• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS sells 4.5 million in first year on sale in America

Kazerei

Banned
I forgot that the DS got off to such a slow start. It turned into a beast when the Lite hit though. Anyways the 3DS is shaping up to be a worthy successor. Good jorb, Nintendo.

Truth101

Banned
I think it's quite a given, should it have a good-quality line-up for 2012; in fact I gather it may top 25 mlls by the end of the year, whereas 30 mills is a little far-fetched methinks.

Fiscal year or calender year?

Depends on if MH4 and 2D Mario launch this fiscal year.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Well it already has Brain Training 3D, Tomodachi Collection 2, Animal Crossing, and supposedly a NSMB/2D Mario. This is just Nintendo. MH4 is not needed for the 3DS to have a monstrous year in Japan.

Truth101

Banned
Mario will for sure.
MH4 maybe not.
Though, a Best version of MH3G will.

I could see a best version of MH3G launching in the summer while MH4 takes the holiday.

They were both being developed concurrently, so MH4 should be pretty far along right now. I guess it just depends on if Capcom decides they need the revenue for this fiscal year or the next, also if missing the holiday season is worth it.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom released a best version with an exclusive demo of MH4.

Well it already has Brain Training 3D, Tomodachi Collection 2, Animal Crossing, and supposedly a NSMB/2D Mario. This is just Nintendo. MH4 is not needed for the 3DS to have a monstrous year in Japan.

That is true, as I said it will probably depend on which fiscal year Capcom wants it released in.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Nintendo is still owning in the handheld market as usual.
I didn't aspect it to sell more units then the DS did in the first year.
Let's see it they will repeat this feat in Year 2, which coincide the coming of the DS Lite and NSMB.

It depends much upon what Nintendo and third parties have got in their pipeline for Q3 and Q4 2012; supposedly a 2D Mario alone may sell hugely both in Japan and the rest of the world, so all things being considered I reckon 20 mills worldwide should be pretty much a safe bet anyway, unless it had to stop selling altogetger.

Effect

I'll admit it... I'm surprised. Personally, I actually know more people with Vitas that 3DSs... But hats off to Nintendo; they know how to move systems.

lol Ya, that made me double-take too... It doesn't seem like we have that many 3DS titles here... They must be counting Nintendo Network games for 3DS including the Ambassador Program releases...

Same. I stopped and tried to do a quick count and search. They must be counting Virtual Console and 3DS only downloadables (they need to come up with a better name for this) titles. Even then I wonder if that matches that 100+ number. They might be counting DSiWare since it's apart of the eShop and still getting releases.

HylianTom

Banned
Nice. 3DS is going to be a big moneymaker for Nintendo..
I fully expect to see plenty of "3DS Rules!"-type stories in the gaming press now, sorta mirroring the premature doomfest they had last year..

(hahahahaha.. right..)

jonno394

You mean (not) selling it for 249$ with an horrible launch lineup + a drastic price reduction to 169$ months later?
Yeah, guess you're right ;)

Or deciding to sell as many as they could at $249 to suckers before dropping it to the lower price to hit the mainstream.

It seems to have worked out ok for them.

zroid

Banned
Has it ever been the case before where a system's first full year of sales in Japan have been greater than in North America?

NINTENDOOMED to Vita

How does this compare to the DS's first year? I like how we have no idea what so ever Nintendo has planned for this holiday season.

liger05

You mean (not) selling it for 249$ with an horrible launch lineup + a drastic price reduction to 169$ months later?
Yeah, guess you're right ;)

If the numbers were not so good you would have an argument but the numbers do not lie. 5 mil in Japan and 4.5 mil in NA in 1 year is damn impressive.

lefantome

Next time they should sell the console for free, so they can even reach 20 millions in a year.

remember that every 3ds sold is a loss for Nintendo.

Lausebub

Banned
Did their stock drop already?

Also, we need Pachter.

Congratulations anyway, the handheld is a lot better than people think it and it it actually has GAMES.

Has it ever been the case before where a system's first full year of sales in Japan have been greater than in North America?

I suppose Japan usually moves bigger numbers than U.S., at least as far as handhelds are concerned, so I don't think it's something unprecedented.

Orayn

Next time they should sell the console for free, so they can even reach 20 millions in a year.

Remember that ignoring all the software sales and the attach rate makes you look like a dummy.

Vic

NINTENDOOMED to Vita

How does this compare to the DS's first year? I like how we have no idea what so ever Nintendo has planned for this holiday season.
That's how it was in the DS days. Some holiday titles were announced at the E3 preceding the shopping season.

Vic

Thanks to the way it's selling now (in high quantities), dropping the manufacturing costs will be much easier that if it sold in small quantities.

massoluk

Banned

Oh man, if only they have some accessories and software sales to make up for it and make them profitable in the last few quarters after the price drop happened.

Pociask

Or deciding to sell as many as they could at $249 to suckers before dropping it to the lower price to hit the mainstream.

It seems to have worked out ok for them.

This. People seem to have forgotten the criticism Nintendo received for under-pricing the Wii - it was constantly selling out, and (the theory went) would have gotten just as many sales at a higher price point. Nintendo was leaving money on the table. With all the excitement over the 3ds when it was first publicly shown, Nintendo didn't want to make that mistake again.

Of course, they ran into the problem with the theory - because the 3ds wasn't as exciting to the public as the Wii, the public didn't value the 3ds as highly, it didn't sell out constantly, and ended up making the system itself look weak. Nintendo was able to quickly correct, but it's impossible to tell how much(if at all!) they damaged the brand in the mean time. Not knowing that, it's hard to say if it was worth the extra money they scooped up from eager over adopters(it helps that they were mostly able to placate the early adopters by bestowing on them a meaningless title and giving them decades old roms).

Orayn

3DS lite?! Actually I reckon it's already quite tiny as it is, as far as I'm concerned I could do with a 3DSXL with larger screens, better batteries and second analog.

Which is really the only way you're getting any of those things. People don't realize that there's no room to include the features of the Circle Pad Pro and keep the same form factor.

Top Bottom