• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed Primadonna follows the same structure as Hold It Against Me. A hard hitting verse, subdued chorus, second verse and chorus add a few more bells and whistles to the beat, and the last chorus merges with the beat of the verses. Only thing missing is a breakdown during the bridge.

Probably why I like Primadonna so much, but I can't help but think less of Dr Luke for being so repetitive.

Good ear!

But I'm willing to give Luke a pass on this, considering the structure is very unusual. I wouldn't say it's repetitive when there's only 2 songs around with that song structure, while there are million others that follow more conventional patterns.

Kyon

Banned
^^^ if you start up a conversation aboye music i garuntee you we will cooperate. We dont Just talk aboye stanning.

EDIT: FERGIE IS COMING BACK.... MY HEART.... CANT

Mumei

I had thought about making one of these for Kelly or Beyonce, but I really don't know them as well... and I'm really not as interested.

As promised:

Mariah Carey
iAfubnXsWHKEe.gif

Videos
High Notes (Whistle)
High Notes (Head / Falsetto)
High Notes (Modal)
Low Notes
ibbQ2uByACJ5vC.gif

Koodo

Banned
I had thought about making one of these for Kelly or Beyonce, but I really don't know them as well... and I'm really not as interested.
t2AAm.gif

Messiah was heavenly in the Tokyo Dome.

Kind of upset though. I keep signing up for the newsletter on her site with my email for the acoustic version of 'Radioactive' and it keeps sending me a link to get 'Homewrecker.' I want that acoustic song, damnit! And like any of her songs, I enjoy 'Homewrecker' a lot. But all it's doing right now is making me want to drive an hour to Moe's and get a Homewrecker burrito.
You're waiting to get the Radioactive acoustic version for free, or for the song to come out? Because it's on iTunes in the Radioactive EP.

Mumei

t2AAm.gif

Messiah was heavenly in the Tokyo Dome.

I actually started it with Beyonce, but I just lost interest and ended up expanding Whitney / Mariah instea. They just don't have as much and they just don't do it quite as well (though I still love Kelly in particular) for me.

You think an album from Rihanus is threatening?

YxDfv.gif

Oh, Rihanna.

She sort of reminds me of 90's Mariah, except without album sales or talent.
7h3Ht.gif

On second thought, she doesn't remind me of her at all.

Sai-kun

Banned
I came to GAF and searched for her to see if there was a thread created for 'Primadonna' leaking/releasing. I kind of want to create a thread for the album when it drops (unless someone else has called it or if everyone thinks it's a dumb idea). She's my favorite pop artist and I don't want her to remain only in the Pop thread. Like any group on here, PopGAF can be a bit hard to get into.

You, SpiffyG, and I need to talk.

The Sun (a UK tabloid) has a glowing little piece about teenage Adele complete with some neat pre-fame pics:

DRWX9.jpg

ultVm.jpg

Their stanning is pretty fantastic at times; this is about her smoking at age 16:

SINGER Adele larks about with a ciggy — and looks determined to become a smokin' hot superstar.

And our exclusive pictures show the Someone Like You and Rolling In The Deep star had the confidence to go all the way even as a 16-year-old schoolgirl.

SpiffyG

Wow, 'Primadonna' is amazing. Every now and then I check the net to see if she has any new singles or anything and what do you know? I check today and something just got released in the past week. Can't wait for the album. I haven't bought a CD the day it came out since I don't know when, but this will be mine.

Kind of upset though. I keep signing up for the newsletter on her site with my email for the acoustic version of 'Radioactive' and it keeps sending me a link to get 'Homewrecker.' I want that acoustic song, damnit! And like any of her songs, I enjoy 'Homewrecker' a lot. But all it's doing right now is making me want to drive an hour to Moe's and get a Homewrecker burrito.

I came to GAF and searched for her to see if there was a thread created for 'Primadonna' leaking/releasing. I kind of want to create a thread for the album when it drops (unless someone else has called it or if everyone thinks it's a dumb idea). She's my favorite pop artist and I don't want her to remain only in the Pop thread. Like any group on here, PopGAF can be a bit hard to get into. Every now and then I try to join in on the music show threads, like American Idol, but it always seems like the talk is about "stans" and what dude is the hottest.
I think it's a great idea, and no, no one has called it. I probably would have made it but not really sure how many people would be interested. lol. err... But I can help. Check your PMs.

Mumei

I'm too lazy to counter/supplement Mumei's fabulous megaposts, but here's this video.

I personally wouldn't count that F7 (talking / exclamations =! singing range). And I seem to remember a video in which the C6 belt wasn't actually a C6. In any case, Bb5/B5 belt is ridiculously impressive as is.

However! That video (which I haven't seen before) does have a couple of favorites by her:

- E5 head voice shutting Fantasia's screeching up
- G5 belt drowning out Fantasia's screeching
- A5 & G#5 belts on The Trouble With Love Is
- Bb5 head voice on Ave Maria
- C#5s on Star Spangled Banner
- G#5s on Miss Independent at AOL sessions
- F#6 Natural Woman, naturally of course

Though I'm really not all that familiar with particular post-Idol concerts of hers (which is the main reason I didn't do it; that and it just seems like Mariah / Whitney have more variety in how they hit the notes and that makes it more interesting in the long run for me), and this had quite a few from those that were just as impressive (12:16!). Her technique has definitely improved a lot since her Idol days; it reminds me of this segment on one of those vocal videos. Definitely much better.

EYEL1NER

Well, the Marina thread will be well taken care of it seems.
And thanks for the help with Radioactive guys!

You're waiting to get the Radioactive acoustic version for free, or for the song to come out? Because it's on iTunes in the Radioactive EP.
Well, at this link it says to enter your email and country to get an acoustic download of Radioactive. On the main page of Marina's site, there is the same option to get a copy of Homewrecker. I kept entering my info for Radioactive and the link in the email kicked back to me would always be for a Homewrecker download.

I'm set now though, but it was frustrating that it was not sending me what it told me it would! And thanks for the heads up on iTunes. I checked there briefly but didn't see anything post-Family Jewels. I'll check again though and probably throw some money her way for the stuff I don't already own.

royalan

Any Pop Gaffers into New Orleans Bounce?

The genre has been bubbling under the surface for a while now (and mostly ridiculed). I LOVE the stuff, not gonna lie.

And now that Diplo's hopped onto the genre for his latest single I feel that Bounce is about to go primetime. "Express Yourself"

(I have been popping my pussy to this track ALL DAY.)

But I don't know how to label New Orleans Bounce. I almost posted this in the Hip Hop thread, but I hesitate to label it pure Hip Hop. It's too dancy.

But it's a little too hard-edged for straight-up Pop, although I feel it's a natural evolution to the big, Euro-style Dance Pop that's been dominant for the past few years. Express Yourself almost sounds like a harder, dubstep-infused version of Rihanna's "We Found Love".

What say you, Pop Gaf? Any Bounce fans in here?

royalan

I've never heard of it.

Link me to something you think I might like?

It's a style of music from the New Orleans dance scene primarily comprised of repetitive and infectious beats and lyrics...usually spit by sassy black femcees and queens. Notorious for taking otherwise rational people and forcing them into fits of twerking, pussy popping, shaking it "like a donkey," and dropping it as though it were hot. The culture behind the sound is almost more intriguing than the music, and has strong ties to the gay community in those areas, so I'm glad to see it on the verge of getting some series attention on the world stage.

There's the song I linked to, produced by Diplo: Express Yourself. A more contemporary take on the sound with some more dancey elements infused (which is what confused me about how to label it).

Then there's the more "traditional" New Orleans Bounce that Crumpet linked to. As well as this, one of my personal favorites. These are more obviously Hip-Hop related.

Special mention to Big Freedia: "Excuse".

i honestly have no idea how it'll be received.

but its definitely hip hop.
i mean it was the predecessor to cash money & no limit.
(to name a few artists)

True.

Is this New Orleans Bounce?

Because I've been twerking to this for a few months now
3b9ed532.gif

Yep...
*twerks*

OK I have got to stop playing these New Orleans Bounce vids. Shit's scaring my huskies.

You sure they weren't trying to pop it? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom