• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 for Xbox 360 B-Roll footage

Sectus

I had a dream where I saw the game run on 360 and I was thinking "I'm curious how this'll look considering the PC version is very demanding.", and then I saw the 360 version where every character and object were pre-rendered sprites.

I'm a little disappointed this didn't turn out be to true.

jett

D-Member
Looks pretty close to the PC version and runs really smooth too. zomg next-gen visuals on the 360!

Fredrik

Don't know if it's because I'm loking at it on my iphone but that looked absolutely amazing, even the framerate looked to be really smooth. Interest rising

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Looks like an excellent port.

I can see some lower quality shadows, aliasing, lower res textures from what I can remember at 720p full screen. But that's to be expected. Even then youtube is compressing. The framerate looks pretty good. Looks like 360 owners will get a good port.

I wonder what the episode 1 (?) forest looks like, because that was demanding on PC until an early patch fixed crossfire performance.

RedAssedApe

Banned
No surprised that it looks great...considering they canned the first console port due to quality issues (although I thought those early screenshots looked good too).

lupinko

Looks good to me, if I didn't have the option of playing this on PC, I would be happy to wait for the 360 version.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I already own the pc version but will be more than happy to purchase this if its a great port. I want to support them any way i can. But i hope good sales here doesnt mean they abandon their pc ambitions. Cause the game wouldnt look nearly as good if they didnt trick out that red engine with so many awesome features.

eshwaaz

Thanks for the link - that looks great to me.

Reckoning in February, Mass Effect 3 in March, Witcher 2 360 and Xenoblade Chronicles (USA) in April - the first third of 2012 is looking to be amazing for RPG fans.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm hoping CDProjekt applies what they learned in terms of optimization over to Witcher 3. It's all the same engine I think.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
My god that engine is just damn well crafted to see how well that is running on 2005 hardware, and definitely on PC medium settings. Microsoft should pay attention to those guys and get them to work on a title for them or something, I'd love them to try something on the sci-fi genre and have something similar like Mass Effect 1.

Thanks for the link - that looks great to me.

Reckoning in February, Mass Effect 3 in March, Witcher 2 360 and Xenoblade Chronicles (USA) in April - the first third of 2012 is looking to be amazing for RPG fans.

Amen :D

Wait, no godrays?

edit: oh they're still there, just more subtle

Looks and runs much better than I thought it would.

Yeah, they've been dialed back a bit. Still looks great though :)

Looks fantastic, probably one of the best looking games on the 360.

Can't help but wonder what Dark Souls would've looked like using this engine.

DarkChild

Banned
From 1UP preview!
For most games, a version that features extra content and superior controls would qualify if as the version to play. However, The Witcher 2 is not most games -- it's one of the best-looking games ever made. There's simply no way that the 360 could match the visuals of the original -- a game designed for machines with as much as ten times the power. That said, The Witcher 2 might also be one of the graphically impressive 360 games ever made. Throughout the event, various developers asked me what I thought of the game's visuals. Their worry made it clear that the game's looking impressive was one of their top priorities. The geometry isn't as complex, textures were blurry (by PC standards), and the distinct lack of fancy graphical effects took away some of the grandeur from a few previously impressive scenes. However, when compared to its console competition, The Witcher 2 easily holds its own against the Uncharted 3s of the world. Whether it's "the best-looking console game" is a matter for fans to argue over on message boards, the important thing is this: At no point did I get that familiar feeling that I'm playing an inferior version of the game -- no frame rate hiccups like Saints Row the Third, no squinting at the screen trying to make out low-res objects in the distance like Battlefield 3. I'm not sure what I'll do when I get home tonight: Do I continue on with my PC playthrough? Or do I wait until WB publishes the 360 version on April 17?

moojito

Very nice! Mad props as well if they binned an earlier version if it wasn't good enough. I imagine not enough of that goes on these days.

Very nice! Mad props as well if they binned an earlier version if it wasn't good enough. I imagine not enough of that goes on these days.

Different game, that was a port of The Witcher called Rise of the White Wolf which they outsourced. This one is all in-house.

Holy crap, that looks incredible. O_O

Seriously, how is it possible that it looks so much better than any other 360 title. Get these guys working on a 720 exclusive MS. GODDAMN.

Moaradin

That's how ports should be made. Being PC exclusive gave them more room to get the best edge possible for console hardware. Can't wait until the Enhanced Edition free update. I've been wanting to replay Witcher 2, so now I have a good opportunity.

Tailer

Wow man that looks really good for being on 360 man wish they could patch up the PC version so that it could run better on my gaming laptop. But I am damn happy that they are putting up enhanced edition to PC for FREE I mean wish more company could do the same... But that's not gonna happen in a long time.

Looks impressive indeed. Actually, density might be largely there, but draw distance and textures look like they took a hit. Definitely an impressive port, though I think the extra flash and effects are what make the pc version.

Not sure what the 1up article is getting at though. Playing the game maxed out on the PC is going to look alot more impressive.

DarkChild

Banned
Looks impressive indeed. Actually, density might be largely there, but draw distance and textures look like they took a hit. Definitely an impressive port, though I think the extra flash and effects are what make the pc version.

Not sure what the 1up article is getting at though. Playing the game maxed out on the PC is going to look alot more impressive.
Sure it is, they said it in preview, there is no comparison. But I think its not really fair to compare Witcher 2 on 360 with PC version and not other games on system.

Sure it is, they said it in preview, there is no comparison. But I think its not really fair to compare Witcher 2 on 360 with PC version and not other games on system.

Yeah thats fair. I def dont think it will topple U3, but it will be the best looking rpg on consoles. Although, some of the stuff in ME3 looks like it could challenge that.

Yeah thats fair. I def dont think it will topple U3, but it will be the best looking rpg on consoles. Although, some of the stuff in ME3 looks like it could challenge that.

Considering how much more it is doing than Uncharted 3, I think it looks better.

I think it looks better regardless.

DarkChild

Banned
I agree on that. Although, UC3 is pretty linear on rails experience, but they put enormosly alot of polish in it to be topped by PC developers RPG ported on consoles. Its artstyle is to me whats better looking than both of games you mentioned though.

The low quality capture is letting the strength of the art direction show through, but let's not kid ourselves here, the gulf between the two versions will be quite palpable.

Looks really good. As long as it the graphics are decent I'll be really happy. Most importantly though, it looks like it runs solid. That was my main concern.

gabbo

Holy crap, that looks incredible. O_O

Seriously, how is it possible that it looks so much better than any other 360 title. Get these guys working on a 720 exclusive MS. GODDAMN.

Porting down to the 360 from PC can look amazing when care is taken to do so.
Your second sentence however: GTFO

Odrion

Banned
CD Projekt deserves all the money.

But not to be bought out by Microsoft. They need to fulfill their destiny of being the Polish version of Valve.

Seriously after seeing how Microsoft's other development studios turned out, fuck off on that buyout idea.

edit: I hope they bring some of the optimization tricks of the console version over to the PC, like what Valve did after the X-Box port of HL2.

Top Bottom