• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doopliss

The source link just says Mac, Windows and Linux...
An advice for anyone who wants to buy a new smartphone:

DO NOT BUY A PHONE WITH (S)AMOLED SCREEN.

Galaxy S2 owner here and now thanks to this screen i hate this phone, the (S)AMOLED screens have a lot of problems an in my opinion the technology isn't mature enough for mass production, every phone i've seen with (s)amoled screens (Nexus S's, Galaxy S's, Galaxy S2s, Lumia 800's and Galaxy Note) have a series of defects that obviously can't be connected to bad luck like someone would say to you...
The problems i've seen are these:
Discoloration (the screen presents discoloration, from what i've seen most of the times the discoloration tends to be pinkish)
Color sensitive discolorations (like above but this appear only when the on the screen are displayed some colors, the most noticeable are the yellow spot when gray is displayed, usually it's on the sides of the screen)
Image retention (the screen will have a retention of the previously displayed image if it was darker than the current one)
Also a lot of them are Pentile screens which means less subpixel and not the same color fidelity of the RGB ones (but this isn't a defect per se but more lika a characteristic of some displays)
Obviously the technology have tempting qualities such as way more vivid and warmer colors and (even if it isn't too noticeable) better power consumptions but that's it, they have problems and like i said isn't bad luck because i sent the phone 2 times to Samsung to change the screen and every phone with (s)amoled i've seen had at least 2 of the problem i've listed.

Obviously this message is to the people that hate to have a not perfect screen and have to pay a lot of money to have a product that have such defects that aren't mentioned most of the times in reviews and such, for the people who can get over these problems good for them because aside from the problem mentioned before they are stunning screens...
I hope this could help someone and sorry for the bad English ( it took 30 mins to write this :/ )
My GS2 has screen issues (and the one it replaced was even worse), but the screen's black levels are so good that for my next phone I don't think I'll be able to switch to anything that doesn't have an OLED.

I agree wish you about reviews, though, I've never seen them mention any of this stuff. But that could be because the units they get sent are carefully vetted.

Galaxy S2 owner here and now thanks to this screen i hate this phone, the (S)AMOLED screens have a lot of problems an in my opinion the technology isn't mature enough for mass production, every phone i've seen with (s)amoled screens (Nexus S's, Galaxy S's, Galaxy S2s, Lumia 800's and Galaxy Note) have a series of defects that obviously can't be connected to bad luck like someone would say to you...
Discoloration (the screen presents discoloration, from what i've seen most of the times the discoloration tends to be pinkish)
Color sensitive discolorations (like above but this appear only when the on the screen are displayed some colors, the most noticeable are the yellow spot when gray is displayed, usually it's on the sides of the screen)
Image retention (the screen will have a retention of the previously displayed image if it was darker than the current one)
Also a lot of them are Pentile screens which means less subpixel and not the same color fidelity of the RGB ones (but this isn't a defect per se but more lika a characteristic of some displays)
Obviously the technology have tempting qualities such as way more vivid and warmer colors and (even if it isn't too noticeable) better power consumptions but that's it, they have problems and like i said isn't bad luck because i sent the phone 2 times to Samsung to change the screen and every phone with (s)amoled i've seen had at least 2 of the problem i've listed.

Obviously this message is to the people that hate to have a not perfect screen and have to pay a lot of money to have a product that have such defects that aren't mentioned most of the times in reviews and such, for the people who can get over these problems good for them because aside from the problem mentioned before they are stunning screens...
I hope this could help someone and sorry for the bad English ( it took 30 mins to write this :/ )

Dude you are the 1%. I've had 4 amoled/samoled screens. The vast majority of people who have bought amoled products love them. Not mature enough for the market???? If you are a screen perfectionist you will find faults in all screens. Light bleed, brightness, contrast, ability to show natural colours. There is no such thing as the perfect display. 99% of the public don't obsess over this stuff
Those of us who spend too much time on internet forums do. Worse still it breeds. People who were happy with their screens start to doubt. Then it by becomes like a reverse placebo. Finally you can no longer enjoy a product because you are always looking for the slightest imperfection. My friendly advice?

Relax...

Husker86

I'd like to start by saying that I fully understand and can see the imperfections of my Galaxy Nexus' screen; I got a lot of shit in this thread for saying negative things about it actually.

However, unless LCDs are as good or better than the one Apple uses for its retina devices, I will never go back. Even then it would almost be a deal breaker. LCDs are too damn washed out and light bleeding is too common. My colors might not be 100% accurate on my GN but I really don't care. The weird texture effect on some solid colors is, well, weird. Despite these things I cannot get over the incredible blacks and popping colors. I can't wait for my next phone to be an RGB 720P SAMOLED.

So, I just got my new Galaxy S2 and am playing a bit with it. Some friends recommended installing MIUI on it to make it more customizable and allow 3rd party apps.

What's the consensus about it? Considering that I'm tech savvy but completely new to Android and it seems that S2 is getting 4.0 later this month, should I mess around?

Circle T

Apparently I'm blessed with really crappy eyes (or excellent luck), because my Captivate, Droid Charge, Galaxy SII, Galaxy SII-SR, Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy Note that I use currently, or have in the past, all seem to have pretty awesome screens, IMO.

Apparently I'm blessed with really crappy eyes (or excellent luck), because my Captivate, Droid Charge, Galaxy SII, Galaxy SII-SR, Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy Note that I use currently, or have in the past, all seem to have pretty awesome screens, IMO.
You've never had any burn-in?

saunderez

Have to agree with everyone saying that despite the drawbacks it would be hard to go back to LCD. I have discolouration at the top of my display which luckily isn't noticeable 90% of the time but the vivid colours and black blacks make up for it. Still the screen on my SGS2 is 100x better than the AMOLED screen that was in my HTC Desire so it's obvious the technology can still improve.

Samoled has some issues, can't say I've noticed burn in on my SGS, crosshatching and a yellowish tint are there, but given the brightness, vibrancy, viewing angles and black levels it offers I do have concerns over going back to LCD.

I was all set to go for an Xperia S when it launches, then I see this comparison between it and a Galaxy Nexus and Note and..... What's a guy to do? Http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/01/3...ia-s-versus-the-galaxy-nexus-and-galaxy-note/

My first Galaxy SII had a discolored spot on the screen, so I sent it in while it was still under warranty and got a replacement.

It's perfectly fine now. Best screen on pretty much anything I've ever used.

Blackhead

Redarse
I welcome our new overlords with the best Galaxy

GpK8A.png

gcubed

its not burn in, its image retention. Lets clarify that up front. AMOLED screens have it, but it depends on how its used and what screens you jump back and forth to if you notice it. I rarely notice it but it does happen. Amoled does have its issues and if you look around its pretty easy to find a lot of people talking about them. The fact is, even with its issues, its close to the best screen you can get. Hell, i have only owned pentile displays. If I can merge the iphone display with amoled, i'd be in heaven.

And samsung needs to get some bigger models to offset the size of that damn phone

DXPett1

The source link just says Mac, Windows and Linux...

Huh?

git.videolan.org said:
Core:
* Major Video Core and Outputs rework and rewrite:
Subtitles, subpictures and OSD can now be sized and blent inside outputs
x11 (Unix), OpenGL (Unix) and Direct3D (Windows) are such video outputs.
* Almost every video filter can now be transcoded
* Playback rate doesn't get resetted to 1 between items anymore
* Option --sub-filter was renamed --sub-source
* Port to Android, iOS, OS/2 and Win64.

http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc/vlc-2.0.git&a=blob_plain&f=NEWS

Circle T

You've never had any burn-in?

Only time I've ever noticed it was in the clock area on my Captivate, and even then I had to really look for it. Like, on a pure white screen, you could faintly make out where the time was shown. Pretty rare to see, and if you didn't know it was there, you'd never see it. None of the other devices ever had the "problem" appear. These other devices were also of newer generations of SAMOLED screens as well. Take that for what you will.

He appears to have burned a hole in his wallet...

The two GSII's were/are work phones, and cost nothing to me. Nexus replaced my Charge, and Note replaced my Captivate. Both Charge and Captivate were sold to offset costs. Given my work situation, my monthly bills are pretty minor as well. So, all in all, nothing much.

LeleSocho

Banned
Dude you are the 1%. I've had 4 amoled/samoled screens. The vast majority of people who have bought amoled products love them. Not mature enough for the market???? If you are a screen perfectionist you will find faults in all screens. Light bleed, brightness, contrast, ability to show natural colours. There is no such thing as the perfect display. 99% of the public don't obsess over this stuff
Those of us who spend too much time on internet forums do. Worse still it breeds. People who were happy with their screens start to doubt. Then it by becomes like a reverse placebo. Finally you can no longer enjoy a product because you are always looking for the slightest imperfection. My friendly advice?

Relax...

I'm not by any means a screen perfectionist since i don't even have any knowledge on the topic i'm only against evident problems, i didn't have to look up on internet about the problems of the screen, i found it myself one day pulling down the notification screen and using as lockscreen an image with dark stripes which caused the image retention then i checked my friend's phone and i saw that all the (s)amoled have these problem.
I only wanted to warn more people possible since the reviews and people never mention these problems because they're captured by the good sides of the screen.
I've done that post because too many times i've seen people who were not happy with the (s)amoled and the others went against these person because "AMOLED RULEZ, LOOK AT THE COLORS STOP THIS BULLSHIT" (this is not directed to you) and this create ignorance... you can get over these problems? good but at least i informed you about the problems so you can make the decision of buying a phone with all the information possible.
For me a technology that have visible and evident problems like these in that high quantity (100% of the time in my case, never seen an (S)AMOLED without problems) isn't ready for mass market just like weren't ready old plasmas tv years ago.

kehs

Banned
So....

http://www.onskreen.com/cornerstone/

As Android exploded and began to be used on larger screens (Tablets) as well as whole new form factors (TV’s, Automobiles, etc…); the User Experience failed to evolve to truly support the new environments. The experience from the 3 inch screen was just magnified up to 10 inches in some cases.

Onskreen created Cornerstone to translate Android’s user experience to the larger screens and enable users to use multiple Android Applications at once. Gone are the days of trying to switch back and forth, and wasted screen real estate. Cornerstone lets Android shine on larger screens of all types.

View and interact with multiple applications at once. Tablets with Cornerstone enable true multi-tasking, utilizing the screen real estate to let users choose which applications are open and active at any time.

Check out how Onskreen can help your organization make Cornerstone work for you.

and... from Cyanogen:

Running this on my 10.1 right now. Definitely needs a bit of a tune-up, but lots of potential and I look forward to having it in CM9 :)

I'm not by any means a screen perfectionist since i don't even have any knowledge on the topic i'm only against evident problems, i didn't have to look up on internet about the problems of the screen, i found it myself one day pulling down the notification screen and using as lockscreen an image with dark stripes which caused the image retention then i checked my friend's phone and i saw that all the (s)amoled have these problem.
I only wanted to warn more people possible since the reviews and people never mention these problems because they're captured by the good sides of the screen.
I've done that post because too many times i've seen people who were not happy with the (s)amoled and the others went against these person because "AMOLED RULEZ, LOOK AT THE COLORS STOP THIS BULLSHIT" (this is not directed to you) and this create ignorance... you can get over these problems? good but at least i informed you about the problems so you can make the decision of buying a phone with all the information possible.
For me a technology that have visible and evident problems like these in that high quantity (100% of the time in my case, never seen an (S)AMOLED without problems) isn't ready for mass market just like weren't ready old plasmas tv years ago.

Yes but you assume you are the norm. You aren't. I know this because my job is to sell mobile phones for a living. In fact technically I manage a team that does this. I have never had a single person come back to me with an amoled or super amoled screen in the last 4 years to complain of screen quality. Whilst I'm not suggesting that samoled is perfect neither is lcd. If it was as much of an issue for other people as you seem to think it is (and you are entitled to warn people, but frankly I think you are over egging the pudding) then I would have expected to see customers coming back in to complain of image retention, burn in etc etc. The fact is they don't. Not because it never happens but because the issue is temporary and not enough to spoil the enjoyment of the device enough for them to complain. I've also never had a person come back to complain that they don't want to ever buy a device with an amoled screen again, because of their experience. Clearly for you it is an issue, but that is why you are the 1%.

I apologise If I leapt to the conclusion you were influenced by the internet, but the internet is full of people who bang on about (for example) pentile like it's the end of the world. My Nexus S was pentile and so was the Galaxy S. Uber geeks worry about this stuff not the vast majority of people. If people were to have any beef with amoled screens (pre samoled) It would be outdoor visibility under bright light. I could barely see my Nexus One screen on a sunny day. That I had occasional complaints about on the HTC Desire. But the truth is that the great majority really like the punch and contrast of amoled products which frankly blows LCD out of the water. As the technology advances things will get even better, however the product is more than mature enough for the market and frankly samoled is one of the things that actually draws people to buy Samsung smart phones.

kehs

Banned
boner am total

Follow up on G+ from Diane Hackborn (lady from android team) directed to Cyanogen:

Dianne Hackborn - Okay, let me please please beg you not to do this. I can guarantee you this introduces all kinds of application compatibility issues. We work really hard to give our developers a consistent environment where their apps will operate correctly across all the devices Market runs on, not being impacted by negative reviews from bad devices that they should not have to deal specially with.

If you start making your own distributions of Android behaving in such fundamentally different ways, I suspect we are going to need to start doing things to prevent you from impacting our app ecosystem. I'm not sure what, but I could imagine things such as restricting how users can interact with Market apps on these devices (not allowing reviews or such).

We have let a lot of things in this area slide -- for example to be allowed to include Market on your device you are supposed to fully pass CTS. However, if you start really diverging from the core Android platform (I would argue this takes you well into the realm of a fork rather than a customization) then some deep issues are going to come up about how we handle these custom builds.

We have been putting a lot of thought and work for a number of years into how to let Android applications run on increasingly diverse and dynamic screens. Doing this correctly, without impacting our app developers in a negative way, is a really challenging problem. I also think it is something that needs to be done at the mainline platform level, not as a customization, because doing it right is going to require new well defined interfaces with applications for them to interact with it, possibly starting with just a facility they need to use to opt in to it.
Collapse this comment
5:59 PM +9

Steve Kondik - +Dianne Hackborn This is definitely not something we'd turn on by default under any circumstance for all the reasons you are stating. I still think it's definitely a useful feature for those that want to use it though, and like I said, it needs a lot of polish.

Ruh Roh, that fork talk.

Link for those interested.

saunderez

I'm excited. Finally I can have my MSN client and web browser running on the same page. It's the main thing that has annoyed me about using tablets in general and now there's a solution.

EDIT: And if Google has a problem with it not being standard how about they start working on a similar feature themselves. It will dramatically increase productivity on tablet devices without a doubt.

kinggroin

Banned

You know, I was thinking about exactly this just the other day.

Back before the Xoom and HC, I thought Android going to tablets would bring about true multitasking a la windows. The biggest limiting factor of android as it exists on large screens, is its inability to intelligently use the extra real estate. It was because of that, that I realized my Xoom was in practice, no more functional than an iPad (ok, maybe a tad bit so). Following that, I began to contemplate selling it and moving to the iPad 3, where at least I'd gain a tangible benefit for what I use the tablet for (reading).

If this works as it should, then holy shit what a break through. It'll completely change the game for me, and realize my initial hopes for the platform and big screen devices!

LeleSocho

Banned
Yes but you assume you are the norm. You aren't. I know this because my job is to sell mobile phones for a living. In fact technically I manage a team that does this. I have never had a single person come back to me with an amoled or super amoled screen in the last 4 years to complain of screen quality. Whilst I'm not suggesting that samoled is perfect neither is lcd. If it was as much of an issue for other people as you seem to think it is (and you are entitled to warn people, but frankly I think you are over egging the pudding) then I would have expected to see customers coming back in to complain of image retention, burn in etc etc. The fact is they don't. Not because it never happens but because the issue is temporary and not enough to spoil the enjoyment of the device enough for them to complain. I've also never had a person come back to complain that they don't want to ever buy a device with an amoled screen again, because of their experience. Clearly for you it is an issue, but that is why you are the 1%.

I apologise If I leapt to the conclusion you were influenced by the internet, but the internet is full of people who bang on about (for example) pentile like it's the end of the world. My Nexus S was pentile and so was the Galaxy S. Uber geeks worry about this stuff not the vast majority of people. If people were to have any beef with amoled screens (pre samoled) It would be outdoor visibility under bright light. I could barely see my Nexus One screen on a sunny day. That I had occasional complaints about on the HTC Desire. But the truth is that the great majority really like the punch and contrast of amoled products which frankly blows LCD out of the water. As the technology advances things will get even better, however the product is more than mature enough for the market and frankly samoled is one of the things that actually draws people to buy Samsung smart phones.

But of course i am not directing what i am saying to people who buy a smartphone just because "whatevs i want a smartphone 'cause everyone have it and it's cool", people who can buy the worst thing on earth just because he wants it but to people that want to know what are they buying which aren't necessarily geek or nerd but people who just want to do a good deal... otherwise i wouldn't post it on GAF which i assume is full of people like this.
Anyway my rant is over :D i didn't want to convince no one just wanted to give an advice that i would liked to have before buying the phone :D

boner am total
I don't retract my statement, but I might alter it to a "semi."

Thinking about my Google Nexus use, I really like the multitasking button and I use it more often than I think I do, because it's so seamless. As long as a tablet doesn't have any slowdown and switching between apps is instant, I don't really care if I have it my messaging app on the same screen or if I have to go through the multitasking menu (2 quick screen presses).

The separate panels do get me thinking about serious video editing software, though, and if it will ever be comfortable on a (more powerful) tablet.

khan

Hi all, I want to root my Galaxy S2 (unlocked) in the near future but I can not find the right insecure and original kernels that match my phone (XWKI4). xda link here

Help would be appreciated. Thanks

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I really dislike ICS on my Vibrant. I have tried out the last few Passion roms and none of them run worth a damn for me. Tons of hitching, the browser is insanely slow (chrome or stock), the lock screen takes forever to work sometimes, really just a pain to use. But CM7 is awesome.

Linkhero1

Is it really that bad? I was considering getting an S2 to replace my N1

outsidah

I had the original Galaxy, GSII, Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus. No screen issues.

Note is coming Friday. Looking forward to putting it through some tests.

Desavona

Just had a close look at my Australian GS2 screen. I'm not seeing any of these issues being brought up. Even the retention, I think I noticed that once on my GS1 maybe. And my eyes are fine I noticed a dead pixel in my mother's Poineer plasma the other day while sitting 3-4 meters away. Could it maybe be a regional issue?

dream

dream would argue that a windowing system does not make CMx behave in "fundamentally different ways" from Android proper.

That said, I think it's a dumb idea unless someone starts shipping 13+" tablets.

Buying an HD2 tomorrow. I plan on 'upgrading' it to ICS and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with installing ICS on the HD2? any preferred version, suggestions, tips, etc. are all (VERY) welcome.

Is it really that bad? I was considering getting an S2 to replace my N1

I have a t989 gs2 and the only problem I've seen is the screen seem to have some vertical lines that are visible on low brightness. I'm not one of those people who keep there screen at low brightness just to save power so I honestly never notice the lines (and didn't until I read a thread on xna about). The blacks and colors are so damn nice though, truly amazing.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So my mum got a new phone and for some random reason, in a house with apple everywhere, she decided she wanted an android phone.

It's a new model samsung galaxy xcover (hard to find actual bloody info on it), It's running 2.3.6 and seems like there's no update to .7 for it, No biggie.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to enable the phone to continue to beep, say every 2 minutes, when there's a missed call or message. Is there any damn way to do this?

There also seems to be no clean bootrom for it either which is a shame. I would love to remove all the crap that comes with it to speed it up a little bit.

So I'm in the Currys in Edinburgh trying out an Asus Transformer Prime. So, so good, so smooth, so fast. Makes my Xoom look slow by comparison. And the keyboard dock is amazing. But they are out of stock. Gutting. This thing is so bought.

I'm excited. Finally I can have my MSN client and web browser running on the same page. It's the main thing that has annoyed me about using tablets in general and now there's a solution.

EDIT: And if Google has a problem with it not being standard how about they start working on a similar feature themselves. It will dramatically increase productivity on tablet devices without a doubt.

or... you can have that stuff but no Android Market.

So my mum got a new phone and for some random reason, in a house with apple everywhere, she decided she wanted an android phone.

It's a new model samsung galaxy xcover (hard to find actual bloody info on it), It's running 2.3.6 and seems like there's no update to .7 for it, No biggie.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to enable the phone to continue to beep, say every 2 minutes, when there's a missed call or message. Is there any damn way to do this?

There also seems to be no clean bootrom for it either which is a shame. I would love to remove all the crap that comes with it to speed it up a little bit.

https://github.com/annoma/Missed-Call

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom