• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Wish List

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
What else is there at this point?

I'm talking really small details - the angle that the weapon's being held, the animation for switching to weapons (Halo 3 Et tu Brute ViDoc had the perfect one), the information your visor displays (I want a heart rate mointor that goes up when you start fighting someone and the text "SERUM ADRENALINE INCREASING" flashing on the side, etc.

The stuff that I want would make animators love me, but designers and gamers in general hate me, haha. The Chief is a two-ton super soldier, he needs to start acting like one.

For example, I want the Chief to be able to vault to, over, and onto other platforms if he's really close them, but not as fast as this video's showing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acD6s4E3xso&feature=relmfu (all interactions Faith has in the first 1:02 minutes of the film)

When the Chief does a light hop towards a surface that's a few feet below him, I want his legs to make this sound - http://youtu.be/f66L68h-X5k?t=6m21s (more deeper and profound, of course)

I want the Chief to be able to do Bulletstorm-esque kicks like this to interact with objects in the environment and enemies (and of the same power) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GsJyBnM6Lw

Those are just a few things.

I would like the evade(cooldown) and sprint AA(limited range) from reach to be standard.
And the rest of the AA be map pick ups. But then again not sure how it would fuck up grenade play(cooking??)..

Unity2012

343 please bring back the sense of awe and discovery that made Halo CE such an iconic entry in the industry.

Give us a SP campaign that makes sense and is not so twisted we'll need a Science Fiction Historian and a Psychic to follow it. The books are perfect example of good fiction--use them.

I want more animations, cover, verticality and a cheese sandwich maker thru Kinect!

And, yeah graphics don't make a good game; but Gosh! Do they look pretty on my TV!! Make them Shine 343! make it pretty! Add 3D too, don't shy away from greatness, just do it.

All and all, I want to wish 343 the best with this project. I cannot wait to see what they've been up to.. Good times ahead.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm talking really small details - the angle that the weapon's being held, the animation for switching to weapons (Halo 3 Et tu Brute ViDoc had the perfect one), the information your visor displays (I want a heart rate mointor that goes up when you start fighting someone and the text "SERUM ADRENALINE INCREASING" flashing on the side, etc.

The stuff that I want would make animators love me, but designers and gamers in general hate me, haha. The Chief is a two-ton super soldier, he needs to start acting like one.

For example, I want the Chief to be able to vault to, over, and onto other platforms if he's really close them, but not as fast as this video's showing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acD6s4E3xso&feature=relmfu (all interactions Faith has in the first 1:02 minutes of the film)

When the Chief does a light hop towards a surface that's a few feet below him, I want his legs to make this sound - http://youtu.be/f66L68h-X5k?t=6m21s (more deeper and profound, of course)

I want the Chief to be able to do Bulletstorm-esque kicks like this to interact with objects in the environment and enemies (and of the same power) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GsJyBnM6Lw

Oh ok those are really small things lol

I love that sound from DBZ. Fuckin badass.

JimiNutz

Banned
Something new. Keep Chief, Cortana, Warthog and some of the basic human weapons. Everything else should be new - New alien weapons, new enemies, new vehicles etc.

Slightly grittier world. Not saying take away the colors etc. Just make the world a bit more banged up and battle damaged. Chiefs armour should be scratched and marked. The environments should look like they're old and battle worn - try to tell a story through the environment alone.

Less static environments. Not saying full on destruction, but there should be more glass that breaks, walls that chip away (just for visual effect) when shot at or grenades go off. Throw a bit of rubble around the environment at the end of a firefight.

Slightly, and I mean very slightly, more gore. Not Gears levels, just a slight increase. We already have splashes of blood, just make it a little bit more. Also when Spartans die in MP, replace the character model with one that has damaged armour so it looks like the rounds have actually punctured the suits.

Sprint AND evade should be default abilities. I dont care for any other armour abilities (maybe make jetpack a vehicle pickup).

Dedicated servers for MP.

I doubt I'll get any of these :(

Striker

Less static environments. Not saying full on destruction, but there should be more glass that breaks, walls that chip away (just for visual effect) when shot at or grenades go off. Throw a bit of rubble around the environment at the end of a firefight.

Sprint AND evade should be default abilities. I dont care for any other armour abilities (maybe make jetpack a vehicle pickup).
Agree on the environments. Interactive maps in past games were great, and I'm not talking about shallow and meaningless one like Last Resort's "gate", the ones that pay dividends in the gameplay for flag and assault; look no further than the gate in Zanzibar, Relic's teleporter unlock, Containment's quick entrance for vehicles while the bridge is docked, and teleporters for quick access across the length of the map, e.g. Waterworks, Coagulation; also the ramp in Relic/Colossus' middle bridge being different for slayer and flag/assault. It's great stuff. Zanzibar also has some rubble getting knocked off the wall, too bad it was not seen elsewhere.

Completely disagree over the second. They need to increase the base speed and not rely on sprint. Halo has slowed down in these past two MP games and it's hurt the gameplay. Evade has no business in Reach for all players, much less getting inducted in future Halo games. I don't hate the ability for Elites in Invasion, but that's only where it belongs. It's one of the worst things about the game - you don't return things that completely suck - Bungie did this with the Spartan Laser already... >_<

Assuming Forge is returning like expected, they need to re-do the teleporters. They are inconsistent as hell in Halo 3/Reach under their new settings. And I'm not talking about the lack of telefragging, which was awesome.

So the usual washed out grey-ish brown or brown-ish grey?

This isn't what the live action commercials look like. They still have the signature Halo color pallet.

Maybe I should've said I want Halo 4 to have Halo's color pallet with the image quality and the level of detail of Crysis2.

Sadly, I know the 360 isn't able to give me that and still maintain 4 player campaign co-op over xbl. So I'm resigned to the fact that Halo 4 will still maintain the visuals of a saturday morning cartoon.

I'd rather M$ and 343 launch the next system with the H4 trilogy so we can have some visual continuity instead of splitting the generation. :'(

JimiNutz

Banned
Completely disagree over the second. They need to increase the base speed and not rely on sprint. Halo has slowed down in these past two MP games and it's hurt the gameplay. Evade has no business in Reach for all players, much less getting inducted in future Halo games. I don't hate the ability for Elites in Invasion, but that's only where it belongs. It's one of the worst things about the game - you don't return things that completely suck - Bungie did this with the Spartan Laser already... >_<

Def agree about increasing the speed. I always though Halo was kind of slow from the very beginning and its just got slower and slower :(

I'll be honest I'm not that hardcore about Halo MP. I only played Reach for a few months but evade was definitely one of my favourite abilities along with sprint and jetpack. In a slow paced game adding the ability to roll and evade just seemed to add some more movement to the firefights and im a fan of of anything that increases mobility for the player.

Retro

Def agree about increasing the speed. I always though Halo was kind of slow from the very beginning and its just got slower and slower :(

Playing Halo CE after any other version of the game feels like Master Chief is in an Indy car. It's insane.

CE feels like you're moving faster because of the 90 degree FOV.

Same thing happened with ODST. They widened the FOV from Halo 3 and it made people send emails to Bungie asking why they increased the speed of the Warthog, when it hadn't been touched at all.

... or that. Huh, I guess I never picked up on that being the reason, though it makes sense now that I think about it; I like to go with the more pulled back camera in racers because the sense of speed is greater.

An overall increase in speed and jump height would be welcome additions to Halo 4. I think they slowed things down to feel more 'weighty' because Spartans are supposed to be heavily armored super-humans... but to me, that just means they should move faster, even if they are walking human tanks. Make them feel heavy in other ways; Domino Theory's DBZ sound effect, for one, maybe seeing the ground crumble beneath you when you fall from a height too.

As terrible as the movie was, at least Terminator 3 was able to give you a sense that Arnie actually was a cyborg when he landed on shit.

FyreWulff

CE feels like you're moving faster because of the 90 degree FOV, which makes slightly faster walk speeds feel even more fast.

Same thing happened with ODST. They widened the FOV from Halo 3 and it made people send emails to Bungie asking why they increased the speed of the Warthog, when it hadn't been touched at all. You can try it with any game that lets you change the FOV on PC.

An overall increase in speed and jump height would be welcome additions to Halo 4

The thing to remember is that FOV and actual player speed relative to the world always go hand in hand for what the developer is going for. If they widen the FOV out to 90, they would slow down the player. If they narrow the FOV from Reach, they'd speed up the player. And it'd still feel like the same effective speed. Similarly with jump heights, if you drastically increase the jump height you also just scale your maps up vertically even more than they were (see: Tombstone in Halo 2) to account for it. You don't want to make the player too fast or too light or it makes you feel disconnected from the game world.

I'm sure Halo 4's speed and jump height will be fine, but I never want the jump height or speed from one Halo to be forcibly grafted onto another. It never works right. When MLG did it for 3, it feels like you're ice skating around Construct.

CLEEK

I want single player campaign and online to be treated as two separate beasts. Online can have as many abilities, weapon, item and movement tweaks as they see fit to improve the online experience. These should not automatically be in offline. I would love Master Chief to be the modelled after his CE version in single player. No extra abilities, no dual welding, no gimmicky items. Just Humanity's ultimate bad ass, with a long range grenade throw.

Most of the changes for the worse in the (single player campaign) sequels can be traced to tweaks and additions for online.

Oh yeah, and no enemy snipers. At all. Fuck that - the single worst, most frustrating addition in the sequels.

In the previous generation we had games that came late into a system's life while the hw was again old and their successor was in the horizon but with great results - GoW2, Riddick, Okami, Far Cry Instincts, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory are some examples - would these titles benefit from better hw? of course they would...did it stop them from being awesome games? hell no.

Halo 4 will most likely be the 360's swansong and hopefully a great one...either way the Halo series isn't going anywhere so a next gen Halo could probably be the big leap that you are expecting in terms of scale and ambition..besides the game is already in development for 3 years IIRC so the game is already designed around the 360's hardware and a next gen version that is also a launch ttle for the next xbox will probably only benefit the game in IQ, res and frame-rate.

Almost all the titles you mentioned either had terrible performance issues or were cut down PC titles. You're not helping your argument here. 3 Halo's is enough for one console. I guess I'd take a dual format release at this point (maybe then we'd finally get a Halo game in HD with a good framerate), but it'd still be disappointing.

A new Halo game isn't going to sell any Xboxes at this point. A true next generation Halo would absolutely get me to buy an Xbox 3 on day one. I just don't see who is benefiting from restricting the game to outdated hardware, its certainly not the fans and its certainly not Microsoft.

FyreWulff

Almost all the titles you mentioned either had terrible performance issues or were cut down PC titles. You're not helping your argument here. 3 Halo's is enough for one console. I guess I'd take a dual format release at this point (maybe then we'd finally get a Halo game in HD with a good framerate), but it'd still be disappointing.

Or you know, just wait two years for Halo 5.

Mayyhem

1. Halo 2-ish ranking system (Halo 3 is fine too, anything but the way Reach is set up in terms of EXP/Rank)
2. No Bloom
3. H3 movement/speed
4. More mysterious/mature campaign story
5. Scarier enemies (Reach did better at this than H3 but it could still be improved)
6. Cool new weapons, nothing drastically different, still want it to feel like Halo
7. If they're going to bring back a BR/DMR type weapon I hope it's like the Halo 3 BR, that was most satisfying to me, although the H2 BR was also great
8. Possibly more dark/gritty settings
9. Halo 3 sniper
10. New power-ups alongside Camo/Oversheild, but ditch the Armor Abilities completely

There is a lot more I could probably think of if I tried, but I don't want to bore people with a huge wall of text.

Feindflug

A new Halo game isn't going to sell any Xboxes at this point. A true next generation Halo would absolutely get me to buy an Xbox 3 on day one. I just don't see who is benefiting from restricting the game to outdated hardware, its certainly not the fans and its certainly not Microsoft.

So you want a Halo game built entirely around the capabilities of the new console...ok as I already said just wait for Halo 5 - Halo 4 is 3 years already in development for the 360, in other words you will be disappointed by it even if it will be a launch title for the next xbox because it won't be a true next generation Halo.

Tashi

Flag Juggling! It needs to be in. I hate what Bungie did to remove it. It's as much apart of Halo as just about everything else.

KageMaru

This isn't what the live action commercials look like. They still have the signature Halo color pallet.

Maybe I should've said I want Halo 4 to have Halo's color pallet with the image quality and the level of detail of Crysis2.

Sadly, I know the 360 isn't able to give me that and still maintain 4 player campaign co-op over xbl. So I'm resigned to the fact that Halo 4 will still maintain the visuals of a saturday morning cartoon.

I'd rather M$ and 343 launch the next system with the H4 trilogy so we can have some visual continuity instead of splitting the generation. :'(

I think there's a good chance Halo 4 will give us a better IQ and comparable level of detail as C2, but it'll still look like Halo. What you're describing sounds more like art direction and less technical limitation.

MS has a lot to gain from releasing Halo 4 on the 360 (other than selling to a large userbase). They already announced it as a trilogy, so assuming it's good, people who wish to play the following games will first need the next system.

Think about how MS hyped up Halo 3 like the next big thing with "finish the fight". Halo 4 on the 360 is one of MS' attempts at laying out a hook to latch people on to their next gen console.

I wish they would tell a good story and not have it devolve into "lol, religious cult."

I wish they would have less of a vehicular combat focus and shift the balance back to on-foot battles.

I wish I was a little bit taller.

Striker

3. H3 movement/speed
jbpqeTWRZudMnn.gif

I just wanted more of Halo 3 for Reach, which obviously disappointed me. So I'm hoping this is more like 3, but if it goes in a totally new direction than i might be fine with it, as long as it's not like Reach.

Basically I want Halo 4 to be as far from Reach as possible.

>Get rid of Armour Abilities . . . UUUGHHHHH
>Halo 3 movement speed is fine, but maybe a little bit faster this time?
>Destructible environments could be cool, but only if maps/levels are designed with it in mind from the beginning
>Make turrets powerful
>No bloom. Period.
>Powerful shotgun with range, maybe something that looks cool like CE's shotty.

GhaleonEB

My list is too long to put together. :lol

More than anything, I want 343 to make the core game feel like Halo again, and to me that means paring back on the game systems that pushed back on player input and actions; this is where Reach really went awry.

Removing the player inertia added with Reach and making us agile again. Removing bloom, because managing movement, weapon selection, distance, and aim are sufficient variables. We don't need to be punished for firing a weapon. Removing elements that grind combat to a halt (armor lock, yo). And so on.

I wish that to be the overarching philosophy of Halo 4's design. Make combat elegant and fluid again, not something that pushes back on the player at every turn.

Beyond that:

A deeper, more challenging Firefight mode (let us spend our cR earned on in-game upgrades, a true survival mode, etc.).

A more robust map editor, particularly for terrain.

A campaign with more open world elements.

Streamlined matchmaking.

More thoughtful matchmaking management. I've been so deeply disappointed in Bungie and now 343's management of Reach (Firefight is utterly neglected).

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

For example, I want the Chief to be able to vault to, over, and onto other platforms if he's really close them, but not as fast as this video's showing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acD6s...feature=relmfu (all interactions Faith has in the first 1:02 minutes of the film)

Yes. Yes. Yes. To everything.

Lingitiz

It would be pretty awesome if Chief crater'ed when landing like in DBZ or Crackdown.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So, no more "press ____ to flip Warthog"? But seriously, I'm with you. That's what I think of when I think of Chief. He's built like a superhero, why not have him act like one?

There should be a first-person animation for that [in campaign].

A lot of these immersive techniques are implemented quite nicely in Gears of War. For example, when you interact with objects, you usually push X followed by a small cutscene or you have to push A three times right after pushing X. In multiplayer, it's just a quick X button tap.

In Gears 3, the Sawed Off's reload time in campaign is almost half that of its reload time with the same weapon in multiplayer.

343i, and all other developers, really, need to understand that it's okay to completely separate the campaign and online experience.

Let campaign be the place where players are immersed into the universe that developers build through the eyes of the character that the developers build. Let multiplayer be the place where players are immersed into the universe through the players' own perception of the same universe.

waiting. what is it?

This.
halo-3-boxart.bmp

And This.
6475910078199650_l.jpg

Oh, and then the ultimate slap in the face.

Let's re-write our stories to fit in the crap and ignore the things we wrote down the first time.

halo-books-1-3-eric-s-nylund-paperback-cover-art.jpg
turned into --->
halo-fall-of-reach-cover.jpg

In Reach the game, Not a single Spartan-2 was even heard from (Not even via radio chatter) ... Except for this new made up "Jorge" fellow.

As far as I'm concerned Bungie took one of my favorite and cherished universes/stories and just threw it all away.

This.
http://www.gaming-unleashed.com/images/halo-3-boxart.bmp[IMG]

And This.
[IMG]http://s3-llnw-screenshots.wegame.com/11-6475910078199650/6475910078199650_l.jpg[IMG]

Oh, and then the ultimate slap in the face.

Let's re-write our stories to fit in the crap and ignore the things we wrote down the first time.

[IMG]http://i43.tower.com/images/mm102154908/halo-books-1-3-eric-s-nylund-paperback-cover-art.jpg[IMG] turned into ---> [IMG]http://www.skipstation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/halo-fall-of-reach-cover.jpg[IMG]

In Reach the game, Not a single Spartan-2 was even heard from (Not even via radio chatter) ... Except for this new made up "Jorge" fellow.

As far as I'm concerned Bungie took one of my favorite and cherished universes/stories and just threw it all away.[/QUOTE]
Have you read the re-issue of The Fall Of Reach? They haven't rewrote the whole book, just two small things got edited and some extra stuff were added.

Have you read the re-issue of The Fall Of Reach? They haven't rewrote the whole book, just two small things got edited and some extra stuff were added.

I did. I own all the Halo books. Like I said, I absolutely love the Story and Universe that is Halo. To me, it is breath taking.

But the games man, the games really disappointed me.

I agree with Domino Theory; I want the campaign and multiplayer to split down the middle in some aspects. In campaign, I want to feel like a 2 ton super soldier whenever I flip vehicles and run/vault over objects. In multiplayer, I want it to be a balanced more simple kind of gameplay ala Halo 2.

Oh, and I really, really want a terrain editor for forge. That would expand the possibilities for maps in an absolutely huge manner. Also, I want a color tint option for all objects. I'm not just saying for little lights in the texture, I'm talking tint the whole damn box with that color. Also, just give me one box that I can scale and resize to fit my needs. These three things are all I need to make infinitely better maps that what can be made with Forge 2.0 currently.

Tashi

Those little animation additions are nice but are so far down on my list of things I want. But it's a wish list so I can't knock.

Top Bottom