• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Blu-Ray transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needs more DNR.

86gt3.jpg

Ridley327

I can't get over how much the botched Predator Blu-ray makes Arnold Schwarzenegger look like the world's least convincing pre-op transsexual.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Who wouldn't be with me? Crazies, that's who.
How about people who think that both should coexist? There are ups and downs to both and there's no reason to not support the continued existence of both other than to make silly extreme forum posts. Artists should be able to choose to shoot on whatever they want and make it look how they want. :>

Who wouldn't be with me? Crazies, that's who.
Do you have to be a zealot about everything?

No reasonable headed person who's experienced with photography, film-making or even just art in general is going to advise for the death of film.

As pizzaroll said, artists will look at what they're trying to convey and choose appropriately which method fits their vision.

shira

As several people have noted, Sin City is spectacular visually:
http://h10.abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2011-11-24-08egqph.png[/im]

Really amps up the creep factor on the Yellow Bastard and Elijah Wood's character.[/QUOTE]

Anyone know if the regular is good enough or extended cut is better?
I just saw the regular 1-disc on sale for $8.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Would you guys recommend the Lord of the rings extended editions? Or will there be another Blu-ray release in the future?
Absolutely. They're gorgeous transfers. I can't comment on the quality of anything but the movies themselves though.

In the case of Predator... I'll take the DNR Ultimate Hunters Edition (which I own). I don't mind grain but it's too excessive and distracting in the original blu-ray.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Love me some grain. Sometimes I throw in Close Encounters just to get a gritt injection.

Helmholtz

Would you guys recommend the Lord of the rings extended editions? Or will there be another Blu-ray release in the future?
Yeah, the boxed set is really nice. It includes all the making of stuff too, which I really enjoyed seeing for the first time. Those are on DVDs though.
The picture quality looked really, really nice to me. I don't own many blurays though.
Only complaint is that the movies are each split across two Blurays, but it's not a big deal when the films are this long, and the intermissions occur at good times.
Also, the Canadian version (possibly other places, but I don't think this is the case for the US) has some annoying trailers at the start of each first disc that I have to skip through one by one.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I'm no expert but I thought the extended releases had some bizarre quirks like a heavy blu or green tint that wasn't so pronounced in previous editions and varying picture quality from movie to movie.

Someone on gaf knows better, I'm sure.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Anyone know if the regular is good enough or extended cut is better?
I just saw the regular 1-disc on sale for $8.

Can someone elaborate on this please? Is the picture quality different in these releases? Impulse bought a bunch of blu's yesterday and I couldn't resist a €6 steelbook Sin City, only to read now that there's a great 2 disc version...

My haul : Sin City, Collateral (watched this yesterday. Thought it looked great. If you like grain, get this :p), Thin Red Line, Kingdom of Heaven DC, Platoon, Toy Story 3 and Lion King.

Can't wait to watch all of these.

Theonik

Can someone elaborate on this please? Is the picture quality different in these releases? Impulse bought a bunch of blu's yesterday and I couldn't resist a €6 Sin City, only to read now that there's a great 2 disc version...

My score : Sin City, Collateral (watched this yesterday. Thought it looked great. If you like grain, get this :p), Thin Red Line, Kingdom of Heaven DC, Platoon, Toy Story 3 and Lion King.

Can't wait to watch all these.
Different transfer IIRC. Difference mostly noticeable in the Fellowship.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Well Zodiac is only tier gold too on there. The tiers are pretty nitpicky after a certain point. It's still a useful guide, though.

They're blind. Zodiac is the pinnacle of 1080p video.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The first two Alien films are almost perfect transfers, and really do deserve a re-watch just to to see how much better they look.

They suck. They're both extremely unfaithful to the original looks of the films.
Fellowship of the Rings extended edition makes me gag for the same reason

They suck. They're both extremely unfaithful to the original looks of the films.
Fellowship of the Rings extended edition makes me gag for the same reason

You say that like James Cameron didn't personally oversee the transfer of Aliens, or something.

Alien looks spectacular. What exactly is unfaithful?

StuBurns

Banned
What does that mean? That's not being snarky by the way, I actually want to know.

I watched Tree of Life on bluray today, that's one of the best I've seen, maybe the best non-animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom