• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS sells 4.5 million in first year on sale in America

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
We're talking about games that were released by Nintendo for the eShop since the 3DS launch, here. Not DSiWare, and certainly not DSiWare released prior to March 2011.

If you look purely at original eShop titles, how many are there, 15? 20, perhaps? Including Virtual Console, I guess that number increases by another 15-20 or so. Added to the 87 listed by GameStop, "100+" seems a pretty reasonable estimate to me.

IGN article: http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/122/1220076p1.html

With a library of over 100 physical titles, the 3DS has sold 9 million games; the DS sold 5 million with 58 titles.
The eShop, which wasn't available in the DS's first year, has over 500 games available. Nintendo wouldn't provide sales statistics, but did mention that on average a consumer downloads five games or programs.

As I said earlier, that 500 figure is a lot more puzzling.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Yes, less than 200 in January.
It could (just could) be between 125 and 150 if I remember correctly.
So 250K for February could be a good increase.

That's right around when the new commercials featuring Mario Kart and Resident Evil hit. Makes sense.

Curufinwe

I know my wife is going to want a 3DS for Animal Crossing, so I hope the new and improved version of it is out by then.

Petrae

Looks like somewhere around a 47% spike over last month. February is typically stronger for sales given availability of tax refunds for potential disposable income.

Starfox was the only one I could possibly think of, apart from Ocarina of time, since I understand Pilotwings resort is not up to previous iterations' quality.

You understand incorrectly. Pilotwings Resort is an outstanding game that fell victim to all the "portable games should only cost a dollar, production values be damned!" BS that was being spread around the media during the 3DS's launch.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

No, the January sales have been around 170k.

So, has any major system in history sold worse in year 2 than year 1?
Do you mean "major" to just exclude things like Game.com and NGage? GameCube comes to mind.

Worldwide shipments for first two years:
GCN_WW

You can see the flatline there where production was stopped for a bit.

NPD, looking at ancient numbers November 2001-October 2002 was just a little higher than November 2002-October 2003. Though that second year period would have a few more weeks of actual sales, too.

Japan, using weekly numbers starting from launch, and starting from a year after launch:
fam

Road

Do you mean "major" to just exclude things like Game.com and NGage? GameCube comes to mind.

Worldwide shipments for first two years:
GCN_WW

You can see the flatline there where production was stopped for a bit.

NPD, looking at ancient numbers November 2001-October 2002 was just a little higher than November 2002-October 2003. Though that second year period would have a few more weeks of actual sales, too.

Japan, using weekly numbers starting from launch, and starting from a year after launch:
fam
The PSP sold more in 2005 with only 10 months (~3.6m) than in the entirety of 2006 (~3m). NPD.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Well, there 458 DSiWare titles alone.
Oh, wow. I guess the fact they seemingly added them little by little in the European eShop really skewed my perception about their number. I just did a search, and it looks like there are 378 DSiWare games in Europe now. My bad.

Orayn

The PSP sold more in 2005 with only 10 months (~3.6m) than in the entirety of 2006 (~3m). NPD.

PSP is just weird as hell. With a one year head start, it's sold more units than the 360, but there are so few "big" games on it, even compared to the DS.

olimpia84

Impressive numbers and 'comeback'. I'm glad it's doing well, I love my 3DS so here's hoping for many more amazing games coming.

What's scary is that Pokemon 3D hasn't even launched yet...

Good save by Nintendo. The whole price drop/ambassador program stuff was pretty ugly. Can't believe they thought that thing was worth $249. Now that they've been humbled, those same mistakes made with the 3DS shouldn't be made with the Wii U.

Sweeper17

Neo Member
I like the system but it feels very cheap compared to any PSP system. It's very flawed tho the screen is good everything else does not compare except maybe graphics. I perfer the simple use of a PSP IMO

Please, Nintendo. Put out a revision with a second stick, and I'll buy it, seriously.

Where are they going to fit the second stick? Battery is already limited as is. Unless you're talking about an XL version but that won't be happening for some time. The revision talk including another stick isn't happening. As others have said, this isn't the same situation as the DS > DS lite.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Where are they going to fit the second stick? Battery is already limited as is. Unless you're talking about an XL version but that won't be happening for some time. The revision talk including another stick isn't happening. As others have said, this isn't the same situation as the DS > DS lite.
Use magic, I don't care. I just want one.

I like the system but it feels very cheap compared to any PSP system. It's very flawed tho the screen is good everything else does not compare except maybe graphics. I perfer the simple use of a PSP IMO
Graphics are a maybe? :p

The 3DS shits all over the PSP graphically. Rightfully so, it came out six years later.

AniHawk

If you exclude the Virtual Boy, Nintendo has been dominating the handheld gaming market since 1989... 23 years now...

I'm still not exactly sure how they have managed to achieve this..
battery life, affordability, and portability for the first 22 years (and tetris and pokemon).

insane amounts cash thrown at the system for the most recent one.

hatchx

Banned
You understand incorrectly. Pilotwings Resort is an outstanding game that fell victim to all the "portable games should only cost a dollar, production values be damned!" BS that was being spread around the media during the 3DS's launch.

Dat Music!

And anyone thinking the 3DS redesign won't include a 2nd analog and extra shoulder buttons are crazy. It will act as if a CPP is built into the thing, and it also gives it the exact same controls scheme as Wii U.

I don't think consumers will be afraid of 4 shoulder buttons. They can always buy the 3DS instead of the 3DSxl. The xl won't replace the regular model, moreso a premium gamers version for premium price.

Dat Music!

And anyone thinking the 3DS redesign won't include a 2nd analog and extra shoulder buttons are crazy. It will act as if a CPP is built into the thing, and it also gives it the exact same controls scheme as Wii U.

I don't think consumers will be afraid of 4 shoulder buttons. They can always buy the 3DS instead of the 3DSxl. The xl won't replace the regular model, moreso a premium gamers version for premium price.

So how will it handle the shoulder button the frankenstick replaces? How will it interface? What about the ir port?
The frankenstick is a niche peripheral for the hardcore nothing more, i will eat several hats if the revision has it built in
With the original ds the xl wasnt a gamers version it was actually aimed at old people

Effect

Good save by Nintendo. The whole price drop/ambassador program stuff was pretty ugly. Can't believe they thought that thing was worth $249. Now that they've been humbled, those same mistakes made with the 3DS shouldn't be made with the Wii U.

That really is indeed one the if not the biggest positives out of the 3DS getting off to a rockier start then they'd have liked.

So how will it handle the shoulder button the frankenstick replaces? How will it interface? What about the ir port?
The frankenstick is a niche peripheral for the hardcore nothing more, i will eat several hats if the revision has it built in
With the original ds the xl wasnt a gamers version it was actually aimed at old people

I think it's a distinct possibility that it is likely they will include it. However, I think Nintendo will still force developers to make a control scheme for single stick users even if it is a shitty after thought. The only puzzling move is that they made the CCPro exclusive to Gamestop. You'd also think they would want the revision out the door as soon as possible so as to prevent a large split in userbase with single and dual stick users.

Bruno MB

Nov. 13, 2011: Super Mario 3D Land -- 1.75 million copies sold to date.

Dec. 4, 2011: Mario Kart 7 -- 1.45 million copies sold to date.

Very interesting figures.
A 3D Mario platformer title (even if its design is much more linear and compact than other 3D Mario games) is outselling a mighty Mario Kart game. No one saw that coming.

Code:
                                                                   Nintendo DS*     Nintendo 3DS**
                                                                   -------------    --------------
        Launch date                                                Nov. 21, 2004    March 27, 2011
        -------------------------------------------------------    -------------    --------------
        Total HW units sold in first 12 months                     2.3 million      4.5 million
        -------------------------------------------------------    -------------    --------------
        Total number of SW titles released in first 12 months      58               100+
        Total units of software sold in first 12 months            5 million        9 million+
        Total $ sales (HW, SW and accessory) in first 12 months    $540 million     $1.2 billion+

Really great and deserving sales. The only problem I have with this comparison is that I'm afraid Nintendo won't want to make it in future years. Mainly because DS in beast mode will make 3DS hypothetical good numbers look bad.

PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system is in another category.

There will never be such a dominating system, specially software-wise.

I think it's a distinct possibility that it is likely they will include it. However, I think Nintendo will still force developers to make a control scheme for single stick users even if it is a shitty after thought. The only puzzling move is that they made the CCPro exclusive to Gamestop. You'd also think they would want the revision out the door as soon as possible so as to prevent a large split in userbase with single and dual stick users.

Making the frankenstick gamestop exclusive in the US is just more conformation its a niche peripheral

Truth101

Banned
Very interesting figures. A 3D Mario platformer title (even if its design is much more linear and compact than other 3D Mario games) is outselling a mighty Mario Kart game. No one saw that coming.

MK7 was released in December, SM3DL was not.

The only problem with all the "SECOND STICK 3DSi LOL" argument is; current games that utilise the CPP work strictly through Infrared connection.

They'd either have to patch all those titles or have an internal infrared sensor, which would be fucking stupid.

Top Bottom