• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT4| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Let me reiterate that giving ratings to individual chapters is fucking dumb for a million reasons. You're just setting up impossible standards for series to meet. A good climax or action piece requires a good set up and you guys just give C's to all the setup chapters regardless of how well they work in retrospect. If you want to rate them, rate them by volume at least.

-A, definitely insightful

43h7r5d.gif

I don't give chapters actual ratings, but writing up a summary for an individual chapter is always fun.

scy

One Piece

Vice-Admiral? Boo. But hey, there's plenty of time for Smoker to get a promotion before he meets Luffy.

I'm surprised that he made it up to there, really. I mean, with the way it was pointed out at his lack of an eye towards promotions and all. Though, I kind of expect a reveal that the only reason he climbed up was to give himself the ability to chase after the Strawhats.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
GODA GODA GODA.

Okay now that's done.

Bleach! I'm looking forward to more flashbacks and stuff. Nice to see SS remove the stick from its bum.

Let me reiterate that giving ratings to individual chapters is fucking dumb for a million reasons. You're just setting up impossible standards for series to meet. A good climax or action piece requires a good set up and you guys just give C's to all the setup chapters regardless of how well they work in retrospect. If you want to rate them, rate them by volume at least.

One Piece

Another jam packed chapter filled with a ton of info. First off, it appears that Luffy "definitely seems to have matured, and it wasn't all talk." Giving Big Mama the treasure so that she wouldn't attack Fishman island was a responsible thing to. (I can't wait to see it blow up in her face XD) I'm really impressed with his character after the timeskip. Pekom's has Haki?!? I predict that when the strawhats do fight Big Mama, Pekoms will be one of her premier fighters.... he'll probably fight Zoro or Sanji. On the marine side, Tashigi makes a return! I actually dreaded her appearance because I hated her new design (the one featured in the Marineford arc) but it appears Oda has answered my prayers and hearkened to my desires. Her design is a lot more similar to her original design, and (despite having the generic huge breasts, small waist body type) she doesn't look like a Robin / Boa clone. Smoker has a vice admiral was expected, I miss the bastard. All in all, an amazing chapter.
yeah, she looks like a weakhoshi clone

One piece design of female characters is really getting boring, they all look the same

scy

Bleach 357 - 354:
8.74 out of 10.4902

A 10.50 scale? Not sure how if I agree with this.
Think of the significant figures!

Honestly, I do agree with him. I don't quite get the individual chapter ratings but I don't really pay much attention to them in general. A carryover from gaming side where "LOL REVIEWS SCORES" I guess.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
You guys are taking these ratings of individual chapters too seriously. It ain't that deep brehs.

Speaking of individual chapters, I will be reading them soon, but I just got to Baroque Works on the re-watch/read of OP with my sister, and it's so good. <3 One Piece.

I think you can still rate a chapter depending on expectations and how well it represents the material it has to work with.

Sure a climax chapter should be better, but if I'd rate a chapter I'd probably give a much lower grade to a failed climax than to a boring buildup chapter.

Naruto

This lazy shit .... did we really need all that flashback?
Could have been a cool chap without all that flashback sucking up the pages.

Bleach
So meh ...

Kusagari

Kubo is in London doing 'research' apparently. That's why Bleach is on a 3 week break after this.

Will we see some English Soul Reapers?

You guys are taking these ratings of individual chapters too seriously. It ain't that deep brehs.

Speaking of individual chapters, I will be reading them soon, but I just got to Baroque Works on the re-watch/read of OP with my sister, and it's so good. <3 One Piece.

I love that part in the anime, Ms. All Sunday and Ms. DoubleFingers eng voices are amazing. Sadly, I havent been able to finish that arc in the anime. Got to wait for Funimation collection.

JOJOLION IS SO AWESOME

Stand battle at Tea Time LET'S GO!

But that said, what happened to Steel Ball Run? It was almost done, right? Jojolion is making SBR references and I don't wanna miss out.

One Piece

On the page where it shows Tashigi can anyone help me decipher what's going on with Smoker's head seen from the back by the way?

I've been staring at it for ages but can't figure out what's supposed to be going on.

/edit

Nevermind, that's his ear I'm looking at, I thought it was his cheekbone.

Wiseblade

Neither things are dumb and are perfectly valid ways of judgment in every way possible.

In what cases are any of those dumb? They're different formats, both which can be critiqued with ease.

Grading a series: Perfectly fine.

Grading an Arc: Sure, why not.

Grading a volume: dumb

Grading a chapter: super dumb

Big One

Banned
Grading a series: Perfectly fine.

Grading an Arc: Sure, why not.

Grading a volume: dumb

Grading a chapter: super dumb
No, sorry. Neither you or Grimace have came up with any sufficient reasoning to why grading a volume or chapter is "dumb." Both are complete products and are presented us in a fashion to where we CAN grade. There is absolutely no reason to why volumes or chapters cannot be graded or judged. You might as well say one can't judge MGS1 without playing MGS2.

Read the big shonen, I don't get what you guys see in this shit.

Bleach: wah wah respect the dead, why would ginjou have a corpse in soul society wah wah
Naruto: 5 pages of copied flashbacks for no reason r u srs
One Piece: Seriously this is just Where's Waldo for you assholes or some shit. NEW OUTFIT GODA BEST MANGAKA
Hunter x Hunter: not bad

Anyway, everyone needs to read Jojolion.

Snakeyes

Naruto: D. No interesting developments and five pages of flashbacks is way too much.

Bleach: F. Fitting rating for a gag manga.

One Piece: B+. Good comedy and nice Smoker and Tashigi reveal at the end.

scy

No, sorry. Neither you or Grimace have came up with any sufficient reasoning to why grading a volume or chapter is "dumb." Both are complete products and are presented us in a fashion to where we CAN grade. There is absolutely no reason to why volumes or chapters cannot be graded or judged. You might as well say one can't judge MGS1 without playing MGS2.

Huh?

Personally speaking, I don't get the individual grading when it's just that. A letter or number or amount of shitstains on the wall. Whatever. Failure to care. Text about it to explain it is all that matters. I give zero fucks that it's a "C" but care more that, "lazy flashback chapter" is what made the score.

Just my thoughts on it.

Does anyone really even take what the "raters" are rating the chapters seriously? I just chalk it up what the reader thought during the chapter and not an overall thing that some of these users are trying to keep up week to week. It's not like the reviews are being collected in some database that people are going to say "oh you rated chapter 7 sixteen points higher than chapter 32... how dare you". Or maybe manga discussion is just serious business these days.

scy

It's not like the reviews are being collected in some database that people are going to say "oh you rated chapter 7 sixteen points higher than chapter 32... how dare you". Or maybe manga discussion is just serious business these days.

...we're not keeping score? (&#9583;°&#9633;°&#65289;&#9583;&#65077; &#9531;&#9473;&#9531;

Does anyone really even take what the "raters" are rating the chapters seriously?

I find the ratings to be severely exaggerated often. Or rather the text in the posts will be glowingly positive and the chapter ends up receiving some average C rating, or the text will be disparagingly negative and it ends up not giving the chapter anything less than a B-. The grades themselves just make me chuckle for often they fall pray to over-exaggeration.

I like when it takes longer to read the "review" than it does to read the chapter.

upandaway

I dunno, they're not really complete products. They're not even sold separately anywhere. And you're required to have prior knowledge.

The only exception I'd give is the first chapter. You can grade the shit out of that. Hell, I'd love it if people graded first chapters, and I'm really not into the whole grading thing.

One Piece

G5 is awesome. Nice contra having Tashigi the captain of those people.

I love Smokes guy dude an' all, but man, why he gotta be a thing. I don't get him. Sure Luffy's a pirate, sure he has a bounty, but Smoker ought to be more case-by-case about these things. It's like anyone who self-proclaims himself as a pirate is a pirate, where it should be, the marines deciding who's a pirate and who's not. He's way too serious about catching Luffy.

Luffy's gotta beat the shit outta him though. No way he's surviving that fight. At the very least, Luffy's escaping easily once he surfaces.

Also I think lion dude may be a chimera. Lion head, turtle body, and all that.

HxH

The eggs reveal was pretty crazy. Ging's stuff about Pariston having fun with them could be:

1. Fighting with them (lol)
2. Using them as an army (what)
3. Experimenting on them (probably)

Wiseblade

Yeah, it's about as complete as grading a paragraph of a book or 3 minutes of a movie.

Read the chapters and:

Naruto
More showing of Kurama being converted by Naruto and Kishi showing fans that he remembers that Part 1 still exists :p

One Piece

Straw Hats has gotten themselves in some deep shit and really might need Jinbe's assistance now. Oda still hyping up the New World by showing Pekom's Bounty and his easy beating of a Logia.

Plus Tashigi and Smoker return again and keeping to their goal of going up the ranks so the can chase the SH. Lets see if there will be an actual reunion.

Bleach

Not convinced about the ginjou thing, especially since there wasn't even a flashback that could help. Did Kubo really skip a chapter or something?

The Vizards being back in Soul Society is interesting and maybe they can actually help more now.

HxH

Ging showing why he's the boss and how hes basically a Hobo, plus i wonder what Partison really wants to do with those hybrids (use them as hunting material (experiments or used as targets in the exam), let them can become hunters for his own loyal army, etc).

Seems like its time for Gon to return as well

upandaway

Bleach: wah wah respect the dead, why would ginjou have a corpse in soul society wah wah
One Piece: Seriously this is just Where's Waldo for you assholes or some shit. NEW OUTFIT GODA BEST MANGAKA

I'm still waiting on it a little but I will soon.

I somehow end up never posting about Jojo here ever though so I dunno if I will when I read it

Luffy's gotta beat the shit outta him though. No way he's surviving that fight. At the very least, Luffy's escaping easily once he surfaces.

There's no way Luffy beats Smoker at this point. I don't see that happening until the series is almost over. The Straw Hats will manage to escape, but Smoker will keep up his pursuit until the end. He's the Garp to Luffy's Roger.

Big One

Banned
Huh?

Personally speaking, I don't get the individual grading when it's just that. A letter or number or amount of shitstains on the wall. Whatever. Failure to care. Text about it to explain it is all that matters. I give zero fucks that it's a "C" but care more that, "lazy flashback chapter" is what made the score.

Just my thoughts on it.
individual grades are still opinions and can be easily formed. It's not that I make up these scores on simply how I feel, but rather I grade them on the quality of the chapter itself. The idea is that giving it a score prevents me from having to write an entire paragraph describing it's quality, which is yes lazy, but isn't invalid by any means.

Despite my complaints I gave Naruto a C cause it had some genuine solid moments in the chapter which were kind of ruined by the copy and pasting of old scenes from the manga. If it didn't include those scenes it would be a B graded chapter, cause while the solid moment was good it still wasn't nearly even close to when Naruto is A level. Or for that matter, any other manga that keeps a consistent level of quality.

When Naruto doesn't live up to these standards then, yes, I'm gonna call it out on that. It perfectly valid to give a single chapter a graded score.

Yeah, it's about as complete as grading a paragraph of a book or 3 minutes of a movie.
Not even remotely close. A chapter has a clear plot progression and structure, and also the format it's in lends itself to be judged as such.

It's more like giving a grade to the latest episode of Chuck. While the whole season or show can be graded, so can the episode. All three forms are valid

Bleach

I laughed as I saw those two took over the squads of both Aizen & Gin. Can someone share why and maybe the logic behind Ichigo wanting to bury Ginjo's corpse in the living world? Is it a respect thing for his friends that he's friend with? Seemed pretty ballsy as Ichi rolled up on old dude to ask for a mere substitute shingami's body.

upandaway

There's no way Luffy beats Smoker at this point. I don't see that happening until the series is almost over. The Straw Hats will manage to escape, but Smoker will keep up his pursuit until the end. He's the Garp to Luffy's Roger.
I don't mean the full on full out "normal" one-on-one fight. But whatever they fight to accomplish, Luffy will easily do it and Smoker will eat dust.

scy

Bleach

I laughed as I saw those two took over the squads of both Aizen & Gin. Can someone share why and maybe the logic behind Ichigo wanting to bury Ginjo's corpse in the living world? Is it a respect thing for his friends that he's friend with? Seemed pretty ballsy as Ichi rolled up on old dude to ask for a mere substitute shingami's body.

It's because he's a substitute Shinigami. That is, he wants his body buried where he feels it belongs: part of the regular world, not SS. A respect for his humanity. That's how I took it, anyway.

I don't mean the full on full out "normal" one-on-one fight. But whatever they fight to accomplish, Luffy will easily do it and Smoker will eat dust.

Not exactly since smoker is basically smoke and Luffy is more of a physical attack guy but, this is where Luffy's haki training will come into play and possibly make the difference.

Or they run away again.

upandaway

According to Weekly Shonen Jump vol.7, Togashi Yoshihiro has renewed his record of the consecutive publications of Hunter x Hunter. He has published the manga for 21 consecutive issues since August 8th 2011. The previous record of 20 issues was accomplished from January 2010 to June 2010. The longest hiatus for 79 issues was made from February 2006 till October 2007.
Togashi said he will keep on publishing Hunter as long as possible to encourage people in the disaster area of Tohoku Earthquake.
swoon

It's because he's a substitute Shinigami. That is, he wants his body buried where he feels it belongs: part of the regular world, not SS. A respect for his humanity. That's how I took it, anyway.

Seems to make sense, and putting it in the regular world would at least be something kind to do for the remnants of Xcution.

Bleach
Bleach

Most likely remorse. Ichigo never kills anyone. ginjou was half human half shinigami. So i think he felt remorse over killing him and wanted to give him his final respect by burying him.

Not until SBR translations finish.

upandaway

Post what you think about the War after you reread it in bulk (i.e. if that changed your opinion on it at all)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom