• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Y84bm.png

Relevant Links to other NeoGAF threads
--------------------------
Apps for Android |OT|

Android Gaming |OT| New OP

Show off your Android Customizations thread

What's Android?
---------------------------
- A flexible operating system initially made for phones, but it now moving into tablets, computers, microwaves, stationary bikes, and even your HP Touchpad.

Early Days of Android by OS News

What's the Latest Version of Android and where can I get it?
The latest officially open sources version of Android as of 12/23/11 is Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3)

Where can you get it?
Here http://developer.android.com/index.html

You can't do much with that unless you're a developer.

So then what?
Well you're at the mercy of whoever is responsible for your device (Samsung/HTC/Verizon/ATT/etc), or you can ROOT your phone and install custom firmware. Even then, you're still at the mercy of whoever is putting ROMs together for your device unless you compile the OS yourself.

Root, Roms, Bootloaders, Hacking, and Macking???
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Every device is different, so they all have different procedures for doing all those things.

*Links for major devices will be posted here if people pm the links, but more than likely this sentence will stay like this forever*

Sounds complicated, is android just poor's man iPhone?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes.

I keep hearing Android is fragmented, what's up with that?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stop paying attention to fools. Fragmentation and Versioning are different things. There are numerous "point" versions to Android out there at any given time.

If you point your browser here:

http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/platform-versions.html

You can see the latest breakdown of Android devices accessing the Android Market. It's not a complete metric of Android, but it's the closest thing to an "official" count.

Android applications are forward compatible. Meaning, If a developer stops supporting their app targeted for version 2.0. It will still work on Android version 6.5.

Where can I download Apps?
------------------------------------------
From the Android Market that's built into your phone or their site:

********None of these store are curated unless noted otherwise(not even the Android Market) so user beware********

or from the Amazon Appstore (Amazon Curates their App Store)

or from GetJAR

or from Slideme

or......

*links that people will pm for other sources.*

Current Awesome Devices (12/11)
------------------------------------------
Here you can find a list of Android phones as listed by Google, the site doesn't include ALL phones, but only those recognized by Google.

Android Phones as Acknowledged by Google

AT&T
Samsung Galaxy S II
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (needs to be imported)
Atrix 2

Sprint
Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G

T-Mobile
Samsung Galaxy S II
HTC Sensation
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (needs to be imported)

Verizon
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Droid Razr

International
Samsung Galaxy S II
Samsung Galaxy Nexus

2nd Tier
Google Nexus S (ATT/T-Mobile/Sprint/International)

*Latest Devices as of October 2011 go here that people will laugh and mock in six months go here*

*Stuff noone will ever read goes here*

Relevant Links to other NeoGAF threads
--------------------------
Apps for Android |OT|

Android Gaming |OT| New OP

Show off your Android Customizations thread

What are GAF's Top 5 Android Apps?

Android Thread - 2011 Edition | Stuffed on Gingerbread, Hungry for Honeycomb!

Links to other Misc. Info
----------------------------
AndroidandMe.com has a very comprehensive article(as of August 2011) detailing updating histories for companies:

http://androidandme.com/2011/08/news/updates-or-lack-thereof-on-the-android-update-alliance/

Where can I get the latest news, and be cool like Android Gaf?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In no particular order

Android and Me

Android Central

Android Police

Phandroid

Droid Life

**More links here if people send them to me**

dream

There's far less humor in the OP than I would expect from my esteemed colleague Coperdickus.

LLShC.gif

kehs

Banned
Look, look, I know it's a little janky, broken up, lacks polish, and not very cohesive, but some of those things had to be pulled back for the next iteration.

When you see the Android |OT2| it's going to blow your mind.

Copernicus said:
Look, look, I know it's a little janky, broken up, lacks polish, and not very cohesive, but some of those things had to be pulled back for the next iteration.

Best troll eva

Copernicus said:

wut?

dream

AndyD said:
Yes. That is what sets them apart, that it is carefully curated. Whatever that means.

I thought what set the Amazon App Store apart is how badly they fuck developers.

Copernicus said:

That's more like it!

SimleuqiR

Copernicus said:

You could have at least given it a juicy dessert name.

Well as a Android positive. I just drove home and during the rides I streamed from Google music to my Nexus S4G and piped that through the stereo. Good times.

Ephemeris

Copernicus said:

Well played.

SimleuqiR

tehbible, you made history:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31619585&postcount=21611

Last post on that epic thread.

Jeff-DSA

So what is everybody's opinion of best phone on Sprint with a keyboard? My wife isn't ready to give up the physical keyboard yet.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I hope the Samsung Galaxy Nexus doesn't end up a Verizon exclusive. Ugh. I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom