• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Ridley327

RIDLEY'S TOTALLY RELIABLE ASSESSMENTS OF EACH OF THE ORIGINAL GAMES, PART 2:

MGS3: In most long-running series, no matter what the medium, the third installment is where the apathy begins to set in, where we're used to the tricks and treats that they throw at us since we've seen them so many times before (this is especially interesting for the Metal Gear series in general, as MGS1 is the third game to be released and it is, for all intents and purposes, a polygonal remake of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, although no one outside of importers with way too much disposable income could tell you this until the first two games were finally made available in 2006). To put it mildly, the third installment of anything would have to do something amazing to truly impress, especially when you have to follow up such a massive and divisive project like MGS2.

So what did Kojima and his team do? They changed everything we knew about the series.

Moving away from the familiar, comfortable trappings of X Industrial Facility Overrun With Guards to the asymmetrical, unpredictable and expansive setting of a jungle while removing the Soliton radar, that oh so useful visual aid in judging how close you were to danger in favor of a camouflage mechanic was bold. More than bold, really; it was completely insane. Deciding to not continue the many dangling plot threads MGS2 left unanswered (and even after a seven year wait, KojiPro still couldn't wrap them up properly!) in lieu of a prequel that features only two returning characters (both of them antagonists, at that), was even more crazy. And adding a survival element, which has you watching out for your stamina as well as your bodily health on top of all this? What the hell was going on? Somehow, Kojima managed to make a game that felt more experimental than MGS2; just when we thought we couldn't have the rug pulled from underneath us again, they found a way.

Extolling the virtues of the game means having to lament the downfalls, some more profound than others. The radical shift in how the game plays was something that needed to happen and is pulled off magnificently, and yet the camera was identical to how its always been, hindering this incredible leap forward at every turn. The camouflage system is a more realistic take on stealth rather than the rudimentary "don't be in the light" approach of its competitor, Splinter Cell, but its clumsy menu-driven implementation hurts its effectiveness. This same issue also hampers the survival aspects, despite them being used in some incredibly clever ways. The controls themselves also feel incredibly clunky for what the game asks of you, whether it be the overly sensitive manner of holding up a guard or the finger pretzel that is aiming down the sights of an automatic weapon, and yet the CQC system managed to breathe new life into the hand-to-hand combat. Crazy as it may sound, the only aspect positive aspect of the game that isn't weighed down by outdated implementation is the story, which presents a far more grounded and less preachy experience than MGS2 offered, despite featuring a character that has mastery over bees and another that can photosynthesize.

And yet, my thoughts after when I beat the game first time didn't turn to the frustration I encountered. I thought about how much of a thrill it was to turn an early ambush to my favor with nothing more than the appropriate camouflage and an empty gun. I thought about how I managed to defeat a boss at his own game by throwing rotten food at him. I thought back to how the game divides both halves, resulting in one of the all-time greatest and bizarre non sequiturs that the game makes you play through. I thought about spending nearly two hours fighting a boss because he hides a lot better than you do, forcing you to use all of the tools at your disposal in order to find him. I thought about escaping confinement with a fork. I thought about the game making me feel very sorry about killing all the guys I did. I thought about wondering how far I could go with the world's most effective handkerchief (answer: very far indeed). I thought what the game did when I decided to see how it would handle me killing one of the characters long before his expiration date. I thought about what the game just made me do in order to complete it. My thoughts crystallized, I had decided I had played one of the greatest games ever made, and one that would go down in history as being truly incomparable.

In contrast to the previous re-release, Subsistence didn't really add a ton of new gameplay to it, but it did fix the biggest problem the game had. The user-controlled camera changed everything, and it managed to make the entire experience feel fresh once more. Also added were the very first two games in the series, fully translated and available for the first time to English speaking audiences. Also added was Metal Gear Online, a fun (while it lasted) multiplayer take on the gameplay introduced in MGS3 that was surprisingly robust for its time. On top of that, a proper cinema viewer was implemented in addition to a showcase of the hilarious Secret Theater clips that KojiPro had been releasing prior to the game's release. It may not have added hours and hours of gameplay to the core game, but it was nevertheless a fantastic upgrade.

What the HD version can add: Due to the ambition of the game relative to the PS2 hardware, the gameplay itself was sadly capped at 30 fps, a massive downgrade from MGS2 in that department (traces of it still existed in the game, as the menus ran at 60 fps). Also, with widescreen gaming becoming more and more prevalent at the time of the original game's release, the 4:3 aspect ratio was starting to feel suffocating in light of the gameplay changes. Thankfully for us, KojiPro and the folks at Bluepoint Games felt the same way, as gamers new and old will finally be able to experience the game at 60 fps and in widescreen. I cannot wait to give this game a spin once again.

Tigel

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Awesome OP. My wallet am cry.
Indeed... Bougth Battlefield last week, uncharted this week and MGS Collection (special edition) next week.

And I still have to buy Skyrim and Batman. Dammit!

First worlds problem etc.

Lesiroth

Wait, I thought there was a Vita version on the cards for this, right? Why isn't it listed in the Platforms section?

TheExodu5

Banned
Ridley327 said:
In most long-running series, no matter what the medium, the third installment is where the apathy begins to set in, where we're used to the tricks and treats that they throw at us since we've seen them so many times before.

This is an awesome statement. Very true.

I was worried the trophies were going to be bad but no, they are actually pretty damn cool.

Though at least judging from MGS2 list, I'll get most of them on a playthrough. I mean, kissing the locker girls? Which MGS2 lover doesn't do that EVERY time?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
pages are down

anyone copy and paste them like with the 360 achieves?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Gouda Jouji said:
Love Hurt
Watch Rose kill Raiden on a rooftop.

wat

Does this have to do with theater mode or something?

The pages aren't down, the () are killing the links. Just click on trophies/achievements on the side menu

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wario64 said:
More trophies than achievements. Kojima makes up for MGS4

Maybe this is KojiPro's way of saying sorry in advance for the inevitable MGS4 360 port with a full achievement list.

Ridley327

Peace Walker's list is identical, as expected, but here are the PS3-exclusive trophies (certain ones spoilered):

MGS2:

Animal Control
Collect a dog tag. Bronze

Bye Bye Big Brother
Destroy 15 cameras. Bronze

Vampire Eyer
Catch a glimpse of Vamp standing in the streets of New York during the end cinematic.
Bronze

To Catch a Predator
Lure a guard with a girlie magazine. Bronze

Hurt Locker
Put an enemy in a locker. Bronze

Thanks, Ames
Learn the location of the president.
Bronze

Sharing Is Caring
Befriend Olga Gurlukovich.
Bronze

Silence Is golden
Shoot 10 enemy radios. Bronze

Steamed
Kill 5 enemies with pipe steam. Bronze

Yorkie
Get the Bandana. Bronze

Poodle
Get the Tanker Stealth Suit. Bronze

Beagle
Get the Brown Wig. Bronze

Shiba Inu
Get the Plant Stealth Suit. Bronze

St. Bernard
Get the Orange Wig. Bronze

Love Hurt
Watch Rose kill Raiden on a rooftop.
Bronze

Bohemian Candidate
Meet President James Johnson.
Bronze

Bomb Squad
Learn how to defuse C4 bombs from Peter Stillman.
Bronze

Photo Finish
Acquire the Digital Camera. Bronze

Moving Day
Collect all Boxes. Silver

In It to Win It
Place first in 50 different VR / Alternative missions. Silver

Complete Stealth
Clear the game without entering alert mode (not including events where alert mode is mandatory). Gold

MGS3:

The End
Defeat The End. Bronze

Tell Me Where the Bomb Is
CQC Interrogate an enemy. Bronze

Don't Touch the Sides
Use a knife to remove a bullet. Bronze

The Cat's out of the Bag
Catch a glimpse of Ocelot, who's seen behind the president when he tries to shake Snake's hand.
Bronze

Prince Charming
Shoot a Kerotan for the first time. Bronze

Just What the Doctor Ordered
Collect every type of medicinal plant. Bronze

Everything Is in Season
Collect every type of fruit. Bronze

Fungus Among Us
Collect every type of mushroom. Bronze

A Bird in the Hand...
Collect every type of bird. Bronze

Charmer
Collect every type of snake. Bronze

Tall Tale
Collect every type of fish. Bronze

Them's Good Eatin'
Collect every type of frog. Bronze

I Can Totally See You
Achieve a camouflage index of +90%. Bronze

Snake Bit
Poison a guard. Bronze

Serenity Now
Call one Healing Radio frequency. Bronze

Tune-In Tokyo
Call every Healing Radio frequency. Bronze

Beekeeper
Use bees to harass an enemy. Bronze

Just Because
Blow up a munitions shed with TNT. Bronze

Mostly Dead
Use the Fake Death Pill. Bronze

You Snooze, You Lose
Sneak up on The End and hold him up. Bronze

hsukardi

Assuming it's the Chinese translation of the Famitsu reviews -

・紧张的故事展开带来很高投入度。能够以大画面高画质来体验实在让人高兴。难度虽然比较高但育成方面很有深度也可以尽兴游戏。Fulton的回收让人兴奋。有P SP版的下载码很合算。360版没那么合算不过也肯定是好作品

// Tense story brings high engagement. HD visual experience is joyful. Although the game is not easy, there is depth and growth. Taking back Fulton is joyful. Having free PSP download code adds a lot of value, 360 version does not have that much value but it remains a good product.

・完成度之高和游戏的乐趣之大早就已经得到过证实。针对HD主机的微调也能让游戏可以更顺畅的尽兴。音效工厂的沉迷度进一步提升。PS3版附带PSP版下载版并 且可以记录联动让人十分高兴

// Polish and fun has already been proven (with previous PSP release). But the tweaks made for the HD version makes the game more enjoyable. Sound work and engagement have increased. PS3 version has downloadable PSP version and allows transfarring, which is very delightful

・能以大画面游戏非常好。也能够感受到画面影像的景深。音效更有感觉敌人也更容易发现。可以通过记录转换继续PSP版的游戏,同时还有奖杯非常令人高兴。能够通 过右摇杆来改变视点对于boss战来说非常有帮助。有PSP下载版带着很划算

// Being able to play with HD visuals on the big screen is great. Can feel the depth of the visuals. Sound works has more feel to it, and enemies are easier to spot. Being able to continue your game on the PSP through transfarring and having trophies is very delightful. Being able to use right stick to change camera viewpoint greatly aids boss fights. Having the PSP downloadable code adds a lot of value.

・有着出色的故事性和合作游戏乐趣的PW画面变得更美丽,更容易融入世界观。右摇杆使用起来让游戏变得方便。同捆PSP下载版并且记录共通让游戏的选择性得到扩 展。360版就感觉不太划算了

// Game with outstanding story and co-op receives a visual upgrade, making it easier to be engaged with its world. Right stick makes the game easier to play. Bundled PSP downloadable/transfarrable version makes the game's choices broader. 360 version doesn't feel that worth it (implied because it doesn't have free portable version).

Ridley327

Ah, there was one thing that got overlooked: to make up for the lack of Transfarring, the 360 version will have four Avatar awards.

MGSAvatarawards.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Pfft avatar awards. The best thing this gen isn't about beating the games, it's showing everyone online that I did

Pre

jackdoe said:
There's also the MGS1 element, and what they do with that is beyond stupid as well.

Master Miller, a throwaway character from MG2 and especially MGS1 (as he's Liquid) is revealed to be the mastermind behind a lot of the events of Peace Walker and in cahoots with Zero all along. Jesus what a mess.

It's stuff like this and the entirety of MGS4's plot that saddens me, as Kojima is starting to turn into George Lucas.

Also, I'm taking this avatar if no one minds:

lfpeh.jpg

You'd think that Konami would be whoring out this game with tons of videos to promote it... IMO pretty poor marketing strategy, especially when releasing in such a packed time as this. Outside of the few minutes that IGN released theres absolutely no footage from the final version out there.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Just What the Doctor Ordered
Collect every type of medicinal plant. Bronze

Everything Is in Season
Collect every type of fruit. Bronze

Fungus Among Us
Collect every type of mushroom. Bronze

A Bird in the Hand...
Collect every type of bird. Bronze

Charmer
Collect every type of snake. Bronze

Tall Tale
Collect every type of fish. Bronze

Them's Good Eatin'
Collect every type of frog. Bronze

oh god

MGS3 platinum gonna be more tedious than anything

atleast there are probably a bunch of good guides for this crap

SamuraiX-

Retro_ said:
oh god

Seriously?

I did this kind of stuff on every playthrough back in the day without trophies.

Ridley327

Retro_ said:
oh god

Those you can do in the same playthrough, if that offers any consolation.

Those dog tags, on the other hand...

SamuraiX-

Ridley327 said:
Those you can do in the same playthrough, if that offers any consolation.

Those dog tags, on the other hand...

You really think they mean on all difficulties? Very Easy through Extreme? That'd bring me back. lol

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like collecting things is all

I don't play metal gear in that way.

Dog Tags is something alot more fun to figure out on your own by playing

Ridley327

SamuraiX- said:
You really think they mean on all difficulties? Very Easy through Extreme? That'd bring me back. lol
Well, they have trophies for getting the extra items you earn by finding them, so I'm sure they mean all of them.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So... Without looking at the trophy list, which is the easiest to platinum?

jett

D-Member
I did most of the crap on MGS3's trophy list, lol. I'm definitely not putting that kind of time into the game again, neither will I be replaying MGS2 in every difficulty just to get all the dog tags. European Extreme and I'm done.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
there is no way im going to even attempt to platinum a mgs game. you would have to give me the collection for free to put in that type of effort.

Top Bottom