• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

radcliff

Kind of..

EAD 5
Wii Fit
Wii Fit Plus
Steel Diver
Star Fox 64 3D

In Development:
Unannounced Title

EAD 5 are a mystery. I could easily see them making the Wii U version of Wii Fit but then I could also see them continuing to work with outside parties making 3DS games while Wii Fit U gets palmed off to a third party developer. We know Nintendo are working with third parties on new titles (Luigi's Mansion 2 being the latest one I can think of).

This is one of the teams to speculate about

I think EAD 5 may be the team Miyamoto is making his new IP with. The Starfox and F Zero character artist/creator is in this group. Also, based on the fact that this team works with outside developers (Vitei- Steel Diver, Q Games- Starfox 64 3D, Sega- F Zero GX) and that Wii Fit probably doesn't take up too much personnel/resources to develop, this could be one of the, if not the, smallest EAD teams. Didn't Miyamoto say he wanted to work with smaller development teams on smaller scale projects. EAD 5 could be that team.

Regardless of what anyone says the Zelda demo for lighting alone blew anything else this ten out of the water.
And if dev kits have gotten "Much Better" since December alone, how good have they gotten since that demo was made last May?

ultrazilla

Gold Member
While I know the 360 and PS3 can output graphics at 1080p, I understand that most of the time we're *not* getting that actual resolution but an upscaled picture. Simply because it taxes the hardware.

Since the Wii-U is capable of apparently playing games in 1080p(not upscaled and most likely at a solid framerate of let's say minimum 30fps) wouldn't that by proxy make it substantially more powerful than current gen systems?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
btw why are you guys taking "arkam" seriously? Speaking of his name, port of Arkham City already has beena nnounced. How could they port that if it was less powerful than 360!? Lego City Stories screenshots also indicate graphics as good as current ps3 games...He is obviously jnot a developer. If I said I was really Zach Galifinakis would you believe me too?
The information he posted about the amount of RAM in the devkits is seemingly incorrect. Well, unless said devkit is very old, for a different platform, or was cut in half with a broadsword (you never know).
He also apparently didn't bother to confirm his credentials with the mods.
So, no reason to take him seriously.

Caramello

I think EAD 5 may be the team Miyamoto is making his new IP with. The Starfox and F Zero character artist/creator is in this group. Also, based on the fact that this team works with outside developers (Vitei- Steel Diver, Q Games- Starfox 64 3D, Sega- F Zero GX) and that Wii Fit probably doesn't take up too much personnel/resources to develop, this could be one of the, if not the, smallest EAD teams. Didn't Miyamoto say he wanted to work with smaller development teams on smaller scale projects. EAD 5 could be that team.

Indeed they could be.

So far based on EAD only (except I added Smash Bros.), Nintendo could have the following line up:

Wii U: Pikmin 3, Unannounced Wii U Series title #1, Unannounced Wii U Series title #2?

3DS: New Super Mario Bros, Animal Crossing

Wii U: Super Mario

3DS: The Legend of Zelda

Wii U: Mario Kart, The Legend of Zelda

3DS: Super Smash Bros.

Wii U: Animal Crossing, New Super Mario Bros., Super Smash Bros.

3DS: The Legend of Zelda Sequel?

It's very hard to fill in the gaps of what else could be coming but to me, this is the basic structure of titles around which Nintendo will develop games, whether they be new IP's or revivals.

I think Nintendo are going to have a pretty freaking huge E3 this year, I watched last years press conference again and it was clear that they were really trying to target the core gamer. I think we'll see games like Resident Evil 6, GTA 5, Medal of Honor 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (unless they can't talk about it as per Microsoft's exclusivity agreement) etc all confirmed for the system among many others.

Obviously they'll have many of their own games to show too and they usually show a bit of the games they have coming in the next year and a half in the lead up to the systems launch (look at the 3DS for example). Also they'll have to juggle the 3DS as games like Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, Mario Tennis, any unannounced core titles and their new unannounced expanded audience titles (which will probably require demonstrations). Also third party 3DS support beyond E3 is largely unknown so expect to hear some announcements on that front too.

It's going to be pretty damn packed and I can't wait!

I'd love to see Reggie up on stage saying, "Okay guys, we don't have enough time to give you all the usual sales bollocks, so here's it all compressed into 20 seconds..."

Screen on stage shows a quick succession of the usual graphs, sales figures and the dialogue that Reggie/Iwata would say when talking about hardware and software sales for the Wii and 3DS.

Then the U info blowout starts lol

I can't see it happening but it would be quality!!!

Goodlife

The information he posted about the amount of RAM in the devkits is seemingly incorrect. Well, unless said devkit is very old, for a different platform, or was cut in half with a broadsword (you never know).
He also apparently didn't bother to confirm his credentials with the mods.
So, no reason to take him seriously.

Are you saying the newest dev kit has 2GB?

Caramello

I'd love to see Reggie up on stage saying, "Okay guys, we don't have enough time to give you all the usual sales bollocks, so here's it all compressed into 20 seconds..."

Screen on stage shows a quick succession of the usual graphs, sales figures and the dialogue that Reggie/Iwata would say when talking about hardware and software sales for the Wii and 3DS.

Then the U info blowout starts lol

I can't see it happening but it would be quality!!!

Well last year they didn't talk about sales at all, I don't think they have for a couple of years actually so I don't think we'll have to worry about that ;) Except maybe something about the 3DS later in the presentation maybe.

Because its plain illogical that the Wii-U would be even weaker than a 360.
Wii U is going to be maybe 1.5x as powerful as Xbox 360 or PS3. Here's what my sources had to say:
Miyamoto bicycled to the telegraph office and sent a message to NOA. Later that day Reggie was seen entering his Model T, going to the ATI museum, and cutting a deal for something on the low end from their 2007 lineup.

FreeMufasa

?

I think I recall you posting few times in this thread before as well. Why are you in the thread if you are not interested?

I am interested, more than the Xbox 3 and PS4. I'm probably not going to buy a next gen console for a few years atleast. I still want to see all the games and stuff though.

Wii U: Animal Crossing, New Super Mario Bros., Super Smash Bros.

There's no way Nintendo leaves Wii U on the market for three years without SSB.

E3 2005 - SSBB announced even though no work had begun
E3 2006 - First SSBB trailer
Winter 2007 - Original SSBB launch date
Spring 2008 - Actual SSBB launch date

Looking at this, we may see an SSBU/3D trailer at E3 this year, with an expected 2013, 2014 at the latest, release.

Fair enough. Not sure what I can say that will back my claims up without getting my self in trouble. But I will try to clarify a bit without getting too specific.

The current Wii U dev kit i am talking about (not this supposed new one in the last few weeks) Is slightly LESS powerful than the Xbox 360. What I mean by that is that we would have to scale back/change our Xbox/PS3 games to run on the console. Its a tri core out of order cpu with 1GB of pretty slow ram and a decently featured gpu that lacks raw muscle. Its good and efficient, just not that powerful. As we all know they can change it and according to rumors they have. But nothing they can do this late in the game is going to dramatically change its performance. When it ships it will be in the ball park of the Xbox 360/PS3 (give or take a little). But in no way will it be 2x or more powerful then the HD twins. Just not happening.

I am a huge Nintendo fanboy, so I am disappointed that they are not putting more power in the box. Nintendo will have no problem making great looking games on it, and 3rd party studios will be able to port games from 360/ps3. But when ever MS/Sony show their next consoles it might not be so true.

So believe it or not. Either way is cool by me.

Pretty much what I predicted all along. Right down to the 1Gb of DDR3 RAM (aka, slow) that was rumored.

Still a tad disappointing though, the reason I wanted Wii U to be at least 30% more powerful than PS360 was to nudge MS and Sony into action about next gen. If what you say is true they'll have zero need to.

I predicted the RV730 GPU, which should have had a little more beef than RSX/Xenos, but perhaps it's custom or downclocked.

ozfunghi

Pretty much what I predicted all along. Right down to the 1Gb of DDR3 RAM (aka, slow) that was rumored.

Hehe. You make it sound as if what he says is more credible than what developers of Gearbox, Vigil etc... have said, for the sole reason that it corresponds with your predictions.

I guess we'll know in a few months.

Caramello, on a side note I gather they will release both the WiiU and 3DS Smash bros versions roughly simultaneously, as they allegedly are going to put some cross-platforms features.

Speaking of which, since WiiU games in HD will need longer times than all previous iterations, we may be expecting in the foreseeable future the WiiU to have less first-party games than Wii's line-up - although they may have been working stealthly on a bunch of new games already as far as we know - and in this possible scenario third-parties are going to be mostly important in WiiU's future line-up.

There's no way Nintendo leaves Wii U on the market for three years without SSB.

E3 2005 - SSBB announced even though no work had begun
E3 2006 - First SSBB trailer
Winter 2007 - Original SSBB launch date
Spring 2008 - Actual SSBB launch date

Looking at this, we may see an SSBU/3D trailer at E3 this year, with an expected 2013, 2014 at the latest, release.

Problem officer. There are two versions of the game being made, development just began late last year or these past couple of weeks, and theres also a lot more work to be done, since the Wii U is an HD system.
I'd say its possible to have to wait 3 years. You may not want to wait that long, but it'll probably happen.

Caramello

2003 - Present

Brownie Brown
Sword of Mana
Magical Starsign
Mother 3
Heroes of Mana
Blue Dragon Plus
Livly Garden
Super Mario 3D Land (Co-Dev)

In Development:
Fantasy Life 3DS

I think we'll see Brownie Brown collaborate more with EAD Tokyo on Mario titles in the future with the success of 3D Land.

HAL Laboratory
Kirby Air Ride
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Mother 3
Kirby Squeak Squad
Pokemon Ranger
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Picross 3D
Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Kirby Mass Attack

In Development:
Unannounced Kirby titles (3DS, Wii U)
Super Smash Bros titles

Intelligent Systems
WarioWare Inc.: Mega Party Games (GCN Remake)
Nintendo Puzzle collection
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
WarioWare: Touched!
WarioWare: Twisted!
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Super Paper Mario
Light Speed Card Battle: Card Hero
Planet Puzzle League
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
WarioWare: Snapped!
WarioWare: DIY
Dragon Quest
Eco Shooter: Plant 530
Panel Connection: 3 Minute Rocket
Fire Emblem Remake DS
Pushmo/Pullblox

In Development:
Paper Mario 3DS This Year although it could be pushed back to give room to NSMB
Fire Emblem: Awakening This Year

We'll see a Paper Mario on Wii U in 2014

Nd Cube
Tube Slider
Wii Party
Wii Play Motion

In Development:
Mario Party 9

We'll probably see a Mario Party or Wii U Party type game in 2014

Monolith Soft
Disaster: Day of Crisis (2008)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008)
Soma Bringer (2008)
Xenoblade Chronicles (2010)

In Development:
Unannounced titles

Should see an announcement next year for a 2013 release in Japan (Wii U)

Project Sora
Kirby's Epic Yarn

In Development:
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Super Smash Bros 3DS (Probably 2014)
Super Smash Bros Wii U (Probably 2015)

Retro Studios
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Mario Kart 7

In Development:
Unannounced title

I think we'll see this game at E3 2013 with a holiday release that year.

Which means Nintendo's release schedule will look a little more like this:

Wii U: Pikmin 3, Unannounced Wii U Series title #1, Unannounced Wii U Series title #2?

3DS: New Super Mario Bros, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, Fire Emblem

Wii U: Super Mario, Monolith Soft project, Retro Studio's Project

3DS: The Legend of Zelda, Kirby?

Wii U: Mario Kart, The Legend of Zelda, Wii U Party/Mario Party 10

3DS: Super Smash Bros.

Wii U: Animal Crossing, New Super Mario Bros., Super Smash Bros., Kirby?

3DS: The Legend of Zelda Sequel?

Well yeah thats what I mean, he's saying that so there's no way he'll be proven wrong.

Well as lherre told us there had been no changes in the hardware over time. However if he's talking about 1GB, then I wonder if they are fully using the memory since it was indicated to us that Nintendo has opened up more than that.

Just entertaining the thought that Arkam's colleagues might indeed have faced the need to scale down something versus an existing 360 content, I'd say it could be something that heavily relied on Xenon's VMX128 units. That would be the scenario I touched upon earlier when BMF and me were discussing the CPU options. Back then I said nintendo needed a clock-y CPU there just to hit the single-thread FLOPs of Xenon, even though a lower clock CPU could still be times more efficient at general-purpose scenarios than Xenon.

Everything else from Arkam's post raises eyebrows, though. No matter what slow-ass memory or modest AMD GPU circa the past four years nintendo might have put in there, it would not be LESS powerful than 360's counterparts, no matter how you looked at those. More so that WiiU overall architecture is supposed to be modeled after 360's so no huge architectural discrepancies would be hampering 360-originating content ala 360->ps3 situations.

Yeah. Like I mentioned before that sounds like a programmer problem for him/her to say it's weaker.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

Still a tad disappointing though, the reason I wanted Wii U to be at least 30% more powerful than PS360 was to nudge MS and Sony into action about next gen. If what you say is true they'll have zero need to.

I predicted the RV730 GPU, which should have had a little more beef than RSX/Xenos, but perhaps it's custom or downclocked.

Utilizing more unconfirmed (and unlikely) info to fit your agenda again, eh?

While I know the 360 and PS3 can output graphics at 1080p, I understand that most of the time we're *not* getting that actual resolution but an upscaled picture. Simply because it taxes the hardware.

Since the Wii-U is capable of apparently playing games in 1080p(not upscaled and most likely at a solid framerate of let's say minimum 30fps) wouldn't that by proxy make it substantially more powerful than current gen systems?

Yes it would.

No please show me a game doing it.... oh yeah. We still don't know.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
This is rather uninteresting, but given Wii's history when it comes to to peripherals, I thought it could be newsworthy. An ornamental design for a keyboard was published today through the USPTO:

84401.png

Source: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...ALL&S1=D0653665&OS=PN/D0653665&RS=PN/D0653665
If the link above doesn't work, the patent number is D645,443.

Unlike patents concerning for example the "Miniature flexure based scanners for angle multiplexing" I referenced a few pages back in this thread, ornamental designs are mostly always used full out as actual products. Kazuhiro Maruyama has for Nintendo designed multiple things:

Repeater for communication (wireless router/bridge for sale in Japan)
Pedometer (Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver)
Combined support stand and data entry device (for Nintendo DS)
Pedometer (Personal Trainer: Walking)
Stand for electronic game machine (for Nintendo DS)
Stylus pen (for Nintendo DS)
Controller for electronic game machine (for Donkey Konga, Jungle Beat etc.)
Liquid crystal display for an electronic game machine (add-on screen for Gamecube)

I doubt this is something extra, even Wii had an official cordless keyboard (developed and released by Logitech in 2008). It was used mostly for internet browsing, but I know Animal Crossing: City Folk/Let's Go to the City and some other games utilized it. With Wii U and the Nintendo Network, Nintendo perhaps is aiming to simplify communication and offer this device as a default I/O. In a tentative Monster Hunter MMO or a Pokémon MMO (I know Junichi Masuda has explained why they are not interested in this, though that comment was made in 2009), text based communication would be indispensable (with voice chat as an option). While you certainly via the Wii U remote can type through an on-screen keyboard, it's usually rather slow and could become boring if used excessively.

Chance is that this is, as scale is not mentioned in the documents, something for the Nintendo 3DS much like the Circle Pad Pro, but I think it's a very small chance. Make of this what you will.

wsippel

Banned
Rösti;34918435 said:
This is rather uninteresting, but given Wii's history when it comes to to peripherals, I thought it could be newsworthy. An ornamental design for a keyboard was published today through the USPTO:

84401.png

Source: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...ALL&S1=D0653665&OS=PN/D0653665&RS=PN/D0653665
If the link above doesn't work, the patent number is D645,443.

Unlike patents concerning for example the "Miniature flexure based scanners for angle multiplexing" I referenced a few pages back in this thread, ornamental designs are mostly always used full out as actual products. Kazuhiro Maruyama has for Nintendo designed multiple things:

Repeater for communication (wireless router/bridge for sale in Japan)
Pedometer (Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver)
Combined support stand and data entry device (for Nintendo DS)
Pedometer (Personal Trainer: Walking)
Stand for electronic game machine (for Nintendo DS)
Stylus pen (for Nintendo DS)
Controller for electronic game machine (for Donkey Konga, Jungle Beat etc.)
Liquid crystal display for an electronic game machine (add-on screen for Gamecube)

I doubt this is something extra, even Wii had an official cordless keyboard (developed and released by Logitech in 2008). It was used mostly for internet browsing, but I know Animal Crossing: City Folk/Let's Go to the City and some other games utilized it. With Wii U and the Nintendo Network, Nintendo perhaps is aiming to simplify communication and offer this device as a default I/O. In a tentative Monster Hunter MMO or a Pokémon MMO (I know Junichi Masuda has explained why they are not interested in this, though that comment was made in 2009), text based communication would be indispensable (with voice chat as an option). While you certainly via the Wii U remote can type through an on-screen keyboard, it's usually rather slow and could become boring if used excessively.

Chance is that this is, as scale is not mentioned in the documents, something for the Nintendo 3DS much like the Circle Pad Pro, but I think it's a very small chance. Make of this what you will.
It's already out:

566aO.jpg

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It's already out
How unfortunate (for my "news" item). Well, it only shows I've gotta research more. It would be rather frustrating to be booted the first week. What is the keyboard for anyway?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I think he was talking about the Wii.
As unexpected as that may sound, Gekko can access the embedded fb on Flipper. The cpu had to go through the ROP pipeline to do that, IIRC.

tsab

Rösti;34918630 said:
How unfortunate (for my "news" item). Well, it only shows I've gotta research more. It would be rather frustrating to be booted the first week. What is the keyboard for anyway?

a pokemon-themed-learn-to-type(english) game for DS

As unexpected as that may sound, Gekko can access the embedded fb on Flipper. The cpu had to go through the ROP pipeline to do that, IIRC.

Cool. I didn't know that. Hearing that makes it sound guaranteed that the CPU could access the eDRAM in Wii U.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Cool. I didn't know that. Hearing that makes it sound guaranteed that the CPU could access the eDRAM in Wii U.
Oh it most likely will be able to, question is, at what rates and/or costs (for the gpu).

Basically, what I'm saying is that for one of the clients (gpu, cpu) that memory pool will not behave as edram ; )

Mokka

Neo Member
How can something be patented that is already out? Or is this only possible for ornamental designs? Or is it possible because it's not out in the US (or is it)?

Mokka

Neo Member
Well that and the fact that it was doing global illumination, and radiosity on a level of IQ that has never been seen on the current set of consoles.

Is there a thread or at least screenshot that shows global illumnation (e.g. blossom reflecting light onto the tree)? Because somehow I doubt that.

@IceDoesntHelp: Thanks!

wsippel

Banned
It's not out in NA yet.
More importantly, the patent was filed almost a year ago. That's why looking through patents is pretty much useless. Everything that gets published is already really old, and the assignee can chose to delay the publication. Which is what Nintendo usually does. Everything that gets published is either already publicly known or something they don't intend to use, anyway.

Watch the bird demo, there's hints of it all over the place. For instance when the bird lands on the tree and is just sitting there, you can see the color of the tree bouncing up and effecting the color of the birds bottom by his tail feathers. You also see it as the bird flies over the trees and the lighting under the bird changes as he moves across areas that are closer and further away changing how much bounce light is hitting underneath him. The color of the light hitting the bottom of him changes as he moves from flying over asphalt to flying over the grass to flying over the water.

Wii only supports wired usb keyboards. That's a wireless bluetooth keyboard to be paired with a specific DS cartridge

Too bad that is supported only by that Pokemon DS typing game - by the way I could do with it to improve my typing skills - it seems quite confortable and would make a pretty stylish Wii peripheral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom