• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Bad_Boy said:
there is no way im going to even attempt to platinum a mgs game. you would have to give me the collection for free to put in that type of effort.

I dont get why getting the collection for free would make you get the platinums. Wouldn't you want your moneys worth if you paid for it and want to get the trophies?

SamuraiX- said:
You really think they mean on all difficulties? Very Easy through Extreme? That'd bring me back. lol

Not only that but if I remember correctly the PS2 Substance version had Dog Tags for the Sons of Liberty Version and the Substance Version. I'm not sure they left that in, but if so that means double the dog tags!

mdtauk

TheExodu5 said:
How are they dealing with the pressure sensitive face button controls from the PS2 versions?

The same way they dealt with them on the Xbox version of MGS 2 surely (i.e cutting them out because they're useless)

mdtauk said:
The same way they dealt with them on the Xbox version of MGS 2 surely (i.e cutting them out because they're useless)

QFT

Always hated analog buttons in pretty much any game that used them

Wario64 said:
I dont get why getting the collection for free would make you get the platinums. Wouldn't you want your moneys worth if you paid for it and want to get the trophies?

Nothing about platinum trophies is rational.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
ULTROS! said:
So... Without looking at the trophy list, which is the easiest to platinum?

They all seem pretty tedious

but I'd probably say MGS2 personally

MGS3 has alot of collectathon trophies and Peace Walker has a bunch of grind ones.

TxdoHawk

I hate to be that guy, but I really wish somebody would talk about the differences between 360/PS3 versions already. I have the PS3 version pre-ordered, but if the controls aren't a train wreck or there isn't some other huge issue, I'd rather have the 360 version.

Desmond

TxdoHawk said:
I hate to be that guy, but I really wish somebody would talk about the differences between 360/PS3 versions already. I have the PS3 version pre-ordered, but if the controls aren't a train wreck or there isn't some other huge issue, I'd rather have the 360 version.
If anything, the PS3 should control better

Complete Stealth
Clear the game without entering alert mode (not including events where alert mode is mandatory).

Damn

SamuraiX-

Ostinatto said:
there is no "collect all dogtags in all difficulties" in MGS2 trophies?

was my biggest achievement back in the day

There is... as Ridley pointed out. The "Collect all dog tags" trophy in combination with the wig rewards is pretty indicative of this.

Retro_ said:
They all seem pretty tedious

but I'd probably say MGS2 personally

MGS3 has alot of collectathon trophies and Peace Walker has a bunch of grind ones.

No way, bro.

I haven't played PW before but between MGS2 and MGS3, MGS3 is clearly easier, requiring probably only one or two playthroughs to platinum.

MGS2 is looking like it's gonna require five playthroughs, minimum to platinum.

Desmond said:

That's weak sauce.

Personally, I'm disappointed there's no "no alerts, no kills, use limited weapons/items" trophy. :(

Desmond

SamuraiX- said:
That's weak sauce.

Personally, I'm disappointed there's no "no alerts, no kills, use limited weapons/items" trophy. :(
I would allows balls up the part with EE on the Shells connecting bridges

Next week will be....Solid. :p

It should be my last big spending week with me getting this and SM3DL. Woo!

Edit: Have they said what the secret acheivements are yet?

Salaadin

In the original MGS2 release, we had the following difficulty modes:

-Very Easy
-Easy
-Normal
-Hard
-Extreme

When Substance came out, they added European Extreme to the US version. I cant remember if the original US Extreme was still there or if European Extreme replaced it. Anyone remember? If both are there, then MGS2 really requires 6 play throughs minimum to platinum

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Deadly Cyclone said:
How is this on Xbox? I have a PS3 but like the Xbox controller better.

How do they handle the non-analog buttons on the 360?

Played MGS2 on Xbox 1 entirely with the 'Duke' controller(all VR missions and Euro Extreme) with no issue. Well, except for the bullshit button mashing sequence with Solidus that no controller will help with on that difficulty. The lack of analog buttons didn't really make or break my experience with aiming/shooting in VR missions. Some might bemoan the loss, but I beat it all without.

Cannot fathom any reason why a 360 or PS3 controller will cause concern for these ports.

I decided to jump on the Newegg promo and ordered the PS3 version. It's cool to see that MGS2 is the Substance version.

Sorry if this was answered: Are there new names on the dog tags? I only ask because my name was on one of the dog tags for the PS2 version of Substance but I was NEVER able to find a copy. Was just curious. :p

Salaadin

Brandon F said:
Played MGS2 on Xbox 1 entirely with the 'Duke' controller(all VR missions and Euro Extreme) with no issue. Well, except for the bullshit button mashing sequence with Solidus that no controller will help with on that difficulty. The lack of analog buttons didn't really make or break my experience with aiming/shooting in VR missions. Some might bemoan the loss, but I beat it all without.

Cannot fathom any reason why a 360 or PS3 controller will cause concern for these ports.

The Xbox controller had analog face buttons. They were removed for the 360 controller.

MGS3s controls are the bigger issue here anyways. Some of the most basic CQC actions rely directly on how hard you button the circle button.
Light press = choke hold the enemy
Hard push = slice their neck open

Without analong buttons, you literally cant hold onto an enemy without cutting their throat...at least thats how it was when I played it on PCSX2 using my logitech rumbledpad.
They will have to remap the 360 controls somehow.

EDIT: Didnt TTS have stupid control issues because of this? I think that you had to push A to hold up your gun but could not lower your gun without firing a shot unless you slide your thumb up and pushed Y.

I think the best thing would be to MGS4ify the controls.

jett

D-Member
bullshit.jpg

"HD collections" shouldn't be more than 40. I guess when it comes to PSN it'll be 20 each game. :|

creid

Ridley327 said:
Nothing crazy, but it does confirm what I figured they were going to do with the transfarring feature for Peace Walker: trophies get locked on a save file that wasn't started on the PS3.
:/ damn. Not so excited to continue my 90% complete save file on the PS3 anymore.

jett said:
bullshit.jpg

"HD collections" shouldn't be more than 40. I guess when it comes to PSN it'll be 20 each game. :|
Peace Walker came out like 18 months ago and has online added to it. If you think that the GoW or Team Ico collections are worth $40 for two last gen games with nothing really added is this collection not worth a little more?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
SamuraiX- said:
No way, bro.

I haven't played PW before but between MGS2 and MGS3, MGS3 is clearly easier, requiring probably only one or two playthroughs to platinum.

MGS2 is looking like it's gonna require five playthroughs, minimum to platinum.

Oh lord

I only ever bothered with the tags in the demo

so I thought they were exclusive to the tanker

looked up a dog tag guide and

oh lord

I hope there will be another alldogtags website for the collection though, lol

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
jett said:
bullshit.jpg

Good thing Newegg is selling both the PS3 and 360 versions of the Collection for $40 today with free shipping, then.

Retro_ said:
Oh lord

I only ever bothered with the tags in the demo

so I thought they were exclusive to the tanker

looked up a dog tag guide and

oh lord

MGS2 is my favorite game ever so I'm biased, but collecting all the dog tags is actually really fun. A casual MGS2 playthrough shouldn't take more than 3 hours, even with dog tags. The game isn't like a 12 hour Resident Evil 4 playthrough, you can rush through most of it with ease. What's even better? You can activate radar on higher difficulties unlike the original. Dog tags make areas like the Tanker Holds and Shell 1 Core far more interesting to play through.

vid

GQman2121 said:
Is that not the order the lore unfolds? Or are you just throwing your personal opinion out there on how you feel about the games?

Jumping in here... if you play the games in chronological order versus release order, you'll find yourself missing out on a lot of big reveals and twists in the story. For example... the big twist regarding the identity of
The Patriots
loses a lot of it's impact if you already have the information provided in MGS3.

A good comparison would be The Empire Strikes Back. For someone who watched A New Hope and then The Empire Strikes Back, the whole "I am your father!" bit was a big deal! But if you sat through all of the prequel films before tackling the originals, then it loses it's power over the viewer. Sure Luke (or Snake) is still surprised and confused, but the viewer is left with feelings of "Yeah, we knew that already."

If at all possible, it really is best to tackle the Metal Gear series in release order...

Metal Gear > Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake > Metal Gear Solid/MGS: Twin Snakes > MGS2: Sons of Liberty/Substance/HD > MGS3: Snake Eater/Subsistence/HD > MGS: Portable Ops > MGS4: Guns of the Patriots > MGS: Peace Walker/HD

But given the nature of this release, it's a pretty big obstacle to track down and play all of those games... so at the very least, tackle the games in this collection in their order of release.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
vid said:
But given the nature of this release, it's a pretty big obstacle to track down and play all of those games... so at the very least, tackle the games in this collection in their order of release.

Great post and 100% agreed, although I will say that MG1 and MG2 are optional. MG1 in particular has not aged particularly well and despite the plot being one of the most important in the series, the plot itself is maybe a paragraph long. I highly recommend that everyone give MG2 a chance in this collection, though. You'll find that it's basically a 2D version of MGS1 and just as ridiculous and awesome as it's descendants.

Also, LOL @ people saying MGS3 will be the harder one to platinum. I'll take

"What is MGS1 Snake VR Missions"

for 500. Good luck with those grenade missions and Zako Survival, guys.

Tmac said:
Wheres the original MGS? Is there a reason for that missing?

It had to do with the time that it would take to remake it, I believe -- at least partially. Think about it, how many PSX games do we have on PS3/360 in HD? I don't think it's any, is it? All the remake collections are PS2. One could argue to try to get the GCN Twin Snakes on the collection, but that's hit and miss as to whether or not people would be happy or rage. :lol

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
MGS2 is my favorite game ever so I'm biased, but collecting all the dog tags is actually really fun. A casual MGS2 playthrough shouldn't take more than 3 hours, even with dog tags. The game isn't like a 12 hour Resident Evil 4 playthrough, you can rush through most of it with ease. What's even better? You can activate radar on higher difficulties unlike the original. Dog tags make areas like the Tanker Holds and Shell 1 Core far more interesting to play through.

Yeah I'm still going to atleast attempt to get all of them and form my own opinion

but I was just reacting to the sheer amount of them.

alot more than I expected

Metal Gear > Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake > Metal Gear Solid/MGS: Twin Snakes > MGS2: Sons of Liberty/Substance/HD > MGS3: Snake Eater/Subsistence/HD > MGS: Portable Ops > MGS4: Guns of the Patriots > MGS: Peace Walker/HD

All the games not on this collection (MGS1 and Portable Ops) are available on PSN

so with the release of this collection now is a pretty good time to get into the series

edit: forgot about MGS4, but that's a current gen budget title at this point

SamuraiX-

Sub_Level said:
Also, LOL @ people saying MGS3 will be the easier one to platinum. I'll take

"What is MGS1 Snake VR Missions"

for 500. Good luck with those grenade missions and Zako Survival, guys.

What are you talking about exactly?

Are you saying PW will be the easiest? Not really sure what you're saying here...

MGS3's most challenging trophies are arguably those requiring the collecting food/animals and Kerotans.

There's no way you can argue that's more involved than retrieving every dog tag from every sentry across five difficulty levels in MGS2.

I haven't played PW and I don't want to look at the trophies for that one so I can avoid plot spoilers.

Ridley327

Just looking at the lists and MGS3 will definitely be the least taxing and time consuming of the three games. Peace Walker will absolutely be the most time consuming, but I'm going to have to assume that you can do all of it in co-op, as well, which will make getting the rankings in the EXTRA OPS missions fairly trivial.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Ridley327 said:
Just looking at the lists and MGS3 will definitely be the least taxing and time consuming of the three games. Peace Walker will absolutely be the most time consuming, but I'm going to have to assume that you can do all of it in co-op, as well, which will make getting the rankings in the EXTRA OPS missions fairly trivial.

I imagine most people will obtain it by developing the game breaking weapons and going through the missions with those

but that takes a pretty long amount of time in and of itself.

20,000 camaraderie is definitely the worst one. That involves completing a number of PWs in game grind achievements.

overcast

I haven't beaten any of the three, but I remember watching my oldest brother beat 2 and 3. I was pretty young, and it looked overwhelming to play. I was in awe watching the ending of Snake Eater. Can't wait to play these.

The trophies/achievements seem rather easy at least for 2/3, done everything like 200 times before, but that's a good thing I guess. But lmao at some of the titles "Snake Beater" and "Problem Solved, Series Over"

Ridley327

Retro_ said:
I imagine most people will obtain it by developing the game breaking weapons and going through the missions with those

but that takes a pretty long amount of time in and of itself.

20,000 camaraderie is definitely the worst one. That involves completing a number of PWs in game grind achievements.
I think you might be confusing that with Heroism; Camaraderie is awarded during co-op play for doing co-op-y things, like reviving players, giving items and maintaining co-op formations. Heroism impacts the ranking of soldiers you recruit, as well as which of the battle cries you unlock.

Lothars

vid said:
Jumping in here... if you play the games in chronological order versus release order, you'll find yourself missing out on a lot of big reveals and twists in the story. For example... the big twist regarding the identity of
The Patriots
loses a lot of it's impact if you already have the information provided in MGS3.

A good comparison would be The Empire Strikes Back. For someone who watched A New Hope and then The Empire Strikes Back, the whole "I am your father!" bit was a big deal! But if you sat through all of the prequel films before tackling the originals, then it loses it's power over the viewer. Sure Luke (or Snake) is still surprised and confused, but the viewer is left with feelings of "Yeah, we knew that already."

If at all possible, it really is best to tackle the Metal Gear series in release order...

The very good thing about this release is that the games that you can't get on the Xbox is Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 4.

On the PS3, you can play all of them on the list but just have to buy MGS4 and MGS seperately.

GZ!

So, are the MSX Metal Gears included with this package or not? (Being a part of MGS3: Subsistence and all...?)

Top Bottom