• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ScrewAttack's Top 10 Franchises That Need To Die

Terrell

Madden doesn't need to die. Its annual refresh certainly does, but not the series itself. In a DLC world, re-releasing for a roster change is utterly retarded. One could almost argue the same for CoD.

As has already been stated, DDR is already dead.

The rest of the list should read "franchises that need to stop their middling bullshit and start being good again."

Riposte

I did too about 8 rehashes ago.

Regardless of what I think of Dynasty Warriors/Musou, anyone who uses the phrases like "rehash" to describe long-running series comes off as oblivious and lazy. I didn't think you were better than that though.

Madden doesn't need to die. Its annual refresh certainly does, but not the series itself. In a DLC world, re-releasing for a roster change is utterly retarded. One could almost argue the same for CoD.

You are ignoring the reality we actually live in. How is it retarded at all for them to do that? (Also obviously Madden games change more than a roster list, though there isn't much to sing home about.)

Uh, DDR is very much dead. The one for Wii that came out last year was a huge bomb. The PS3 one bombed too.

DDR is alive and performing decently in Japanese arcades, which is the only place the core DDR team has focused on for the better part of a decade. The current revision is X3+2nd Mix. The soundtrack will be released June 27.

There has not been a port of a mainline DDR since the first X, and only the Japanese release was faithful to the arcade.

TheOddOne

"We already finished the fight."

Yeah, that's a great reason Gametrailers. I guess you didn't get that exclusive reveal, eh? Keep hyping up shit.

Metal Gear Solid should be on this list. Not because it's bad, but because it's just time. 4 great games spanning 3 consoles. Good story arc, anything more wouldn't be milking but it'd be unnecessary. Like Godfather 3 or MJ on the Wizard's.
(By no means do I think MGS is even close to being the Godfather or MJ of videogames. Just trying to make an analogy.)

Man, what the hell is up with that list? Freaking bizarre choices, but I guess they wanted some controversy clicks.

I will laugh if GT gives Halo 4 a score between 9 and 10, but then says it needs to die just cause.

Also, CoD needs to take a breathing break, change things up more (how about a real CoD5) and comeback guns blazing.

Try playing online without having your sexuality questioned by a 12 year old.

Welcome the XBL (party chat and mute button are saviors though). =/

The rest of the list should read "franchises that need to stop their middling bullshit and start being good again."

I actually would put Madden there, as well. It used to be a solid sports game, but from what I know has gone down the drain extremely badly with the last few installations.

Tookay

"We already finished the fight."

Yeah, that's a great reason Gametrailers. I guess you didn't get that exclusive reveal, eh? Keep hyping up shit.

I will laugh if GT gives Halo 4 a score between 9 and 10, but then says it needs to die just cause.

Except Screwattack is sort of independent from GT. It's just a bunch of dudes who are nostalgic about games from the 90s. GT just publishes their stuff afaik.

Anyway, the list is inflammatory, but the title could be changed to something like "top franchises that are overexposed and we're tired of" and it'd probably be more accurate. But that doesn't get people riled up and the internet doesn't know how to present a moderate opinion so we get reactions like this.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Regardless of what I think of Dynasty Warriors/Musou, anyone who uses the phrases like "rehash" to describe long-running series comes off as oblivious and lazy. I didn't think you were better than that though.
Sounds a lot like the people that continue to make Dynasty Warriors.

I have been waiting since 2007 for a new halo game with the master chief (yeah i got reach and ODST but that's not the same). I'm also not sure why halo cops so much shit for being milked, there really aren't that many releases.

Bgamer90

Banned
I actually would put Madden there, as well. It used to be a solid sports game, but from what I know has gone down the drain extremely badly with the last few installations.

Madden 12 is actually decent imo. It's just that the game is no where near on the same level as games such as NBA 2K11.

Madden is improving, it's just improving slowly. The improvements that were made to the game recently should have been done during the beginning years of this current gen.

90sRobots

Popular games are dumb, obviously. The inclusion of Angry Birds tells you everything you need to know about that site.

And why do these franchises need to die? I can ignore Dynasty Warriors just fine. Release a new game each month for all I care.

Their reason for Halo is hilarious. Halo 4 might be awesome, but the series should have remain a trilogy....

It's a list of popular stuff that the nerds dont like. Two douchebags crapping on the cool stuff. Screwattack.com....how does it work?

"If Dynasty Warriors is on here, I'm gonna..."

*clicks*

fHVkz.gif

LOL! I did the EXACT same thing Mr. Norton did in this gif when it got to Dynasty Warriors.

Derrick01

Banned
Sounds a lot like the people that continue to make Dynasty Warriors.

Pretty much. They've been banking on the same addictive shit since 3 came out, with less additions each time than the yearly COD games. I should know as I was hooked from 3 to 6, including the xtreme legends and empires games.

Loxley

im ok with the list

my personal list:

- world of warcraft
- zelda
- call of duty
- uncharted

Wha? You mean the Warcraft franchise or just WoW? Either way I don't see why...WoW isn't really hurting anyone by still existing. And the Warcraft franchise as a whole hasn't seen a proper entry since WoW's launch in 2004.

Which reminds me, hey Blizzard, where's my Warcraft IV??? :(

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
No Sonic? Shocking

Sonic Generations redeemed Sonic.
If this list was made right after Unleashed was released id'a said hell yeah Sonic needs to die(Werehog really).

But Generations went back to basics, no silly gimmicks just straight up Sonic lovin
Heck i enjoyed pretty much every Modern Sonic stage....the bosses werent that good but everything else about the game was lovely.

You cannot kill that which has no life.

I am not aiming to kill the franchise, I just would've put it there for the laughs. Cause that would've sparked so much hatred. :3

To be frank, I don't think any franchise "needs to die". To each their own; if people who love CoD or FF keep on buying them, there'll be more CoDs of FFs, until there's nothing left to get.
I would, however, prefer better business ethics (especially regarding the quality of the products) and not treating your customers like cash cows.

TheOddOne

I should not spend so much time in this thread, but I have to get this off my chest. Their reasoning is for most part terrible.

• "It's not that we hate them, it's because we had enough of them and should stop being made." Then avoid them? You're not the only one on the planet. Nobody forced you to play them.
  • "The reason I want COD to die is make the internet stop talking about it." Who forced you to read those comments? They basically say STFU to the gaming communities.
  • "Wait they still make DDR?" Yeah, a franchise that is really niche and barely gets a mention these days needs to die.
  • Madden needs to die because EA owns that market. Really? I get that EA has monopoly, but killing the franchise is stupid. How about giving a clear signal to other companies to go after the licence?
  • They make Halo because MS wants to make money. Yeah, no company wants to make money.
  • "The life of the party wasn't what it use to be." Wait, so you're conclusion is that it will suck regardless if the game is recieved well?
  • "It is the same." Ok, so every sequel fits the top spot basically?
  • "No matter how good the game will be, we already finished the fight in 2007. Let it be, for good." What is this I don't even... all kinds of moronic reasoning.
There is just no defending this.

TheChaos

DDR is alive and performing decently in Japanese arcades, which is the only place the core DDR team has focused on for the better part of a decade. The current revision is X3+2nd Mix. The soundtrack will be released June 27.

There has not been a port of a mainline DDR since the first X, and only the Japanese release was faithful to the arcade.

When I mean dead, I mean over here, obviously. We will never see X3 as Konami has stopped arcade cabinet production entirely.

jokkir

Why you guys are getting riled up over a list from a gaming comedy site is beyond me. They're not trying to get hits from "controversy", a lot of their lists are like this :/

Anywho, yeah, haven't seen DDR in a while. Still love it though.

CrazyDude

Except Screwattack is sort of independent from GT. It's just a bunch of dudes who are nostalgic about games from the 90s. GT just publishes their stuff afaik.

Anyway, the list is inflammatory, but the title could be changed to something like "top franchises that are overexposed and we're tired of" and it'd probably be more accurate. But that doesn't get people riled up and the internet doesn't know how to present a moderate opinion so we get reactions like this.

That would just make the list more inaccurate. I don't see how Halo is more over expose than COD.

Top Bottom