• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Gvaz said:
what's Iron Brigade Comp?

Iron Brigade (formerly called Trenched) is a game by Double Fine. It was released for XBLA. It's kind of a hybrid third person shooter / mech game / tower defence game, probably most comparable to Gears 3's Horde mode or Orcs Must Die. It's got a cool sort of 1950s War of the Worlds sci-fi theme to it. Very high production values. The XBLA version was $15. DLC is forthcoming next month, the Steam release would probably include the DLC gratis. Microsoft owns the IP and published the XBLA version.

Double Fine, in case you haven't heard of them, have released Psychonauts (PS2, Xbox, PC), Brutal Legend (Xbox 360, PS3), Costume Quest (XBLA, PSN, PC), Stacking (XBLA, PSN), and Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster (Xbox 360 Kinect). The head of the studio is Tim Schafer, who you'll know from being involved with Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, and Day of the Tentacle.

funkystudent said:
Wasn't mrs splosion man once in the steam registry. That never happened and now will never happen

Yes, it was (well, sort of, by my recollection, it wasn't that it was in the registry, it was that one of the RPS guys randomly had it show up on his account). There's no technical reason why it "won't happen" now. Microsoft bought Twisted Pixel, yes, but we're discussing Iron Brigade, which is also owned by Microsoft, so insofar as Iron Brigade is a possibility, so is Splosion Man.

Gvaz

Banned
SteelAttack said:
Lol. Here we go again.

I'm just expressing my opinion, did I miss something?

Stumpokapow said:
Iron Brigade (formerly called Trenched) is a game by Double Fine. It was released for XBLA. It's kind of a hybrid third person shooter / mech game / tower defence game, probably most comparable to Gears 3's Horde mode or Orcs Must Die. It's got a cool sort of 1950s War of the Worlds sci-fi theme to it. Very high production values. The XBLA version was $15. DLC is forthcoming next month, the Steam release would probably include the DLC gratis. Microsoft owns the IP and published the XBLA version.

Double Fine, in case you haven't heard of them, have released Psychonauts (PS2, Xbox, PC), Brutal Legend (Xbox 360, PS3), Costume Quest (XBLA, PSN, PC), Stacking (XBLA, PSN), and Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster (Xbox 360 Kinect). The head of the studio is Tim Schafer, who you'll know from being involved with Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, and Day of the Tentacle.

Ah I see, I haven't touched my xbox in like a year. Thanks.

Salsa

funkystudent said:
That never happened and now will never happen

how come? cause MS now owns twisted pixel? MS still owns Iron Brigade since the start and now it looks like its coming.

MS already published more than one game on Steam. If there's some significant PC port work done on Mr. Explosion Man then they'll probably put it out.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Stumpokapow said:
I'm surprised that Iron Brigade showed up in the registry. MS owns the IP for that game, even though Double Fine actually made it. Neat if it does come to Steam though, I had fun with the demo.
Well, PJ Eden showed up the other day in the registry, and I think Sony owns the rights to PixelJunk too.

Joe Molotov said:
PC master race totally non-racist gentlemen of refined taste
That fucking thread.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Brazil said:
Well, PJ Eden showed up the other day in the registry, and I think Sony owns the rights to PixelJunk too.

They published the game, but do they own the IP? I don't think so. Q-Games ported Pixeljunk Monsters to Facebook, so I'm guessing that "Pixeljunk" is not Sony's property.

Salsa

I always thought that Sony at least owned the PixelJunk name but i was proven wrong. I wonder if they got some sort of exlusivity deal that expired. If that's the case it was definetly a long-ass one.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Stumpokapow said:
They published the game, but do they own the IP? I don't think so. Q-Games ported Pixeljunk Monsters to Facebook, so I'm guessing that "Pixeljunk" is not Sony's property.
SalsaShark said:
I always thought that Sony at least owned the PixelJunk name but i was proven wrong. I wonder if they got some sort of exlusivity deal that expired. If that's the case it was definetly a long-ass one.
Yeah, I'm not sure. Maybe it was just a publishing deal.

Gvaz said:
I'm just expressing my opinion, did I miss something?
Nah, nothing important. It's just that your post reminded me (probably Grav too) about that thread he just linked to. Not to say I think what you said was in that tone, mind you. Just found Grav's post/reaction funny.
Edit: At any rate, I won't derail the thread further. Sorry about that.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
jim-jam bongs said:
That sounds likely then, I hadn't realised that Orcs was published by MS. I guess it could well be the case that the Xbox-or-die policy is being relaxed, though I'd be extremely shocked if it extended outside XBLA for the near future.
how would orcs being published by ms on consoles have anything to do with their pc rights though?

i would think ms might want to keep orcs away from psn, but pc? not sure they really care.

All I know is that if Stacking doesn't show up on Steam, my elitist principles shall demand I boycott Double Fine indefinitely for leaving an advertisement for a PSN/XBLA game in the PC version of Costume Quest.

*adjust monocle sternly*

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kuro Madoushi said:
how would orcs being published by ms on consoles have anything to do with their pc rights though?

What's unusual is that typically MS requires an exclusivity window for games they publish on 360. Easing that and allowing developers to either publish on PC simultaneously or actually helping them publish it on PC is a positive step.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Stumpokapow said:
What's unusual is that typically MS requires an exclusivity window for games they publish on 360. Easing that and allowing developers to either publish on PC simultaneously or actually helping them publish it on PC is a positive step.
With Windows 8 approaching, they should be moving in that direction. Hopefully. Could bold well or not for Steam though. Either they lock full exclusivity than with PC, or the same structure, but the games are already on PC.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Stumpokapow said:
I understand that there's an exclusivity window; however, I always understood it to be ONLY for consoles.

Guess I was wrong?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Rufus said:
I assume you got that error message upon trying to add them to your cart? If so, did you try again recently, i.e. when the sale started? I'd do it myself, but I own them already. The first few pages of Steam's support forums don't mention your issue either, though obviously I didn't search thoroughly.

Yeah, I tried it and I got the error message. After googling a bit, I decided to buy the GTA pack as a gift and then e-mailed to an e-mail account I own. I then cut and pasted the url and redeemed it to my Steam account. Episodes from LC and everything else are downloading now. :)

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Man my Steam client has been fussy all night. Keeps randomly freezing up or crashing on me. Weird.

Salsa

4BDBF4594343C9749DD4B4A94A25B822E6F3F520

that just happened

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Looks like I'm missing Alice. If it isn't on sale for Christmas I'm punching Gabe in the balls.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
No, I'm just a poor bastard right now. Not begging, just giving Gabe a fair warning. He has followed my demands on a couple daily deals, so I know he is watching. I think I will play Titan Quest, Sequence, Dirt 3, and Metro 2033.

Salsa

confused said:
You're a..................Pony ?!?! Please tell me you're not one of them.

the bronie (well its a chick) is the healer

also i just realized Costume Quest doesnt show up under "All Games" on your profile, steam forums complaining about the same thing.

outrage

edit: oh and no im not a MLP fan if that was you were asking, at all

I got a bunch of stuff for a new computer, one of which comes with a free Dirt 3 code...

...Is this code still safe to use on Steam after all that happened, or is this going to hurt me in the long run?

Salsa

The Mana Legend said:
I got a bunch of stuff for a new computer, one of which comes with a free Dirt 3 code...

...Is this code still safe to use on Steam after all that happened, or is this going to hurt me in the long run?

amd hardware? its legit, enter it.

Angelus Errare said:
Am I the only one who read it as Gob's voice from Arrested Development?

thatsthejoke.jpg?

Never particularly liked or cared about GTA but I bought 'em anyway... in no rush to play them either (more important stuff on my backlog like: Chrono Cross, Witcher 1, Persona 3 and 4, Arkham City PC, Mass Effects, so on) WTF is wrong with me???
Almost caved in for the Alice deal. God damn does that game look pretty... but I managed to resist that one somehow.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think I'm going to miss the Alice sale thanks to Paypal's criminally slow approach to processing refunds.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
3chopl0x said:
That fucking obvious enough, my question was when.

You have a really bad habit of being pretty abrasive in your posts, man.

I don't like to put up with peoples' shit either, but seriously.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I just finished up the Ballad of Gay Tony. I bought it on Steam, and bunch of you dudes probably just did the same, so this I'll use this thread post my thoughts.

I've owned Episodes for awhile, but I never made much progress with the story. In a GTA game, it's way too easy to get distracted. Anyways, I finally got around to playing through the story and I'm kinda blown away by how good it was.

It retains all of GTAIV's strong points - the awesome euphoria physics, the high production values, the eclectic soundtrack, and of course Liberty City. I loved GTAIV, but I'm struggling to think of anything that was lost in Gay Tony. It takes what worked with GTAIV, while adding a ton of cool toys like riot tanks, parachutes, explosive sniper rifles, gold-plated uzi's and so on. It's pretty clear that Rockstar aimed to please the people who found GTAIV's missions boring. Even in the earliest missions you're exploding yacht's with helicopters and base-jumping off of sky scrapers. The missions were consistently over the top, and overall much more memorable than what GTAIV had to offer.

In regards to story, I won't say much since a lot of you guys probably haven't played it, but it was also an improvement. GTAIV had some fantastic voice work and writing, but I felt that the plot went off the rails in between the opening and closing hours. Too many hit or miss characters were introduced, and it dragged on with no real purpose until the main plot resumed. Gay Tony benefits a lot from it's shorter playtime, there is next to no filler or fat, it's much tighter package.

In particular, I greatly enjoyed Luis's relationship with Tony. It was very genuine (I actually cared!) and it was refreshing to see a gay videogame character who isn't a shallow stereotype (like Bernie in GTAIV). Plus, Yusuf was fucking hilarious.

It's kind of hard to believe that something this good could be DLC in this day and age, but I highly recommend you dudes check it out if you haven't already. I'm not burned out on GTAIV yet so I'll probably move on to Lost and Damned, but it's probably gonna be a bit underwhelming after playing Gay Tony.

/perfectscore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom