• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

My gamestop is down the street from me, about a 5 min walk...just called and they have about 10 people waiting...they expect a few more closer to midnight. I did not reserve one, but they have extras of both versions. Beleive it or not, even with me buying 3 games from Target today and reading and posting in this thread all day....Im actually not sure if I should pull the trigger now....

Not sure what is holding me back other than feeling buyers remorse since it is a big chunk of change..$300 for the system, $96 in 3 games, still need carrying case, screen protector and car charge. All said and done, it might be close $480 with tax for a handheld system.

Damn..not sure what to do..it looks really great...I do have the money, so it is not like I am going to be living off of noodles for a while, it is just an expensive investment..but damn does it look sexy. I need some quick help here Gaf..what do I do?

Whatever you do, don't live in the heat of the moment.

Noirulus

The Vita feels lighter to me. The Vita is a gorgeous device but I was more impressed with the PSP at first sight. Reason being smart phone screens have desensitized me from being amazed by new screens. I will say again the Vita is gorgeous. I was also impressed how fantastic the touch screen was. Almost as good as te iPhone in terms of not having a delay. I have the 3DS and the Vita really makes the 3DS hardware feel a generation behind in ter
S of pure asthetics.

I've had mine for a week since I got the FEB, but I have to say that it's absolutely magical. I thought the PSP was something else when I took it home that night but the Vita absolutely blew me away.

In terms of the weight, it's qutie a bit lighter but still has that sturdy feeling that the later revisions lacked.

Without a doubt, the PSP was more technologically amazing for it's time.

Vita feels lighter to me, but it may be because the weight is spread out.

Damnit, I so want to get it now. Thanks for the impressions.

sun-drop

2. No, if you don't format the memory card, you can keep the demos and play them in different accounts. However, there are certain demos that are locked to the account.

how does this work exactly ... i thought the vita just plain wont accept a card that been used on another account ...is it a per app thing? and can a game choose to be DD region free to?

does any one know if the US version of the PSN fifa ties it's self to the account or can you download it to ... uuuh ...

lets say my NZ account is my main vita account ..... can i pop it out ..... login on my vita with my us account, pop my memcard back in (despite it having all my nz stuff on it) ..go to the US store and BUY fifa (for half the price we have it locally) .... pop the card out. sign out and factory reset the vita. sign in on my NZ account .... pop the card back in .....

would i be able to play fifa? ..... would i be able to play online with it ?

need to know this :(

- J - D -

Fireworks game is the only decent AR game currently available. I wouldn't bother with the other ones. The other ones aren't terrible, they're just meh. Can't argue with free, though.

dPUMc.jpg

8D8ZF.jpg

tzare

so is netflix available in euroland? or is it downloadable form us account, then switch vita's account to euro one and may work?

MarkusRJR

My vita looks like it might have a problem displaying blacks. The black isn't solid black throughout. It has splatters where it's an off black/grey. Only the bottom half shows true black. I'm not sure if i should return it. Is it a common occurence with oled's? Everyone on gaf should to go to the browser and fill the screen with a black image to make sure they they don't have a problem. It took a solid 15 seconds of all black to notice the problem.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
How weird - Ninja Gaiden looks cleaner in those screens than I remember the official screens being (?)

Also...OMG, WEDNESDAY, GOING TO PICK UP MY VITA SOON.

Cookie18

Wow, you can tell the Vita launched at midnight with how this thread has essentially doubled in size.

Just woke up in the UK, my body clock has become warped. I have been waking up early the last few days because of the excitement for the Vita :/

Regardless I am up and ready to go. Now if only I wasn't waiting on the postman. I really wish we had tracking on the Vita orders from Amazon, that way I'll know when to go to reception. It seems pretty silly not to have tracking on a £280 order.

Hopefully it arrives before my seminar starts so I can head off to Uni with it and buy some games etc. Luckily my seminar today is only 1 hour and then I am done for the day.

Bring on the next generation of portable gaming!

Eusis

I tweeted @yosp asking this yesterday, no answer though. Not sure if there's anyone better to ask. :/
If you can just play the PS3 demo and see how smooth it looks in comparison. If it's the same it's probably 60, if it's WAY less then it's probably 30, and if it only looks slightly less smooth or something it may well be in between.

Priz

Hmm... pondering if we could download the Nico Nico Douga player on a JP account and then run it on the US one...

I wished EXIT/EXIT 2 & XI/Devil Dice were on PSN. Those are the two PSP game series I'd love to play on the Vita.

Just downloaded the new patch for my JP copy of Ridge Racer - and now its all in English. Sweet! Not sure if its placebo effect but I think the framerate has been improved a bit too.

raven777

how does this work exactly ... i thought the vita just plain wont accept a card that been used on another account ...is it a per app thing? and can a game choose to be DD region free to?

does any one know if the US version of the PSN fifa ties it's self to the account or can you download it to ... uuuh ...

lets say my NZ account is my main vita account ..... can i pop it out ..... login on my vita with my us account, pop my memcard back in (despite it having all my nz stuff on it) ..go to the US store and BUY fifa (for half the price we have it locally) .... pop the card out. sign out and factory reset the vita. sign in on my NZ account .... pop the card back in .....

would i be able to play fifa? ..... would i be able to play online with it ?

need to know this :(

The thing is, after you format the system, don't format the memory card. After that, when your vita restarts at factory setting, go through the initial setup process and when they ask if you have a PSN account, choose yes and log in to the PSN account(the new one you want to use) right away. I heard you cannot do it after you finish the initial setup.

And during all these process, never take out the memory card from vita.

As for the comparability, I guess it depends on which demo it is. As for the full game, I am not sure, but I heard it is tied to the account itself, so you cannot play it on other account. But I might be wrong with this.

sun-drop

The thing is, after you format the system, don't format the memory card. After that, when your vita restarts at factory setting, go through the initial setup process and when they ask if you have a PSN account, choose yes and log in to the PSN account right away. I heard you cannot do it after you finish the initial setup.

And during all these process, never take out the memory card from vita.

As for the comparability, I guess it depends on which demo it is. As for the full game, I am not sure, but I heard it is tied to the account itself, so you cannot play it on other account. But I might be wrong with this.

thats interesting ..because the vita manual infers you can't use a memcard thats already been linked to another account:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/basic/media.html

After you sign up for PlayStation®Network from your PS Vita system, memory cards that you insert are linked to your PlayStation®Network account. You can only use the memory cards in PS Vita systems to which the same PlayStation®Network account is linked.

curious .... guess i'll try this with the netflix account .... but i hope what you say is true ...may get around the region locking on DD titles

darkwing

My vita looks like it might have a problem displaying blacks. The black isn't solid black throughout. It has splatters where it's an off black/grey. Only the bottom half shows true black. I'm not sure if i should return it. Is it a common occurence with oled's? Everyone on gaf should to go to the browser and fill the screen with a black image to make sure they they don't have a problem. It took a solid 15 seconds of all black to notice the problem.

it happens to my Samsung Galaxy S2 too, I have to let my eyes adjust to the darkness for several seconds though to notice it

Snowballo

1. JP store has japanese demo, HK store has english demo

2. No, if you don't format the memory card, you can keep the demos and play them in different accounts. However, there are certain demos that are locked to the account.

3. I thought it would, but I switched with 1 memory card and it worked just fine.

Thanks to you and the other guys for the reply.

1. Ok, so I will go for the HK one. Is there a tutorial around?
2. I'm confused. So do you mean that, having two memory cards, I can keep two different accounts (me_pal and me_hk) and playing the demos from different areas? Could you name me a locked demo?
3. So now you have an "HK memory" and a "US memory" and both work fine?

raven777

thats interesting ..because the vita manual infers you can't use a memcard thats already been linked to another account:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/basic/media.html

After you sign up for PlayStation®Network from your PS Vita system, memory cards that you insert are linked to your PlayStation®Network account. You can only use the memory cards in PS Vita systems to which the same PlayStation®Network account is linked.

curious .... guess i'll try this with the netflix account .... but i hope what you say is true ...may get around the region locking on DD titles

Oh yea, you have to deactivate your account when they ask. I think this is what makes it possible. (although I actually didn't deactivate one of the accounts)

With this I actually went through 3 different accounts with one memory card.

Cookie18

To US people looking for MotorStorm RC.

I am looking at it right now on the UK SEN store. I imagine they just need to update your store as it is here to buy for us.

raven777

Thanks to you and the other guys for the reply.

1. Ok, so I will go for the HK one. Is there a tutorial around?
2. I'm confused. So do you mean that, having two memory cards, I can keep two different accounts (me_pal and me_hk) and playing the demos from different areas? Could you name me a locked demo?
3. So now you have an "HK memory" and a "US memory" and both work fine?

I kept 3 accounts in one memory card, so I don't know how it would work with 2 memory card way.

And as for the demos, all the ones I have (Gravity Rush, Dynasty warriors NEXT(JP), Virtua Tennis4(JP), Ragnarok Odyssey(JP), Uncharted:GA(HK), Shinobido(JP), worked fine on US account.

How weird - Ninja Gaiden looks cleaner in those screens than I remember the official screens being (?)

Also...OMG, WEDNESDAY, GOING TO PICK UP MY VITA SOON.

The game looks insanely clean and sharp, the only downside is the lack of lighting but it's an old game, for a quick port it looks great.

M.W.

I meant another update since you guys have your Vita games on there. I don't understand why it wouldn't be on there though. As of yesterday I am sure it was confirmed for a worldwide day one release.

Hmm, you think it would be a worldwide release. Hopefully it comes out soon, and for around the same price point as you blokes get! :)

Table Soccer tutorial is broken.

It says to Zoom in. I did, like literally to the point where the AR card is against the camera. No prompt to continue. Can't play it. LOL

syoaran

Walked into HMV's early opening to pick mine up. Seems like their £25 for an additional game is now hidden, but still valid if you had a pre-order.

Sadly every wifi connection nearby requires you to login via a web browser, so got to wait until I go home to use mine....

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Just downloaded the new patch for my JP copy of Ridge Racer - and now its all in English. Sweet! Not sure if its placebo effect but I think the framerate has been improved a bit too.

its been confirmed the framerate is 30 fps after the patch by DJMizuhara.

Oh yea, you have to deactivate your account when they ask. I think this is what makes it possible. (although I actually didn't deactivate one of the accounts)

With this I actually went through 3 different accounts with one memory card.

I didn't bother to de-activate a few of the times either..

Works fine, at least for demos.

The only time I saw any mention from the Vita of an account being linked to my memory card was when I tried to sign up for a new account from the vita itself with the memory card inserted.

When I did that, it threatened me with formatting the memory card. I simply removed it, registered the account and rebooted the Vita with the memory card in and didn't have another issue.

DCharlie

Banned
For the last time: 30 or 60 fps?

feels like a smooth 30fps to me - let me check again.

also note - you can change the Gamma , Brightness and contrast in the options - i'm fiddling with the settings now , looks like it makes a considerable different.

sun-drop

The only time I saw any mention from the Vita of an account being linked to my memory card was when I tried to sign up for a new account from the vita itself with the memory card inserted.

When I did that, it threatened me with formatting the memory card. I simply removed it, registered the account and rebooted the Vita with the memory card in and didn't have another issue.

crazy ...that goes against everything we've been told then so far....

so if yr not formating the card inbetween account/profile changes ..... does that effect anything in terms of the vitas operation?

i mean is any account specific stuff actually stored on the card .... from what you guys say ...i guess not .... ?

DCharlie

Banned
Actually - you know what, i think it's 60. It's pretty damned smooth regardless.

Or one of those MH3G situations where it's 45 or something.

crazy ...that goes against everything we've been told then so far....

so if yr not formating the card inbetween account/profile changes ..... does that effect anything in terms of the vitas operation?

i mean is any account specific stuff actually stored on the card .... from what you guys say ...i guess not .... ?

I think it is affected in terms of full versions of games.. When I started the uncharted game from my JP account (started with my US account) it was able to load my save, but I got a notification that said I couldn't earn trophies. I don't know if that is because I forgot to sync them or if it was an account issue.

Using that method for demos, I'm not seeing any problems with operation.

my JPN and UK demos seem perfectly happy to coexist on my memory card with my US demos and games.

edit - Also, of course sony would tell you that you need another memory card.. they have to be making a killing on those. To be fair, it does ask to format your card when you do a "restore" on the Vita.. but it works fine with telling it "No"

demolitio

Man, I don't know what's keeping me more restless tonight, the Vita day finally arriving or the surgery day finally arriving. I'm glad it comes out the same day though as my plan is for the Vita to try and balance out the day and not make it as shitty, lol.

Toki767

Back from my Gamestop venture. There were about 20 people there which wasn't too bad. I asked the guy how many preorders the Vita received and he said 50. 21 wifi, 17 3G, and 12 FEB. There were also some walk-ins to buy it. Overall not too bad. Chatted with some folks and everything went smooth. Saw lots of people buying Dynasty Warriors NEXT. Probably for their kids.

Just some random bit of info that I thought was interesting...

The PSN Panel I picked on my Vita has a dark blue background. Although the art panel isn't visible on PS3, the dark blue color shows as my PS3 profile panel color!

I've already had two people ask me how I was able to make it dark blue.

6773788032_df4e221ae7_z.jpg

There are well over 100 panels to choose from on Vita.

Hurray for escaping the original 20 color limitation!

EDIT:
Now I have Royal Blue! Yay!
6919926467_9b82373a03_z.jpg

Time to change my Avatar to match.

sun-drop

can any one try this ...with a game they have brought off psn .... see if you can play it via yr alternate profile ... ?

I got in my copy of Wipeout from Amazon today and tomorrow I should be getting my copies of Marvel and Lumines with the Vita Starter Kit. At 10am, I'll be at GameStop to get my Vita. I can only hope Ensenda gives me my games/accessories before I go to work.

can any one try this ...with a game they have brought off psn .... see if you can play it via yr alternate profile ... ?

I'm almost done downloading ninja gaiden.. I'll switch to my JP account and see if it will let me play. I'm assuming that the answer will be no.

sun-drop

I think it is affected in terms of full versions of games.. When I started the uncharted game from my JP account (started with my US account) it was able to load my save, but I got a notification that said I couldn't earn trophies. I don't know if that is because I forgot to sync them or if it was an account issue.

Using that method for demos, I'm not seeing any problems with operation.

my JPN and UK demos seem perfectly happy to coexist on my memory card with my US demos and games.

edit - Also, of course sony would tell you that you need another memory card.. they have to be making a killing on those. To be fair, it does ask to format your card when you do a "restore" on the Vita.. but it works fine with telling it "No"

ah ...but apart from the trophies.... you could actually play uncharted via the JP account?

i wonder if that means it would not let you play online if the game in question had a online mode ...

at least demos work ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom