• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Blu-Ray transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
It still doesn't look that great. Film like this deserves a fine comb through but I'm not sure what the state the original negatives are probably in.
2perf Techniscope (the film stock it was shot on -- cheap film stock) isn't too great, and the negative is kinda damaged. Every cut jumps because the glue that holds the film together has warped the frames holding cuts together. Italian transfer is a pretty good representation of the film, but it'd probably be nicer looking if they did it in 4K or whatnot.

Tokubetsu

2perf Techniscope (the film stock it was shot on -- cheap film stock) isn't too great, and the negative is kinda damaged. Every cut jumps because the glue that holds the film together has warped the frames holding cuts together. Italian transfer is a pretty good representation of the film, but it'd probably be nicer looking if they did it in 4K or whatnot.

Yeah, largest jump in quality seems to be face shots. Particularly facial hair.

Marco1

Apologies for going OT but I really wish they would fix some of the film and continuity errors such as the gas cannister and blue jeans sound guy in gladiator when doing these issues.
They fixed the gun-shot in shawshank so why not other movies.

Theonik

Yeah I don't really think there is much that can be done to get a better restoration of the film than what we have now. IIRC they already had to go through quite large lengths to get the best sources available for negatives/prints and even then the source seems to have greatly degraded. Wouldn't hold my breath for better scans anytime soon.
Apologies for going OT but I really wish they would fix some of the film and continuity errors such as the gas cannister and blue jeans sound guy in gladiator when doing these issues.
They fixed the gun-shot in shawshank so why not other movies.
In some of these re-issues they do, but there is typically massive backlash when they do so. Say like the controversy when they fixed the reflection on the glass on the Raiders DVD transfer and removed Misc cables.
I'd personally rather they left the films alone unless they also offered an unaltered version of the film on disk.

Tokubetsu

Yeah I don't really think there is much that can be done to get a better restoration of the film than what we have now. IIRC they already had to go through quite large lengths to get the best sources available for negatives/prints and even then the source seems to have greatly degraded. Wouldn't hold my breath for better scans anytime soon.

In some of these re-issues they do, but there is typically massive backlash when they do so. Say like the controversy when they fixed the reflection on the glass on the Raiders DVD transfer and removed Misc cables etc.
I'd personally rather they left the films alone unless they also offered an unaltered version of the film on disk.

Yea, it's a bit of a slippery slope. It's usually for the best that they leave it alone. Blade Runner gets a pass because A) They went to great lengths to remove it (stunt double facE) and B) They gave us ever other version of the film unaltered like you said.

Marco1

The first two Alien films are almost perfect transfers, and really do deserve a re-watch just to to see how much better they look.

I agree, the first alien with that transfer has not aged at all.
It's amazing what a great transfer can do for an old movie.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
It's a mad mad mad mad world
4530_1_large.jpg

I bought this last summer and it looks amazing.

NOTE: a lot of the images posted here are JPG compressed and don't look quite as good as the actual blu-ray, they just give a general idea.

isny

napkin dispenser
Needs moar Tron.

Both the new one, and the original, look stunning on Blu. The original was cleaned up so well, it's hard to tell it's from the 80's with how crisp the picture is. (In the live action sequences)

3.png

7.png

NekoFever

It's worth saying that although a lot of Warner stuff is quite hit and miss, when they go all out with the remastering the results can be spectacular. They went back to Wizard of Oz, cleaned up every frame and remastered it at 8K resolution, and it's beautiful. That quality job at that resolution is going to keep that movie looking good for the next century.

Theonik

Is there a video game version of this?
Closest thing we have for games I guess.
It's harder to have something like that for games because of the many factors involved with how the final game looks on ones screen but this list of rendering resolutions should help as a general rule of thumb as far as PQ is concerned.

Yea, it's a bit of a slippery slope. It's usually for the best that they leave it alone. Blade Runner gets a pass because A) They went to great lengths to remove it (stunt double facE) and B) They gave us ever other version of the film unaltered like you said.
Blade Runner is the example of how changes like that should be handled imo. Not only did they fix obvious issues with the original release. (like how they re-synched the refinery fires, the stunt double etc) but they gave viewers the choice by giving every version of the film bundled. On the opposite end of the spectrum one needs only to look at the current state of the Star Wars films. What started as simply fixing some minor errors has escalated into what we have today.

Avatar... simply THE best blu-ray to date. 2D and 3D.

For non-CG movies my vote goes to Ben Hur and The Social Network. Also a worthy nod to The Zodiac.

Even after several years of watching Blu-rays I was very impressed with some of the scenes in Baraka.
Learning about the transfer process behind it explained a lot.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Unscientific, but I thought Se7en looked and sounded great.

avatar screens in here look great... but man, I hated the movie.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
After getting my plasma back in november, I'm only now starting to really discover the magic of blu-ray movies. I find it really hard to go back to dvd's tbh, it's a totally different experience.

Up was my first blu animation purchase and man... my jaw hit the floor. It's just amazing how good it looks. I'm now on a mission to get as many Pixar/Disney br's as possible. Might take advantage of the Disney sale on the TheHut right now.

This thread is a godsend btw, going to make up a list with all the mentions that interest me.

Erasus

I find it really hard to go back to dvd's tbh, it's a totally different experience.

I find that DVDs do still look pretty good, especially if the bluray player had a good upscaler. Im not going to replace my DVDs, but all new movies are bought on blu-ray.
Some people irl have said they dont see a difference... I have stopped arguing with them about it. I should show this thread.

StuBurns

Banned
I find that DVDs do still look pretty good, especially if the bluray player had a good upscaler. Im not going to replace my DVDs, but all new movies are bought on blu-ray.
Some people irl have said they dont see a difference... I have stopped arguing with them about it. I should show this thread.
I've enjoyed slowly replacing my collection. Some of my favorite films will most likely never come out on bluray, which is a shame, but generally they've rolled them out over the years slow enough that replacing them has been a joy.

DVD's look okay, but it's really hard to go back to most of them. A lot of stuff probably won't get a Blu release, or won't for a long time, so it's inevitable to have to pop in a DVD once in a while, but I avoid it as much as possible. Currently in the process of repurchasing my favorites. Honestly, the differences in some are like watching a movie for the first time.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Because AVS has no idea what they're talking about.

I mean, goddamn.
It's clean, sure, but it has pretty flat contrast and inconsistent black levels. In some screens the picture's black levels look kinda greyish and in some there's just flat out black crush. And some banding in a few instances.

There are actually downsides to these digital cameras, you know.

TheExodu5

Banned

DVDs only look okay to me if I get to about 4-5' away from my 32" TV. At my usual 2.5'-3' distance, they look quite bad.

Thin Red Line man! Thin Red Line criterion looks so fucking good. Jim Caviezel looks like an angel descended from heaven.

I usually don't feel the need to pick up a movie again on BR, but this is one of the exceptions.

Alien looks stunning. It's hard to believe it was filmed in 1979. Those shots from Zulu look incredible as well. I never though it could look that good, having only ever seen it on TV.

oatmeal

Banned
I mean seriously, no film grain. No film grain! TSN and Red EPIC have completely ruined all non-digital, non-animated films for me. Everything else is just a plain disgrace.

I can't imagine how mindblowing EPIC is going to be for action movies. Prometheus, Amazing Spider-Man and The Hobbit are going to blow people's BALLS OFF.

Of course everything in this post also applies to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, another David Fincher film using Red and thus also looks fricking fantastic.

You know that TSN was shot on the RED One MX, not the EPIC right?

NIGHT-

Would you guys recommend the Lord of the rings extended editions? Or will there be another Blu-ray release in the future?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You know that TSN was shot on the RED One MX, not the EPIC right?

I did after I looked it up on Wikipedia last night. :p

OK, so it wasn't the EPIC. That just means all those movies I listed are going to look even BETTER than TSN.
3AQmK.gif

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's clean, sure, but it has pretty flat contrast and inconsistent black levels. In some screens the picture's black levels look kinda greyish and in some there's just flat out black crush. And some banding in a few instances.

There are actually downsides to these digital cameras, you know.

I do not accept that answer.

Care to provide examples of banding (in any movie)? I can't recognize it. I assume it's when a gradient is choppy and uses less colors instead of a smooth gradient?

I did notice the black levels in some instances, but that's the nitpickest of nitpicks, and easily fixed by future models.

oatmeal

Banned
I did after I looked it up on Wikipedia last night. :p

OK, so it wasn't the EPIC. That just means all those movies I listed are going to look even BETTER than TSN.
3AQmK.gif

Epic-M came out last year, Epic-X came out in the late summer, and the Scarlet-X in November.

He didn't want to shoot on the RED ONE until after the MX sensor upgrade. Seems he's a believer now.

BTW, I have a Scarlet. Fantastic camera.

Soderbergh movies are RED, so what are the reports on the Che blu ray?

I have the DVD collection of both movies, but would like to know before I jump on the blu ray.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Epic-M came out last year, Epic-X came out in the late summer, and the Scarlet-X in November.

He didn't want to shoot on the RED ONE until after the MX sensor upgrade. Seems he's a believer now.

BTW, I have a Scarlet. Fantastic camera.

You... own a Scarlet?!

I want one but I probably won't get a RED camera for at least five years, probably more. :( Hopefully they'll be down in price by then...

Took a couple of images with my phone. I think all of these movies look phenomenal. Avatar also looks amazing but I couldn't bring my self to put it into my player.

Pirates 2:
IMAG0354.jpg

Planet Earth:
IMAG0351.jpg

Tron (if only a picture could capture Dat Soundtrack):
IMAG0348.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom