• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - October 2011

Roto13 said:
This week we're getting Game Boy Double Dragon on 3DS, Castle Conqueror Revolution on DSiWare, and Fish Tank on WiiWare. (I'm assuming Fish Tank is exactly what it says on the can. :p)
It's actually a match 3 puzzle game, though I'm not sure if that's any better than it being a fish tank simulator or not.

JazzmanZ

EvilMario said:
What happened to having full movies available to download? I know it was promoted as such when Nintendo was first showing off the 3DS. I guess that dream is dead.

The miracle never happened

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Huh? Who had the brilliant idea that those videos could sell for anything, let alone $2? And aren't they up anywhere else (for free)?

Anyway, I would pay up to $7.99 for a full film.

SmokyDave said:
It came out on iOS two days ago, priced at £1.49. I don't know if that is connected at all.

Probably not. Also, D-pad tax.

Roto13

Stumpokapow said:
who the fuck would pay $2 for low quality novelty short videos, and why the fuck should we have to pay money to keep them when they were free to watch before now?
That's like asking why you're expected to buy DVDs of TV shows that where on the air for free.

These aren't really worth any money though.

OnPoint

sfog said:
Also, the 3D Pixel Racing demo has been removed from the US Wii shop.

This is only bad because now people can't get a glimpse of just how awful the game is, unless they happen across my review on Google.

sfog

OnPoint said:
This is only bad because now people can't get a glimpse of just how awful the game is, unless they happen across my review on Google.

Seriously. The game has a nice style and seems to have a good amount of content for $5 by WiiWare standards, but those motion-based steering controls (with no D-pad or CC support) are basically unusable.

Demos are usually up for only 4 weeks, as this one was, so I doubt the iOS release had anything to do with its removal.

OnPoint

sfog said:
Seriously. The game has a nice style and seems to have a good amount of content for $5 by WiiWare standards, but those motion-based steering controls (with no D-pad or CC support) are basically unusable.

Demos are usually up for only 4 weeks, as this one was, so I doubt the iOS release had anything to do with its removal.

Yeah, the controls are the biggest issue by far. Then there's the fact that you can't even drive more than a foot off the road without being respawned and the unflinching AI racers who are on predetermined ghost routes.

I really wanted to like this one... adding extra control support like you suggested would have brought this one up at least a little bit and made it fun to play, even if it was still bad. But with the controls the way they are it's nearly unplayable.

krumble

Pyramids is quite fun (euro shop)
Can't believe that dsi checkers is £4.50!!

Love the two developer interviews for mario kart 7 and mario 3d land
REALLY hyped for mario kart after all the info about online options

Zelda 4swords advert, cool, hoping they have also shot a skyward sword advert to keep in with the series

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Roto13 said:
That's like asking why you're expected to buy DVDs of TV shows that where on the air for free.

No, it's not, because TV shows that air 'for free' are subsidized by advertising, and you're free and able to record them when they air rather than buy them while you can't save the Nintendo Video ones, and because aerial TV predates the time where it was possible for individuals to save permanent copies of media for their households while Nintendo Video is about 5 years behind the video craze, and presumably because there is enough to content to the episode or season to be worth buying while these are 2 minute Youtube clips :p

Lonely1 said:
Probably not. Also, D-pad tax.

What D-pad tax? The game is motion controlled only. The iOS version is actually the superior version here pretty indisputably ;)

Stumpokapow said:
who the fuck would pay $2 for low quality novelty short videos, and why the fuck should we have to pay money to keep them when they were free to watch before now?
Probably because it was part of getting Dreamworks to support Nintendo Video. That and these shorts are part of a two-disc halloween movie collection by Dreamworks and were never planned to be free.

Oh and Cut the Rope DSiWare comes out next week.

Roto13

Stumpokapow said:
No, it's not, because TV shows that air 'for free' are subsidized by advertising, and you're free and able to record them when they air rather than buy them while you can't save the Nintendo Video ones, and because aerial TV predates the time where it was possible for individuals to save permanent copies of media for their households while Nintendo Video is about 5 years behind the video craze, and presumably because there is enough to content to the episode or season to be worth buying while these are 2 minute Youtube clips :p
Well now you're just caviling.

giggas

Was really hoping for Metroid II this week. Oh well... I can always just bust out the original and play it on Super GB.

But I wanted to play Metroid II when I'm making potty breaks at work.

Dave Long

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
What D-pad tax? The game is motion controlled only. The iOS version is actually the superior version here pretty indisputably ;)
Heh... regardless of controls, I like the phrase D-pad Tax.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
FYI: there's a very nice interview on the EU eShop's video 'shelf' with RedLynx, creators of MotoHeroz. That game is so bought the moment I re-connect my Wii to the intrawebz.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Still baffled that people haven't grasped the concept of Nintendo Video. It's just Netflix streaming but for smaller 3D videos and FREE. You can't save Netflix videos and keep them permanently. Netfllix videos expire after a certain time, too. Content is constantly being removed from Netflix servers. It's the same exact thing with Nintendo Video and did I mention it's FREE!? Stop complaining about FREE stuff.

mclem

It's... not a very good FREE service, though. Yes, it's FREE, and that's nice. But it's still fair to say it's not a very good free service.

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
who the ... would pay $2 for low quality novelty short videos,

It's Dreamworks Monsters vs. Aliens and Shrek animations. I guess the "low quality" part comes from the screen resolution? Oh, and I plan on buying them to keep. I've wanted 3D movies on the 3DS from Day 1. :p

Wouldn't pay for anything else they've had on Nintendo Video, but those are nice. The Carrot one better include both parts for $2, or I'll just be getting the Shrek one, though.

Stumpokapow said:
why the ... should we have to pay money to keep them when they were free to watch before now?

Try before you buy. It was a teaser to give those of us who want 3D movie content on the 3DS a chance to see how it works before buying straight out.

If full 3D movies eventually come out for $20 or less, that'll be good. :)

Stumpokapow said:
these are 2 minute Youtube clips :p

The Dreamworks animation videos are 6+ minutes. Again, wouldn't pay a dime for the other videos on the service, and those are around 2-4 minutes, yes.

VideoMan said:
Stop complaining about FREE stuff.

They're complaining about paying $2 to keep the FREE (but temporary) stuff around permanently.

Roto13

The eShop image for those Dreamworks videos say they star "Shrek, Fiona, and more." I guess Shrek and Fiona are in the mysterious third video?

I got Double Dragon. It feels a bit slower than the NES one and it doesn't have leveling, which is a good thing. It is basically a reworked version of the NES. It plays almost exactly the same, but the stages are mostly different. It is also hard as fuck, has some annoying platforming (in a beat 'em up yes), no cheats, and no continues. I guess I'll have to cheese my way through it with restore points like I did with MegaMan.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I noticed that the screens for the different categories are a little different now. It's cleaner and more standard. It's much better than the random designs for everything.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
MasterShotgun said:
I noticed that the screens for the different categories are a little different now. It's cleaner and more standard. It's much better than the random designs for everything.
Revamped eShop update came early.

MasterShotgun said:

They also renamed Virtual Console to Classic Games. I guess more people will understand what Classic Games are than Virtual Console. I doubt most regular people even know what a console is. The VC name had grown on me though.

Javier

Well, Nintendo Video is IP locked down here, so I'm at least glad there's an option that allows me to watch the videos, even if it means paying.

And I don't know about you, but I would definitely pay $2 to watch and keep the Kid Icarus anime videos.

So I realize that us Ambassadors received the 10 NES games and will receive 10 GBA before the end of the year but I don't understand why they haven't started selling NES games on the e-Store yet. Game Boy every frickin week. It's getting ridiculous.

Effect

You could always make the song comparison. A single song can be $.99. These shorts are what twice as long, animated, in 3D and genuinely good. $2 doesn't seem like to much when looking at it that way. Not saying I'd buy it but don't think the price is crazy. If I really liked one I'd want to keep it around for a repeat viewing if the desire showed up. The question is are they exclusive to the eShop and Nintendo Video (temporary and possibly apart of the rotation but you never know when it shows up again). If they appear somewhere else for free then maybe there would be problem.

Roto13

When they start releasing NES games it will probably be one NES game a week and some DSiWare instead of one Game Boy game a week and some DSiWare. I'd rather they stick to Game Boy games for a while longer.

wsippel

Banned
ClovingSteam said:
So I realize that us Ambassadors received the 10 NES games and will receive 10 GBA before the end of the year but I don't understand why they haven't started selling NES games on the e-Store yet. Game Boy every frickin week. It's getting ridiculous.
The emulator is still in beta and not ready for public consumption, according to Nintendo. Also, I assume they've noticed by now that the eShop is already terribly confusing and hard to navigate even with the limited content available, so they need a far better organized store first.

If I remember correctly, Sega actually planned to have a selection of Game Gear games available on 3DS VC day one, so there've been talks with Sega, and probably Konami (TG Express), SNK Playmore (NGP) and NBGI (Wonderswan), but we haven't seen or heard anything about that since the initial announcement. It's probably still in the cards, so I'll simply assume the horrible eShop structure was the reason for that delay as well.

Roto13

Did anyone else notice that there's a new episode of Nintendo Show 3D? Also the North American winners of that Zelda Flipnote contest are viewable in the eShop.

donny2112

donny2112 said:
The Carrot one better include both parts for $2,

It does. :) "This is a unified, single-download version of "Night of the Living Carrots" which was shown on Nintendo Video in two separate parts." It's 672 blocks and 12+ minutes.

Edit:
I think that works out to 84MBs?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Effect said:
You could always make the song comparison. A single song can be $.99. These shorts are what twice as long, animated, in 3D and genuinely good. $2 doesn't seem like to much when looking at it that way. Not saying I'd buy it but don't think the price is crazy. If I really liked one I'd want to keep it around for a repeat viewing if the desire showed up. The question is are they exclusive to the eShop and Nintendo Video (temporary and possibly apart of the rotation but you never know when it shows up again). If they appear somewhere else for free then maybe there would be problem.

How many times do you expect to listen to a song / how many times do you expect to watch the video

How many devices can you listen to the song on / how many devices can you watch the video on

;)

beje

Banned
donny2112 said:
It does. :) "This is a unified, single-download version of "Night of the Living Carrots" which was shown on Nintendo Video in two separate parts." It's 672 blocks.

Edit:
I think that works out to 84MBs?

Yup. 3DS "blocks" = megabits, so just divide by 8.

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
How many times do you expect to listen to a song / how many times do you expect to watch the video

How many devices can you listen to the song on / how many devices can you watch the video on

;)

It'd be like a song that's main draw was this built-in light display only playable on iLight. You may be able to get the song in another format playable in more areas, but the iLight version was only available from the Ipple Store for $2. If you really like the iLight technology and its done well in this song you don't hate, it may be worth the price to you.

Eh. I just want to be able to watch 3-D movies, and since I like Shrek/Mosters vs. Aliens animation characters and the 3-D is neat, it's worth buying these, too. Now if this was all that ever came out for 3DS, I'd be majorly let down, but I'm still expecting movies to come out eventually. Maybe physical retail instead of download, but that wouldn't be horrible to deal with.

beje said:
Yup. 3DS "blocks" = megabits, so just divide by 8.

Nice. Makes it easier to do conversions. Thanks!

I don't even care enough to actually watch most of the Nintendo Video stuff, much less download it to watch again, and even less to pay for it. I think the service would be better if it was game trailers and not the equivalent of the stupid Youtube video your friend posted on Facebook. I would pay for those Kid Icarus anime they're making though. See, that's something interesting because it's game related. The thing that bothers me about that video being up for sale is that it's right there in the middle of all the games. I really don't want to see the eShop start looking like the Xbox 360 dashboard with Axe bodywash ads and movie trailers everywhere. And it is kind of expensive compared to what you pay for 30 minute and hour long shows on other stores. But hey, if Dreamworks wants to charge for the things, they have every right to do so just like everyone selling games on the eShop.

Effect

A new episode of Nintendo Show 3D is up today as well. Showing off Pokemon Rumble Blast (code for a character), Spyro 3DS, Plants vs Zombies (download version), Dead or Alive Dimensions, and a gameplay video of Super Mario 3D Land as the exclusive clip.

Nice of them to add part 2 of Night of the Living Carrots to Nintendo Video without actually marking it as Part 2 inside the app. I thought they just updated to change the thumbnail. They've made more minor changes before...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Stumpokapow said:
By that logic people should never buy videos, or heck, movies.

I can think of one company which made a killing selling $2-a-pop tunes which were locked down to the company's proprietary tune players. Can you? ; )

Stumpokapow said:

;)

When I was a kid, I would watch Fantasia/Alice In Wonderland EVERY DAY. Kids might do that. I wouldn't though because the content doesn't appeal to me and I hardly ever purchase movies now. It's all rentals and netflix.I will listen to the same song hundreds of times as my itunes playcount list will tell you, though.

In other news... AW YEAH NINTENDO SHOW 3D!! I'll admit this show has grown on me. It has a weirder sense of humor than Nintendo Week, so it appeals to me. Updates aren't as often, sadly, but they actually have some decent content every time.

Top Bottom