• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Blu-Ray transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
What does that mean? That's not being snarky by the way, I actually want to know.

There are those who believe the coloring and lighting errors present on old film prints of Alien and Aliens are somehow superior to the cleaned up versions on the Blu-Rays.

What does that mean? That's not being snarky by the way, I actually want to know.

I watched Tree of Life on bluray today, that's one of the best I've seen, maybe the best non-animation.

I don't know why TAJ thinks Alien is unfaithful. Aliens has the Cameron Blue tint over it now, which imo looks fantastic.

rrVBg.jpg

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I don't know why TAJ thinks Alien is unfaithful. Aliens has the Cameron Blue tint over it now, which imo looks fantastic.

It used to have a lot of scenes that were blue. Now almost every frame is teal.
Alien is also teal/orange now.
Fellowship of the Rings takes 2011 coloring timing, and throws in shots that look like you're viewing them through sunglasses for good measure.

It used to have a lot of scenes that were blue. Now every frame is teal.

I haven't actually had my rewatch of Aliens on blu yet. Only done the quick disc pop in to check out the transfer and it looked pretty great. Waiting for my flatmate who has never seen it.

Will watch in the next week and judge.

The only revision Cameron has done that I haven't liked is the recolouring of Avatar from the theatre release to the home release - where they took the greenish-blue OUT of the film.

JB1981

They suck. They're both extremely unfaithful to the original looks of the films.
Fellowship of the Rings extended edition makes me gag for the same reason

Some of the color timing changes have been pretty extreme on blu-ray. Fellowship of the Ring certainly looks drastically different than it did at release. It kind of annoys me too but it's better than nothing.

As for Aliens, Cameron was never happy with the way the movie looked and I think the new transfer is out of this world amazing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on Blu-ray. Puts all film-based transfers to shame but I can't say if it's better or not than The Social Network. It's a newer camera but I couldn't see a noticeably improvement, then again I never noticed any "banding" or flaws with TSN, so to me, both movies have perfect transfers. And I guess you can't improve on perfection.

LX2jg.jpg

F1c0d.jpg

vQZJg.jpg

I would agree with some of the posters here that BARAKA is not always the best looking, but so many great scenes.

Also, If your going to be showing off your system its great to pop in and do other stuff.

Or something you can watch with friends over, Easy to talk-over without having to worry about missing the plot etc.

Draconian

I haven't actually had my rewatch of Aliens on blu yet. Only done the quick disc pop in to check out the transfer and it looked pretty great. Waiting for my flatmate who has never seen it.

Will watch in the next week and judge.

The only revision Cameron has done that I haven't liked is the recolouring of Avatar from the theatre release to the home release - where they took the greenish-blue OUT of the film.

I watched it the other night in Blu-Ray for the first time. A pretty amazing transfer if you ask me. Really enjoyed the Director's Cut too (first time seeing it as well).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I really wish I still had a Kuro :(

Why did mine have to break......

My Sony HXH929 is pretty good but the black levels are still not near the Kuro's blackhole esque blacks. I really should get the HX929 fixed like I was supposed to because of really bad clouding, but I've been really busy.

I rented The Fifth Element blu ray just to see what it looked like and it was garbage. I couldn't believe it was a bluray so I popped the disc out to make sure.

JB1981

I rented The Fifth Element blu ray just to see what it looked like and it was garbage. I couldn't believe it was a bluray so I popped the disc out to make sure.

There are a couple different versions of Fifth Element on blu. One is supposed to be better than the other, don't know which though.

NekoFever

I hope I got the crappy version. So, so bad.
Yeah, they did a complete reissue. It's an improvement but still nothing mind-blowing. The best version available is actually the one released in Scandinavia.

Naturally. What's the benefit?
Future proofing, ironically. Warner's been making 8K (8192x4320) digital masters of classic movies shot in the 30s, whereas a movie shot digitally is always going to be that resolution. Hell, there are major blockbusters from less than a decade ago that were only shot in 1080p.

I admit, I own an embarrassingly high amount of Blu-rays. Some of my favorites are:

- Blade Runner
- Hot Fuzz
- ALIEN
- Kingdom of Heaven
- Game of Thrones (currently GOAT)
- Beauty and the Beast
- Tree of Life

I got Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for my birthday but still haven't seen it. It looks like Tin Tin dropped in price too - might have to pick that up.

I've been mostly purchasing Blu-rays recently to test my new sound system. It's my first foray into actual high quality sound. Had only a Dolby Digital Onkyo HTIB before and upgraded to a mid-tier Denon receiver with some Bowers and Wilkins bookshelves + center. The difference is astounding. I'm hearing stuff I've never heard before in movies I've watched hundreds of times before.

zeitgeist

Do all versions of Blade Runner, 2001 and the Alien Saga look the same? I always hold off buying Blu-Rays because I read that some versions of some films suck.

I would also like to +1 for Speed Racer

NIGHT-

Do all versions of Blade Runner, 2001 and the Alien Saga look the same? I always hold off buying Blu-Rays because I read that some versions of some films suck.

I would also like to +1 for Speed Racer

Been wanting to know this as well. Which version of Blade Runner is recommended?

sfedai0

Banned
I really wish I still had a Kuro :(

Why did mine have to break......

My Sony HXH929 is pretty good but the black levels are still not near the Kuro's blackhole esque blacks. I really should get the HX929 fixed like I was supposed to because of really bad clouding, but I've been really busy.

Clouding issues on local dim led set? Is yours turned on? Clouding does appear on menus. I'll admit I havent seen a Kuro in person, but my 929 is fucking awesome.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I hope I got the crappy version. So, so bad.

It's easy to tell which one you have. The banner at the bottom that says 'Experience High Definition' is grey on the old one and silver on the remastered one.

As for Aliens, Cameron was never happy with the way the movie looked and I think the new transfer is out of this world amazing.

Because he doesn't like grain. (derp) The new grading never occurred to him until everyone in Hollywood started doing it recently. It's bullshit. I just saw Tower Heist, and it looks like shit just because of the timing. Ocean's 13 still has the ugliest, most fucked-up timing of any movie from the last several years, though.

TAJ

2001: A Space Odyssey and House of the Flying Daggers.

Wat
Did they remaster that? The one I've seen was notorious for being one of the worst Blus.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Clouding issues on local dim led set? Is yours turned on? Clouding does appear on menus. I'll admit I havent seen a Kuro in person, but my 929 is fucking awesome.

Yeah. The problem is that the clouding is apparent when the zones have to be turned on. If the screen didn't have clouding, they wouldn't appear. Kind of suck :S

Plus I tried to play a game in gaming mode with local dimming off and it had several completely dark settings and it looked awful.

FootballFan

Here's some of Drive, I'll probably post some more of it after I actually watch it:

:eek: Looks pretty good. I haven't seen it yet, bought it yesterday. Looking forward to watching, heard some positive things.

edit
Just wondering, is there any place out there where I can see the top 250 or so blu-ray movies(picture quality wise). I own quite a bit of Blu-Rays and Planet Earth and Spartacus both look much better than the rest of my collection.

Suairyu

Banned
Future proofing, ironically. Warner's been making 8K (8192x4320) digital masters of classic movies shot in the 30s, whereas a movie shot digitally is always going to be that resolution. Hell, there are major blockbusters from less than a decade ago that were only shot in 1080p.
70mm film prints? Because I thought the working maximum usable resolution able to be (realistically) pulled from 35mm caps out at around 5K.

Loofy

Yeah, they did a complete reissue. It's an improvement but still nothing mind-blowing. The best version available is actually the one released in Scandinavia.

Like..
Cinematographic process
Digital Intermediate (2K) (master format)
Fusion Camera (dual-strip 3-D) (source format)
HDCAM SR (1080p/24) (source format)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom