• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - October 2011

Hobbun

AbsoluteZero said:
They'll continue onto the Wii U, I'm sure.

If that’s the case, then why hasn’t NA seen a game in at least a month (I actually think it’s been longer) and EU not one since June?

I hope you are right, but Nintendo certainly isn’t giving me any confidence they are continuing it.

SmokyDave

ghostmind said:
Not sure if this counts as a download, but my son enjoyed the Shrek "Three Little Pigs" Halloween short on the 3DS Video Channel. Apparently there is supposed to be a Monsters vs Aliens short coming soon.
I'm pretty sure that I noticed the 'Monsters Vs Aliens' short was up this morning.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Well, let's take a look at the two only real world examples so far....
You forgot Ferrari GT Evolution. £7.20 on eShop, 69p on iPhone.

Javier

Oregon Trail has been ESRB rated for both 3DS and Wii.

Guess that's why you can't transfer the DSiWare version, they seem to be making a separate entry for 3DS.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Javier said:

Guess that's why you can't transfer the DSiWare version, they seem to be making a separate entry for 3DS.
146840e.jpg

Who in their right fucking mind would buy a retail version of Oregon Trail. Might as well try charging people $40 to play Number Munchers while they're at it.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Javier said:

We knew about that ages ago... although, in the defense of someone, the DSiWare/iPhone version is a licensed title by GameLoft, while this one is licensed by a different company. I'm assuming that as GameLoft doesn't own the rights to the Oregon Trail IP, it doesn't have a license to the title on the 3DS, and thus are probably legally prevented from allowing the DSiWare version up on that platform.

Granted, a retail release still seems inane...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Nuclear Muffin said:
It's on the Mac app store, not the iOS one.
Right, not iOS then :)

Btw, Cave Story DSiWare PAL's date is this November or in February 2012? Can't remember which but I'm positive we had an official date finally, right?

Futureman

Is there anything on the horizon for this week?

Bought SML2 and did not remember it being so short. Activity Log says 3 hours for me... and I'm sure most of you guys blew thru it in less. Oh well, it was worth it for Wario's Castle and the music on the Star Maze level.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Right, not iOS then :)

Btw, Cave Story DSiWare PAL's date is this November or in February 2012? Can't remember which but I'm positive we had an official date finally, right?

We were given a "Q4 2012" release window on the last NOE release schedule, but NOE has listed it under earlier release windows before, so until it's actually dated you shouldn't hold your breath.

The PAL WiiWare version received a bunch of improvements/bugfixes so I can understand the delay there (plus they dropped the price, which was nice) but I have no idea why the DSiWare version is taking so long to release over here.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Futureman said:
Is there anything on the horizon for this week?

Bought SML2 and did not remember it being so short. Activity Log says 3 hours for me... and I'm sure most of you guys blew thru it in less. Oh well, it was worth it for Wario's Castle and the music on the Star Maze level.
Furry Legends DSiWare is coming this week and it looks cool.

Has any gaming journalist specifically asked Reggie or someone at Nintendo why games like Yoshi's Island and Pilot Wings 64 have yet to be released?

It baffles me.

GeekyDad

Brazil said:
Furry Legends DSiWare is coming this week and it looks cool.

The WiiWare game was absolutely horrendous, but that was entirely due to the controls matched with the game's physics. Perhaps it'll work better on DSi/3DS. Who knows...I would beware, though.

ElectricBlanketFire said:
Has any gaming journalist specifically asked Reggie or someone at Nintendo why games like Yoshi's Island and Pilot Wings 64 have yet to be released?

It baffles me.
His response would be something like "The Virtual Console has hundreds of other classic titles available for you to choose from. Yoshi's Island will soon be available on the 3DS via our ambassador program. Pilotwings Resort on the 3DS provides the classic Pilotwings experience that fans of the series have come to love, but in glasses-less stereoscopic 3D. Keep an eye out for more great titles headed to your Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DSi, and Nintendo 3DS systems!"

zigg

nincompoop said:
His response would be something like "The Virtual Console has hundreds of other classic titles available for you to choose from. Yoshi's Island will soon be available on the 3DS via our ambassador program. Pilotwings Resort on the 3DS provides the classic Pilotwings experience that fans of the series have come to love, but in glasses-less stereoscopic 3D. Keep an eye out for more great titles headed to your Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DSi, and Nintendo 3DS systems!"

Yup, pretty much. You don't get any useful answers out of those questions, ever.

ElectricBlanketFire said:

It baffles me.

Need to have something left for the Wii U launch.

SmokyDave said:
You forgot Ferrari GT Evolution. £7.20 on eShop, 69p on iPhone.

GeekyDad said:
And Cut the Rope - $0.99 on iPhone, $5 on eShop.

These aren't 3DS games, they're DSiWare and thus shackled to Nintendo's old store standards. Yes, you can buy them on the eShop, but it's not the same thing. The examples I listed are so far all we've got.

AbsoluteZero said:
Need to have something left for the Wii U launch.

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that we aren't going to be getting any more Wii VC games. They're going to save them all for the Wii U (where they'll add GCN, Dreamcast and Saturn games and still manage to only drip out 1 game a week)

Roto13

Nuclear Muffin said:
Yeah, I think it's safe to say that we aren't going to be getting any more Wii VC games. They're going to save them all for the Wii U (where they'll add GCN, Dreamcast and Saturn games and still manage to only drip out 1 game a week)
In your dreams.

Futureman said:
aren't there Saturn/DC era games already on PSN/XBLA? Why not on Wii U download service which, presumably, will have less restrictions as to file size and what not?

Yes, but they have been ported to work on the new systems rather than emulated - which is why they are so few and far between compared to the relative plenty of the Wii (and soon 3DS hopefully) VC catalogues.

I could see WiiU getting the same handful of DC/Saturn ports that the PS3 and 360 have, but I wouldn't expect any kind of large catalogue.

Roto13

Do you have an idea how hard it is to emulate Saturn games, especially accurately enough to meet Virtual Console standards? Any Saturn games (or Dreamcast games, for that matter) on the PSN and XBLA are ports or remakes. (I guess all ports.)

People still have problems emulating Saturn because the hardware was all fucked up. Saturn games on other systems, like Panzer Dragoon in Orta, are always ported and not emulated.

Futureman

Ah, didn't know that.

So... Gamecube games will actually be emulated, not ported, when they show up on Wii U VC? Or I guess GC games even being on VC next gen isn't even confirmed.

Seems like you'd need something more powerful than a Wii U to accurately emulate GC games.

or is the assumption that the GC VC games will use some kind of backwards compatible chip in the Wii U?

Roto13

GameCube games haven't been announced for the Wii U (in fact, nothing Virtual Console related has been announced for Wii U, as far as I know, but we're all assuming the existing Virtual Console will make it over), but one would assume that the fact that the Wii U can play Wii games means that it can easily play GameCube games. (It will just lack the hardware to run them from actual GameCube discs and work with GameCube controllers and memory cards.)

Gametap had emulated Saturn and Dreamcast games on it's service, and Sega licensed out a Saturn emulator to Atlus for Devil Summoner and Princess Crown on PSP. I don't think the prospect of getting Saturn/DC games on Wii U Virtual Console is as far as some think.

If it happens though, releases will probably be few and far between. Like N64 on Wii VC.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Gametap had emulated Saturn and Dreamcast games on it's service, and Sega licensed out a Saturn emulator to Atlus for Devil Summoner and Princess Crown on PSP. I don't think the prospect of getting Saturn/DC games on Wii U Virtual Console is as far as some think.

If it happens though, releases will probably be few and far between. Like N64 on Wii VC.

It'd be nice for the standout titles at least. I'd love to replay the original Nights and the Panzer Dragoon series.

AbsoluteZero said:
It'd be nice for the standout titles at least. I'd love to replay the original Nights and the Panzer Dragoon series.
That's pretty much all I'd expect, the tentpole or celebrated titles. Stuff like Panzer, Nights, JSR, Sonic, Clockwork Knight, SC5, Dragon Force, Guardian Heroes, Chu Chu Rocket, Sega Rally, VF, PSO, Rez, etc. Like what you found reissued in Sega Ages or remade on XBLA, and maybe not any 3rd party games either.

GeekyDad

lunchwithyuzo said:
These aren't 3DS games, they're DSiWare and thus shackled to Nintendo's old store standards. Yes, you can buy them on the eShop, but it's not the same thing. The examples I listed are so far all we've got.

That's really the basis for your argument...really?

Even were I to stipulate the distinction, what has Nintendo done thus far to suggest their pricing strategy is or will be any different for eShop-exclusive content?

Bottom line, you can dice the shit up any way you like. Nintendo seems to be (currently, at least) still pushing their agenda of maintaining a certain value on downloadable content so far as it concerns their online marketplace(s). This is irrespective of the extreme polarity in pricing on other platforms for the same exact content -- in some instances, content that has been abbreviated on Nintendo platforms -- again, Cut the Rope as a case in point.

GeekyDad said:
That's really the basis for your argument...really?

Even were I to stipulate the distinction, what has Nintendo done thus far to suggest their pricing strategy is or will be any different for eShop-exclusive content?

Bottom line, you can dice the shit up any way you like. Nintendo seems to be (currently, at least) still pushing their agenda of maintaining a certain value on downloadable content so far as it concerns their online marketplace(s). This is irrespective of the extreme polarity in pricing on other platforms for the same exact content -- in some instances, content that has been abbreviated on Nintendo platforms -- again, Cut the Rope as a case in point.
We've been told that shop rules have changed, I don't see the issue? Was 360's online store gauged by what little was sold on Xbox 1?

And I agreed there was a premium being forced here, it just wasn't the ridiculous figures the previous poster had suggested and it's even comparably down from what we saw on DSiWare. You're overreacting.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Man, I really want to like Shin'en but they make their games are the very definition of beige. Beautiful, technically-impressive beige whizzing by at a million miles an hour, but beige nonetheless.

VideoMan said:
Jett Rocket sequel coming to the 3DS eShop according to Nintendo-Online.de (German site).

http://3ds.nintendo-online.de/news/9159/jett-rocket-erobert-den-eshop/

Jett Rocket should look really good in 3D. Plus the bigger size limits for eShop games should help as well.
Good news, the first one was a fun game for $10. I'm sad it's not coming to Wiiware though, my eyes nearly melted at the visual splendor of playing the first game in Dolphin at 1080p.

@MUWANdo said:
Man, I really want to like Shin'en but they make their games are the very definition of beige. Beautiful, technically-impressive beige whizzing by at a million miles an hour, but beige nonetheless.
F U. Nanostray 2, FAST and Art of Balance were all top notch.

zigg

nincompoop said:

I'm with @MUWANdo on this one. Loved AoB, but hearing "Jett Rocket 2" made me yawn. I bailed after the demo for that one. (Thanks, demo!)

Maybe the sequel will be better, though.

OnPoint

nincompoop said:
Good news, the first one was a fun game for $10. I'm sad it's not coming to Wiiware though, my eyes nearly melted at the visual splendor of playing the first game in Dolphin at 1080p.

No way. Nanostray 2 was pretty mediocre and FAST was shallow. Gorgeous but empty. Art of Balance was pretty cool though, I'll give them that.

OnPoint said:
No way. Nanostray 2 was pretty mediocre and FAST was shallow. Gorgeous but empty. Art of Balance was pretty cool though, I'll give them that.
You thought FAST was shallow? Granted the track design may not have been insane as something like F-Zero, but the polarity switching mechanic added a ton of depth to the gameplay by forcing you to plan ahead and manage your boost pickups (not to mention drive accurately enough to pick them up.) It was the very antithesis of shallow. Nanostray 1 was mediocre but the sequel was a huge improvement.

OnPoint

nincompoop said:
You thought FAST was shallow? Granted the track design may not have been insane as something like F-Zero, but the polarity switching mechanic added a ton of depth to the gameplay by forcing you to plan ahead and manage your boost pickups (not to mention drive accurately enough to pick them up.) It was the very antithesis of shallow. Nanostray 1 was mediocre but the sequel was a huge improvement.

My biggest problem with FAST was that, despite the "complexity" added by the color shifting, you had to race nearly-100% perfect to get in first place. There is almost no give to the AI at all, and one mistake usually has you locked into fourth or worse.

As for the depth, the color shifting in FAST wasn't some optional mechanic you had to learn the nuances of and could use to gain an advantage -- it was the only way to successfully get past some parts. There were no real tricks to it, though this dude's shortcuts are SUPER sweet.

I liked Nanostray 1 a lot, and it was admittedly pretty vanilla. I just couldn't force myself to play the sequel, despite having tried multiple times.

Top Bottom