system level thing they implement :p

@MUWANdo

Banned
Crossposting from the conference thread - the NOE press release has dates and prices for a lot of those eShop games, as well as one not revealed by either NOJ or NOA - 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure! November 17, €6. Can't cut/paste right now, sorry.

@MUWANdo said:
Crossposting from the conference thread - the NOE press release has dates and prices for a lot of those eShop games, as well as one not revealed by either NOJ or NOA - 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure! November 17, €6. Can't cut/paste right now, sorry.
whoa whoa what

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Given that most of this is download related..

NoE Press Release:

October 21, 2011 - Nintendo 3DS ™ owners will soon be 3D video 's record, new puzzles to try to pass the street Mii park and several new Nintendo 3DS download games. It also displays new content from vendors such as Red Bull, Eurosport and Aardman Animations.
The Nintendo 3DS system update for late November, Nintendo 3DS owners access to a range of new features and enhancements, including 3D video recording "s. Allows users to 3D video 's of up to ten minutes or record their own 3D stop-motion animation to make. The update also adds new puzzles to Puzzle Swap in the street passing Mii park and a new dungeon in the street passing game Mii in squalor. Other features will be announced later.

Laurent Fischer, Managing Director, Marketing & PR of Nintendo of Europe: "We always strive to give our fans great experience, and that's exactly what we do with these new features and functions for the Nintendo 3DS. We look forward to the great titles we launch in the coming months, such as Super Mario Land 3D ™ on November 18 and Super Mario Kart ™ and Pokémon ™ 7 Rumble on December 2. "

The spot Pass ™ feature of the Nintendo 3DS allows users different content automatically receive their Nintendo 3DS, eg 3D video 's Video ™ for Nintendo, reports, additional content for software and system updates. Soon a series of unique 3-D video of Red Bull and spectacular sports video WATTS 's Eurosport to download and view 3D on the Nintendo 3DS. Early next year on top of that a series of hilarious and exclusive Shaun the Sheep 3D movies from Aardman, the makers of Wallace and Gromit.

Besides the system update of the Nintendo 3DS system and the series of 3D content that users receive pass through spot, Nintendo also adds some new Nintendo 3DS titles to the Nintendo eShop.

Games that come to the Nintendo eShop: Freaky Forms ™: Your Creations Alive!: Encourages your imagination free rein. Create your own "Formes" from scratch and begin an exploration of a planet full of wonderful surprises. During your quest you will gain access to dozens of new body parts for your creations, and you get even the ability to change the world around you. Share your favorite Formes with others through street Pass ™ and QR codes. Available from November 10, 2011 for € 6, -.

3D Classics Kirby's Adventure ™: one of the best games for the NES returns as part of the 3D Classics series. You see Dreamland for the first time come to life in stunning 3D graphics. Available from November 17, 2011 for € 6, -.

Pullblox ™: a unique blend of puzzle and platform elements, which blocks you need to move one step towards your goal form. There are over 250 levels to your brain and skill to the test set. You can also design your own puzzles and share with other players. Available from December 2011 for € 6, -.

Nintendo ™ Mailbox: exchange messages with friends and pass through street Spot Pass. You can even create your own 3D photo "s and voice recordings along with their messages. Freely available from December 2011.

Dillon's Western Rolling ™: role of a cowboy armadillo on your enemies. Strategy and action come together in a Wild West adventure like you never seen before. Comes in the first quarter of 2012 available.

Remember that the more than 1000 games, already released for the Nintendo DS ™ and Nintendo DSi ™, also playable on the Nintendo 3DS. With function "parental control" parents to decide what content their children access. Nintendo gives every player the
choice of their games in 2D or 3D to play, thanks to the 3D slider is easy to adjust the level of the 3D effect to change or turn it off. For more information about these and other features to www.nintendo3ds.nl.

NoA Press Release

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo 3DS™ and Wii™ owners will soon have the ability to access even more of their favorite TV shows and movies: the Hulu Plus service will be added to both systems by the end of the year. Nintendo is also announcing new features being added to the Nintendo 3DS system, including the ability to record 3D videos, new musical artists coming to Nintendo Video™ and a new animated 3D video from DreamWorks Animation SKG, Inc. Additionally, Nintendo 3DS owners will soon see four inventive downloadable Nintendo-published games and applications delivered to the Nintendo eShop, the portable one-stop shop for fun, cool and interesting entertainment options.

“Nintendo 3DS continues to evolve with great new features and functions designed to reinforce its position as a premiere entertainment device,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “All of these features, in addition to great upcoming games like Pokémon Rumble Blast on Oct. 24, Super Mario 3D Land on Nov. 13 and Mario Kart 7 on Dec. 4, make Nintendo 3DS a smart gift option this holiday season.”

Hulu Plus: With Hulu Plus, Wii and Nintendo 3DS users will be able to instantly stream thousands of TV episodes – including the entire current season of popular shows like Modern Family, Glee, Dancing with the Stars, The Biggest Loser, House and Grey’s Anatomy – from premium content partners like ABC, Comedy Central, FOX, NBC, MTV and many more. Hulu Plus also offers access to classic TV favorites like Lost, Battlestar Galactica, The Hills and hundreds of popular and award-winning movies. Hulu Plus is available through a separate subscription fee of $7.99 per month with limited advertising.

Nintendo 3DS System Update: At the end of November, a new system update will deliver a range of cool new features and enhancements, including 3D video capture, which will let users record up to 10 minutes of 3D video and enable people to create their own 3D stop-motion animation videos. The update will also add new puzzles to the StreetPass™ Mii Plaza™ and a new dungeon to Find Mii. Other features will be announced in the future.

Games Coming to the Nintendo eShop:

Freakyforms™: Your Creations, Alive! lets players create creatures and bring them to life. This game is all about creation, customization and exploration. Available in November for $6.99.
Developed with 3D game play in mind, Pushmo™ asks players to solve more than 250 puzzles by pulling and pushing blocks. Players can also create their own custom puzzles. Launches in December.
Swapnote™ gives Nintendo 3DS owners the chance to send 3D messages to their friends via the SpotPass™ and StreetPass features. Users can hand-write messages in 3D and also include picture and sound. Available for free download in December.
Dillon’s Rolling Western™ is a 3D tower defense game that blends action and strategy. It features an armadillo who defends an Old West town rendered in 3D by literally rolling over his enemies. Launches in Q1 2012.
3D Animation: Starting today, Nintendo 3DS owners can visit the Nintendo eShop and, for $1.99, download a new 3D “Thriller” video that features singing and dancing by their favorite Shrek characters from DreamWorks Animation.

3D Music Videos: Fans of the Nintendo Video service on Nintendo 3DS will soon see the arrival of new 3D music videos, including “Don’t Stop (Color on the Walls)” from Foster the People’s Torches album.

To watch a new episode of Iwata Asks in which Nintendo President Satoru Iwata discusses Mario Kart 7, visit http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/3ds/mario-kart-7. To watch a Nintendo Direct video of Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime discussing today’s announcements, visit http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo_direct.

So again diffrent names from NoA/NoE for the same titles ? So stupid.

Remember that Wii and Nintendo 3DS feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wii or http://www.nintendo.com/3ds. For more information about Nintendo, visit http://www.nintendo.com.

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's on the Nintendo UK news page, crappy phone won't let me copy the link or cut/paste the article. EDIT thanks dude above me^^

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
@MUWANdo said:

Now, that, I will buy.

Roto13

Apparently people in Japan (and maybe the rest of the world) who register two Nintendo games this Christmas get a free copy of 3D Classics Kid Icarus, too, which hadn't been announced yet.

http://www.1up.com/news/nintendo-3ds-press-conference-recap-special-edition-mario-3ds

So 3D Classics Kirby's Adventure (so bought) and 3D Classics Kid Icarus. I thought they weren't going to do games with lots of backgrounds because it was too much work. This changes everything. :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
3D Classics Kid Icarus was apparently confirmed in the NCL Presser, but has no mention in either of the others.

edit: Damn it, Roto.

Somnid

Stumpokapow said:
Everything should be a system service, there are no shortages of portable device multitasking models and memory swap models to choose from, and like all of those devices, the 3DS is a closed system so there's no reason why they can't compel all software to obey any multitasking API or system level thing they implement :p

It's like PS3 adding cross-game voice chat, only if there is a specific hardware layer abstraction, and only if they have the resources to do so. What they can't do is say, hey you now have 10% less RAM and old games don't suspend anymore.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Somnid said:
It's like PS3 adding cross-game voice chat, only if there is a specific hardware layer abstraction, and only if they have the resources to do so. What they can't do is say, hey you now have 10% less RAM and old games don't suspend anymore.

Thing is, the OS supposedly has its own dedicated 32MB RAM cache, but if the OS isn't gonna be used for anything then what's the point?

OOT3D and (I think) Star Fox disable SpotPass stuff when you're playing 'em anyway, and Nintendo claims it's a deliberate choice on the part of the devs to do so (although they haven't said why), so if this becomes a habit then it won't matter either way.

blu

Somnid said:
They don't have to break old games. If a web browser can run with those old games suspended on the background, so should a friggin pictochat with attachments.

blu

Nuclear Muffin said:
Don't forget that awesome looking Samurai game and that Thruspace sequel that was announced as well!
The recoup from the 1st Nintendo Direct & corresponding regional PRs for me is:

* release dates for what's coming over the holidays in my region (a generally good thing)
* 4 3DSware games I'm interested in coming soon to a region near me (good thing, but where's the quantity?)
* new quests for Mii Plaza (minor thing, but I tend to fancy such stuff)
* a half-arsed video recording app (no simple web uploads - no interest, or did I miss something?)
* a still-born messaging app (useless).

It could've been worse, I guess.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Don't forget that awesome looking Samurai game and that Thruspace sequel that was announced as well!
Thruspace sequel? Sweet! The original is one of the many great Wiiware gems that noone know about.

zigg

Some good stuff coming down the pike. I'll probably get KA since it's the best traditional Kirby. :D

Roto13 said:
So 3D Classics Kirby's Adventure (so bought) and 3D Classics Kid Icarus. I thought they weren't going to do games with lots of backgrounds because it was too much work. This changes everything. :p

They're still all a lot of work. This changes nothing.

To hit on this old point:
Father_Brain said:
Picture Lives/Creatoy will be released in PAL territories as Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!
Given the NOA press release calls it (see post EvilMario made) that I guess NOA thought they should be more like NOE *trollface*
except you know the behavior people wanted (releasing Xenoblade etc).

Does Ikimonodzukuri even translate to Picture Lives? I know Picture Lives was the US working title at least.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
zigg said:

It means they're will to go out of their way to make more than the most simplistic titles available (regarding Kirby's Adventure at least).

I hope sales for the 3D Classics are good enough to convince Nintendo that they need to do another batch. I'd be willing to pay a higher price for more advanced titles.

Oh maaaaaaan! This is my favorite Kirby game!! So bought.

Kid Icarus? Not so much. I could never get very far in that game.

With the swapnote thing, did they really go into much detail. Is it really gonna work like we're all hoping it will where we can send messages to people, sort of like Pictochat? Did they say whether we'd be able to message people on our friend's list over the internet?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Ugh, the NoE name changes are still going strong. Did they really change Dillon's Rolling Western to Dillon's Western Rolling? Nintendo Mailbox/Swapnote? They are all so arbitrary. Why can't they just keep the same name across Western markets?

You know what? Don't make a motherfucking 3D system and announce classics remade in 3D if you're just going to bitch about how hard it is and hardly release any worthwhile games for it.

/rant

And yes, I fully intend to put my money where my mouth is and purchase Kirby day one because I want to see Zelda/Mario/Metroid/Mega Man (especially Mega Man) in 3D.

Roto13

zigg said:
Some good stuff coming down the pike. I'll probably get KA since it's the best traditional Kirby. :D

I didn't say because they're a lot of work, I said because they're too much work. Obviously more backgrounds = more work.

The previous assumption was that we would only see small games and not games with relatively large game worlds and lots of different assets.

donny2112

Just finished watching the Shrek Thriller video. (Probably required license, which is why it's only available for purchase and hasn't been on Nintendo Video.)
Puss takes Vincent's spoken parts. Lots of cameos of dead people from previous Shrek movies.
If you like Shrek, and you like the Thriller MJ video, it should be worth a buy. :)

Note:
It apparently comes with the Dreamworks 2-pack Halloween DVD released last month, so if you want it in 2-D, you can get that. Hopefully some of the other videos from that 2-pack (like the prequel to The Night of the Living Carrots) come out in 3-D for download, too.

Metroid II still isn't on the VC? Oh well, 'cuz last week I got this in the mail:

Metroid1.jpg

Metroid2.jpg

It's an absolute joy to play on my second revision GBA, the resolution pops and the system ROM adds a nice proper color scheme to it:

Metroid3.jpg

Only downside of course is the old school GB cartridge sticking out, but no big deal.

@MUWANdo

Banned
There's a new Mighty Switch Force trailer on the eShop, so sayeth the MSF twitter, but it only shows up if you search. No idea if it's on both the NA and Euro stores.

@MUWANdo said:
There's a new Mighty Switch Force trailer on the eShop, so sayeth the MSF twitter, but it only shows up if you search. No idea if it's on both the NA and Euro stores.
The trailer is up in the US eshop, it looks great! Why the fuck does Nintendo even bother adding trailers to the eshop if they're going to make it impossible to actually find them???

zigg

nincompoop said:
The trailer is up in the US eshop, it looks great! Why the fuck does Nintendo even bother adding trailers to the eshop if they're going to make it impossible to actually find them???

Fuck the trailer. I want the game now.

@MUWANdo

Banned
nincompoop said:

I think they uploaded it earlier than they'd initially planned for some reason, it'll probably pop up on the front page eventually. Maybe. I'm stuck with the Aussie store for the next week or so so it means nothing to me either way, because we won't get it at all.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This week in Europe:

vYU92.png

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

• BurgerTime Deluxe (G-Mode | Game Boy | €3.00 | £2.60) Upcoming (10/27)

Wii | WiiWare

• Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove: Monster Mix (Natsume | 500 Points) Upcoming (10/27)

• Kyotokei (Microforum | Demo Version) Upcoming (10/27)

Nintendo DSi | DSiWare

• Halloween: Trick or Treat (Microvalue | 800 Points | €8.00 | £7.20) Upcoming (10/27)

sfog

Nuclear Muffin said:
How's the GB version of this game? Good?

Yeah, it's pretty decent, and I say that as someone who doesn't care much for the original arcade game. Burgertime Deluxe basically keeps the same design and core mechanics as the original arcade game and its ports, but it has more varied level design and has less unforgiving difficulty. Your movement is faster and less stiff than in the original releases, powerups and pepper refills are more common, enemies are a bit slower, and a password feature was added to resume after every few levels. I'm not sure how many levels it has in total (around 24 or so?), as I haven't spent a lot of time with it.

sfog said:
Yeah, it's pretty decent, and I say that as someone who doesn't care much for the original arcade game. Burgertime Deluxe basically keeps the same design and core mechanics as the original arcade game and its ports, but it has more varied level design and has less unforgiving difficulty. Your movement is faster and less stiff than in the original releases, powerups and pepper refills are more common, enemies are a bit slower, and a password feature was added to resume after every few levels. I'm not sure how many levels it has in total (around 24 or so?), as I haven't spent a lot of time with it.

Sounds good to me! Could do with a portable version...

Top Bottom