• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun-drop

An advice for anyone who wants to buy a new smartphone:

DO NOT BUY A PHONE WITH (S)AMOLED SCREEN.

Galaxy S2 owner here and now thanks to this screen i hate this phone, the (S)AMOLED screens have a lot of problems an in my opinion the technology isn't mature enough for mass production, every phone i've seen with (s)amoled screens (Nexus S's, Galaxy S's, Galaxy S2s, Lumia 800's and Galaxy Note) have a series of defects that obviously can't be connected to bad luck like someone would say to you...
The problems i've seen are these:
Discoloration (the screen presents discoloration, from what i've seen most of the times the discoloration tends to be pinkish)
Color sensitive discolorations (like above but this appear only when the on the screen are displayed some colors, the most noticeable are the yellow spot when gray is displayed, usually it's on the sides of the screen)
Image retention (the screen will have a retention of the previously displayed image if it was darker than the current one)
Also a lot of them are Pentile screens which means less subpixel and not the same color fidelity of the RGB ones (but this isn't a defect per se but more lika a characteristic of some displays)
Obviously the technology have tempting qualities such as way more vivid and warmer colors and (even if it isn't too noticeable) better power consumptions but that's it, they have problems and like i said isn't bad luck because i sent the phone 2 times to Samsung to change the screen and every phone with (s)amoled i've seen had at least 2 of the problem i've listed.

Obviously this message is to the people that hate to have a not perfect screen and have to pay a lot of money to have a product that have such defects that aren't mentioned most of the times in reviews and such, for the people who can get over these problems good for them because aside from the problem mentioned before they are stunning screens...
I hope this could help someone and sorry for the bad English ( it took 30 mins to write this :/ )

yeh ..umm , just no.

i'me never ever investing $$ in a mobile device that isn't OLED ... hell i may not buy another display period that isn't oled.

have had a htc desire, and now a S2 .. and yeh ...would not give up those blacks for anything. and PS i've never noticed any image retention issues at all :/ ... ulgy as dark grey wanna be blacks on other displays are far more visually jarring to me these days than what you talk about. but i guess every one has their own prefences etc.

Nicktendo86

yeh ..umm , just no.

i'me never ever investing $$ in a mobile device that isn't OLED ... hell i may not buy another display period that isn't oled.

have had a htc desire, and now a S2 .. and yeh ...would not give up those blacks for anything. and PS i've never noticed any image retention issues at all :/ ... ulgy as dark grey wanna be blacks on other displays are far more visually jarring to me these days than what you talk about. but i guess every one has their own prefences etc.

GS2 owner here and never had a problem with the screen. Get some slight image retention if I leave the keyboard up for a while but that is no problem, the screen has been a revelation for me.

By the way have everything crossed for ICS update on the 1st March, will be really disappointed if I plug my phone in and Kies says there us no update :(

Circle T

My Best Galaxy posing with his slightly dumber, Qualcomm'd AT&T Best Galaxy brother....

5XdcS.jpg

rozay

Banned
its not burn in, its image retention. Lets clarify that up front. AMOLED screens have it, but it depends on how its used and what screens you jump back and forth to if you notice it. I rarely notice it but it does happen. Amoled does have its issues and if you look around its pretty easy to find a lot of people talking about them. The fact is, even with its issues, its close to the best screen you can get. Hell, i have only owned pentile displays. If I can merge the iphone display with amoled, i'd be in heaven.

And samsung needs to get some bigger models to offset the size of that damn phone
My nexus one has burn-in from the notification bar. It has never gone away. The only reason it doesn't bother the shit out of me is that I use my phone in landscape maybe a minute a month at most.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

Thanks for that. Sould work wonders. And thanks for the link markot, will have to keep an eye on it all.

I'm guessing I can't install a clean non filled with bs rom on the device just yet? I thought about putting cyanogenmod on it but there doesn't seem to be support for the device. Might need to spend some more time googling.

How hard is it to brick a phone while updating? Either rooting it or throwing a new rom on it. And is it possible at all to correct that on an android phone?

3phemeral

New king for the Best Galaxy throne? Samsung Galaxy Note Tab 10.1 w/ SPen by Wacom. Wonder if it'll have SAMOLED HD+ and 4G LTE.
I love how wacom pens are finally making their way onto Android tablets. Maybe if they're decent, I can unload this gigantic Cintiq tablet for something more portable. Consolidate all my art stuff into one device. A good thing dropbox is so awesome at keeping everything synced for me or I'd be carrying a bunch of memory sticks everywhere.

Ashhong

Buying an HD2 tomorrow. I plan on 'upgrading' it to ICS and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with installing ICS on the HD2? any preferred version, suggestions, tips, etc. are all (VERY) welcome.

I recommend sticking with GB on the HD2 for now. The battery life with ICS just isn't there yet.

Blackhead

Redarse
New king for the Best Galaxy throne? Samsung Galaxy Note Tab 10.1 w/ SPen by Wacom. Wonder if it'll have SAMOLED HD+ and 4G LTE.

Hmmm... Should I be hyped for MWC this year? On one hand, nothing shown is likely to be released during this quarter, but on the other hand the OEMs must have learnt from thier lesson last year and know the iPad3 on the horizon. What are the odds that functional products are demoed at MWC that aren't rendered obsolete by Apple a week later?

kehs

Banned
Hmmm... Should I be hyped for MWC this year? On one hand, nothing shown is likely to be released during this quarter, but on the other hand the OEMs must have learnt from thier lesson last year and know the iPad3 on the horizon. What are the odds that functional products are demoed at MWC that aren't rendered obsolete by Apple a week later?

Padfone is expected to debut there and possibly launched as well. They should just change the event name to Padfone World Conference and be done with it.

------

Best Galaxy contender changing lives.

gcubed

Sorta hyped, interested to see Moto/Intel and who tegra 3 got on board. Everything is still meh compared to SGS3

Sanic

I'm a little unsure as to how to go about putting ICS on my Nexus S. Most of the guides im seeing mention replacing the bootloader, or otherwise describing a process more complex than throwing the rom onto the phone and flashing it with clockwerkmod. Should I follow these guides?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Kind of cool actually. Like a mini phone/remote. Would get a wifi version that is reasonably priced.
I can see being in the airport and using the mini to make a voip call. Or using it as media remote.

jokkir

Well dammit. I screwed up applying a screen protector on my Nexus S and now I'm screen protector-less for a few days.

Anyone know the strength of this screen? It's not gorilla glass that I know. I hope I dont get any scratches on this thing :(

yogloo

To the Galaxy Note elites,
Just want to share a bit, go download voodoo screen tuner in the market. It serves as a fix for Note's screen banding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom