• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circle T

Installed the CM9 Alpha on my Note tonight. It has been updated to Super Best Galaxy status now. And funny enough, I actually kind of like having the hardware buttons in ICS. The buttons, combined with the wider screen of the Note, ends up showing more info in the action bar in apps. For example, in Google Reader you no longer have the software "Menu" button, since you have a physical button for that. This works great, because in its place they have a full button for "Mark All Read" for quick access. This is excellent.

Given the Alpha status of this ROM, it is obviously a bit rough in spots. Once a good leak of a Samsung ICS ROM appears, much of this will be fixed. Even now though, it is totally awesome. Switching it to "Tablet" mode with a density change was cool, but CM9's "Trebuchet" launcher is still rough, and crashes if set to wrong densities. NOVA Launcher fixes this, and is fun to mess with. It's like a Galaxy Tab 5.3, that can make calls.

Huge HD screen, excellent hardware, stock ICS, physical buttons..... BEST GALAXY indeed!

Sarcasm

To the Galaxy Note elites,
Just want to share a bit, go download voodoo screen tuner in the market. It serves as a fix for Note's screen banding.

Can you link I can't find. Also I ain't rooted. Is there a way to keep everything stock but be rooted?

Zeppu

Hmmm, just found out that there's not way to add a bookmark shortcut for chrome mobile bookmarks.

One of you guys should totally prove me wrong.

yogloo

Nothing that has Qualcomm inside can be considered for the throne of Best Galaxy. I'm willing to give the International Note the time of day, the AT&T Note with the pointless extra buttons and the Qualcomm can go DIAF.

International Note certainly makes a strong case for itself but Tuna remains Best Galaxy. Deal with it.

markot

Banned
Nothing in Android makes sense...

http://dcurt.is/nothing-makes-sense

I understand why they do it, the manufacturers... but they just 'cant' they are not 'software' people. Its counter productive. There is a reason Nexus is so popular, and its all about the 'pure' experience.

They should find better ways to differentiate their products over the custom ui crap that they do.

For example, a great music service, a great navigation service, a great... blah blah blah.

I sort of agree and I sort of don't with him. On the one hand yes, the carriers and oems have made some terrible design choices. But really, until ICS/Honeycomb Android wasn't always the prettiest, most cohesive girl in town. If you look at some of the oems post Honeycomb the level of customisation has decreased considerably. Blur on ics is very similar to stock and Sony tablets are close too. Ditto Acer. HTC are the worst culprits though. Samsung are a bit better but comes off as ripping off the feel and look of iOS. The app stuff post ics should right itself. Whilst I won't argue that it's easy it's definitely possible to make smooth beautiful and powerful apps using the tools in the 4.0 sdk. I do wish Google would take a sterner approach to market apps but I don't see that happening.

Ice Cream sandwich is a very different beast to 1.0 it's just going to take time for others to appreciate it.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Hard to believe anything that article.
What phone hardware has launched since ICS source was released?

Wait till MWC in Barcelona and Samsung's event in March before calling the adoption of ICS a failure.

Yoshiya

While I do think it's true that Google's chances in the tablet space will be non-existent post-Windows 8, I don't see how accelerating Jelly Bean will make the situation any better. Google needs to make timely updates of consumer devices their priority, because that in turn will allow new versions of Android to make it to market more quickly on existing devices.

Circle T

So it's come down to platform infighting?

God I can't wait for a GSIII with CM9 to shut us all up

*brofist*

I have a feeling, in a couple weeks once MWC hits, we will all be put in our place by some really powerful new hardware (PadFone, lol). And then, yea, the GSIII will launch at some point and we will all bow down to the new, returning "Best Galaxy" champ.

gcubed

gcube: They did it, they finally did it.

Quick Controls for the OS

not sure if excited, concept seems good, no idea how it would work in use.

As far as the 5.0 bullshit above. While i wholly discount the article and notion of 5.0 coming out in the next 6 months i must say that Google really needs to have a team that helps manufacturers get new code on their phones. As a company they should be embarassed by any "official" phone at CES or MWC shown running Gingerbread. That shit just shouldn't happen. Get a team of 30-40 people at the end of each release cycle and send them to HTC/Samsung/Motorola (down the hall)/Asus/LG and actively assist them with putting it on their phone. Once you release a new version of code, any phone shown a month or later after that release should be shown on that release. I know that phones are in development a lot longer then that, but i'm sure google knows about them in advance... they should be assisting in getting everything up to the new code.

tino

Banned

Maybe it doesn't make sense to his little brain. It make perfect sense to me.

Google give freedom to the carriers to put crap in the OS, that's why the carriers push Android. Some people just don't want to admit that carrier interest and subscriber interest are mutually exclusive. There is no win-win situation for both the carrier and the customers. both of them fight for the same money.

The only OS that truly care for the customer are home brew OS alternative such as the CyanogenMod.

You know why the iOS is better suite for the customers? The custom *paid* for the convenience. Whenever you have a iPhone plan, it already make you pay more up front for the monthly plan. I can get an Android phone from the prepaid carriers with a much cheaply plan. Well since you are paying more up front, the carriers are not going to put crap into the iOS to scam your money. Or to put in an other way, becuase iOS doesn't allow the carriers to put crap into the OS to scam your money, carriers charge iOS device higher monthly plan.

If you have android device that charge the same as the iPhone plan, do keep in mind the carriers still subsidize more for your phone than an iPhone. If you pay $200 for your Android phone, do keep in mind most people don't. Just take a look at the Amazon deals.

So in conclusion, let me rephase, carriers and customers are fighting for the same money. The powerful carriers like Verizon or China Mobile will always push the platform that they have more control over, which is the Android platform. And the most popular platform will always have more carrier crap in it, be it Android or other wise.

Want to get rib of the carrier carp? Be a man and roll your own rom.

kehs

Banned
So apparently HTC is calling all their new phones "One" with a suffix S/Pro/X/etc. I guess they finally realized they all look like the N1.

Circle T

So apparently HTC is calling all their new phones "One" with a suffix S/Pro/X/etc. I guess they finally realized they all look like the N1.

Galaxy, Optimus, Droid, Xperia, etc etc. I guess they finally noticed that EVERYONE else has a brand family, and think that might help. Can't hurt, really.

*Edit* - Also, I have wouldn't doubt that these "One" names will only be used overseas. In the US, we will undoubtedly get some ridiculous names, like we do on all our phones.

Galaxy, Optimus, Droid, Xperia, etc etc. I guess they finally noticed that EVERYONE else has a brand family, and think that might help. Can't hurt, really.

*Edit* - Also, I have wouldn't doubt that these "One" names will only be used overseas. In the US, we will undoubtedly get some ridiculous names, like we do on all our phones.

Sprint HTC One S Evo 4G LTE

kehs

Banned
Looks like CM got Googled over Cornerstone:
We wanted to do a followup post on CM and CS, since there was a lot of excitement over the past few days.

Cornerstone is not ready If we could make this larger and fiery red, we would.

# The code is still in its infancy (version .8).
# There are very legitimate concerns surrounding just how to solve compatibility issues with the thousands of applications in the market.
# We drew the attention of Google engineer(s), who have rightfully pointed out concerns (thank them for taking the time) - comments can be read on Cyanogen's re-share of the original post. If you choose to comment, do so intelligently and in a civil manner!
# We've also contacted the original developers for input and consultation.
Edit # And now Onskreens CEO is weighing in on the discussion

All said, there are many hurdles to overcome before Cornerstone is merged into CM9, if at all. We ask that you realize this, and see blog posts and pictures and alphas as merely technical proof of concepts, and nothing more. Frankly, we are months out from CS being ready, and it'll likely take longer to address all the concerns.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/117962666888533781522/posts/B3hcA6gqtaz

Lots of stuff in the main thread.

tokkun

I liked the "Hero" name. They should have stuck with that.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
While I do think it's true that Google's chances in the tablet space will be non-existent post-Windows 8, I don't see how accelerating Jelly Bean will make the situation any better. Google needs to make timely updates of consumer devices their priority, because that in turn will allow new versions of Android to make it to market more quickly on existing devices.
i can see google releasing something new to market before windows 8 hits. Apple just made the OSX announcement and preview release today, i don't think that is a coincidence if you look at the schedule for windows 8. So like apple, i expect to see something from google for tablets/desktops before windows 8, or something to say "hey, we're still here".

I got my Droid Razr Maxx yesterday awesome phone so far need to install some apps on it now trying to look at my other phone and remember what I had.

Futureman

can't get google.com/voice to load at ALL.

my phone's battery is actually dead so I can't check if it works on there. But the web portal seems to be down for me while all other Google services seem fine.

anyone else?

thespot84

can't get google.com/voice to load at ALL.

my phone's battery is actually dead so I can't check if it works on there. But the web portal seems to be down for me while all other Google services seem fine.

anyone else?

on the phone or a pc? loads fine from my pc.

Futureman

on the phone or a pc? loads fine from my pc.

on my computer.

there's definitely something weird going on with my computer/router/cable service.

I've noticed quite a bit that often times google related URLs won't work, but everything else will.

Right now google.com won't load for me either, yet like I said, Gmail is fine. It isn't just Chrome either, this happens in any browser.

is it possibly something with my DNS settings?

Circle T

on my computer.

there's definitely something weird going on with my computer/router/cable service.

I've noticed quite a bit that often times google related URLs won't work, but everything else will.

Right now google.com won't load for me either, yet like I said, Gmail is fine. It isn't just Chrome either, this happens in any browser.

is it possibly something with my DNS settings?

I have weird things like this happen at work, probably due to the proxy that we use. All of a sudden Chrome will start to "Time Out" on websites, even right after clicking a link. But, oddly, if I open an Incognito window, everything is fine. Then, a couple hours later, normal Chrome will be fine.

I just looked, and the Voice website is working fine for me. Maybe try an Incognito window and see if that will at least let you access things.

Futureman

does not work incognito or other browsers either. UGH.

Google.com does not load.

gmail and G-Maps work fine for me though.

Voice is working on my phone now.

I messed w/ Google DNS awhile back, but then switched back. I wonder if I mucked something up.

Cipherr

Padfone is expected to debut there and possibly launched as well. They should just change the event name to Padfone World Conference and be done with it.

------

Best Galaxy contender changing lives.

gnwatchingTV.jpg

"LCD or Plasma? That was my dilemma before the multi-talented Galaxy Note came into my life and spared me the expense. I hung the Samsung in my entertainment center and never looked back. Surely this is what James Cameron had in mind when he reimagined Fern Gully."

armhoop.jpg

"Who needs a gym membership? With the help of some packing tape, the Galaxy Note attached to my wife’s arm and killed two birds with one 5-inch stone: It pumped out tunes on the go, and it gave her an upper-body workout that a set of free weights would struggle to match. It also saved me a trip to the local court."

:lol, the Note as the shotclock nearly killed me.

Al-ibn Kermit

Yeah, the Sense 3.0 UI on HTC phones has that exact feature of setting up whatever shortcuts you want on the lock screen and sliding them to the lock button to launch the application.

Maybe Google's patent is specific to using voice and passcodes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom