• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS sells 4.5 million in first year on sale in America

Great for Nintendo, maybe they didn't deserve it yet, but we have new Layton coming this year, and Layton > All, so it's all good.

E3 is going to be glorious.

donny2112

Plagiarize and Vinci are the guys that think the post office should raise stamp prices to counteract low sales.

I thought they should've raised it to 50 cents several years ago, so they could just leave it there for a long time. Repeating price increases were very annoying. Best to charge a good price and leave it there, so the consumer sort of forgets what it costs over time. Changing the price continually brings more attention to it. Post Office sort of handled this with Forever stamps, so it's not as big a deal now. However, the Post Office is now losing money, closing lots of facilities, and may even stop delivering on Saturdays as an extreme cost-saving measure. They might've been better changing the price to 50 cents several years ago and just staying there for a long time. *shrugs*

Orayn

Ooooh, I like your scenario.

People are quick to forget that the SNES lived and died in an earlier era of "doomed Nintendo" due to selling less than its predecessor, a mounting threat from the Genesis/Mega Drive, and the rise of Sony. Still turned out pretty well for Nintendo, and GREAT for us.

matmanx1

Great numbers for the 3DS and Nintendo. I love my little 3DS but am still a bit disappointed with the year 1 software for North America. It's telling when my Activity Log shows my longest played games are 999 (DS game) and Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (GBA Ambassador game).

I own Tales of the Abyss 3DS and will be diving into that once I finish Fire Emblem but most of the stuff that I actually want to play on the 3DS either still isn't out or hasn't left Japan. I'm talking about Monster Hunter, Senran Kagura (don't judge me) Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Rocket Slime 3, Fire Emblem 3DS, Kingdom Hearts, Animal Crossing and Princess Crown. I still hate the region locking on this thing and am still considering picking up a J-3DS but I realize if I can be patient this year most of my wishlist will be released in the US.

Still, it's a great start for Nintendo. I just hope NOA doesn't shortchange us.

dFzes.png

Bravo!

What's this supposed to be, perhaps a cross-breeding between Iwata and Reggie?

Well, I think if Nintendo wants to keep the 3DS being successful, it really will have to step up to the plate to continue pumping software.

Outside of Mario 3DLand and MK7, what sort of "evergreen" titles does the system have?

Are there any third party offerings that are must haves outside of RE: Revelations?

I am getting one this year - but I am just concerned it might be a Wii like situation - where there were really strong offerings in the beginning but then the system just kinda died halfway through :eek:

Well, I think if Nintendo wants to keep the 3DS being successful, it really will have to step up to the plate to continue pumping software.

Outside of Mario 3DLand and MK7, what sort of "evergreen" titles does the system have?

Are there any third party offerings that are must haves outside of RE: Revelations?

I am getting one this year - but I am just concerned it might be a Wii like situation - where there were really strong offerings in the beginning but then the system just kinda died halfway through :eek:
nintendogs and cats had some nice off-chart growth in Japan at least selling most of its ~500k sales without appearing in the top 10 more than once.

It's the natural human response to this news: the face one makes when one's handheld is printing money.

I mean, it seems to me as though it's Reggie's face photoshopped with Iwata's eyes and glasses, I was asking for confirmation it was a retouched picture.

Vinci

Danish
I thought they should've raised it to 50 cents several years ago, so they could just leave it there for a long time. Repeating price increases were very annoying. Best to charge a good price and leave it there, so the consumer sort of forgets what it costs over time. Changing the price continually brings more attention to it. Post Office sort of handled this with Forever stamps, so it's not as big a deal now. However, the Post Office is now losing money, closing lots of facilities, and may even stop delivering on Saturdays as an extreme cost-saving measure. They might've been better changing the price to 50 cents several years ago and just staying there for a long time. *shrugs*

Seems like its cost structure is basically a nightmare from hell to deal with, nevermind the weakened need for the Post Office with the rise of email and Facebook and the multitude of other ways that people use to keep in touch. Eventually it won't be used for correspondence purposes at all. That's a reality it has to prepare for: What is the Post Office's function once you take correspondence out?

There are options. But I don't think a raise in stamp prices is necessarily the most forward-thinking one, though your point of raising the prices years ago seems reasonable.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english

A 2D Mario is coming out soon. What else could one ask for?

Kidding aside, the 3DS is shaping up to be like the DS software wise and them some because of it's recent success, so I'm not to worried about it getting excellent software support in the long-term.

I need to keep these on copy and paste...

Animal Crossing 3D
Luigi's Mansion 2
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Paper Mario 3D
Smash Bros 3D
New Super Mario Bros 3D
Mario Tennis Open
Fire Emblem

Then for third party you've got...

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
Final Fantasy Theatrhythm
Tales of the Abyss
Cave Story 3D
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater
Rayman Origins
Bit.Trip Saga
Monster Hunter Tri G
Monster Hunter 4
Etrian Odyssey
Conduit 3DS
Bravely Default
Untitled Capcom/Sega/Namco-Bandai Crossover
More Resident Evil (Producer has said he wants to do more)
Time Travellers
Tekken 3D
The Amazing Spiderman (hope for free-roaming)
Street Fighter IV 3D
Sonic Generations
Shinobi
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3D
Rhythm Thief
Chocobo Racing 3D

And more to be announced at E3 and throughout the year, I imagine.

jonno394

I need to keep these on copy and paste...

Animal Crossing 3D
Luigi's Mansion 2
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Paper Mario 3D
Smash Bros 3D
New Super Mario Bros 3D
Mario Tennis Open
Fire Emblem

Then for third party you've got...

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
Final Fantasy Theatrhythm

Tales of the Abyss
Cave Story 3D
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater
Rayman Origins
Bit.Trip Saga
Monster Hunter Tri G
Monster Hunter 4

Etrian Odyssey
Conduit 3DS
Bravely Default
Untitled Capcom/Sega/Namco-Bandai Crossover
More Resident Evil (Producer has said he wants to do more)
Time Travellers
Tekken 3D
The Amazing Spiderman (hope for free-roaming)
Street Fighter IV 3D
Sonic Generations
Shinobi
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3D
Rhythm Thief
Chocobo Racing 3D

And more to be announced at E3 and throughout the year, I imagine.

These are all buys for me in 2012 (well MH4 and new Resi probably won't be), and that's without homeconsole buys....hell this is going to be my most gamerific year in like a decade.

December = 1.6m (Nintendo: Crossed 4m)
January = 250k (Nintendo: Crossed 4.25m)
February = 250k (Nintendo: Crossed 4.5m)

Technically they have only counted 11 months.

These are all buys for me in 2012, and that's without homeconsole buys....hell this is going to be my most gamerific year in like a decade.

Note that not all of those are guaranteed to come out this year, particularly Animal Crossing and Smash. But they are definetely coming.

angelfly

Good to see 3DS healthy in NA. Considering the lineup going forward, it's not going to be slowing down anytime soon. Also hope we see some EU numbers which I expect to be at least 4 million.

Yeah I edited for Resi and MH4, but forgot about Smash. I do hope for a christmas Animal Crossing release though.

That would be ideal. And it's happened before, had almost no info about City Folk, then it was announced at E3 2008 and came out the following Christmas.

Luigi's Mansion 2 is going to be a Hallo'ween release. Mark my words.

Ocarina of time, Starfox.

As for now in Western countries not many must-have games methinks - although I understand Pushmo is very good indeed - but I gather the situation is going to improve shortly.

hatchx

Banned
The only thing I don't understand is the 100 titles available.

Is counting every VC release really a fair assessment?

jonno394

That would be ideal. And it's happened before, had almost no info about City Folk, then it was announced at E3 2008 and came out the following Christmas.

Luigi's Mansion 2 is going to be a Hallo'ween release. Mark my words.

Probably my most anticipated game of this year, the original was one of myfavourite gamecube games. October spookfest would be amazing.

I'm expecting a lot of third party reveals at E3, which mean there could be a ridiculous amount of top quality games to buy this year......it's a good job I don't have a wallet because it would be crying by now lol.

Probably my most anticipated game of this year, the original was one of myfavourite gamecube games. October spookfest would be amazing.

I'm expecting a lot of third party reveals at E3, which mean there could be a ridiculous amount of top quality games to buy this year......it's a good job I don't have a wallet because it would be crying by now lol.

Yeah I'm already going to be a few hundred down from the stuff already announced.

Luigi's Mansion 2, Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, Fire Emblem, Metal Gear. And that's BEFORE E3 when 3rd parties will no doubt announce all kinds of shit for the fastest selling handheld ever.

Wow. That was a rough start for the DS.

It was indeed, which is why I wondered back when people were proclaiming doom upon the 3DS if anybody doing so was above the age of 7. Because surely they'd remember that the DS was a "dying machine" for it's first year?

Hyuga

Banned
If the numbers were not so good you would have an argument but the numbers do not lie. 5 mil in Japan and 4.5 mil in NA in 1 year is damn impressive.
Yeah, I knew it would start selling after the drastic price reduction to 169$ + paying Capcom for MH ;)
No matter what: Over 10 Mio. units in 1 year is damn good.

As it stands, the 3DS just isn't pleasant hardware to use especially after buying a Vita. It's small, the screens are poor, and it's not comfortable to use.
playing the vita at gamestop, i'm the opposite. The face buttons on vita are too small. The analog sticks feel uncomfortable. It caused some hand-cramps in only a few minutes of play. A larger screen would be nice, but vita's current form is not the shining example of what I want.

Plagiarize and Vinci are the guys that think the post office should raise stamp prices to counteract low sales.

Boggle.

That doesn't logically follow from anything I said. Not even remotely. Reeks of a strawman infact.

If the Wii isn't the best example of underpricing from recent history i'd love to hear what you think underpricing means.

Similarly, if the stalling sales of the 3ds being undone by a price drop isn't direct confirmation that pre price drop the system was overpriced then I'd like to know what is.

We can all have our own personal opinions on the relative values of anything, but the sales figures (and prices in the secondary markets) show that the Wii was underpriced at launch and that the 3DS was overpriced at launch.

It isn't opinion anymore. I thought they could have gone more expensive with the 3DS at launch. Obviously i was woefully wrong in that prediction.

The Wii was sold out for two years at $250 and was sold for more than that on eBay for that entire stretch. Demand vastly outstripped supply and people were regularly paying more than rrp for the system to get one.

underpriced. Factually.

guek

Banned
playing the vita at gamestop, i'm the opposite. The face buttons on vita are too small. The analog sticks feel uncomfortable. It caused some hand-cramps in only a few minutes of play. A larger screen would be nice, but vita's current form is not the shining example of what I want.

I tend to agree. I played around with a vita for around 45 minutes and found all of its inputs aside from the d-pad to be atrocious. Buttons feel too small, stick placement is terrible, sticks themselves are god awful and are awkward to use. Screen was nice though.

But that just goes to show that opinions vary. Some people think it feels like sex in their hands. Even though the 3DS is prone to causing slight hand cramps, I find its inputs much more comfortable. I do have small hands though.

Top Bottom