• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lol, perfect.

So, what have we got?

Advanced Shaders
1080p
5x the 360 (?)
...Eh.

Anyways, I'm really hoping for F-Zero at launch. Which is weird, because I suck at F-Zero. But it will probably look and play amazing.

As for others... well, I really want a Kirby game. It just seems like it would be loads of fun (playing KRTD now). I feel like they should pack it with content, though. Loads of levels and abilities. Also, let it get more challenging. But I digress.

Discussing the possibilities of the tablet controller:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/118/1181340p1.html

You've all seen this, correct?

Really hoping Nintendo gives Retro Eternal Darkness.

I hope not. Might as well make something new since it will be ED in name only. Most of the games asset were generic except for maybe its story. Even then it's just Lovecraft.

Realistically they'll probably make another Metroid, or a spinoff of an existing Nintendo character. Thats in line with what Nintendo usually does. Take an existing character(s) and develop gameplay around them.

So I was thinking this morning, I'd like to see Madworld get a sequel on Wii U. Not sure how the controller could be used to the game's advantage, but it'd be a great game to capture the mature audience again, and the developer team could do great things visually with that extra power...

AniHawk

So I was thinking this morning, I'd like to see Madworld get a sequel on Wii U. Not sure how the controller could be used to the game's advantage, but it'd be a great game to capture the mature audience again, and the developer team could do great things visually with that extra power...

i guess it's possible it will get anarchy reigns

spanks

Forgive me, I get excited whenever I think of Retro's game. Here are some thoughts on the possibilities:

Eternal Darkness
The presentation was already perfect, all that's left is to refine the gameplay. And Retro is no doubt capable. Just a HD sequel would be amazing, but imagine the possiblities for sanity effects with the Wii U. A controller that has touch, microphone, camera, motion, etc. A console that is always online, updating (and connecting you to other players, a la Demon Souls?). Hell, technically the console could communicate with your smart TV through HDMI and manipulate the same interface! Also smartphones through wifi! Recieve a SMS from Mantarok zomg!

Zelda
This series could use a shake-up and everyone knows it. Who better to work on the next installment of a series that has relied on its popularity in the West than Nintendo's premiere Western developer? Art style, gameplay, presentation, technical wizardry and all could be in for an upgrade. I bet Retro knows what people want from Zelda better than the old men in Kyoto.

Starfox
Full on reboot. You can keep (some) on-rails missions if you want, but mix in the best parts of games like Rogue Squadron, Freespace, Mass Effect, Battlefront, etc. Space exploration, massive interplanetary battles, station-boardin', on- foot action, 16 player online, 4 player co-op, the whole nine yards. A nice opportunity to showcase the new Nintendo Network, too.

Mach Rider
Imagine Mad Max-style battles along desert roads, chasing or being chased by all types of vehicles, using your bike's built-in miniguns and maybe a chain for close encounters (Road Rash, anyone?). Why not jump off your bike and board that truck that's been harrassing you, mid-chase? Add a post-apocalyptic open-world if you want to be super ambitious.

F-Zero
It would be pretty interesting if they went crazy with this, like creating a racing/action/adventure hybrid. Y'know, Cap going bounty hunting whilst attending races. Otherwise, I guess they could go for the mass market with a less campy approach, and spice things up with some simple weaponry perhaps (e.g. lasers that use up your energy meter).

StarTropics
RPG where you play as a 15-year old kid who bashes aliens with a yo-yo? Eh, you'd have to change it so much you might as well be creating a new IP.

New IP
The riskiest option. Also could be the most awesome. Being introduced to a new world by talented peeps is always nice.

DKCR2
DKC2 artstyle in HD or I just don't care.

Metroid Prime 4
MP3 was boring. Re-reboot needed.

They all have potential, but Eternal Darkness or Zelda would be fucking amazing. AMAZING.

I like the way you think son. I would be ecstatic if RETRO made a Zelda, I really would -I just don't think it makes sense/is necessary right now...

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.

EDIT Oh, and I think something like Starfox is a waste - leave that franchise to Nintendo, really. And F-ZERO would also be cool like you explained...

squid

Starfox
Full on reboot. You can keep (some) on-rails missions if you want, but mix in the best parts of games like Rogue Squadron, Freespace, Mass Effect, Battlefront, etc. Space exploration, massive interplanetary battles, station-boardin', on- foot action, 16 player online, 4 player co-op, the whole nine yards. A nice opportunity to showcase the new Nintendo Network, too.

I want this. Sooooo badly...

Hire this man, Retro!

BowieZ

Banned
I'm kind of sad because we're long overdue for a sparse Mario schedule following this six platformer onslaught post-GameCube era. After NSMB3DS this holiday (which I suspect will be a 3D-ified version of the NSMBMii tech demo), I can imagine a good 3 year wait till the big new Mario Wii U reveal...

I'm kind of sad because we're long overdue for a sparse Mario schedule following this six platformer onslaught post-GameCube era. After NSMB3DS this holiday (which I suspect will be a 3D-ified version of the NSMBMii tech demo), I can imagine a good 3 year wait till the big new Mario Wii U reveal...

You think Nintendo is going to wait until late 2015 until they announce a Mario platformer for Wii U?

You are crazy, sir/ma'am.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I'm pretty certain Nintendo will launch with a New Super Mario variant for the Wii U launch, they're going to want the best start possible start and their launch is during the holidays. They'd be highly moronic not to do it. Most probably the two versions will be tied or link to one another in some way (even if only by name).

FreeMufasa

I'm pretty certain Nintendo will launch with a New Super Mario variant for the Wii U launch, they're going to want the best start possible start and their launch is during the holidays. They'd be highly moronic not to do it. Most probably the two versions will be tied or link to one another in some way (even if only by name).

I don't think it'll be needed at launch. At the very least, 1 year after.

Shion

Nintendo really needs to expand Retro.
They should have two (big) teams in order to be able to work on more than one project at the same time.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Mario launch title. Nintendo are going to be launching this thing in the midst of the yearly big-hitters like CoD and Fifa, not to mention Halo 4, RE 6 and so on. Zelda is off the table as a mainline title takes many years to get off the ground, but Mario is not such a huge undertaking (especially the NSMB series, as many have pointed out already). Sure a new Pikmin ought to be well received, but would it really entice gamers into putting down the cash when there are updates to their favourite series launching left right and centre, and with the benefit of 7 years of hardware experience? It is not the easiest time for Nintendo to be launching a new console by any means, and Mario is one of the most bankable franchises it has, if not THE most.

Triton55

We have 3 Wii U threads continually on the front page (this one, Smash, and Retro) all running on pure speculation. I think it's safe to say that we all really need some solid news to talk about. 4 months until E3 :(

Raide

I expect Nintendo to come up with some inventive and fun ways to use the new controller. I expect majority of other devs to just throw in some basic usage. If the Wii and DS taught me anything, its that many developers lack original ideas when it comes to controls, so they just throw in what works.

AppleBlade

I'm surprised that with the final dev kits out there, the specs have not been conclusively leaked. I know there is a rough idea and some rumors but I want to know for sure. I am especially interested in the amount of RAM. 768 seems like such an underwhelming upgrade from 360 and PS3. I'm hoping for at least 1GB.

Have you guys heard anything that seems pretty much set in stone?

I'm surprised that with the final dev kits out there, the specs have not been conclusively leaked. I know there is a rough idea and some rumors but I want to know for sure. I am especially interested in the amount of RAM. 768 seems like such an underwhelming upgrade from 360 and PS3. I'm hoping for at least 1GB.

Have you guys heard anything that seems pretty much set in stone?

Rumors point to at least 1 GB of System RAM.

My guess was and still is that EAD Tokyo have been developing the next big Mario title since the beginning of 2010.

This. Maybe not as early as 2010, but they've certainly been working on it.,I believe. This is why I think a 3D Mario title for launch window isn't as unlikely as some people say.

Also, I'm betting 1GB/1.5GB total RAM, and swaying towards the latter, purely through personal reasons.

AzaK

I could see Accomplishments being cool, depending on an implementation. Like, for some accomplishments, give your Mii some sort of cool accessory that you can add that shows off the accomplishment and ties into the game it was earned from. Just representing them in points and lists is about as interesting as reading a D&D character sheet aloud.
Let's hope the 3DS accomplishments are not where Nintendo is going. They are extremely boring and uninspired IMO.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Let's hope the 3DS accomplishments are not where Nintendo is going. They are extremely boring and uninspired IMO.
The Mii hats are a step in the right direction - you do something hard/cool/funny in a game, you get 'the t-shirt'. All those laundry lists we get today can go to hell.

AzaK

The Mii hats are a step in the right direction - you do something hard/cool/funny in a game, you get 'the t-shirt'. All those laundry lists we get today can go to hell.
I agree the hats are nice, it's when they added that masively bland list of Accomplishments that it felt very "me too". I expected Nintendo to do something original.

I'd rather have Mii Hats and Accessories for Achievements rather than some random number of idiotic Achievements/Trophies which do nothing other than show off ones OCD levels.

On the 360 some achievements are tied to Avatar rewards, but I would love to have this as the base motivation for any sort of achievement system that Nintendo is integrating.

Think of all those rare hats that could only be attained by completing a speedrun of Metroid or Resident Evil... Not to mention that it is a further PR avenue for publishers. To have Miis wear their branded stuff would create new ways of getting the word about your product spread.

I can see them using Coins like in 3DS as Achievements/Trophies im not sure how 3rd partys will use it but I think Big N would put stuff in to unlock

not as some type of player ranking

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
How would we earn the coins here, though?
Would it be via achievements?
I wouldn't mind achievements giving the player a bunch of play coins (tiers of 1, 2, 5, 10 plus a bonus if you get them all like platinum trophies). Of course, if we also got more ways to use them.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
We have 3 Wii U threads continually on the front page (this one, Smash, and Retro) all running on pure speculation. I think it's safe to say that we all really need some solid news to talk about. 4 months until E3 :(
4181.png

The likelihood of Nintendo releasing new information about Wii U at Game Developers Conference is high, due to several factors:

• They have booked a larger booth than in 2011, and they also have a booth in the business area
  • While not directly connected to Wii U, Nintendo has two speakers featured: Steve Rabin (NoA) and Koichi Hayashida (EAD)
  • Several of Nintendo's closest business partners (AMD most prominently) with the Wii U are exhibiting
  • Reggie Fils-Aime has in interviews with both CNN and GameTrailers said that they will share more information between now (this was in early January) and E3
  • GDC is the single most important industry event before E3, and provides excellent opportunities to create hype as well as informing partners about deals, licenses and more
In addition to what Nintendo provides, there are several events connected to GDC, that could surely function as a ground for discussion, amongst industry members, about Wii U: Choice Awards, Independent Games Festival, Magnetic Game-O-Matic, Career Pavilion, Game Career Seminar, Parties & Networking, GDC Play and more.

While Nintendo has not confirmed nor denied Wii U at GDC this year, I think we can safely assume the system will be there in more ways than one. I take the liberty of once again posting the floorplans:

3561.png

Notice that Nintendo, Crytek and AMD have their booths very close. AMD's developing the GPU for Wii U, and former Director of Technology at Crytek, Mark Atkinson, was hired by Nintendo last year as Consultant Software Engineer. And Crytek's Cevat Yerli expressed excitement about the Wii U SDK last year, as reported by Beyond3D and GamesIndustry.biz:
The specs are very good," Yerli enthuses.

"It's a challenge for designers, but once thought through it can add value, and that's what ultimately important. Our guys in Nottingham they are very happy with their tests on the dev kits and they're excited about it."
Sources: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1582363&postcount=7706, http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-09-14-state-of-play-crytek-editorial

Nintendo's deep contacts with both AMD and Crytek, as well as other exhibitors at GDC, can mean they will be given golden opportunities to demonstrate the Wii U's capabilities. Probably not through games, but through tech demos (other than Chase Mii and Shield Pose). Opportunities I at least wouldn't waste.

Now...is it going to be the same demos as E3 2011?

...YOU BET!

Bisnic

Boring member

But yeah, I bet it is. *sadface* Though they haven't denied new content like they did with CES... and Reggie DID say there'd be new info between then and E3. Maybe GDC is the best place to announce the new name and show the final power with new demos?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Rösti;35066014 said:
4181.png

The likelihood of Nintendo releasing new information about Wii U at Game Developers Conference is high, due to several factors:

• They have booked a larger booth than in 2011, and they also have a booth in the business area
  • While not directly connected to Wii U, Nintendo has two speakers featured: Steve Rabin (NoA) and Koichi Hayashida (EAD)
  • Several of Nintendo's closest business partners (AMD most prominently) with the Wii U are exhibiting
  • Reggie Fils-Aime has in interviews with both CNN and GameTrailers said that they will share more information between now (this was in early January) and E3
  • GDC is the single most important industry event before E3, and provides excellent opportunities to create hype as well as informing partners about deals, licenses and more
In addition to what Nintendo provides, there are several events connected to GDC, that could surely function as a ground for discussion, amongst industry members, about Wii U: Choice Awards, Independent Games Festival, Magnetic Game-O-Matic, Career Pavilion, Game Career Seminar, Parties & Networking, GDC Play and more.

While Nintendo has not confirmed nor denied Wii U at GDC this year, I think we can safely assume the system will be there in more ways than one. I take the liberty of once again posting the floorplans:

3561.png

Notice that Nintendo, Crytek and AMD have their booths very close. AMD's developing the GPU for Wii U, and former Director of Technology at Crytek, Mark Atkinson, was hired by Nintendo last year as Consultant Software Engineer. And Crytek's Cevat Yerli expressed excitement about the Wii U SDK last year, as reported by Beyond3D and GamesIndustry.biz:

Sources: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1582363&postcount=7706, http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-09-14-state-of-play-crytek-editorial

Nintendo's deep contacts with both AMD and Crytek, as well as other exhibitors at GDC, can mean they will be given golden opportunities to demonstrate the Wii U's capabilities. Probably not through games, but through tech demos (other than Chase Mii and Shield Pose). Opportunities I at least wouldn't waste.

You are my new favorite poster just from your thought process and detective skills.

royalan

Rösti;35066014 said:

x6Nw7.png

Believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom