• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icicle

I'm just surprised Janice has a career or a record deal at this point, Virgin didn't even bother promoting the 500K selling follow up to Damita WHO? and 20 Y.O. Flop outside the US because it pretty much failed to chart anywhere.

If you're surprised she has a recording contract, much less any career at all even though she's one of the most successful recording artists of all time, you're almost as dumb as Madonna herself.

Damita Jo, despite releasing the month after her Super Bowl performance, which resulted in her videos/songs getting blacklisted from many TV/radio stations, still managed to sell 380,000 copies in its first week in the US, which is more than any Madonna album has opened with since Music (2000). Madonna had gone 11 years without a #1 album before that album came along. Or maybe that #1 was just a fluke?

Having achieved four consecutive albums #1 albums, Janet took pity on the talentless Madonna, who had not tasted success since the 80's. In her great generosity, Janet allowed Madonna to have an entire year to sell her music before Janet returned with yet another #1 album.

Does anyone even remember the name of Janice's last album?

In fact I do! It was "Number Ones/The Best," and she's supporting it now on tour. Despite releasing substantially less music than Madonna, Janet's music has actually spent more time at the top of the Hot 100. Care to explain?

ctl3N.gif

After the embarrassing failure of the "Rock Wit U" (LOL) "World" (LOL) Tour, it's hardly unsurprising that her latest tour is "intimate".

Of the 15 dates with Box Office information for her current tour on Wikipedia, 11 dates were sell-outs, 2 were at 99%, 1 was at 87%. Really the only 'bad' figure among the bunch would be Melbourne, with 76%, but that can probably be explained by some pressed Aussie who got her wig snatched and sabotaged the concert.

Considering Janet's average ticket price ($105) is higher than nearly every other act (Gaga, U2, Prince, Bon Jovi), there's clearly significant demand for her. An intimate setting gives her fans an appreciably better concert experience than some large complex would. (http://www.pollstarpro.com/files/Charts2011/071811Top50WorldwideTours.pdf)

Oh, and let's not forget Madonna's last tour, in which her need for a large, elaborate stage fucking killed two people and wounded eight others. Madonna said she was "devastated" by the news, but she was probably talking about the cancellation of that night's concert.

B51Ri.gif

This is the outcome of a woman whose greatest creative output within the past decade was getting her tit out at a football game.

Are you bitter because Janet's show was objectively better, or because they asked her first? After that moment, Janet became the most searched person in the history of the internet. If Madonna's bra got ripped off, bitch would probably trip over her saggy ass tit.

Madonna's throwing shade because she wants nothing more than to have people talking about one of her performances almost 10 years later. At 2:15 in this video, watch her try and take a cheap shot at Janet, and the audience boos her. What a cunt, even Piers Morgan and I agree on this.

The video (Watch the whole clip to see how dumb this woman really is, Family Guy was on point with this one)

And there is no need to bring up Madonna, Janice is still taking notes
FlawedComparison1.jpg
FlawedComparison2.jpg

I'm not seeing much of a similarity here. Just because Madonna's more than a half-century old (and looking every bit worse for the wear), it doesn't entitle her to be acting like she's the first female singer in history. She's like the damn patent troll of the music industry. When Gaga's having her moment, this bitch pops up and calls her 'reductive.' She seems to think, and by posting those images, I take it you do as well, that she "invented" particular looks, sounds, images, etc. As Cher once said, "I look at Madonna and think 'Nice try dear, but you’re not doing anything I didn’t do 20 years ago.'"

Madonna must have serious delusions if she thinks she can call herself the original and then proceed to do things that have very notably been done before. Arguments could just as easily be made for Janet's collaboration with Justin Timberlake, her Superbowl performance, or the many other things Madonna has aped from others, but nobody else is that desperate for validation. It's like she grew up without getting proper acknowledgement from her parents, and she's feels her daddy issues can only be resolved by thrusting her menopausal wolf-pussy at anyone who will stay and watch the freak show.

OAx59.gif

One thing that I will recognize Madonna for is her complete willingness to do whatever it takes to get attention. Her debut song, titled "Like a Virgin," 'cleverly' contrasted with her whoredom in the video, ensured the family protests groups took notice of her. Realizing that she has no actual talent to rely on, Madonna has had to come up with new ways to keep people interested in her. She started incorporating blatant religious imagery, like burning crosses, and recorded a song about giving head titled "Like a Prayer" to maximize its offensive potential. She posed for Playboy, stimulated female masturbation on tour, published her awful own book "Sex" ...I think you get the point, so I'll fast forward to her more recent 'controversies.'

At the age of 44, the infamous Madonna/Britney/kinda Christina kiss occurred at the 2003 VMA Awards. In 2005, the 46 year old released her video for "Hung Up" which her in a pink leotard doing all sorts of gag-inducing thrusting. A year later, Madonna decided she wanted to get herself a third world baby like other celebrities were doing, but didn't feel like complying with local laws. In Madonna's most recent video, the decrepit 53-year old is still trying to look like someone half her age. Like a glass of rancid milk at the back of the fridge, her sex appeal has long since expired. If she really wanted to continue being 'provocative' and 'surprising,' she could pursue a career in horror films. It can't possibly turn out worse than any movie she's been involved with so far, and she wouldn't even need to wear any make-up for her role.

TbuUK.jpg

Madonna chooses to hate on the talented individuals in the industry out of envy. She's got beef with Janet, Elton John, Cher, Lady Gaga, 50 Cent, Jennifer Lopez, Prince, Mariah Carey, etc. I would give Madonna the benefit of the doubt and chalk all these fights up to coincidence, but Madonna has admitted "I'm not the best singer and I know that I'm not the best dancer." Although she's clearly lacking in both departments, I do wonder if it's fair to hold fossils to such high standards.

dquxO.gif

U MAD-DONNA?

janclickv7z8f.gif

Edit: Using dat Korean technology to turn off your other fave :lol

Girls, the Femme Fatale concert DVD is on Netflix instant stream.

I've never had so much second-hand embarrassment for a celebrity in my life. What a travesty. A lazy, stiff, soulless travesty. I'm very interested in knowing how many folks (Britney stans or otherwise) can defend her performances or make a claim for any redeeming qualities in it. It was just... unprofessional. I could never excuse someone who's charging money to watch her perform to deliver such a lowest-common-denominator kind of show. I don't give a shit what you went through years prior, when you're charging (and making) so much money and have all the resources that you do, you can give a little effort.

Also, take some goddamn yoga classes.

royalan

Wow, a full-on Janet vs Madonna stan battle...

It's like watching one of those war reenactments on the History Channel.

Damita Jo, despite releasing the month after her Super Bowl performance, which resulted in her videos/songs getting blacklisted from many TV/radio stations, still managed to sell 380,000 copies in its first week in the US, which is more than any Madonna album has opened with since Music (2000). Madonna had gone 11 years without a #1 album before that album came along. Or maybe that #1 was just a fluke?

Damita Who? didn't even hit #1 in the US, so why bring up Madonna's amazing chart performance? The fact that you've gone out of your way to neglect international sales and chart performance is rather telling, as Janice has little to no presence in the world aside from the fact that she is Michael Jackson's sister.

Damita Who? (2004) Chart Run:

U.k 32-71-out
Japan 18-10-13-15-16-25-34-??
Italy 37-65-out
World 3-8-13-21-27-??
Australia 18-44-out
Netherland 55-23
Ireland 72-out
Brazil 40-36-38-out
Denmark 34-78-??
Taiwan 2-3-5-??
U.S 2-3-4-15-25-32-42-51-64-55-72-81-83-96-109-123-140-163-180-out
Austria 49-out
New zeland 50-out
Switzerland 34-37-72-93-out
Sweden 43-out
France 35-61-103-126-159-157
Canada 7-18-20-35-53-19
Germany 21-71-84-out
Spain 49-

All Nite (Don't Sell) Damita Who? lead single peak positions:

UK: #19
Australia: #24
Ireland: #26
Japan: #30
New Zealand: #39
Italy: #43
US: #46
Germany: #48
Switzerland: #76

tumblr_lzlliq3K2O1qmb8czo1_500.gif

In comparison, a year later Madonna released Confessions on a Dance Floor.

Although I cannot find a detailed international chart run for Confessions, this list alone is enough to colour Janice a deeper shade of blue:

Argentina: #1
Australia: #1
Austria: #1
Belgium: #1
Belgium (Wallonia): #1
Brazil: #1
Canada: #1
Denmark: #1
Europe: #1
Finland: #1
France: #1
Germany: #1
Greece: #1
Hungary: #1
Ireland: #3
Italy: #1
Japan: #5
Mexico: #3
Netherlands: #1
New Zealand: #5
Norway: #1
Poland: #1
Portugal: #1
Spain: #1
Sweden: #1
Switzerland: #1
UK: #1
US: #1

Hung Up peak positions:

Argentina: #1
Australia: #1
Austria: #1
Belgium: #1
Belgium (Wallonia): #1
Brazil: #1
Canada: #1
Denmark: #1
European Top 100 Albums: #1
Finland: #1
France: #1
Germany: #1
Greece: #1
Hungary: #1
Ireland: #2
Italy: #1
Japan: #1
Mexico: #1
Netherlands: #1
New Zealand: #2
Norway: #1
Poland: #1
Portugal: #1
Spain: #1
Sweden: #1
Switzerland: #1
UK: #1
US: #7

Clearly, the market speaks for itself. Even in a period in which Madonna was scrambling to get her career back into shape, she obliterates Janice's wig in every respect.

tumblr_lzxny6TMtV1roj4fio1_500.gif

Having achieved four consecutive albums #1 albums, Janet took pity on the talentless Madonna, who had not tasted success since the 80's. In her great generosity, Janet allowed Madonna to have an entire year to sell her music before Janet returned with yet another #1 album.

Actually, Hard Candy was Madonna's FOURTH consecutive #1 studio album in the US (Ray of Light, Music, American Life, Confessions on a Dancefloor, Hard Candy), MDNA will be her FIFTH.

Erotica: #2
Bedtime Stories: #3
Ray of Light: #2
Music: #1
American Life: #1
Confessions on a Dance Floor: #1
Hard Candy: #1

tumblr_m039wjzYMa1roj4fio1_500.gif

Janet's music has actually spent more time at the top of the Hot 100. Care to explain?

Is there any actual proof of this? The only relationship Janice has had with the Hot 100 n the past decade is that both have become less relevant with every passing week.

Madonna doesn't have a sibling infinitely more well known than her and can't leech off the name? Let's face it, if Janice weren't related to Michael, she wouldn't even be signed in the FIRST PLACE.

tumblr_lx9cbrpJO81r222pao1_250.gif

Of the 15 dates with Box Office information for her current tour on Wikipedia, 11 dates were sell-outs, 2 were at 99%, 1 was at 87%. Really the only 'bad' figure among the bunch would be Melbourne, with 76%, but that can probably be explained by some pressed Aussie who got her wig snatched and sabotaged the concert.

Only 11 of 15 dates in a THEATER sold out?

Amusing.

This is in stark contrast to Madonna selling out STADIUMS around the world and unleashing the highest grossing tour by a solo artist in history a mere 3 years ago.

Madonna will no doubt shatter her own record with The Madonna Tour. Janice and Caca stans will be at home, bald, cold, lost and eating their feelings.

tumblr_m0bti9QHQh1qjv7nho1_500.gif

Oh, and let's not forget Madonna's last tour, in which her need for a large, elaborate stage fucking killed two people and wounded eight others.

Need? Rather a demand considering she was selling out 80,000+ capacity venues.

You could fit what, 8,000 Janice "intimate" shows into Wembley Stadium? Poor Janice.

Madonna said she was "devastated" by the news, but she was probably talking about the cancellation of that night's concert.

A sentiment echoed by Humanity.

tumblr_m0bqxzsP3g1rqe6tzo1_400.jpg

Are you bitter because Janet's show was objectively better, or because they asked her first? After that moment, Janet became the most searched person in the history of the internet.

Better? According to who, Janet stans? Janet stans who haunt the world like the arse end of the Cretaceous period refusing to die?

Janice standing around miming in a theatre in jeans which are CLEARLY too small for her does not a good show make.

Madonna is the EXPERIENCE. Janice looks like she got a $1K government grant and is putting on a show in the local school hall for free.

It isn't 2004 anymore, she is probably less searched than Ceiling Cat these days.

086266-janet-jackson-perth.jpg

If Madonna's bra got ripped off, bitch would probably trip over her saggy ass tit.

Madonna doesn't need to resort to having a man rip her top off in a public forum for attention. Her performance at the Superbowl had higher ratings than the Superbowl itself.

entrancewqjao.gif

When Gaga's having her moment, this bitch pops up and calls her 'reductive.'

What moment would that be? Her latest single bombing at #29? Madonna was asked a question about a song and answered expertly and accurately. In fact, she showed more restraint than most artists would if one of their most well known songs were ripped off wholesale by some hideous little upstart.

tumblr_m0bfw1VMle1r8cw67o1_500.jpg

Madonna must have serious delusions if she thinks she can call herself the original and then proceed to do things that have very notably been done before. Arguments could just as easily be made for Janet's collaboration with Justin Timberlake, her Superbowl performance, or the many other things Madonna has aped from others, but nobody else is that desperate for validation. It's like she grew up without getting proper acknowledgement from her parents, and she's feels her daddy issues can only be resolved by thrusting her menopausal wolf-pussy at anyone who will stay and watch the freak show.

Delusions would be trying to invalidate Madonna's influence on the industry and every female pop star that's followed since she ushered in a new cultural epoch, INCLUDING Janice.

And you, my friend, are trying way too hard.

tumblr_m0b976XNqN1qfuyfp.gif

Madonna chooses to hate on the talented individuals in the industry out of envy. She's got beef with Janet, Elton John, Cher, Lady Gaga, 50 Cent, Jennifer Lopez, Prince, Mariah Carey, etc. I would give Madonna the benefit of the doubt and chalk all these fights up to coincidence, but Madonna has admitted "I'm not the best singer and I know that I'm not the best dancer." Although she's clearly lacking in both departments, I do wonder if it's fair to hold fossils to such high standards.

Any indications that Madonna gives a shit about the aforementioned? No, yet all of the above have commented on Madonna on NUMEROUS occasions.

She has the career they wish they had. It must be hard for them to look at her and not be bitter and envious, just like Janice and Caca stans.

Not even sure how you could sit there and type about Madonna's shortcomings in a post that (really should be only) about JANICE.

That you'd go out of your way to make this all about Madonna is just the case in point.

tumblr_m0as5t7ecf1rqb9xco1_500.jpg

sooeyesex2-1tsk19.gif

This thread is peaking, ala Ray of Light.

P.S. Ray of Light was released 14 years ago today.

P.S.S. I was 5 when Ray of Light was released. I remember getting it for my 6th birthday. What kind of parents give their 6 year old son a Madonna album and then question his sexuality 14 years later?!

Cynosure

Girls, the Femme Fatale concert DVD is on Netflix instant stream.

I've never had so much second-hand embarrassment for a celebrity in my life. What a travesty. A lazy, stiff, soulless travesty. I'm very interested in knowing how many folks (Britney stans or otherwise) can defend her performances or make a claim for any redeeming qualities in it. It was just... unprofessional. I could never excuse someone who's charging money to watch her perform to deliver such a lowest-common-denominator kind of show. I don't give a shit what you went through years prior, when you're charging (and making) so much money and have all the resources that you do, you can give a little effort.

Also, take some goddamn yoga classes.

This shouldn't get lost in mix

OytWm.gif

Bitch fighting Stans, what you've just written is some of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent posts were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Nemesis_

Bitch fighting Stans, what you've just written is some of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent posts were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Best.

These arguments are hilarious.

So POP GAF, you made me check out some Marina and the Diamonds videos. I thought I never heard anything from her, until I saw the title "I am not a robot". Heeeey, I remember that song from a few years ago.

Anyway, I generally like her songs. It's all very joyful poppy music. But I'm having some trouble with her voice. It's a bit heavy and eh. :-/

SpiffyG

So POP GAF, you made me check out some Marina and the Diamonds videos. I thought I never heard anything from her, until I saw the title "I am not a robot". Heeeey, I remember that song from a few years ago.

Anyway, I generally like her songs. It's all very joyful poppy music. But I'm having some trouble with her voice. It's a bit heavy and eh. :-/
Yay! Her voice can be quite polarizing since it is so unique. I've never heard anyone sing quite like she does. Listen to her live, I think it's amazing some of the things she can do with that voice: Shampain, and a very recent one: Radioactive.

Mau ®

Oh wow... I've never seen a Janet stan in my life
ny15.gif

Nevertheless, lets all take a moment to bow at Rihanna's performance of Talk That Talk at Jonathan Ross's show

TALK THAT TALK TO ME YEAH

And she's currently shooting her video for her next #1 WW SMASH "Where Have You been". You bitches better be scared. Your favs absolutely dont have a chance against it.

I appreciate that she's trying to do more live performances. She doesn't have the best voice, and most of her songs are kinda hard to do live anyway with the multi-vocal tracks and the half-talking-half-singing. But in this video for example, I think it works well enough.

Mau ®

I appreciate that she's trying to do more live performances. She doesn't have the best voice, and most of her songs are kinda hard to do live anyway with the multi-vocal tracks and the half-talking-half-singing. But in this video for example, I think it works well enough.

Yes she's very hit-or-miss with her performances. But she did very good there. She enjoys the song a lot.

b3b0p

Essential? Start with these two:

Then try these two:

And when you're done with those, listen to these two:

My "essential" list:

Marina & the Diamonds - The Family Jewels
Ellie Goulding - Bright Lights
Florence + the Machine - Lungs
La Roux - La Roux
Little Boots - Hands
Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You
Nine Inch Nails - pretty hate machine
Coldplay - Prospekt's March EP or Mylo Xyloto

In no particular order...

Britney Spears- Blackout
Kelly Clarkson- Breakaway
Lady Gaga- The Fame Monster
Robyn- Body Talk
Janelle Monae- The ArchAndroid
Michael Jackson- Bad
M83- Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
Madonna- Confessions on a Dance Floor
Florence + the Machine- Lungs
Justin Timberlake- FutureSex/LoveSounds
M.I.A.- Kala
The xx- xx
Lykke Li- Wounded Rhymes
Kimbra- Vows
Mariah Carey- Daydream
Shania Twain- Come on Over
Backstreet Boys- Backstreet Boys

I'll agree with Moblin and crumpet's lists and toss in

The Wanted - Warzone
One Direction - Up All Night
For a modern Boyband experince. *Cue the groans at me*

Thanks guys! Some I have heard, but all the ones I have not I will give a listen.

Since I now ended up subscribing to Spotify, I like trying to find new and interesting albums I have never heard. It's worth every penny so far (premium).

This thread is peaking, ala Ray of Light.

P.S. Ray of Light was released 14 years ago today.

P.S.S. I was 5 when Ray of Light was released. I remember getting it for my 6th birthday. What kind of parents give their 6 year old son a Madonna album and then question his sexuality 14 years later?!

Shouldnt you be listening to kid music back then?

Mau ®

Britney Spears Q1 2012 Update:

There is no update.

SiFfF.gif

P.S. Well there is that X-factor rumor. She is in talks. Whether it happens or not we shall see.
J7hqx.gif

Boringney
brit11.gif

Christopher

Are there any male pop artists out there doing anything? I wanna see what Adam Lamberts next album produces, because I was a huge fan of the songs on his last one.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom