• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

Pretty much every game will be on sale in the Xmas sale.

To be honest I'm way more interested in what sort of contest/event they'll have this time than the sales.

drizzle said:
Wait, isn't the "list of things I want on sale" a list of games we want to purchase on sale that we make with no basis, other than wanting something for some price? In other words, pure speculation?

I must've understood this wrong.

Maybe I should have posted a screenshot of my Steam Games list instead?
Hey, I can do this too...let's see here:

"wait, you mean your name isn't red, so your backseat modding is something I can safely ignore? Must be that my screen's colors are messed up. "

How was that, as insipid and pointless as your whining?

PaulLFC

drizzle said:
Wait, isn't the "list of things I want on sale" a list of games we want to purchase on sale that we make with no basis, other than wanting something for some price? In other words, pure speculation?

I must've understood this wrong.

Maybe I should have posted a screenshot of my Steam Games list instead?
No, the lists actually have some basis in reality as they are games people feel are either too expensive / not within impulse buy territory at the moment which they will buy at reduced prices. Outside of certain Valve games (such as Portal once or twice), the vast, vast majority of games on Steam will never be given away for free, so your point makes no sense.

ArjanN

elrechazao said:

"wait, you mean your name isn't red, so your backseat modding is something I can safely ignore? Must be that my screen's colors are messed up. "

Meh, he does have a point in that every other page the steam thread seems to devolve in some dumb list war about, say, who has the largest steam folder.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
elrechazao said:

I never said you guys couldn't share useless lists, I'm just saying it's stupid.

Displaying my opinion in a (arguably) clever and ironic way about something that's done every time there's a big sale coming up does not equal back seating modding, I don't think.

Sure, I could have made a much more constructive observation, along the lines of:

I believe these lists of games one wishes on sale aren't really in the best interest of the thread. Much like the "here's a screenshot of my massive library of unplayed games". From what I've witnessed in the last 3 Christmas sales, they rarely evolve into an interesting conversation and usually gain control of the thread. Usually, people that come to the thread to discuss anything related to Steam simply don't, as I know I did in the past.

And I believe that also doesn't express my desire to make it "against the rules" or "ban whoever does it lulz", which I really don't have. I just think it's a waste of time.

But where's the fun in that?

PaulLFC said:
No, the lists actually have some basis in reality as they are games people feel are either too expensive / not within impulse buy territory at the moment which they will buy at reduced prices. Outside of certain Valve games (such as Portal once or twice), the vast, vast majority of games on Steam will never be given away for free, so your point makes no sense.
"The Witcher 2" is clearly not going to be on sale for 10 bucks. "Orcs must Die" is not going up for 1 dollar either.

I think a "Oh shit, I've been waiting for this game to go on sale for 5 months and it fucking finally did" when a game goes up for sale is a much more meaningful post, than listing it 2 months earlier. It really serves no purpose.

But carry on.

hamchan

ArjanN said:
Meh, he does have a point in that every other page the steam thread seems to devolve in some dumb list war about, say, who has the largest steam folder.

What else is there to talk about?

Gravijah

ArjanN said:

i have the least amount of steam games out of any steam gaf poster

Salsa

PaulLFC said:
:O

6YA0Z.png

hooooooooooOOOOOOOOOLY NUTS

Rufus

So, can we assume at this point that Stacking will come over as well? Because I still haven't bought it on XBLA and I'd rather not if it does.

hamchan said:
List memes don't qualify as talking. That's the problem I have with them. The only posts that get any reaction are the outliers, of which there are few. So unless you have an exceptionally long e-peen or ludicrous sales demand, you may as well not add to the list, because nobody cares.

Maybe I'm just being a grouch, but this seeming anxiety to talk about anything just for the sake of having said something is annoying when it happens at this high a frequency.

Rufus said:
List memes don't qualify as talking. That's the problem I have with them. The only posts that get any reaction are the outliers, of which there are few. So unless you have an exceptionally long e-peen or ludicrous sales demand, you may as well not add to the list, because nobody cares.

Maybe I'm just being a grouch, but this seeming anxiety to talk about anything just for the sake of having said something is annoying when it happens at this high a frequency.
Simply reading for no reason other than complaining also makes little sense.

Gravijah

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
Calling you on that buddy! haha

New steamgafs bragging, least amount of games.

damn you have 3 less games than me. lol.

Rufus said:

hey i talk about random stuff

Salsa

man i wonder what's up with Trenched

is MS gonna publish? i mean they own the IP..

its gonna sound bad but i was more interested in Stacking to be honest. Its certainly the most original of the two and there's already plenty of tower defense games when you control the action in real time.

Still though, i'll buy it and probably love it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
hamchan said:
I enjoy reading impressions on games recently completed, even when I have already finished them myself. Stump did a nice write-up on DNF recently that I enjoyed reading.

PaulLFC

Stallion Free said:
I enjoy reading impressions on games recently completed, even when I have already finished them myself. Stump did a nice write-up on DNF recently that I enjoyed reading.
Games can be finished on Steam?!

Rufus

elrechazao said:
Simply reading for no reason other than complaining also makes little sense.
Oh, you and your disarming counter-logic. My, I am at a loss for words. I don't have much of a choice but to sift through the garbage, it's a nice thread otherwise. That would be it from my side and, for all I care, about the entire issue, unless you have anything to add besides 'NO U'?

Salsa

Rufus said:

thread would have been moved to Community a long time ago if it wasnt useful to have at hand for sales and whatnot. Its clearly always the same users just shooting the shit, dont see nothing wrong with that. We are still talking 99 percent about Steam or games in general.

Volcynika

I enjoy looking in this thread for game recommendations and people asking about certain games and what others thought of it, and whether it is worth _insert money here_.

Also, the sales obviously, GAF catches them faster than I do!

I don't get annoyed about it by any stretch but I will say that I appreciate why pages of lists are a little tedious. Unless you're interested in shopping for a particular poster, and I'd argue that Steam wishlists are probably a better way to do that, the posts full of lists are essentially free of meaningful content.

All that said, posts about posts containing lists are even more useless, and posts like this, which are posts about posts complaining about posts containing lists, are the most useless of all. So to be less useless I'll just say that MW3 costs $99.95USD in Australia but comes with MW1. Heh.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This thread is borderline heading to Community for having too low a signal:noise re: actual announcements and updates.

EviLore said:
This thread is borderline heading to Community for having too low a signal:noise re: actual announcements and updates.

No one goes there though! :(

Come on Steam, give us midday sales to compliment daily sales! :p

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
EviLore said:
For a time I thought we were only joking about OT3 before year end, but it seems possible.

Steam community, woo!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Quick question (sorry if it's been answered earlier in the thread): I purchased GTA IV (PC) on Steam a year and a half ago and I've never been able to buy Episodes from Liberty City on Steam since i get the error message "you have this game already". Have they fixed that issue for this weekend's sale? I.e., if I buy the complete GTA pack, will I finally be able to play the Episodes?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm surprised that Iron Brigade showed up in the registry. MS owns the IP for that game, even though Double Fine actually made it. Neat if it does come to Steam though, I had fun with the demo.

Stumpokapow said:
I'm surprised that Iron Brigade showed up in the registry. MS owns the IP for that game, even though Double Fine actually made it. Neat if it does come to Steam though, I had fun with the demo.
I'm not across the situation, but is it possible that Dracogen are buying the IP back on their behalf?

Rufus

luxarific said:
Quick question (sorry if it's been answered earlier in the thread): I purchased GTA IV (PC) on Steam a year and a half ago and I've never been able to buy Episodes from Liberty City on Steam since i get the error message "you have this game already". Have they fixed that issue for this weekend's sale? I.e., if I buy the complete GTA pack, will I finally be able to play the Episodes?
I assume you got that error message upon trying to add them to your cart? If so, did you try again recently, i.e. when the sale started? I'd do it myself, but I own them already. The first few pages of Steam's support forums don't mention your issue either, though obviously I didn't search thoroughly.

Joe Molotov

Stumpokapow said:

MS did put Fable III on Steam, so there's that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jim-jam bongs said:
I'm not across the situation, but is it possible that Dracogen are buying the IP back on their behalf?

I'm not particularly sure why Microsoft would sell it, though? I mean, when you're a small time rinky dink publisher like Majesco, and you're sitting on an IP that you'll never use again, if someone makes an offer, you sell. But when you're Microsoft and it's an IP you're still releasing product in (the DLC isn't out yet), wouldn't the intangible / creative value of the IP exceed the offer to buy it?

I figure this is happening with MS' approval. Now, maybe Dracogen is helping fund the PC port, but again I expect MS to be the publisher. But the problem with MS and PC games was never that they didn't think it was financially worthwhile, it was that they felt like selling games on PC undermined the Xbox.

Maybe a change of heart from MS? Orcs Must Die was pretty encouraging imho.

Stumpokapow said:
Maybe a change of heart from MS? Orcs Must Die was pretty encouraging imho.

That sounds likely then, I hadn't realised that Orcs was published by MS. I guess it could well be the case that the Xbox-or-die policy is being relaxed, though I'd be extremely shocked if it extended outside XBLA for the near future.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Okay, I now have some money to my name. Would a US GAFer mind helping me out with Alice? I can Paypal the $15 immediately.

Mrbob

Maybe MS only has the rights for the 360 version of Trenched/Iron Bridgade? In the case of Orcs Must Die Robot Entertainment self published the game on Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
GuiltybyAssociation said:
Just IM me on Steam, Jase.

That was my first thought, but I didn't see you listed as online. Thanks, though; Xeno Flux is on the case.

GuiltybyAssociation said:
edit: I guess it'd help if I were online.

Indeed. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom