• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Wish List

monome

No returning maps

New vehicles

1 map that s totally bonkers

Longer SP

1 major new gametype

bigger difference between elite and spartan

race mixism in a team

1 new playable race

a limited set of cuztomisable weapons for each race

Keep the ability to fly but faster and shorter

Increased speed

Arnie

Same people who want dual-wielding to come back. Or sprint.

Eesh.
Pack those features in there, make it bulge.
Because it's a completely vapid suggestion. What difference does it make if a map is dark, or light, or wet. It doesn't. It's a visual gimmick that would wear off within your first two hours of multiplayer.
Oh man I used to want that. Like, depending on what time of the day you played the map, it would be represented on the map. I'm sure I wouldn't be crazy about it if it were actually implemented but I still think it's a cool idea.
It may be a cool idea, but it's suggestions like that which separate the average GAF peon from the designer at 343.

Imagine someone suggesting that at a Halo 4 multiplayer design meeting, eyes would roll.

I mean you as a player. It's just me thinking in portuguese, sometimes the english turns out weird.

You're welcome though ;) (a/s/l?)

Ha, I'm just messin as you probably figured out. I know your posts and from what I've seen your English is pretty top notch.

As far as the day/night/dynamic weather stuff...if its easy to do, fine. If it takes a lot of money/time, I say screw it.

No elites. No other spartans. A new game with chief, and a new alien race possibly two one good one evil. Limited UNSC weapons vehicles, only what was on his ship. All new vehicles, weapons, eviornments ect.

You know. I'm going into Halo 4 with an open mind. I really have no wishes other then death of armor abilities. Whatever 343 does I'll check out though. They have to do their own thing.

No elites. No other spartans. A new game with chief, and a new alien race possibly two one good one evil. Limited UNSC weapons vehicles, only what was on his ship. All new vehicles, weapons, eviornments ect.

Ha, doubtful, although I don't completely oppose it. I say the chief breaks down from all the pressure of saving the world and rebels against his own kind. Hey, it would make multiplayer a little more believable!

Is it? I've never played on anything less than legendary.

Okay, I don't see what that has to do with it being tied to difficulty. If the Marines just fired at the enemy constantly, vehicle battles would be a walk in the park. There would be no nuance, or not as much. It's why it's easier to do vehicles in co-op.

Plus, short, controlled bursts means a more accurate shot. :)

Havok

Okay, I don't see what that has to do with it being tied to difficulty. If the Marines just fired at the enemy constantly, vehicle battles would be a walk in the park. There would be no nuance, or not as much. It's why it's easier to do vehicles in co-op.

Plus, short, controlled bursts means a more accurate shot. :)
I get your point, and it's certainly valid, but artificially making encounters more difficult by having the AI be too stupid to A) use the weapon anywhere near as effectively as we know it can be used (either from not bursting long enough or by constantly aiming at what is very obviously the wrong target) or B) drive worth a damn after three games, for each of which the claim "yeah, it's soooo much better this time and it's finally viable!" has been made? Nah. There's a better way.

This-
Chopper_Full.jpg

Also, I agree that having alternate times of day for maps available would be cool. Im not sure if I would go as far as to say make it change when you play, but it would be cool to have night and day variants as well as other things. Bungie had talked about trying to get certain options like that into Halo Reach and forge.

Speaking of Forge, it needs an overhall. It would be really nice if you could choose different texture bases for the objects also (New, Old, Snowy, Ruined, Mossy, etc). That would definitely break up the same old same old look of forge maps.. through a few different skyboxes into the mix and it would be very, very nice.

Gameplay wise, I agree, I really liked Halo 2. I also do like sprint though, and I feel that Halo 4 should be its own game. It can't be said enough, if 343 doesn't change a thing the game will get stale.. I know AA's have ticked people off, but not all changes are bad and I really believe Halo has room for many. That said, I am not saying to make the game play like Call of Duty or anything like that.

Hm, AR starts vs BR starts vs DMR starts.. Why not allow the choice between those weapons instead of having "Slayer DMRs on Countdown" Or "Slayer on Countdown".. Just let people choose their weapons for some modes, but only the DMR/AR/BR.. Of course still have them placed on the map as well.

The cR and armory system needs revamped, with more to spend on, and more ways to unlock items. Also, Ranks need to come back that are non credit based.. But we can also have credit based on top of that IMO.

Eh, the list of possibilities goes on and on. I can't wait to see what 343 has planned.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Halo 2 style movement speed and jump height.
Good MP maps. Again, Halo 2 is the benchmark.
Don't forget good BTB maps. Reach only just now has good ones with the Anniversary maps.
No armor abilities. Or mayyyyybe drastically revamped ones.
Some sort of Metroid influence on the campaign. In tone/atmosphere (eerie, isolated, alien), but also perhaps in game mechanics (new abilities as you progress. double jump?).

* More Firefight with more modes. In particular I'd like to see something like a Siege mode that alternates between assault and defense within the same match.

* Incorporate co-op players into the storyline and cinematics.

I'm not a versus player at all, so everything else is just fine. Hell, everything I wished for after Halo 3 was done with Reach, so I'm good to go.

Arnie

Halo 2 movement and gravity. Hit scan BR. The Pit remake. Good maps, 12 minimum. In depth, Skill based ranking system.

Halo 2 style movement speed and jump height.
Good MP maps. Again, Halo 2 is the benchmark.
Don't forget good BTB maps. Reach only just now has good ones with the Anniversary maps.
No armor abilities. Or mayyyyybe drastically revamped ones.
Some sort of Metroid influence on the campaign. In tone/atmosphere (eerie, isolated, alien), but also perhaps in game mechanics (new abilities as you progress. double jump?).

That is a terrible idea, kitty cat.

That is a terrible idea, kitty cat.

For MP, yes.. For SP.. Well I suppose it depends, but I wouldn't mind them handling the game differently than past entries.

Also, I will add that I like Crysis 2's hold A for super jump ability. Im not saying its right for Halo, Im just saying the game could possibly go in directions like that.. But it ultimately depends how well its implemented.

For MP, yes.. For SP.. Well I suppose it depends, but I wouldn't mind them handling the game differently than past entries.

Also, I will add that I like Crysis 2's hold A for super jump ability. Im not saying its right for Halo, Im just saying the game could possibly go in directions like that.. But it ultimately depends how well its implemented.

I was half-joking with that reply, but I don't see how adding something like that would make the encounters easier to design (and better). It'd probably make 'em harder to design because you would have to account for people who have certain abilities and people who don't have certain abilities, and in the end every encounter will be less dynamic than starting people off on a level playing field.

Anyway, I have a feeling this feature won't happen, so I'm not worried.

Petrichor

Take away reticule bloom, armor abilities, overheating warthog chain gun,

basically, just pretend Halo Reach never existed. Also, no dual wielding.

AlStrong

Being able to swap weapons between co-op players would be nice. Always thought it was strange how you could do it with the AI but not each other.

Oh and running up to an enemy and ripping the weapon out of his hands would be pretty cool too.

I'd like a return to Halo 2's method of story telling and exposition. The brevity of cinematics in the other Halo games really doesn't do the story any justice.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
general multiplayer and matchmaking
- less playlists. something like BTB slayer, BTB objective, 4v4 slayer, 4v4 objective, team doubles, lonewolf, and 5v5 "action sack".
- visible ranks return across all playlists
- much more armor pieces and FAR better customization of spartans (emblem placement, paint individual armor pieces, etc)
- improved forge with landscape editing.
- server browser for custom games and community maps. 
- ODST flavored firefight. some maps with multiple factions (ex. marines, covenant, and flood)
- all new mp maps. 

armor abilities and items
- sprint returns and is the default AA
- hologram, modified jetpack, and modified evade return as map specific armor abilities to swap out with sprint. dropped when killed.
- new AA pick ups?
- camo, overshield, power drain, and bubble shield return as single use items ala halo 3
- new single use items?

weapons and vehicles
- removal of spartan laser completely!
- rocket launcher with vehicle lock on ala halo 2
- balance plasma launcher to be a slightly better anti-vehicle tool compared to the rocket launcher, but slightly worse against infantry.
- dmr/br combined into one gun. 3-shot not zoomed in, single shot zoomed (2x)
- vehicle physics need major tweaking after reach, especially the flippy warthog and sterile banshee. i'd like the banshee to feel more like a glider with actual momentum.
- vehicles should be balanced to be a force to be reckoned with, but not stupidly over powered (reach banshee).
- return of the chopper.

I don't understand the call for bloom, iron sights, better exp system, etc. for starters I think the Halo 3 progression model was the best fit. I long for the days when matches actually mean something so I'm hoping for ranked playlists. In terms of gunplay Halo has always been more fun when it is faster paced. H1 and 2 had quicker kill times and I think that benefitted the game. The implementation of bloom could not have been worse it really didn't work as intended in Reach so no bloom for Halo 4.

I want the Halo 4 that Ryan Payton wanted to make.

Also:

-Less health
-No more starting every MP round with a useless weapon
-Kill cam
- an emp grenade that automatically takes down a shield of any sort
- better enemy design; this game has zero memorable enemies
- better AI; Bungie's AI might be good by xbox 1 standards but having enemies with lots of health constantly charge me isn't what I'd consider complex enemy behavior

Didnt Halo 3 have a EMP grenade? Looking back, i really liked Halo 3.

Retro

Structure
One of my favorite parts of ODST was the atmosphere, with most major gameplay elements being utilized to give the player a sense of being a solitary soldier in a huge, abandoned city filled with alien invaders. I can't be the only one to get major Metroid Prime vibes from the Concept Art teaser from Halo Fest, and it's worth noting that Kynan Pearson (lead designer on Metroid Prime 1 & 2) and Jason Behr (lead level design on Metroid Prime) are now at 343. The Prime games were fantastic in terms of exploration and atmosphere, especially in the sense of being alone on a hostile planet.

IHppl.jpg

Part of me is hoping for a game structure similar to ODST: Master Chief is all alone on a mysterious forerunner world in the unknown reaches of space, surrounded by hostiles. All of the stages branch off from a single hub you have to carefully pick your way through because there's Very Bad Forerunner Things out there waiting to rip you to shreds.

This also allows for non-linear progression through the game; in the stage "Halo" from CE, players are able to pick which group of Marines they wish to rescue. This is roughly the same thing, expanded; the player might have several stages they can complete in any order. For example, there might be a Forerunner Armory, a version of the Silent Cartographer and a chunk of the Forward Unto Dawn. Each offers a useful reward;
- The Armory grants access to Forerunner weaponry.
- The Cartographer reveals parts of the Hub World.
- The Dawn has vehicles aboard which allow you to traverse the hub easier.​

I am not suggesting a Metroid-like progression (get Item X to access area A) through the game, simply the atmosphere and sense of an interconnected world that the Prime games pulled off extremely well. I am also not suggesting that Halo 4 feature lots of backtracking; you cross the same large area multiple times, unlocking access to new sections as you go. You only have to return to areas previously explored if they're on the way to the next level or if you're looking for unlockables... which brings me to my next point;

Z2i0i.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unlockables:
Scattered through the hub world are chunks of the Forward Unto Dawn (offering ammo replenishment for your UNSC weapons) and all sorts of goodies to uncover if you just open your eyes and look for them. This includes all armor permutations for the multiplayer aspect ("Create-a-Spartan"), which are no longer unlocked via Credits (which rewards grinding and raw time investment rather than skill anyways).

This rewards and encourages exploration of the hub, makes perfect sense (you're finding stuff that survived the crash rather than buying armor with an arbitrary currency) and diminishes the artificial inflation of playtime. Halo 4 should be fun enough that it doesn't need a carrot-and-stick to keep people motivated, and doesn't require the COD skinner box bullshit to keep people hooked.

Skulls would be hidden within the levels themselves, not the hub; that allows players to put the search-mode skills on pause and enjoy the action sequences, but still have one thing to hunt for (which is the current model).

Enemies:
I think we all can agree that the Covenant will be both too broken and too far removed to represent a threat in Halo 4, and the inclusion of the Flood on such a distant Forerunner world seems unlikely. And to be honest, though they are both fantastic enemies and key to the Halo mythology, they're both a little tired at this point.

I'm envisioning Halo 4 as featuring lots of Forerunner enemies; Sentinels, Enforcers and tons we haven't seen before (for example, this "Strato-Sentinel" cut from Halo 3:

vpSws.jpg

The idea of stepping into the shoes of Master Chief, alone on a planet filled with crap like THAT THING hunting me as I make my way across a vast and impossibly ancient landscape gives me goosebumps.

The Forerunner planet could also be home to a variety of non-intelligent indigenous creatures, similar to the Gúta in Reach. In fact, one of my disappointments with Reach was that we didn't really see much alien wildlife beyond those and the Moa. These wouldn't be enemies in the traditional sense, but they could be hostile and, if used sparingly, really make for some interesting encounters.

04XZP.jpg

Finally, there are a few hints that suggest other enemies that might appear; The terminals in Anniversary imply that the Didact and something called "Prometheans" are possibly alive and kicking, so in theory we could be fighting Forerunner robots AND forerunners who have somehow managed to survive all these years too.

Weaponry:
In my opinion, the weapon sandbox in Halo has gotten a bit too large and unfocused. I feel each weapon should have a niche, with very little overlap with other weapons.

First off, Bloom is removed. Instead, each weapon has a physical amount of recoil that impairs sloppy or improper firing. Halo 2's SMG 'Ride up' is the perfect example; instead of having an arbitrary mechanic like bloom, the gun simply became more unstable (and thus inaccurate) the longer you fired. Sniper Rifles would sway wildly from the kickback (reduced by crouching, of course). ARs spray their bullets everywhere because the player's screen is jerking about the longer the trigger is held. The goal is to have weapons react in a way that players can 'feel'.

Second, Covenant weapons will not appear in the campaign but will be retained for the sake of multiplayer. There will be substantial trimming here as well, so each Covey weapon has a niche as well.

0j7Zk.jpg

The setting also demands lots of new Forerunner weaponry. I like to think of this as the natural evolution of Halo's current Trinity; Melee / Gun / Grenade. On top of that layer, there is now Human / Covenant / Forerunner technology. The above example is from Halo: Legends, as is the only Forerunner weapon we've really seen apart from Sentinel Beams.

Default Weapon: The Silenced SMG
Can you tell I'm a fan of ODST? I feel that the Assault Rifle, though a Halo staple, makes for a piss-poor starting weapon (especially in multiplayer) and is probably underpowered because it is meant to be so common. I am also not a fan of the DMR as a starting weapon as it has too much versatility and ranged capability; why switch to anything else?

100z2.png

The Silenced SMG makes perfect sense as the Halo 4 "Default" weapon; Master Chief would want to be as quiet as possible to avoid drawing attention to himself on the Forerunner world, and the huge ammo capacity means less chance of running out. From a gameplay perspective, it has a scope (2x, no where near as powerful as the DMR's 3x), high rate of fire, and the ideal range to compliment the other traditional "staring weapon" (the pistol), falling into the close-to-medium range. It would not be Headshot capable, but it would cause a great deal more damage when zoomed in. Like in Halo 2 and ODST, counter-aiming the recoil can lead to true mastery with the weapon.

The goal is to make the default weapon of Halo 4 powerful enough that you can function well with it, but don't keep it at all times, and rewards skillful use.

Activated Abilities:
Finally, Armor abilities are gone, but some of their functions (as well as bits of Halo 3's Equipment) are rolled into Halo 4 in a new way; weapons can have special activated abilities. These essentially function like Armor abilities, with a similar UI element and recharge time, and an identical activation method. However, a weapon ability can only be used when that weapon is in-hand, and not all weapons have them.

I wanted to include some degree of AA-like function because I honestly like the variety they bring to the game, just not in the way they were implemented in Reach. It also touches on my comment earlier about certain Halo weapons starting to feel redundant or pointless; AAs can be something extra to differentiate them from other weapons that are too similar in form or make a cruddy weapon suddenly have a more desirable function. Covenant weapons, for example, really need something to make them distinctive again. I also like the concept of having a Secondary Fire mechanic but don't think the standard implementation would work for Halo.

The important part is that the abilities are now paired exclusively with weapons, limiting the potential for abuse. No more Active Camo + Sniper Rifle bullshit.

Here's a few examples;

Assault Rife
The AR could generate a small "Overshield Pulse" when activated; your shields temporarily gain a small amount of Overshield for a few seconds when activated. This makes the AR feel like a heavy on-point infantry weapon, and provides a sort of AR-metagame; knowing when to pop your extra shield boost while bearing down on somebody with the AR would require a great deal of skill to judge. Too soon and they just chew the extra shield up, too late and they chew you up. This would be an interesting dynamic without the cheapness of Armor Lock.

Shotgun:
To promote the Shotty as a heavy weapon and to give it a little more function beyond its very short range, an interesting Activated Ability would be an underslung grenade launcher that uses the grenades you're carrying as ammo. Thus, you have a slow reloading, limited range power weapon that can also chuck grenades out quite a distance (faster and further than you can throw). Think of it as the Bastard son of the Pro Pipe.

Sniper Rifle
The Sniper Rifle is such a powerful weapon, it's AA is kind of basic; a target locator. Not only can it call out where an enemy is at to all of your team mates, but in single player allows you to mark your targets when you and your friends want to take out as many targets at once and wish to avoid doubling up on the same guy.

And of course, covenant weapons can have mini-stealth generators, Forerunner weapons could have enemy-seeking shots... there's a lot of potential there.

Another neat feature might be weapons that have secondary firing modes (with the recharge timer representing a delay in switching), like having the BR and DMR merged into a single weapon with ultra-precise single fire mode and less-accurate but faster burst mode. Imagine using Burst mode to take down shields then switching over to single-fire for the headshot. Because there's a delay in switching, it's not something you can do immediately again.

There could even be weapon abilities that could regenerate a small amount of health, to say nothing of Armor Abilities and Equipment that could be converted and put on the right weapon, like decoys, radar jamming, EMP bursts... give an anti-vehicle weapon the ability to drop a land mine, perhaps? The point is, you are limited to whatever AA appears on the weapon, which should help rein in the potential for abuse.

And yes, I have too much time on my hands.

Give me Halo 2 esque multiplayer and then give me a forge that has a terrain editor. Also, I really hope that they didn't just higher those Metroid Prime developers for nothing. I want to explore a huge, alien environment alone with some super awesome fitting music to go with it. friendlies and stuff like that can come in near the end of the game, but I want to be alone and isolated for most of it.

All I want from 343 is for them to do their own goddamn thing and not to be swayed by whatever fad is 'in'. The Halo games have always operated that way and I don't wanna see that change.

All I want from 343 is for them to do their own goddamn thing and not to be swayed by whatever fad is 'in'. The Halo games have always operated that way and I don't wanna see that change.
Yep. Its high time for the Halo series to mix up the formula but at the same time a lot of the hardcore fanbase is very sensitive to even the smallest of changes. It seems like an impossible position for 343 to be in.

As long as the game has a well designed sandbox, a nice balance of infantry and vehicle combat, devious and fun AI, and large vistas primed for emergent acts of awesomeness I'm game. That's the core of Halo for me, and its survived all the tweaks and changes over the years.

Yep. Its high time for the Halo series to mix up the formula but at the same time a lot of the hardcore fanbase is very sensitive to even the smallest of changes. It seems like an impossible position for 343 to be in.

As long as the game has a well designed sandbox, a nice balance of infantry and vehicle combat, devious and fun AI, and large vistas primed for emergent acts of awesomeness I'm game. That's the core of Halo for me, and its survived all the tweaks and changes over the years.

How about fuck the hardcore fan base? They make up a tiny portion of the fan base and they shouldn't be catered to at all. One of bungies biggest problems imo was catering to that base in the first place and assuming it made up anymore than a tiny fraction of their player base.

The master chief is the big selling point of the franchise (and that's why reach is going to be the first game in the series to actually sell less than its predecessor). As you said as long as those things remain intact than i don't think many people will be disappointed at all.

Woorloog

Banned
Something that shakes up core gameplay. Something that does it well. Not armor abilities, those simply fucked up the gameplay. Something that feels like Halo but is something bigger and better. I have no idea what that could be of course... i'm just hoping 343i does something great.
Also (mostly in case the core gameplay stays the same), no utility weapons with specialist weapons. Only specialist weapons or all weapons should be more equal (Call of Duty/Battlefield-like). These scenarios allow me to play as i wish, current system forces me to be a mid-range fighter who uses one fucking weapon game after game after game after game, with occasional power weapon whoring.

1. halo reach style health + sheild.
2. (a) armor abilities are permanant upgrades that are found in a metroid esque fashion while exploring the new enviroment.
2. (b) using armor abilities cost energy from your sheilds, just like in the books the spartan can allocate sheild strength to specific parts of the body at the cost of exposing armor, so too should it apply to their amor abilities.
3. specific weapons are more effecient on specific enemies.
4. there's an odst style hub overworld.
5. keep recoil on the weapons, just dont give it a hud indicator like you've always done before. (mostly to shut people up about it).
6. keep a good balance between weapons, melee, vehicles and grenades.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
An open beta available for download right on the XBL marketplace with feedback heavily taken into consideration.

Sniper Rifle
The Sniper Rifle is such a powerful weapon, it's AA is kind of basic; a target locator. Not only can it call out where an enemy is at to all of your team mates, but in single player allows you to mark your targets when you and your friends want to take out as many targets at once and wish to avoid doubling up on the same guy.

Oh man, this is a beautiful idea. Reminds me a bit of Battlefield, but it would change the way the Sniper Rifle could be beneficial to the team for people like me who are absolute garbage with it. In fact, I think secondary uses for weapons is just a cool idea in general. Great post.

An open beta available for download right on the XBL marketplace with feedback heavily taken into consideration.

Yes, please. This is something I really hope happens, and I'm starting to get fairly sceptical that it won't, since we haven't heard anything yet.

-----

Also, I know it's probably been beaten to death, but I still like the idea of a simple custom game browser.

Havok

One of bungies biggest problems imo was catering to that base in the first place and assuming it made up anymore than a tiny fraction of their player base.
Don't be crazy, those are their bread and butter players, the people that play every single night and have a deep investment into the series, buying all of them regardless of quality, instead of playing Living Dead with their bros once a week and then dropping it for Call of Duty. Besides, making a mechanically deep and balanced game for the hardcore will usually cause a trickle-down, still letting players who don't give as much of a shit have fun.

Besides, their biggest problem was trying to fix problems that didn't exist. Our starting weapon was too consistent, and hitscan wasn't accurate to our vision of simulating everything! Better add spread and travel time, then later excessive bloom. People saved equipment and ended up dying without using it (this was not among the numerous problems with equipment, to be clear)! Better give a dumb ability to everyone on spawn so they can't possibly forget - instead of making the abilities that equipment provided more special by decreasing their frequency, let's do the opposite. Rockets were toooo powerful and tracked too well! Solution: Give players a totally broken antivehicle sniper weapon that is incredibly easy to use while giving zero indication to the players being targeted that they are about to die with no way of avoiding the fivefold laser of doom...wait, that's the same thing as the problem from before. What were we doing again? I can't even come up with a fake problem that caused them to take movement speed down as far as they did from 2 to 3.

On the thread topic: Give me a consistent starting weapon for the first time in years. Let my movement speed be fast enough that I don't need an ability to escape from fights I know I can't win if I take the right routes. Give me vehicles that aren't powerhouses of death, but are useful for guerrilla tactics and fast transportation. Give me antivehicle weapons that give a clear indication that I am being targeted and that I have a chance to avoid if I am a skilled driver - you were so close with the Plasma Launcher, the best addition to the series in recent years. At least act like you care about objective gametypes instead of ignoring them for months and months on end. Give a lot of solid variations on the core gametypes, borrowing from past games instead of starting from scratch each time. Where did One Flag Fast and other gametypes tweaked to fit the maps' quirks go? Did they fall in the "Bungie hated Halo 2 and ignored everything it did right" hole? Design maps for specific objective gametypes instead of jack-of-all-trades shitty-at-most-of-them maps. Have a vision of what you want to be played on a map and stick with it. Most of all, learn from your mistakes. With each and every Halo release sans ODST, Snipers has been integrated in the Team Slayer release, and each and every time, minus Anniversary, it has been separated into its own playlist after everyone complains. Scorpions have no place in regular multiplayer outside of a wacky gametype environment. Make a list of things you know people don't like and don't try it.

DSN2K

I dont want it to be anything like the previous games in the series. 343 should be defining a new Halo experience, their take on Halo.

Dreaver

Singleplayer
- A dark, gritty setting (being all alone), similar to ODST. I loved the 'just an average soldier' vibe. Not being the super overpowered Master Chief anymore.
- A new alien race (Forerunners?) as a new major enemy race. I'd love something like Gears of War 3, where
The orignal enemies aren't the main villains anymore, but just a "third party".
. I'd love it they would show up later in the game.
- A return of the Covenant, but less important/big as the other Halo's. (I mean, they can't remove the Covenant in total can they?!)
- No more Flood (I doubt they would let the Flood return with some kind of lame reason).
- New weapons, new vehicles but also a return to certain ones (Warthog, Ghost, DMR, etc etc.) but also quite a bunch of new (technology) ones.

I'd love a setting where you crash on the Forerunner planet. You would be all alone in a dangerous, big new world. You will have to discover the secrets of the Forerunners and try to stay alive. I'd love if the humans/Covenant/Arbiter would show up the second half of the game (wormhole?).

I hope the game will be refreshing (new enemies, a lot of new weapons, a big dark gritty world where you are just 'small' instead of the superhero) but also keeps a lot of things of past Halo's (Covenant, mechanics, gameplay).

Multiplayer
1. Remove Armor Abilities, stupid, and game-breaking.
2. Better maps then Reach had...

WrikaWrek

Banned
An exciting story, better characters, cooler situations, better pacing, better dialog, better ART design.

It's Halo 4, we all know it's gonna play great.

Retro

Nice post. I agree with a lot of what you've said.

Thanks. I was originally going to post a bit on vehicles and more details on weapons, but it's already kind of a monster of a post and honestly, I could spend the whole weekend tinkering with weapon balance...

Also (mostly in case the core gameplay stays the same), no utility weapons with specialist weapons. Only specialist weapons or all weapons should be more equal (Call of Duty/Battlefield-like). These scenarios allow me to play as i wish, current system forces me to be a mid-range fighter who uses one fucking weapon game after game after game after game, with occasional power weapon whoring.

If you're refering to the DMR as the "one fucking weapon", then you're absolutely right. You might also be right in applying that to the BR, especially when the noob combo was in effect.

That said, I don't think Call of Duty-style weapons is the answer, as Halo has always been about a very small pool of weapons with each fulfilling a unique role. The problem is that the DMR (and BR, to some but no where near the same extent) had too much reach (lol) and power and completely eclipsed the role of other weapons. It even tore apart vehicles. To me, the answer is not moving towards equalized weapons, but careful testing and balance to make sure no single weapon dominates the field. How the DMR got into Reach as it exists even after the TU is astounding.

Oh man, this is a beautiful idea. Reminds me a bit of Battlefield, but it would change the way the Sniper Rifle could be beneficial to the team for people like me who are absolute garbage with it. In fact, I think secondary uses for weapons is just a cool idea in general. Great post.

Thanks for the compliment. I too am shite with the Sniper, but somehow always manage to find myself with one (I tend to snatch it up if to keep it out of enemy hands). I also find that I am often sniping targets with teammates right there who could finish the bastard off if they knew he was nearby.

Thus, giving the Sniper Rifle a 'call out' button makes sense; a sniper is always hanging back keeping a big-picture-view on things, so having a feature like this sort of automates scouting. Good teams of players should already be doing this with communication, but for the average Halo player (that is, stuck on a team with no microphones or in party chat) it would be an immense help.

On the thread topic: Give me a consistent starting weapon for the first time in years.

What's your opinion on my suggestion above, giving players the Silenced SMG from ODST? Seems like it would be something useful enough to not feel you're gimped from the start, but not so powerful you hang onto it forever, but I'd love more opinions.

Give me antivehicle weapons that give a clear indication that I am being targeted and that I have a chance to avoid if I am a skilled driver - you were so close with the Plasma Launcher, the best addition to the series in recent years.

I'd love to see a Spartan Laser-esque "EMP Cannon". It would take less time to build up a charge, but doesn't immediately destroy or even shut down the vehicle. Instead, it causes the controls to get 'sticky' (causing no change to the vehicle's actual performance, mind you) after the first shot, worse after the second, and then actually can destroy the vehicle on the third or fourth shot.

Against infantry, it just depletes shields on the first shot instead of vaporizing everything it touches.

Top Bottom