• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS sells 4.5 million in first year on sale in America

nickcv

3DSMoney.gif

OT:
can we please ban photobucket?

Road

Can we extrapolate numbers from here to have an idea of how 3DS sold last months?
Seems easily over 200k in February, mixing the Nintendo information with the limited NPD information.

The problem is, even if it's a good number, with this PR already released, I'm not sure Nintendo will put out another one for the NPD numbers, so we'll probably have to wait to see if someone else will give us the monthly figure.

Pachter: "Nintendo is in complete disarray. They have no idea what they are doing, and should have followed my advice that the 3DS was priced far too low."

m.i.s.

Banned
This. People seem to have forgotten the criticism Nintendo received for under-pricing the Wii - it was constantly selling out, and (the theory went) would have gotten just as many sales at a higher price point. Nintendo was leaving money on the table. With all the excitement over the 3ds when it was first publicly shown, Nintendo didn't want to make that mistake again.

Criticism came largely from a tiny investment circle. The same investment circle that predicted Wii would be a GCN mark two and PS3 the new PS2.

I don't think Wii was under priced btw - Nintendo just didn't produce enough of them to satisfy demand.

Truth101

Banned
Criticism came largely from a tiny investment circle. The same investment circle that predicted Wii would be a GCN mark two and PS3 the new PS2.

I don't think Wii was under priced - Nintendo just didn't produce enough of them to satisfy demand.

That is what happens to an under-priced product...

That's not dispositive, however. Demand is psychological, and having the wii so hard to find could have made it more desirable.

And a higher price would have countered that. The Wii was underpriced. Factually.

Similarly, the 3DS was overpriced before the price drop. Factually.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The 3D remake of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time has sold 900,000 units

http://ds.ign.com/articles/122/1220076p1.html

Moffitt stated that while Nintendo certainly anticipates and expects more support from Western developers in the coming months, his company's focus remains on widening the base of support for the 3DS - by selling as many systems as possible. Indeed, the bigger the install base, the more enticing a system will become to all publishers, effectively making the argument for 3DS development for Nintendo. Moffitt also pointed out that the success of a title like Revelations will encourage other developers down the line.

...YEAH! Hoping there's some truth behind this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
3DS lite?! Actually I reckon it's already quite tiny as it is, as far as I'm concerned I could do with a 3DSXL with larger screens, better batteries and a second analog.
Yeah, a 3DSXL would be an awesome device.

As it stands, the 3DS just isn't pleasant hardware to use especially after buying a Vita. It's small, the screens are poor, and it's not comfortable to use. A larger, more comfortable unit with an increase in screen size and quality would be just wonderful. I'm hoping they can further improve on the lenticular 3D to allow for a wider viewing area and reduction of cross talk.

I do like the system, but I feel that the hardware is just shy of where it needs to be. For 3D, I don't think the hardware is quite as capable as it should be as framerates across the board have been much lower than they were on DS. That won't change, but there is still plenty of room for improvement.

Nintendo HAS consistently improved the quality of their hardware over time (with each iteration of the DS improving upon the previous) so I have some faith here.

Yeah, it sold better in the first year, but Nintendo hasn't had any blue ocean titles.

I think the 3DS will run out of steam faster than the DS.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So despite the infinite Nintendo doom cycle, and despite iOS having "stolen Nintendo's market" the 3DS has been approximately twice as successful as the DS within the same time frame in North America?

LOL death of handhelds.

Yeah, it sold better in the first year, but Nintendo hasn't had any blue ocean titles.

The thing is, the "death of handhelds" cult has been harping that ALL markets for portable devices have been consumed by iOS and tablets, not just so-called casual games.

It is probably true that iOS has eaten a lot of the Brain Training audience, but then, Nintendo has been making a hard push to capture the core gamer with 3DS so far, or at least it appears that way.

People will still probably call the 3DS a "complete failure" if it only sold 70 million units instead of 140+ due to the blue ocean being elsewhere now. If only everyone could fail like that!

It seems the 3DS and Vita both are battling to prove there's still a core market for handheld gaming devices.

Vinci

Danish

Entirely possible. In fact, that's a view I somewhat share. However, the question is whether the 3DS is meant to act as a blue ocean product. Keep in mind that the DS already expanded Nintendo's game-purchasing audience significantly. This could very well be more of a sustaining product, meant to sell to the same folks (plus the PSP's).

And yes, you're free to question whether people will upgrade from the DS to the 3DS, but at this price Nintendo has given them little reason not to. Still, it's something to keep an eye on.

Orayn

Entirely possible. In fact, that's a view I somewhat share. However, the question is whether the 3DS is meant to act as a blue ocean product. Keep in mind that the DS already expanded Nintendo's game-purchasing audience significantly. This could very well be more of a sustaining product, meant to sell to the same folks (plus the PSP's).

And yes, you're free to question whether people will upgrade from the DS to the 3DS, but at this price Nintendo has given them little reason not to. Still, it's something to keep an eye on.

In other words, it's the Super Nintendo to the DS's NES.

Ladies and gentlemen, prepare yourselves for GAMES!

And a higher price would have countered that. The Wii was underpriced. Factually.

Similarly, the 3DS was overpriced before the price drop. Factually.

Having a higher price would have made it less desirable? Cool. Otherwise, your Econ 101 supply and demand shit is pedantic. "That's factual."

I like how we have no idea what so ever Nintendo has planned for this holiday season.

We definitely know what they have coming. It's more of a question of when rather than what at this point. Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Animal Crossing, and a 2D Mario Platformer. That would be more than enough for any console, but there are a lot of additional games along with those bigger hitters.

I think if the 3DS can reach to the same market as the GBA it will still be considered a success. I don't think many people are expecting the same results as the DS after Lite dropped. It would be something very hard to duplicate as a number of factors all played into that burst.

In other words, it's the Super Nintendo to the DS's NES.

Ladies and gentlemen, prepare yourselves for GAMES!

I always said the DS was closest to SNES in terms of amazing library, and if the 3DS is already doubling those sales the system's library could be completely ridiculous.

Vinci

Danish
Having a higher price would have made it less desirable? Cool. Otherwise, your Econ 101 supply and demand shit is pedantic. "That's factual."

Generally speaking, the quantity demanded of a good at a higher price is less than at a lower price. I mean, unless you know something about the Wii that we don't that would somehow have it showcase something other than a downward sloping demand curve?

I think if the 3DS can reach to the same market as the GBA it will still be considered a success. I don't think many people are expecting the same results as the DS after Lite dropped. It would be something very hard to duplicate as a number of factors all played into that burst.

Nintendo would not consider that a success. And neither would I.

Somnid

I think it actually has a chance depending on how much of Sony's market it eats. Competition at least right now isn't very stiff like it was in the early DS years.

donny2112

I thought we did already.

Haven't seen anything about Photobucket being banned. The FAQ forum just says that you're responsible if you hotlink and the image changes to something else. I think tinypic used to be banned (gold frog), but that wasn't mentioned, either. Hmmm.

Vinci

Danish
Plagiarize and Vinci are the guys that think the post office should raise stamp prices to counteract low sales.

Depends on whether that would help or not. It's not quite that simple, and stamps have very little to do with video game consoles.

We're speaking simply on a subject that in fact has many layers, but what we're saying is generally true: With higher prices comes a lower quantity demanded of the good. There are cases in which that doesn't happen, but the Wii doesn't appear to reflect any of those options.

Top Bottom